ImageImageImage

Offseason plan : Fixing this mess

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Basileus777
General Manager
And1: 2,031

Re: Offseason plan : Fixing this mess 

Post#61 » by Basileus777 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:58 am

Kobblehead wrote:Making small moves on the margin seems like the way to go.

Keep Embiid and Simmons together. Wait out Horford to expire. Hope the league offices give every franchise an amnesty provision to combat the shrinking cap and we can use it on Tobias.

Embiid/Simmons/Thybulle are 3/5s of a championship starting unit. Build from there.

The cap situation makes this hard to do. Waiting multiple years for Horford to expire with a shrinking cap? What ownership is going to pay repeater tax penalties for a non-contender to wait out a contract?
eagereyez
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,462

Post#62 » by eagereyez » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:58 am

Arsenal wrote:
eagereyez wrote:If the Sixers decide to trade Embiid and build around Simmons, then they should target Towns. Towns is the best 3 pt. shooting C in NBA history. He is the best possible front-court player to pair with Simmons. And Embiid is arguably (probably?) better than Towns, so there is a chance that the TWolves would actually be interested in a trade.

Not that we should do it, but they would say no in order to not break up the Towns/D'Lo bromance.

Not upgrading your roster in order to keep a bromance together does seem like a very LolWolves thing to do.

Also, Towns for Embiid is by no means a panacea. Simmons still needs to improve tremendously if the Sixers want to be contenders. I see him as being the real problem. It is hard to think of a Simmons trade that will bring in a guaranteed star. I think the best the Sixers can get for Simmons is another young and flawed player with some upside, like LaVine, D'Lo, or maybe Ingram. And those trades are still an L for the Sixers, since Simmons is an overall better player. I don't see a perfect solution. If the Sixers could somehow dump Horford on another team without gutting their few remaining assets, that would help a lot.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,121

Post#63 » by Arsenal » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:16 am

How about we keep Embiid and Simmons and fix the crap around them? This talk of having to trade one or the other is tiresome.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,121

Post#64 » by Arsenal » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:17 am

Basileus777 wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:Making small moves on the margin seems like the way to go.

Keep Embiid and Simmons together. Wait out Horford to expire. Hope the league offices give every franchise an amnesty provision to combat the shrinking cap and we can use it on Tobias.

Embiid/Simmons/Thybulle are 3/5s of a championship starting unit. Build from there.

The cap situation makes this hard to do. Waiting multiple years for Horford to expire with a shrinking cap? What ownership is going to pay repeater tax penalties for a non-contender to wait out a contract?

No worries, we'll give away Josh Richardson for nothing to get under the tax line. Prob burn an asset to dump Scott also.

(Money) problem solved!
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,536

Post#65 » by SixthStreet » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:25 am

Fire all basketball related personnel, i.e. entire front office and coaching staff.

Hire a VP of operations that has full, final authority on all hiring and personnel staff with minimal ownership meddling.

Let the VP do their job. Hire head coach, evaluate roster, draft, free agency, potential trades.

If it was me, roster wise I'd basically stay the course unless I can dump Harris without including Thybulle. Take a step back and see if the young guys can step into more prominent roles and really see what you have before shuffling the roster again when you likely lose all trades at the margins. I'd hire a HC that forces Simmons shooting and half court offensive development and give him/her the hammer to actually bench him if he doesn't step out of his comfort zone. I'd also completely stop running offense through Simmons most of next year and use it as an on-court developmental season. He needs to be broken down mentally to accept his new half court role without the ball. The whole Brett Brown "Ben is our PG" needs to be de-programmed.

As far as Embiid, I'm trying to get him to post up less. He needs to get better at his face up game and become a better mid range and 3pt shooter. I know he can make these changes.

If Harris is still around, he needs to start firing a lot more catch and shoot 3s or he's also benched for the young guys. He should clearly be told he has to do what he needs to do to make Simmons and Embiid's jobs easier, even if it's things he doesn't feel comfortable with. Just shoot the damn ball.

We have Simmons and Embiid locked up and I'm giving it at least next season to parse what we have before really visiting a trade of one of them next offseason if that becomes the clear path forward.

EDIT: I have ZERO hope that the second thing on my list will happen, and the rest is really just window dressing without it. So I think we are more or less headed to SVG Pistons era NBA purgatory for the next decade. If I had to make a guess, I'd say both Embiid and Simmons are traded within 2 years to avoid tax and Tobias is our Okafor 2.0 tank commander until his contract expires.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,035

Post#66 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:55 am

Kobblehead wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:Trading up was fine if they took Tatum, they would have effectively destroyed the Celtics with that one pick because they were going to take Josh Jackson if Tatum wasn't there.

I'd much rather have Fox plus the additional 1st rounder. Tatum's size and shooting ability are major benefits, but Fox can score off the dribble from anywhere in the halfcourt and is an elite defender at his position. Pairing a guy like him with Embiid is a deadly combination.

Tatum is a better player and a better fit with both Simmons and Embiid than Fox, he's everything the Sixers were hoping to get from Harris in addition to being a very good defender. Fox is good, but when it comes to wing vs PG, almost always take the wing.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,081

Post#67 » by Kobblehead » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:02 am

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:Tatum is a better player and a better fit with both Simmons and Embiid than Fox, he's everything the Sixers were hoping to get from Harris in addition to being a very good defender. Fox is good, but when it comes to wing vs PG, almost always take the wing.

Nah, he won't be a better player than Fox when it's all said and done.

Tatum doesn't have the handle to get all the way to the rim off the dribble and he's shown to be an exploitable defender when you attack him. He's been more of a complete defender this year, but most of his defensive success is because he's a strong team defender in an elite coach's elite scheme. I still don't see him having the ability to lockdown an opposing star scorer.

Fox scores off the dribble from all three levels, is a fantastic distributor, and is a relentless defender. He's everything we thought we had when we traded up for Fultz.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#68 » by Kobblehead » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:10 am

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:but when it comes to wing vs PG, almost always take the wing.

Not if the wing's ability to score off the dribble is confined to the mid-range and he's a team defender as opposed to a strong individual one.

We're not talking about Kawhi Leonard or Paul George, here.

De'Aaron Fox is like the love child of Chris Paul and Dwayne Wade.
ReddoverKobe
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,888

Post#69 » by ReddoverKobe » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:27 am

First of all, no one is taking the contracts of Horford or Harris unless the sixers throw an ungodly amount of picks with it. They might be two of the top five worst contracts in the league.

So that leaves trading Embiid or Simmons.

Those are the options if you want to blow it up. Otherwise you hope a new coach comes in, you luck out finding some role players.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#70 » by Kobblehead » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:30 am

We have more options than that.

Move Josh Richardson for some shotcreation help and package Milton/Korkmaz for a defensive wing.

Trading either Embiid or Simmons because people in sports media say so is foolish.
SixthStreet
Sixth Man

Post#71 » by SixthStreet » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:33 am

ReddoverKobe wrote:First of all, no one is taking the contracts of Horford or Harris unless the sixers throw an ungodly amount of picks with it. They might be two of the top five worst contracts in the league.

Those are the options.

This is unequivocally false. We don't need to trade either one of Simmons or Embiid. They are both young in age and maybe more importantly, NBA experience with their combined 3 missed seasons to begin their careers. They are not final products by any means. Horford is movable, but Harris is not. But just because you can't trade them doesn't mean you default to trading Simmons or Embiid. That's just stupid, lazy, and defeatist thought.
ReddoverKobe
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,888

Post#72 » by ReddoverKobe » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:37 am

SixthStreet wrote:
ReddoverKobe wrote:First of all, no one is taking the contracts of Horford or Harris unless the sixers throw an ungodly amount of picks with it. They might be two of the top five worst contracts in the league.

Those are the options.

This is unequivocally false. We don't need to trade either one of Simmons or Embiid. They are both young in age and maybe more importantly, NBA experience with their combined 3 missed seasons to begin their careers. They are not final products by any means. Horford is movable, but Harris is not. But just because you can't trade them doesn't mean you default to trading Simmons or Embiid. That's just stupid, lazy, and defeatist thought.

I edited my post. I meant if your team is hell bent on making trades.
DT RAW
Junior
And1: 129

Post#73 » by DT RAW » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:38 am

some of you are acting like tobias and horford are complete 12th man material

under this trash can of a coach, they are god awful, because this coach forces players into his high school system. But both horford and harris under a system that plays to their strengths are winning players. Trick is reminding teams of this and finding ones that will trade with us.

Obvious targets are cp3, conley, rozier, batum, CJ Mccollum, Lavine, Otto Porter, John Wall among some.

It starts with ridding ourselves of this clown we have at head coach, and the clown show GM. Get rid of everyone. Find a coach that believes in playing like its 2020, IE, playing high PnR centered floor spaced offenses with penetrating via the PnR being the objective on every single offensive posession, with kick out 3s as a result of constant rim attacking. Also a coach that doenst go over every single PnR and have the big drop into the paint. A coach that can make good team defense like Boston does, like Toronto does.

You find the right coach, suddenly things can change. Hell, we can even keep harris and horford, if we use simmons and or jrich to go find and elite PnR ball handler to pair with embiid and harris, we are right back into it.

Harris should ONLY be the 4 from here on out if he stays, never a minute at any other position. The new coach needs to use him as a corner spot up 3 guy when he doesnt have the ball, and high PnR when he does have the ball.

I would go around looking for stuff like simmons/jrich/picks for lillard or booker. Or if you cant do that... simmons for CJ mccollum and assets or simmons to chicago for lavin/markanen/picks and coach up lavine on playing team defense

People have to realize simmons is not a championship piece if he is one of your best 2 players. He just isnt.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,446

Post#74 » by youngcrev » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:40 am

Those are the options if you want to blow it up. Otherwise you hope a new coach comes in, you luck out finding some role players.

Horford and Harris aren't the only bad contracts in the league. Bad money for bad money deals aren't that rare. The goal should just be getting a guy that fits better.
SixthStreet
Sixth Man

Post#75 » by SixthStreet » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:41 am

In looking at a silver lining about Simmons, it's clear he is vain and amps up his intrinsic motivation when slighted in public perception. I think everyone saying Doncic is the future of the NBA, playing the same role as Simmons was supposed, a jumbo sized maestro, will drive his work ethic.

To be clear, I think anyone with a brain now knows Doncic is always going to be better than Simmons, and probably by a significant margin, but Simmons seeing this on NBA Twitter, other social media, and on TV will fuel him. To what ends, I don't know.

I think he's always had designs on being one of the marquee faces of the NBA, maybe to be able to force himself to a glamour market like LA or NY or Miami, and this has to grate at him. As it stands right now, he's not on a trajectory that any NY or LA team will develop a multiyear cap clearing expedition to roll out the full court press for him.
NYSixersFan
Veteran
And1: 1,535

Post#76 » by NYSixersFan » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:42 am

There are other bad contracts out there that we can probably swap Horford for.

A Horford and Richardson package is what I would be looking at.

Bottom line...everyone on the roster is available...including Simmons and Embiid
DT RAW
Junior

Post#77 » by DT RAW » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:44 am

SixthStreet wrote:In looking at a silver lining about Simmons, it's clear he is vain and amps up his intrinsic motivation when slighted in public perception. I think everyone saying Doncic is the future of the NBA, playing the same role as Simmons was supposed, a jumbo sized maestro, will drive his work ethic.

To be clear, I think anyone with a brain now knows Doncic is always going to be better than Simmons, and probably by a significant margin, but Simmons seeing this on NBA Twitter, other social media, and on TV will fuel him. To what ends, I don't know.

I think he's always had designs on being one of the marquee faces of the NBA, maybe to be able to force himself to a glamour market like LA or NY or Miami, and this has to grate at him. As it stands right now, he's not on a trajectory that any NY or LA team will develop a multiyear cap clearing expedition to roll out the full court press for him.

if after 4 years of being made fun of for not shooting 3's hasnt lead to him shooting 3s, nothing is going to motivate him
Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,580

Post#78 » by Black Mage » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:19 am

51X3RF4N wrote:Ben, on the other hand is defensively a monster, can guard anybody. And has shown willingness to at least start shooting corner spot up 3s.

What world do you live in??? Ben has shown a willingness to shoot a corner 3??? What, his once every 3 months corner 3 attempt is somehow a willingness to shoot?

The front office has begged him to shoot.

Fans have begged him to shoot.

Coach has begged him to shoot.

Teammates have begged him to shoot.

HE DOESN'T SHOOT. He is mentally and emotionally crippled when it comes to shooting.

Its people inside this organization who think just like this that have caused the Sixers to be screwed because they foolishly built teams on this flawed presumption that Ben Simmons would start shooting.

Not only that, but his pettiness about needing to be the defacto point guard further screwed the Sixers as we passed on drafting or signing a lead ball handler because it would hurt baby Ben's feelings. This was despite him failing miserably in the playoffs time and again in half court offenses.

Ben Simmons' personality and lack of mental toughness is as much a problem for this team as the coach and the FO. If we go through a new FO and coach and he still doesn't change, then his trade value drops as teams will lose faith that he'll ever put it all together.
kio80
Sixth Man
And1: 1,076

Offseason plan : Fixing this mess 

Post#79 » by kio80 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:53 am

Black Mage wrote:
51X3RF4N wrote:Ben, on the other hand is defensively a monster, can guard anybody. And has shown willingness to at least start shooting corner spot up 3s.

What world do you live in??? Ben has shown a willingness to shoot a corner 3??? What, his once every 3 months corner 3 attempt is somehow a willingness to shoot?

HE DOESN'T SHOOT. He is mentally and emotionally crippled when it comes to shooting.

Its people inside this organization who think just like this that have caused the Sixers to be screwed because they foolishly built teams on this flawed presumption that Ben Simmons would start shooting.

Not only that, but his pettiness about needing to be the defacto point guard further screwed the Sixers as we passed on drafting or signing a lead ball handler because it would hurt baby Ben's feelings. This was despite him failing miserably in the playoffs time and again in half court offenses.

Ben Simmons' personality and lack of mental toughness is as much a problem for this team as the coach and the FO. If we go through a new FO and coach and he still doesn't change, then his trade value drops as teams will lose faith that he'll ever put it all together.

We also begged Embiid to get fit, Tobias to draw more fouls, we not getting our prayers answered similarly.
Relax on the not shooting thing, Ben does so much more than shooting and if this Celtics series did not show his value, you are just a blind hater on simmons.

I can’t believe there’s still ppl thinking trading simmons will be a good idea. I mean, it’s good for Simmons to go somewhere else for his own good cause this FO sucks, but the best thing to do next season is to get a new coach, a new GM if possible and stick with the he current roster instead of making all the changes, getting **** deals and starting from scratch.
This team will not be a contender anytime soon, adjust your expectations and root for another team if you want to root for a contending team. It is what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DT RAW
Junior

Post#80 » by DT RAW » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:58 am

Black Mage wrote:

this 100%.. this endless defense on ben simmons is maddening from this fan base and the front office and coach

Return to Philadelphia 76ers