ImageImageImage

Report: Brett Brown played hand in breaking up team because he didn’t want to deal with Jimmy Butler

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,458

Re: Report: Brett Brown played hand in breaking up team because he didn’t want to deal with Jimmy Butler 

Post#41 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:37 am

The front office can deflect all the blame they want to towards Brett Brown. Jimmy Butler has openly stated that Brown was pretty much the reason he didn't want to be here. Now.....I get pinning some of this on Brett. We've all noticed his really effing weird rotations along with his failure to actually play guys that can help this team (Trey Burke), but there is absolutely no denying or ignoring the horrific abortion of a GM that Elton Brand is! Ya know....Brand is a young GM and he had no experience what so ever before taking this job. I hope this is a good learning experience for him, but it's mainly him that has sunk this team in my opinion. With that said, it's definitely time to move on from Brett Brown. I'm just saying that the front office can place blame everywhere else if they want, but the rest of Sixer world knows that this has been a collective effort in sinking this ship and Elton Brand deserves to be fired just as much if not more than Brett Brown does.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,458

Re: Report: Brett Brown played hand in breaking up team because he didn’t want to deal with Jimmy Butler 

Post#42 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:43 am

Correct me if i'm wrong, but maybe it's the politics behind all this that we don't see that makes this so maddening as fans of this team. I mean every work place has nepotism, every work place from professional sports on down to grocery store jobs has it's fair share of BS incompetent people that are put in positions to lead. We all know this exists and i'm sure that this organization is not exempt from that type of stuff. I don't expect Brown to return as he IS the fall guy for this season. If Brand returns, I fully expect similar rotations on this team even if there is a new coach in place because whoever we hire to coach this team will not have full control over the scheme, style, fit, or rotation. Some of the decisions will come from up high. There's no way Norvell Pelle will play more minutes than Al Horford despite the fact that he's probably deserving of them at this point. There's absolutely the possibility that the team tries to inflate Tobias Harris's stats so that he can be traded. I worry about all the behind the scenes BS, because I think it's a legitimate concern with this franchise. I mean, how long until Ben or Jo ask out. I'd say if we go into next season and we're still struggling to find cohesion and win games, that we could very well see a big trade or fire sale so to speak. The process will have ended before it even began.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,119

Post#43 » by Arsenal » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:49 am

Pump and dump on Tobias is an excellent idea. That's what Jerry West did to pawn off Tobias on our idiot front office.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,745

Post#44 » by Negrodamus » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:54 am

Arsenal wrote:Pump and dump on Tobias is an excellent idea. That's what Jerry West did to pawn off Tobias on our idiot front office.

Except he wasn't the $180 million proverbial hot potato yet.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,119

Post#45 » by Arsenal » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:55 am

Negrodamus wrote:
Arsenal wrote:Pump and dump on Tobias is an excellent idea. That's what Jerry West did to pawn off Tobias on our idiot front office.

Except he wasn't the $180 million proverbial hot potato yet.

Please allow me to have this one nice dream. I have nothing else.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,742

Post#46 » by Sixersftw » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:56 am

I hope none of you guys buy that Jimmy was solely moved because of the whims of a coach that has been on the hotseat for 2+ years. I'm sure Brett didn't want to **** with Jimmy but this screams of all the rats scurrying to save their careers. Pathetic. Fire Everybody.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,703

Post#47 » by the_process » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:22 am

Sixersftw wrote:I hope none of you guys buy that Jimmy was solely moved because of the whims of a coach that has been on the hotseat for 2+ years. I'm sure Brett didn't want to **** with Jimmy but this screams of all the rats scurrying to save their careers. Pathetic. Fire Everybody.

What is logical is that management (including Brett) didn't want to deal with the loose cannon that is Jimmy Butler so they all agreed to just go deal for Tobias to "provide cover" when they let Jimmy walk. Then they got lucky that Jimmy wanted to go to a capped out team that had to deal for him.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,742

Post#48 » by Sixersftw » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:44 am

the_process wrote:
Sixersftw wrote:I hope none of you guys buy that Jimmy was solely moved because of the whims of a coach that has been on the hotseat for 2+ years. I'm sure Brett didn't want to **** with Jimmy but this screams of all the rats scurrying to save their careers. Pathetic. Fire Everybody.

What is logical is that management (including Brett) didn't want to deal with the loose cannon that is Jimmy Butler so they all agreed to just go deal for Tobias to "provide cover" when they let Jimmy walk. Then they got lucky that Jimmy wanted to go to a capped out team that had to deal for him.

No doubt but I'll be damned if they didn't move to this "cooperative" and "collective" front office eschewing a real front office led by a singular GM who would take the lion share of the blame and credit. And they all collectively made a series of decisions, which all amount to throwing good money after bad after the Fultz trade. Fultz -> Jimmy -> Tobias -> Horford. But the moment that all these piss poor collectively made decisions came home to roost, they all run to the media to point the finger at just Brett. I thought we were doing things collectively? They're **** cowards. Once again, fire them all.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,703

Post#49 » by the_process » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:50 am

Sixersftw wrote:
the_process wrote:

No doubt but I'll be damned if they didn't move to this "cooperative" and "collective" front office eschewing a real front office led by a singular GM who would take the lion share of the blame and credit. And they all collectively made a series of decisions, which all amount to throwing good money after bad after the Fultz trade. Fultz -> Jimmy -> Tobias -> Horford. But the moment that all these piss poor collectively made decisions came home to roost, they all run to the media to point the finger at just Brett. I thought we were doing things collectively? They're **** cowar ds. Once again, fire them all.

I really do hope ownership cleans house and goes and gets a POBO and lets him run the whole show.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,446

Post#50 » by youngcrev » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:01 am

Ah, so it's a collaborative effort until the ship is sinking, and then it becomes every man for himself. Got it.

I'm giving away +1s left and right in this thread. Glad so many are on the same page of this being a hit piece by certain people in charge trying to deflect blame.
phifans
Veteran
And1: 586

Post#51 » by phifans » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:58 am

Usually I will feel sorry for a head coach who takes all the blames for the loss at the very end. But Brett Brown man... he deserves every blames people throw at him...

Not to making excuse for the FO though they were equally horrible and should all be fired as well.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,416

Post#52 » by 76ciology » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:23 am

Ask the insiders, they know the true story.

We chose Ben over Jimmy.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,734

Post#53 » by Diop » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:55 am

I still feel the Horford signing was the most head scratching. Jimmy can be abrupt with team mates, it was probably easier to let him walk other than trying to fit the egos.
Tobias sort of fits as a tweener between Ben and Embiid. But Horford just made the team too top heavy.

Should've gone all out for Kemba or some of the other shooters that were signed instead. Just sign an average backup centre.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,654

Post#54 » by stormi » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:06 am

Jimmy liking Ben's "#runitback" picture a week after losing game 7 btw.

Jimmy was willing to make it work, Brett Brown and ownership had other ideas.
76thBearCub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,713

Post#55 » by 76thBearCub » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:12 am

****, the, bed. Big time.
nurseryc
Analyst
And1: 1,236

Post#56 » by nurseryc » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:25 am

What time today are we firing BB. Waiting for it to be announced
geradix
Freshman
And1: 10

Post#57 » by geradix » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:54 am

Things will only change if the managing owners, Harris and Blitzer, want to do it. And everything they’ve done so far is to double down on Colangelo’s clowns. Our best hope is that the other owners either buy them out, or persuade them to to let them have a crack to run the organization. Either scenario is a long shot.

It’s more likely however that BB will be made the scapegoat, and they run it back with the same old FO. As long as they keep Simmons and Embiid on the roster, it will continue to generate revenue. $$$ is all they care about anyway.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#58 » by 76ciology » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:05 pm

To be fair with Brett..

We really gave him a shot. Multiple shots.

Then you watch this season. Ben went down. Hell, even Tobi went down in g4.

He lose this job based on his skill and luck. He also is still under contract even when fired.

If I’m Brett, there are no regrets. He got the full experience as an NBA head coach. Hell, it may even be redemption if this team goes nowhere even after his dismissal
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#59 » by 76ciology » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:07 pm

nurseryc wrote:What time today are we firing BB. Waiting for it to be announced

I think around wednesday onwards would be realistic. It’s sooner than later
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,446

Post#60 » by youngcrev » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:24 pm

Anyone just hear Keith on 97.5? Seemed like he was being wary of saying anything bad about Brett (beyond what's already out there) and ripping their management structure and kinda deflecting from Elton. I only caught the tail end though, so I'll have to see if it's up on their website later

Kinda wonder if they'll clean house of the Colangelo crew, keep Elton, and hire a president of basketball operations above him (or give a coach that power)

Return to Philadelphia 76ers