ImageImageImage

Breaking: Brett Brown Fired

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,495

Re: Breaking: Brett Brown Fired 

Post#121 » by GoSixersBro » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:11 pm

eyeatoma wrote:Can someone tell me why everyone loves him so much. I get Villanova is a powerhouse college team with him leading it. But so what? Why does that mean it'll translate? Is it just cuz he's a local guy?

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Yes.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,183

Post#122 » by M2J » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:58 am

GoSixersBro wrote:
M2J wrote:Let's see how Brand reboots this roster, or if they run it back with a better coach and push for improvement rather than retooling.
There are 3 23 year olds in this team with a great amount of talent on this team, plus Joel and Tobias and Josh still have upside at their ages.

I'm not sold on Brand, but all of his moves made sense to me. Drafted Markelle when they needed shooting or a pg. Locked in Kork and Shake to be shooters, when they hadn't proven themselves. Shake is a legit starter level player, and really so is Thybulle.

On an early exit playoff team, sure.

Shake could start for the Lakers right now with his shooting ability. Maybe Matisse too. Their talents suggest they could fit in and add specialities next to real superstar talents. Probably both better than a Daniel Tice that was placed within a starting lineup for a contender. I maintain that the sixers biggest concerns has to be how well their superstars play. Even Joel, he played very well this series... against Daniel Tice. Didn't quite dominate
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#123 » by agiaco » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:34 pm

M2J wrote:
GoSixersBro wrote:
M2J wrote:Let's see how Brand reboots this roster, or if they run it back with a better coach and push for improvement rather than retooling.
There are 3 23 year olds in this team with a great amount of talent on this team, plus Joel and Tobias and Josh still have upside at their ages.

I'm not sold on Brand, but all of his moves made sense to me. Drafted Markelle when they needed shooting or a pg. Locked in Kork and Shake to be shooters, when they hadn't proven themselves. Shake is a legit starter level player, and really so is Thybulle.

Shake could start for the Lakers right now with his shooting ability. Maybe Matisse too. Their talents suggest they could fit in and add specialities next to real superstar talents. Probably both better than a Daniel Tice that was placed within a starting lineup for a contender. I maintain that the sixers biggest concerns has to be how well their superstars play. Even Joel, he played very well this series... against Daniel Tice. Didn't quite dominate

I like both Shake and Matisse and see them as part of the future, but don't think either is ready to step into a starting role on a championship contending team for another couple of years.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,183

Post#124 » by M2J » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:15 pm

agiaco wrote:
M2J wrote:
GoSixersBro wrote:

I like both Shake and Matisse and see them as part of the future, but don't think either is ready to step into a starting role on a championship contending team for another couple of years.

Whether it's next year, or a couple... Point was that they're quality young starters now, and likely championship level starters in their current contract and Elton Brand deserves credit for acquiring them and they're high quality trade assets. Better assets and comparable players on the level of Daniel Tice, KCP, McGee, similar to OG, Duncan Robinson, that play on other contenders right now.... But play around stars playing to their potential and well coached teams right now and aren't in their first years of experience.
freshie2
RealGM
And1: 599

Post#125 » by freshie2 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:45 pm

Jay Wright or Tony Bennett are my two. Not looking for the NBA re-tread. Lue isn't special and while I think the assistant would be good, I think you have to clean house of all prior coaches.
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#126 » by agiaco » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:21 am

M2J wrote:
agiaco wrote:
M2J wrote:

Whether it's next year, or a couple... Point was that they're quality young starters now, and likely championship level starters in their current contract and Elton Brand deserves credit for acquiring them and they're high quality trade assets. Better assets and comparable players on the level of Daniel Tice, KCP, McGee, similar to OG, Duncan Robinson, that play on other contenders right now.... But play around stars playing to their potential and well coached teams right now and aren't in their first years of experience.

I definitely like what they do. Both versatile guys. Matisse will continue to improve his 3-pt shooting. If Shake can improve his decision making and defensive awareness he could be special.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,449

Post#127 » by Eyeamok » Thu Oct 1, 2020 3:28 pm

The Thunders should give Coach Brown serious consideration. He is excellent with rebuilding teams and keeping the young guys motivated.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,011

Post#128 » by Bum Adebayo » Thu Oct 1, 2020 8:57 pm

Eyeamok wrote:The Thunders should give Coach Brown serious consideration. He is excellent with rebuilding teams and keeping the young guys motivated.

This doesn't make sense, we need Brett in the east so there is one team less to worry about in playoffs.
Great takes since 2024-04-20
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,866

Post#129 » by Stanford » Thu Oct 1, 2020 9:22 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:The Thunders should give Coach Brown serious consideration. He is excellent with rebuilding teams and keeping the young guys motivated.

This doesn't make sense, we need Brett in the east so there is one team less to worry about in playoffs.

Good one, homie. Really a well constructed joke
PhillyNj
Sixth Man
And1: 536

Post#130 » by PhillyNj » Mon Oct 5, 2020 5:27 pm

Brown was a flat out bad coach..glad he’s gone.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant

Post#131 » by Eyeamok » Wed Oct 7, 2020 1:22 pm

PhillyNj wrote:Brown was a flat out bad coach..glad he’s gone.

No Brown was good for player motivation and for keeping the 76ers draft picks in the top tier of the draft when the team needed them to be high. Even when the league changed the rules Brown did just enough to be bad but not enough to lose the team. That is a good skill to have.

Marlo
mithrandir17
Veteran
And1: 1,609

Post#132 » by mithrandir17 » Wed Oct 7, 2020 3:44 pm

Eyeamok wrote:

No Brown was good for player motivation and for keeping the 76ers draft picks in the top tier of the draft when the team needed them to be high. Even when the league changed the rules Brown did just enough to be bad but not enough to lose the team. That is a good skill to have.

That skill is best served as an assistant coach and not a head coach. That's where Brown lost his job. He kept baby sitting even when we passed the rebuilding mode.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,563

Post#133 » by 76ciology » Wed Oct 7, 2020 5:14 pm

mithrandir17 wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:

That skill is best served as an assistant coach and not a head coach. That's where Brown lost his job. He kept baby sitting even when we passed the rebuilding mode.

Exactly.

I think Brett is better as a guy who conducts a seminar to rookie players or rookie coaches on what NBA is like. He’s going to be at a gym with players and coaching at their sits and he’d be like.. “lesson 1, pass is king” then he’d be doing some trivias in the middle of the session and when someone answer correctly, he’d be like.. “ring the bell young fella” :lol:

He’s a really nice guy. But you can’t have nice guys to mentor high draft picks because they think they are bigger than life. Like I say.. at best, I think Biid and Ben see Brett only as their equal. There is just no respect.

I’d think that if Brett tell Ben to shoot. Ben would be like.. “why would I listen to you? Find a way to make this team work without me needing to shoot.”

This is why I think we hired a big name coach in Doc. This is aside from the fact that he’s just a way better coach than Brett. He’s younger than Brett and has accomplished more than Brett when he was with the Magic back in the 90s.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant

Post#134 » by Eyeamok » Wed Oct 7, 2020 8:02 pm

mithrandir17 wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:

How does an assistant coach keep the team in the running to get the #1 pickb? You do make a valid point about the baby sitting aspect though.

Marlo
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#135 » by Sixerscan » Wed Oct 7, 2020 8:04 pm

Good they moved on but you don't win 52 games and a playoff round with the 2018 roster with a bad coach.
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#136 » by nolang1 » Wed Oct 7, 2020 10:16 pm

Sixerscan wrote:Good they moved on but you don't win 52 games and a playoff round with the 2018 roster with a bad coach.

I mean, Embiid was a top 5-10 player and the East-West disparity was such that the Heat were on par with the 10th-place team in the West that year. On top of that they had guys like Redick and Amir Johnson who already had track records as solid role players on playoff teams and guys like Covington, McConnell, Saric, and Holmes who have been good contributors on other teams since then. And that's without even mentioning adding Simmons' ROY performance. So to me it's semantic if you say it still takes a 'good' coach to get those results because the vast majority of NBA head coaches are more or less competent. Even the best coaches don't have more of an impact than good players, so if you don't get mad about the idea of trading Horford or Harris or whoever to marginally upgrade the roster, then it should make total sense to try to make the same upgrade from a coaching standpoint, especially if there's the possibility that the players have tuned out the current coach.
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#137 » by VDT » Wed Oct 7, 2020 10:51 pm

I doubt RIvers is a better coach than Brown. This was the first year of underachieving (plus the last year's regular season) and the roster construction was mostly to blame. He is just not a household name and he was on a hot seat since Hinkie left. Coaches like Stevens can have bad years due to the way the roster is constructed but no one thinks to fire them. The impact of a coach is, most of the times, not very big anyway. The blame is most of the times on the FO. Coaches are just the scapegoats.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#138 » by Sixerscan » Thu Oct 8, 2020 12:08 am

nolang1 wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:Good they moved on but you don't win 52 games and a playoff round with the 2018 roster with a bad coach.

I mean, Embiid was a top 5-10 player and the East-West disparity was such that the Heat were on par with the 10th-place team in the West that year. On top of that they had guys like Redick and Amir Johnson who already had track records as solid role players on playoff teams and guys like Covington, McConnell, Saric, and Holmes who have been good contributors on other teams since then. And that's without even mentioning adding Simmons' ROY performance. So to me it's semantic if you say it still takes a 'good' coach to get those results because the vast majority of NBA head coaches are more or less competent. Even the best coaches don't have more of an impact than good players, so if you don't get mad about the idea of trading Horford or Harris or whoever to marginally upgrade the roster, then it should make total sense to try to make the same upgrade from a coaching standpoint, especially if there's the possibility that the players have tuned out the current coach.

Oh yeah I'm not saying he's a great coach just that he wasn't bad, definitely agree with the bolded and as I said it makes sense to move on especially to someone like Rivers.
Young22
Sophomore
And1: 43

Post#139 » by Young22 » Thu Oct 8, 2020 12:11 am

VDT wrote:I doubt RIvers is a better coach than Brown. This was the first year of underachieving (plus the last year's regular season) and the roster construction was mostly to blame. He is just not a household name and he was on a hot seat since Hinkie left. Coaches like Stevens can have bad years due to the way the roster is constructed but no one thinks to fire them. The impact of a coach is, most of the times, not very big anyway. The blame is most of the times on the FO. Coaches are just the scapegoats.

So you think any coach would have taken the Heat to the finals?
still in payne
Sophomore
And1: 54

Post#140 » by still in payne » Thu Oct 8, 2020 3:25 am

For those still fighting the Brett Brown good head coach fight, isn't it interesting that teams with head coaching vacancies don't seem interested in hiring him? Even Atkinson is getting consideration. Doc had teams interested immediately.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers