ImageImageImage

Elton Speaks:Look into the Future; Death of the Colab?

Moderators: BullyKing, HartfordWhalers, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

VDT
Starter
Posts: 2,173
And1: 1,280
Joined: Oct 13, 2018

Re: Elton Speaks:Look into the Future; Death of the Colab? 

Post#21 » by VDT » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:52 pm

VDT wrote:No need to analyze what he said. It is just an excuse. They said the same thing when they brought Colangelo. The fact that he tries to argue that he , as a GM, is not responsible for this mess is ridiculous and defies any logic. At this point i think he just says random things just to keep the discussion away from him. One has to be an idiot to believe that it is everyone else's fault and that the GM had no role in that.
AI_Efficiency
Pro Prospect
Posts: 965
And1: 391
Joined: Jan 18, 2017

Re: Elton Speaks:Look into the Future; Death of the Colab? 

Post#22 » by AI_Efficiency » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:57 pm

BullyKing wrote:
Arsenal wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

I suppose that means we’re keeping Horford. I’m thinking Brand “runs it back”, lol. I won’t watch next season if that’s the plan.


God I hope he's just posturing for Al's trade value. Though I have a sickening feeling he actually believes this.


He sort of has to say this because the truthful answer of "well I signed these guys enormous contracts just a year ago and both are pretty untradeable as I traded all of the assets I could have otherwise used to upgrade them already" isn't that great either.

Yea, you never know, but I would be shocked if anyone over there still thinks Al can fit with Embiid/Simmons. I just assume he doesn't want to (a) look bad; and (b) possibly lower Al's trade value even more, by saying nah the guys is a terrible fit and needs to go ASAP.
DT RAW
Sophomore
Posts: 196
And1: 87
Joined: Jan 07, 2020

Re: Elton Speaks:Look into the Future; Death of the Colab? 

Post#23 » by DT RAW » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:00 pm

if we run this team back I will also refuse to watch next year.. may help me become an NBA player fan rather than a team fan tbh.. this organization is just pure trash

If it wasnt for Iverson putting the entire franchise on his back we wouldnt have even had 2001
PhilaOwnsBoston
Veteran
Posts: 2,671
And1: 1,502
Joined: Mar 19, 2018
 

Re: Elton Speaks:Look into the Future; Death of the Colab? 

Post#24 » by PhilaOwnsBoston » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:38 pm

So let me get this straight.

They hire a GM with no experience. He overpays for Tobias Harris and then overpays him again in free agency.

He lets his best shooter and shot creator/perimeter scorers go without adequately replacing them.

His premiere free agent signing is a backup center who they planned to be effective starting when Embiid when previous history has shown lineups where Embiid is paired with other big men never worked offensively.

He admits he was in over his head(like everyone expected).

But Josh Harris is doubling down on it. Likely because he doesn't want to eat the money they picked up on his contract.

I get fans are fans and all that, but how people can keep coming back time and time again when all they do is spit in your face over and over just boggles the mind. They don't care about you. Winning isn't their priority. Saving face and the bottom line will always take precedent.
DT RAW
Sophomore
Posts: 196
And1: 87
Joined: Jan 07, 2020

Re: Elton Speaks:Look into the Future; Death of the Colab? 

Post#25 » by DT RAW » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:02 pm

PhilaOwnsBoston wrote:So let me get this straight.

They hire a GM with no experience. He overpays for Tobias Harris and then overpays him again in free agency.

He lets his best shooter and shot creator/perimeter scorers go without adequately replacing them.

His premiere free agent signing is a backup center who they planned to be effective starting when Embiid when previous history has shown lineups where Embiid is paired with other big men never worked offensively.

He admits he was in over his head(like everyone expected).

But Josh Harris is doubling down on it. Likely because he doesn't want to eat the money they picked up on his contract.

I get fans are fans and all that, but how people can keep coming back time and time again when all they do is spit in your face over and over just boggles the mind. They don't care about you. Winning isn't their priority. Saving face and the bottom line will always take precedent.


Once I see what they do this offseason, I will be assessing my fanhood. I'm only a fan of this team to begin with because of a player, Iverson. Stuck with them ever since. But if we go another offseason showing pure stupidity and ignorance and insanity to try and try and try the same thing over and over and over again, I may be done. I'm just over complete incompetent organizations that I owe nothing too
the_process
RealGM
Posts: 18,425
And1: 4,429
Joined: May 01, 2010

Re: Elton Speaks:Look into the Future; Death of the Colab? 

Post#26 » by the_process » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:05 pm

Negrodamus wrote:"More basketball minds"... I hope that doesn't mean removing analytical minds.


It certainly does. That's code for "less geeks and more guys "who played the game"" :lol:
User avatar
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,649
And1: 689
Joined: Feb 14, 2008
       

Re: Elton Speaks:Look into the Future; Death of the Colab? 

Post#27 » by 51X3RF4N » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:26 pm

What is truly worrisome to me is that after the draft, Elton said "it'll make sense soon" and it still doesn't make sense. They traded all those 2nds for cash rather than grabbing someone like Bol Bol to develop.

Then he went and blew the free agency period, but Josh Harris said he thought Elton "nailed it". He was excited about the moves Elton made.

And now, with hindsight seeing how absolutely putrid those moves were, the first thing they do is fire the coach who was forced to run with 2 starting Centers and 2 starting PFs in his 5.

And yet Elton is off the hook, and being praised even more when all he's done since being handed the job, (which i think brett had a big part in) is mess things up.

Or was it a collaboration to make the moves Elton made? Did he feel differently than the group and ended up doing things he felt pressured into doing because his voice wasn't being heard?

Was he hired to be a yes man and follow what Harris wanted him to do? Is that why Harris was so excited about the cost saving trades and moves Brand made???

Is Brand now going to be free to make his own moves and change things up??
Your Future Sixers:

C- Embiid/Patton
PF- ?/Bolden
SF- Butler/?
SG- ?/Zhaire
PG- Simmons/Shamet
PhillyPhilly
Rookie
Posts: 1,209
And1: 449
Joined: Jul 01, 2018
       

Re: Elton Speaks:Look into the Future; Death of the Colab? 

Post#28 » by PhillyPhilly » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:33 pm

Elton openly just said "THE COLLABORATIVE EFFORT DIDN'T WORK"....PLUS HE STILL HAD BRYAN'S FOLKS ALL AROUND HIM!!..BUT OF COURSE THE BRAND DETRACTORS WILL CONTINUE TO IGNORE THOSE FACTS AND BLAME HIM FOR EVERYTHING!!..THANK GOD HARRIS AND CO ARE MORE SMARTER THAN THAT :D .
SixthStreet
Junior
Posts: 400
And1: 203
Joined: May 31, 2018
       

Re: Elton Speaks:Look into the Future; Death of the Colab? 

Post#29 » by SixthStreet » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:42 pm

You can call it. This iteration of the Sixers is done. Finished. Josh Harris is keeping Brand around because he's cover for him to be the de facto personnel boss. It will result in the trade of Embiid and Simmons when the ship is fully wrecked.

I'll watch this team on TV because I love Embiid and think Simmons has a lot of potential but I'm not spending any other sort of money that could eventually hit Harris' wallet like tickets, apparel, and other odds and ends. I'll do that when a real president of basketball operations is hired with true control, a la Sam Hinkie. It's my belief it will never happen under Harris' ownership.

We have our very own Daniel Synder. It's fun to be an Eagles fan with a divisional foe with that once in a generation type of dysfunctional ownership that is an endless supply of laughter but boy does it suck to be on the other end.
NYSixersFan
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,990
And1: 647
Joined: May 21, 2014
       

Re: Elton Speaks:Look into the Future; Death of the Colab? 

Post#30 » by NYSixersFan » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:49 pm

I don't care if they hire a bunch of "basketball minds"...... Who is making the personnel decisions?

Elton saying it's up to the coach to figure out how to use Horford...Might as well have said..."I want a coach who knows how to fit this square peg into a round hole".
Negrodamus
RealGM
Posts: 14,200
And1: 5,658
Joined: Aug 05, 2004

Re: Elton Speaks:Look into the Future; Death of the Colab? 

Post#31 » by Negrodamus » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:56 pm

Brand is likely going to make one major move this summer and it's going to be trading Tobias Harris. He will be traded for one of the older PGs (Conley, Paul, Wall) and will create enough intrigue with the team to bring back fans next season. It will work in the sense that we'll likely be a top 3 seed (unless egos blow the whole thing up), but still get knocked out in the second round.
Negrodamus
RealGM
Posts: 14,200
And1: 5,658
Joined: Aug 05, 2004

Re: Elton Speaks:Look into the Future; Death of the Colab? 

Post#32 » by Negrodamus » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:03 pm

Maybe he'll hire Mike Dunleavy, the coach who brought him to his only playoff appearance while on the Clippers.
eagereyez
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,895
And1: 4,314
Joined: May 05, 2012
   

Re: Elton Speaks:Look into the Future; Death of the Colab? 

Post#33 » by eagereyez » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:18 pm

VDT wrote:Brand needs one more chance. Expect the worst.

Also, did he just used being clueless as an excuse?

"I can't be blamed for this failure - I didn't know what I was doing." - Elton Brand
Negrodamus
RealGM
Posts: 14,200
And1: 5,658
Joined: Aug 05, 2004

Re: Elton Speaks:Look into the Future; Death of the Colab? 

Post#34 » by Negrodamus » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:33 pm

Read on Twitter
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
Posts: 30,797
And1: 12,954
Joined: Jan 25, 2005

Re: Elton Speaks:Look into the Future; Death of the Colab? 

Post#35 » by Sixerscan » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:38 pm

Negrodamus wrote:Maybe he'll hire Mike Dunleavy, the coach who brought him to his only playoff appearance while on the Clippers.


Hah well arguably that playoff appearance had more to do with Cassell who is also an option.
User avatar
Arsenal
General Manager
Posts: 9,688
And1: 4,851
Joined: Jun 05, 2002
Location: Arlington, VA
         

Re: Elton Speaks:Look into the Future; Death of the Colab? 

Post#36 » by Arsenal » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:47 pm

PhilaOwnsBoston wrote:So let me get this straight.

They hire a GM with no experience. He overpays for Tobias Harris and then overpays him again in free agency.

He lets his best shooter and shot creator/perimeter scorers go without adequately replacing them.

His premiere free agent signing is a backup center who they planned to be effective starting when Embiid when previous history has shown lineups where Embiid is paired with other big men never worked offensively.

He admits he was in over his head(like everyone expected).

But Josh Harris is doubling down on it. Likely because he doesn't want to eat the money they picked up on his contract.

I get fans are fans and all that, but how people can keep coming back time and time again when all they do is spit in your face over and over just boggles the mind. They don't care about you. Winning isn't their priority. Saving face and the bottom line will always take precedent.


I'm not coming back next year if they don't get someone in here who knows what they're doing. If not, I'm out. I don't have time in my life to waste on arrogant jackass incompetent losers.
#ThankYouSam | #TrustTheProcess
User avatar
Arsenal
General Manager
Posts: 9,688
And1: 4,851
Joined: Jun 05, 2002
Location: Arlington, VA
         

Re: Elton Speaks:Look into the Future; Death of the Colab? 

Post#37 » by Arsenal » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:48 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
Read on Twitter


Scott O'Neill doesn't take enough abuse for his crimes in Philly. Absolute worthless t#rd.
#ThankYouSam | #TrustTheProcess
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
Posts: 10,637
And1: 10,074
Joined: Jan 16, 2014

Re: Elton Speaks:Look into the Future; Death of the Colab? 

Post#38 » by BullyKing » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:57 pm

PhillyPhilly wrote:Elton openly just said "THE COLLABORATIVE EFFORT DIDN'T WORK"....PLUS HE STILL HAD BRYAN'S FOLKS ALL AROUND HIM!!..BUT OF COURSE THE BRAND DETRACTORS WILL CONTINUE TO IGNORE THOSE FACTS AND BLAME HIM FOR EVERYTHING!!..THANK GOD HARRIS AND CO ARE MORE SMARTER THAN THAT :D .


So your argument in support of Brand is that he actually admits that his tenure has been a complete failure but claims that its someone else's fault. Good thing you decided to scream in all caps because otherwise I would think that is one of the most hilariously unpersuasive arguments I've ever heard.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
PhillyPhilly
Rookie
Posts: 1,209
And1: 449
Joined: Jul 01, 2018
       

Re: Elton Speaks:Look into the Future; Death of the Colab? 

Post#39 » by PhillyPhilly » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:08 pm

BullyKing wrote:
So your argument in support of Brand is that he actually admits that his tenure has been a complete failure but claims that its someone else's fault. Good thing you decided to scream in all caps because otherwise I would think that is one of the most hilariously unpersuasive arguments I've ever heard.


His "tenure" being ONE OFFSEASON and ONE DRAFT? Wow that's a lifetime if I ever saw it. The bottom line is he was clearly not given the same amount of power other GM's hold in the league...his latest statements seem to suggest that's changed now though so we'll see how he does. Jerry West just sold the farm for Paul George!!..but hey!!..let's run EB out of town because he played a part in signing a 20 ppg wing and a veteran C who could cover for Joel!!...how could we ever forgive him? :D
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
Posts: 10,637
And1: 10,074
Joined: Jan 16, 2014

Re: Elton Speaks:Look into the Future; Death of the Colab? 

Post#40 » by BullyKing » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:12 pm

PhillyPhilly wrote:
BullyKing wrote:
So your argument in support of Brand is that he actually admits that his tenure has been a complete failure but claims that its someone else's fault. Good thing you decided to scream in all caps because otherwise I would think that is one of the most hilariously unpersuasive arguments I've ever heard.


His "tenure" being ONE OFFSEASON and ONE DRAFT? Wow that's a lifetime if I ever saw it. The bottom line is he was clearly not given the same amount of power other GM's hold in the league...his latest statements seem to suggest that's changed now though so we'll see how he does. Jerry West just sold the farm for Paul George!!..but hey!!..let's run EB out of town because he played a part in signing a 20 ppg wing and a veteran C who could cover for Joel!!...how could we ever forgive him? :D


I should be congratulating him for spending two first round picks, Shamet, and $300 million to do that?

He picked Thybulle that was nice (would have been nicer if managed to run a tighter ship and our interest didn't leak out and cost us another pick). What else am I missing in his "pro" column?
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers