ImageImageImage

Sixers new HC search thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

kriss73
Analyst
And1: 1,803

Re: Sixers new HC search thread 

Post#641 » by kriss73 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:46 am

We have the shortest view in the room now, so it's going to be MDA.
Adam Silver wrote:"Gross incompetence is acceptable; strategic gaming of a flawed system is not."
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,339

Post#642 » by 76ciology » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:48 am

youngcrev wrote:
76ciology wrote:I read a book today about having more information doesn’t usually lead to more accuracy, but it just makes you more confident. And being more confident makes you less flexible.

I feel this can be applied to our analytic team and Brett.

Depends on whether you are only using that new information to reinforce existing opinions, like you seem to be doing with that book and Brett :)

Yeah.. confirmation bias (reinforcing existing options) play a big part. Another is analytics can lead you to be inflexible by favoring heavily on the game theory optimal option (i.e Sixers defense of giving up mid range shots and Rockets heavy reliance on 3s).
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#643 » by 76ciology » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:58 am

How about Jason Kidd?

Report has it that he’s interested to be our coach while he is part of this Lakers squad that has a lot of similarity to our team. He could also be a guy that Ben looks up to.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Lou_23
Bench Warmer
And1: 723

Post#644 » by Lou_23 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:45 am

Pompey
Lue is scheduled to interview for the job on Tuesday, according to multiple sources. One has to wonder if he thinks his meeting could just be a formality and/or insurance in case former Houston Rockets coach Mike D’Antoni, whose job it is to lose, doesn’t accept the job.

But sources have said that D’Antoni met with ownership during the first round of interviews. The Sixers deny that ownership has had any involvement. However, sources have also said that Brand has met with D’Antoni and former candidate Donovan, who withdrew from consideration Monday to accept the Bulls job.

Now, word is leaking out that Brand is pushing hard for the Sixers to hire D’Antoni and that Embiid gave his blessing.

According to multiple sources, Embiid is happy that he’ll face the basket instead of posting up in D’Antoni’s proposed five-out system. D’Antoni’s plan is to move Tobias Harris back to power forward.

But what about Lue?

Source have said his progress has been different. So far, his candidacy has consisted of just discussions with Brand, according to sources. The GM did not meet with him like other candidates in the first round of interviews. Nor has Lue heard from anyone in the ownership group.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,098

Post#645 » by Arsenal » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:46 am

Tobias “back” to PF. Where was he before?
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#646 » by BullyKing » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:07 pm

Arsenal wrote:Tobias “back” to PF. Where was he before?

Power forward on the floor with power forward Horford on the floor with power forward Simmons.

Power forward is where he needs to be and the plan really needs to be to move Horford and Richardson for two wings that can either catch and shoot or get their own shots (or heaven forbid, both).
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#647 » by 76ciology » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:23 pm

Imagine Biid crossing up defenders then stepping back for the 3.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#648 » by Arsenal » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:27 pm

BullyKing wrote:

Power forward on the floor with power forward Horford on the floor with power forward Simmons.

Power forward is where he needs to be and the plan really needs to be to move Horford and Richardson for two wings that can either catch and shoot or get their own shots (or heaven forbid, both).

I personally think Tobias has to go because Ben Simmons is our PF. But I guess he can share the forward spots with Simmons until we find a deal that doesn’t bend us over. No matter what we need two guards / wings who can shoot and play make to share the floor with Jo, Ben, and Tobias.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,444

Post#649 » by youngcrev » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:41 pm

BullyKing wrote:

People I respect keep saying Richardson isn't a great fit, but aside from potential financial issues with being able to retain him (and the presence of Thybulle), I think he's another guy that would benefit greatly from a different offensive role. Seems like a guy that could do really well under D'Antoni. Less creation, more 3s, more pace.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#650 » by Arsenal » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:48 pm

JRich isn’t a good fit for the same reason as Tobias. Unwilling or unable to stretch the floor via volume catch and shoot 3’s. We have to get rid of both sooner or later.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#651 » by youngcrev » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:56 pm

Arsenal wrote:JRich isn’t a good fit for the same reason as Tobias. Unwilling or unable to stretch the floor via volume catch and shoot 3’s. We have to get rid of both sooner or later.

He was taking 7 a game in the playoffs. 6.3 last year in Miami. I think D'Antoni would have him jacking. It would be interesting if he could get Tobias to do the same. Both could benefit by from the analytics approach of cutting down on midrange jumpers for more 3s.
Gulfwang
Freshman
And1: 11

Post#652 » by Gulfwang » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:27 pm

D'Antoni will hopefully turn Tobias in to a stretch 4 and make sure he's not posting up shooting guards just to get a mid range jumper with Embiid and Simmons on the floor.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#653 » by BullyKing » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:32 pm

youngcrev wrote:
Arsenal wrote:JRich isn’t a good fit for the same reason as Tobias. Unwilling or unable to stretch the floor via volume catch and shoot 3’s. We have to get rid of both sooner or later.

He was taking 7 a game in the playoffs. 6.3 last year in Miami. I think D'Antoni would have him jacking. It would be interesting if he could get Tobias to do the same. Both could benefit by from the analytics approach of cutting down on midrange jumpers for more 3s.

But he only shot 4.5 a game during the regular season, which is in line with his career average of 4.4. If D'Antoni or whoever the coach ultimately is thinks he can get Richardson to bomb away from deep more like his last year and Miami and thinks his dip in actually making them this year was an aberration, I'm ok bringing him back. But if there isn't confidence in both of those or he wants an exorbitant amount to resign, we sort of have to move him now.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#654 » by BullyKing » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:35 pm

Gulfwang wrote:D'Antoni will hopefully turn Tobias in to a stretch 4 and make sure he's not posting up shooting guards just to get a mid range jumper with Embiid and Simmons on the floor.

He needs to show him Harden video about driving and initiating contact instead of stopping eight feet from the basket and taking a turnaround fadeaway jumper.
NYSixersFan wrote:
ProcessDoctor
General Manager
And1: 5,153

Post#655 » by ProcessDoctor » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:48 pm

So D’Antoni would move Simmons back to PG? I can’t see Ben being the PG in D’Antoni’s system. Simmons/JRich/#21 for Harden would be the move to make there.

Harden(34)/Milton(14)
Thybulle(28)/Burks(20)
MLE(20)/Korkmaz(20)/Milton(8)
Harris(34)/Horford(10)/MLE(4)
Embiid(30)/Horford(18)

Harden/Milton/Micic
Thybulle/Burks/Smith
MLE/Korkmaz/#34
Harris/Scott/#36
Embiid/Horford/Pelle
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Council
Oubre/Batum/Martin
Harris/Covington/Wilson
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#656 » by youngcrev » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:04 pm

BullyKing wrote:
youngcrev wrote:

But he only shot 4.5 a game during the regular season, which is in line with his career average of 4.4. If D'Antoni or whoever the coach ultimately is thinks he can get Richardson to bomb away from deep more like his last year and Miami and thinks his dip in actually making them this year was an aberration, I'm ok bringing him back. But if there isn't confidence in both of those or he wants an exorbitant amount to resign, we sort of have to move him now.

True. He just seems like they'd be able to coach him towards it if that's his primary function rather than being asked to be a playmaker. Between him and Matisse, I think he's probably more capable of a scaled up shooting role at decent efficiency. And I wouldn't be surprised if we end up having to include Matisse in a deal to reshape the roster anyway.
Gulfwang
Freshman
And1: 11

Post#657 » by Gulfwang » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:34 pm

BullyKing wrote:
Gulfwang wrote:D'Antoni will hopefully turn Tobias in to a stretch 4 and make sure he's not posting up shooting guards just to get a mid range jumper with Embiid and Simmons on the floor.

He needs to show him Harden video about driving and initiating contact instead of stopping eight feet from the basket and taking a turnaround fadeaway jumper.

Tobias with Clippers was running pnr and shooting 3s off the dribble. Looked like a completely different player. Maybe it's the horrible roster fit, but not many players looked better under Brown. I really think MDA can get the most out of Tobias, Shake, JRich and Furkan. JRich is an excellent MDA 3-and-D player, not a back up point guard.

On the other hand, I'm not so sure he is the right coach for both Embiid and Simmons. Limiting Embiid's post ups is good, but I liked the idea of Lue using Simmons as a high post playmaker, like he did with Lebron in Cleveland.
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#658 » by VDT » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:36 pm

I find it hard to believe that any decent coach will come without some major roster changes.

I also find it hard to believe that any decent coach will come here when the organization/Fo is in such a dysfunctional state. Maybe D'Antoni who is 69, but it is hard to see anyone younger come here without some guarantees.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,011

Post#659 » by Sixerscan » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:40 pm

A lot of the fit issues go away if you play another shooter with them instead of Horford. Especially Harris.
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant
And1: 935

Post#660 » by 51X3RF4N » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:49 pm

I see this as ownership actually siding with Joel, and if they hire MDA, they're going to move Tobias to PF, keep Richardson at SG, and look to move on from Simmons.

I truly think the supermax situation, along with his unwillingness to be an alpha scorer mentality has resulted in the Sixers finally being on board with shopping Simmons.

Brand wanted him gone when he first took over as GM.

I think seeing the team without Ben in the playoffs, and watching how exciting and competitive it was with guards like Burcs being aggressive from the perimeter made them fully commit to trading Ben.

Ownership is leaking to Keith, and he's playing along.

They are hiring MDA and trading Ben, and we need to get on board because the writing is on the wall. Keith is actually putting it right in front of us.

They know they can't trade Tobias because nobody wants his contract that they messed up and paid him.

So Ben and Horford are sent out, look for Harden or CP3 or maybe both somehow to come to Philly.
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?

Return to Philadelphia 76ers