Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Re: Sixers new HC search thread 

Post#661 » by Sixerscan » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:52 pm

Arsenal wrote:
BullyKing wrote:
Arsenal wrote:Tobias “back” to PF. Where was he before?

Power forward on the floor with power forward Horford on the floor with power forward Simmons.

Power forward is where he needs to be and the plan really needs to be to move Horford and Richardson for two wings that can either catch and shoot or get their own shots (or heaven forbid, both).

I personally think Tobias has to go because Ben Simmons is our PF. But I guess he can share the forward spots with Simmons until we find a deal that doesn’t bend us over. No matter what we need two guards / wings who can shoot and play make to share the floor with Jo, Ben, and Tobias.

I don’t see how Simmons role on offense playing the 4 really overlaps what tobias does. Simmons operates out of the high post, acts as a roll man and occasionally goes out to the corner or dunker spot. Harris is generally on the wing handling the ball or spacing the floor.

I guess it makes it harder for Harris to post up but does anyone want to see any more of that?

Obviously Harris is crazy overpaid but the skill sets complement each other pretty well as long as you don’t play two centers next to them.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,520

Post#662 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:54 pm

OK...I can definitely see MDA using Simmons as the point guard on this team. Lets assume Simmons comes back next year with a three point shot that is well....As reliable as Jason Kidds used to be. Remember Kidd was never a deadeye from outside, but he made enough to keep defenses honest. I think Simmons can get to that level. That's not saying much, but I think he can. MDA and Kidd would have been a match made in heaven back in the day. I think this can work with Simmons as his point guard. It's clearly evident that Ben Simmons wants to play point guard and he'll be allowed to do so freely with coach here. I personally think he should be playing point guard too. I never liked the switch to power forward, he can't stretch the floor and that is what you need from a power forward playing next to Embiid. Let Simmons play point guard, he's athletic and quick enough to do so. This can work. Put three shooters in the lineup with Simmons and Embiid and lets Fkin go! If you're asking me who the better coach is between MDA and Brett Brown, then it's clearly MDA. He will have a plan in place, he will have a system for the players to learn, there wont be these weirdo lineups, we wont have Neto, maybe we can convince Glenn Robinson to sign back with us? I don't know, i'm not all that opposed to hiring MDA.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#663 » by Sixerscan » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:58 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:OK...I can definitely see MDA using Simmons as the point guard on this team. Lets assume Simmons comes back next year with a three point shot that is well....As reliable as Jason Kidds used to be. Remember Kidd was never a deadeye from outside, but he made enough to keep defenses honest. I think Simmons can get to that level. That's not saying much, but I think he can. MDA and Kidd would have been a match made in heaven back in the day. I think this can work with Simmons as his point guard. It's clearly evident that Ben Simmons wants to play point guard and he'll be allowed to do so freely with coach here. I personally think he should be playing point guard too. I never liked the switch to power forward, he can't stretch the floor and that is what you need from a power forward playing next to Embiid. Let Simmons play point guard, he's athletic and quick enough to do so. This can work. Put three shooters in the lineup with Simmons and Embiid and lets Fkin go! If you're asking me who the better coach is between MDA and Brett Brown, then it's clearly MDA. He will have a plan in place, he will have a system for the players to learn, there wont be these weirdo lineups, we wont have Neto, maybe we can convince Glenn Robinson to sign back with us? I don't know, i'm not all that opposed to hiring MDA.

I mean we have years of evidence of Simmons being the point guard of good nba offenses when the lineups make sense. It’s just the running question of if there’s a ceiling against elite teams that have the game plan and the personnel to stick with him.
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#664 » by VDT » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:59 pm

Sixerscan wrote:A lot of the fit issues go away if you play another shooter with them instead of Horford. Especially Harris.

Well, you cant play Horford strictly as Embiid's back up and you dont want to play them together. This is also more pronounced in the postseason. So they will need to trade Horford (unless they plan to move Embiid).

Then there is still the need for a ball handler, someone to make plays for others. I dont see D'Antoni (or even Lue) coming here without that issue addressed.
Lou_23
Bench Warmer
And1: 725

Post#665 » by Lou_23 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:02 pm

51X3RF4N wrote:
So Ben and Horford are sent out, look for Harden or CP3 or maybe both somehow to come to Philly.

Pompey said that Embiid and Simmons are consulted about the next coach. They dont want to trade Simmons, please stop. We arent going to trade him.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#666 » by Sixerscan » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:09 pm

VDT wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:A lot of the fit issues go away if you play another shooter with them instead of Horford. Especially Harris.

Well, you cant play Horford strictly as Embiid's back up and you dont want to play them together. This is also more pronounced in the postseason. So they will need to trade Horford (unless they plan to move Embiid).

Then there is still the need for a ball handler, someone to make plays for others. I dont see D'Antoni (or even Lue) coming here without that issue addressed.

I think there are probably acceptable short burst lineups that you can put together around Embiid and Horford and 3 shooters to get Horford to the point he’s playing 25 mpg in games Embiid plays and starter minutes in the 20 games Embiid misses. Less in the playoffs but it is what it is.

Would of course be very open to trading him. I wouldn’t do a bad trade just to get some mediocre coach on board though.
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant
And1: 935

Post#667 » by 51X3RF4N » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:23 pm

Lou_23 wrote:
51X3RF4N wrote:
So Ben and Horford are sent out, look for Harden or CP3 or maybe both somehow to come to Philly.

Pompey said that Embiid and Simmons are consulted about the next coach. They dont want to trade Simmons, please stop. We arent going to trade him.
No. He said Lue wasn't bothered by Embiid and Simmons being empowered to think they have a hand in the coaching hire. That is a big difference from reports that they would be consulted. Sounds like 2 different things to me.

He also mentioned again that Embiid and Simmons didn't see eye to eye, and didn't get along, which seems to me more like another intentional leak of information.

He then also mentioned Tobias going back to PF and MDA picking players, the Sixers making trades if he is hired, and a 5 out system of freewheeling.

None of that points towards Ben Simmons being here. You don't think it they specifically tell Pompey to write about Tobias being moved back to PF, where Ben is currently the starter, that they wouldn't include something about Ben going back to PG?? They completely leave Ben out of the conversation any time MDA is involved.

Also, Ben doesn't shoot 3s, has been given plenty of time to get comfortable and simply won't do it. And even if he decides at some point to start, we don't even know if he will be anything close to consistent.

A major part of MDAs offense is taking volume 3s.

If MDA thinks Houston will part with Harden for Simmons, why would Philly not do that??
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
Lou_23
Bench Warmer
And1: 725

Post#668 » by Lou_23 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:30 pm

51X3RF4N wrote:
Lou_23 wrote:
51X3RF4N wrote:

No. He said Lue wasn't bothered by Embiid and Simmons being empowered to think they have a hand in the coaching hire. That is a big difference from reports that they would be consulted. Sounds like 2 different things to me.

He also mentioned again that Embiid and Simmons didn't see eye to eye, and didn't get along, which seems to me more like another intentional leak of information.

He then also mentioned Tobias going back to PF and MDA picking players, the Sixers making trades if he is hired, and a 5 out system of freewheeling.

None of that points towards Ben Simmons being here. You don't think it they specifically tell Pompey to write about Tobias being moved back to PF, where Ben is currently the starter, that they wouldn't include something about Ben going back to PG?? They completely leave Ben out of the conversation any time MDA is involved.

Also, Ben doesn't shoot 3s, has been given plenty of time to get comfortable and simply won't do it. And even if he decides at some point to start, we don't even know if he will be anything close to consistent.

If MDA thinks Houston will part with Harden for Simmons, why would Philly not do that??

He said that in other reports , not today
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,148

Post#669 » by Arsenal » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:11 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
VDT wrote:

I think there are probably acceptable short burst lineups that you can put together around Embiid and Horford and 3 shooters to get Horford to the point he’s playing 25 mpg in games Embiid plays and starter minutes in the 20 games Embiid misses. Less in the playoffs but it is what it is.

Would of course be very open to trading him. I wouldn’t do a bad trade just to get some mediocre coach on board though.

This. Until we find a deal for Horford where we aren't getting ripped off, we need to just stagger so he never plays w/both Simmons and Embiid. He can still average 25-30 mpg overall while never playing with both of them.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#670 » by Arsenal » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:14 pm

51X3RF4N wrote:
Lou_23 wrote:
51X3RF4N wrote:

Previously I was against it, but I may be willing to pull the trigger on Simmons for Harden. I'm not adding though.

However if that means non-stop ugly Harden ISO ball that we've seen in Houston the last few years, then no thanks. It's ugly and terrible to watch, and it will fail when it counts in the playoffs.

Of course Harden ISO's are good to use at times, but absolutely not the entire offense.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#671 » by Arsenal » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:15 pm

BullyKing wrote:
Gulfwang wrote:D'Antoni will hopefully turn Tobias in to a stretch 4 and make sure he's not posting up shooting guards just to get a mid range jumper with Embiid and Simmons on the floor.

He needs to show him Harden video about driving and initiating contact instead of stopping eight feet from the basket and taking a turnaround fadeaway jumper.

Imagine if someone could get Tobi to start drawing contact and firing catch and shoot 3's without hesitation. I think its highly unlikely but maybe MDA can?
fl311
Senior
And1: 1,182

Post#672 » by fl311 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:19 pm

Just remember to take what Pompey says with a grain of salt. He definitely speaks for ownership
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,474

Post#673 » by youngcrev » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:22 pm

51X3RF4N wrote:
Lou_23 wrote:
51X3RF4N wrote:

When people talk about Harris back to PF it's about Horford not being here, not Ben. Embiid's the bigger question mark in a D'Antoni system.

And if we're going off what Keith says, here's a direct quote on the subject
I definitely don’t see a Harden and D’Antoni reunion in Philly.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,580

Post#674 » by 76ciology » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:11 pm

51X3RF4N wrote:
Lou_23 wrote:
51X3RF4N wrote:

Link?
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,853

Post#675 » by Negrodamus » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:29 pm

If ownership is pulling the strings and want D'Antoni, that means they are going to stick with Embiid since Joel has strong ties with the owners. However, D'Antoni's offense and Joel Embiid mix together like Brett Brown's offense and Markelle Fultz; aka they don't.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#676 » by 76ciology » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:50 pm

Embiid wants MDA. But does Ben want MDA? Are there any reports about his opinion on MDA?

I bet he’s excited running the pick and roll. :lol:
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,474

Post#677 » by youngcrev » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:50 pm

76ciology wrote:
51X3RF4N wrote:
Lou_23 wrote:

Link?

https://www.inquirer.com/sports/philadelphia-sixers-ty-lue-mike-dantoni-houston-rockets--20200927.html

Lue welcomes the opportunity to coach All-Stars Joel Embiid and Ben Simmons, who haven’t always seen eye-to-eye.

As a Los Angeles Lakers player, Lue won NBA titles in 2000 and 2001 while playing with Hall of Famers and Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O’Neal, who like Simmons and Embiid didn’t get along.

Feels more just like bad writing by Pompey (shocker) to fit the narrative in support of Lue rather than being anything of note.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#678 » by 76ciology » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:23 pm

Spoiler:
youngcrev wrote:
76ciology wrote:
51X3RF4N wrote:No. He said Lue wasn't bothered by Embiid and Simmons being empowered to think they have a hand in the coaching hire. That is a big difference from reports that they would be consulted. Sounds like 2 different things to me.

Link?

https://www.inquirer.com/sports/philadelphia-sixers-ty-lue-mike-dantoni-houston-rockets--20200927.html

Lue welcomes the opportunity to coach All-Stars Joel Embiid and Ben Simmons, who haven’t always seen eye-to-eye.

As a Los Angeles Lakers player, Lue won NBA titles in 2000 and 2001 while playing with Hall of Famers and Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O’Neal, who like Simmons and Embiid didn’t get along.

Feels more just like bad writing by Pompey (shocker) to fit the narrative in support of Lue rather than being anything of note.

Personally, I think their chemistry off the court is not good but it’s also not bad. It’s just OK. And I dont see any issues with that. We all know some guys that we just can’t be good friends with.

Ben looks like a guy that likes being treated like a royalty. And I find Biid on the other hand wants to be looked at like a leader on the team. So they are both Alphas in their own way.

You guys may not agree with me. My issue is the chemistry with the rest of the team between both of them aren’t just good. It’s been reported during one of our bubble games that during the bubble, Biid doesnt really spend much time hanging out with the guys. You dont also see much of Biid in Thysse vlogs. So can be said with Ben.

It’s one of the things that I hope the next coach can fix
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,853

Post#679 » by Negrodamus » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:32 pm

Why does it matter if they have off court chemistry? I'd rather Embiid lose weight and Ben get a passable jump shot than them becoming good friends
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,451

Post#680 » by Eyeamok » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:35 pm

youngcrev wrote:
76ciology wrote:
51X3RF4N wrote:No. He said Lue wasn't bothered by Embiid and Simmons being empowered to think they have a hand in the coaching hire. That is a big difference from reports that they would be consulted. Sounds like 2 different things to me.

Link?

If MDA can find a way for Embiid and Simmons not to get along the way Kobe and Shaq did not, and the results are the same. I'll take it.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo

Return to Philadelphia 76ers