ImageImageImage

Sixers new HC search thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,479

Re: Sixers new HC search thread 

Post#681 » by youngcrev » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:36 pm

Negrodamus wrote:Why does it matter if they have off court chemistry? I'd rather Embiid lose weight and Ben get a passable jump shot than them becoming good friends

True. As long they don't flat out dislike one another (which doesn't seem to be the case), it doesn't really matter. It would be cute though, right?
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#682 » by youngcrev » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:41 pm

Eyeamok wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Link?

https://www.inquirer.com/sports/philadelphia-sixers-ty-lue-mike-dantoni-houston-rockets--20200927.html

Lue welcomes the opportunity to coach All-Stars Joel Embiid and Ben Simmons, who haven’t always seen eye-to-eye.

As a Los Angeles Lakers player, Lue won NBA titles in 2000 and 2001 while playing with Hall of Famers and Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O’Neal, who like Simmons and Embiid didn’t get along.

Feels more just like bad writing by Pompey (shocker) to fit the narrative in support of Lue rather than being anything of note.

If MDA can find a way for Embiid and Simmons not to get along the way Kobe and Shaq did not, and the results are the same. I'll take it.

Think Shaq and Kobe even knew Lue's name at the time? Why doesn't Keith mention that Lue couldn't keep Lebron and Kyrie together?
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,453

Post#683 » by Eyeamok » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:06 pm

youngcrev wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
https://www.inquirer.com/sports/philadelphia-sixers-ty-lue-mike-dantoni-houston-rockets--20200927.html

Feels more just like bad writing by Pompey (shocker) to fit the narrative in support of Lue rather than being anything of note.

If MDA can find a way for Embiid and Simmons not to get along the way Kobe and Shaq did not, and the results are the same. I'll take it.

Think Shaq and Kobe even knew Lue's name at the time? Why doesn't Keith mention that Lue couldn't keep Lebron and Kyrie together?

Probably not but I think Lue to continue to make a name in the NBA as a player and a coach has had to become very observant about roster makeup, developing relationships, what works and does not work all the while not always having a voice in the room.
He has had to be the guy that may have a great idea or two. But has had to sit back and wait and wait for his turn. When his turn came as a coach he performed people can say what they want about LBJ but Lue did what he had to do to win. He forced the warriors to go out and make a super super team, because they saw as good as they were they could not beat the CAVS. Lue has to get some credit for that.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

Bring on the draft

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,858

Post#684 » by Negrodamus » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:09 pm

youngcrev wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:Why does it matter if they have off court chemistry? I'd rather Embiid lose weight and Ben get a passable jump shot than them becoming good friends

True. As long they don't flat out dislike one another (which doesn't seem to be the case), it doesn't really matter. It would be cute though, right?

I just think back on championship teams and it really doesn't feel that important. Aside from Bosh, Wade and LeBron, I feel like off court friendships didn't really matter for the championship winners. Warriors and Cavs had their issues. Kawhi and Tony Parker had issues, IIRC. Shaq and Kobe Lakers obviously.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#685 » by youngcrev » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:36 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
youngcrev wrote:

I just think back on championship teams and it really doesn't feel that important. Aside from Bosh, Wade and LeBron, I feel like off court friendships didn't really matter for the championship winners. Warriors and Cavs had their issues. Kawhi and Tony Parker had issues, IIRC. Shaq and Kobe Lakers obviously.

Sure, but all those teams broke up. KD left. Kyrie left. Kawhi left. Shaq left.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,453

Post#686 » by Eyeamok » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:22 am

youngcrev wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
youngcrev wrote:

Sure, but all those teams broke up. KD left. Kyrie left. Kawhi left. Shaq left.

If Embiid and Ben win a couple of championships and then break up I'm good with that.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

Bring on the draft

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,778

Post#687 » by Skates » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:52 am

Wanna take bets on whether the Phillies FO gets cleaned out before the Sixers FO does? Brand’s talk of FO changes and still nothing happening is both laughable and cringe worthy. These owners, smh
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Post#688 » by PhillyPhilly » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:09 am

I see everyones favourite coach Brad Stevens was beaten in the conference finals AGAIN...but he's "smart" and great with the x's and o's right? :D .. much better than the guy who has whooped him several times and won a championship. Oops, how could i ever forget that proven failures like Stevens and MDA are much more proven than Ty Lue and his three finals trips.
DT RAW
Junior
And1: 129

Post#689 » by DT RAW » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:55 am

Oh we r rubbing it in on a guy like stevens loaing in the CONFERENCE FINALS AGAIN...as if thats some sort of embarrassment.. lord
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Post#690 » by PhillyPhilly » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:34 am

DT RAW wrote:Oh we r rubbing it in on a guy like stevens loaing in the CONFERENCE FINALS AGAIN...as if thats some sort of embarrassment.. lord

It is an embarrassment compared to a man who has been to three finals and actually won one. But if you admire coaches who can't get it done then that's your business...i prefer WINNERS thank you very much :D
sixerguy
Sixth Man
And1: 262

Post#691 » by sixerguy » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:27 am

PhillyPhilly wrote:
DT RAW wrote:Oh we r rubbing it in on a guy like stevens loaing in the CONFERENCE FINALS AGAIN...as if thats some sort of embarrassment.. lord

It is an embarrassment compared to a man who has been to three finals and actually won one. But if you admire coaches who can't get it done then that's your business...i prefer WINNERS thank you very much :D

There's some logic - I guess Big Dog Glenn Robinson should go down in history as being a winner because he has a ring and Sir Charles does not.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,188

Post#692 » by M2J » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:40 am

It's looking more like Dantoni, and I've spent time talking about how poorly Dantoni has done with bigger rosters like the Lakers and Knicks, and how single tracked his perfectly built teams become with few adjustments or none at all in the playoffs. How teams lose respect for him, because his style is to blame his team for making or missing shots as to why he didn't get them over the hump. How he never blames defense. I can see how fans might be interested to see what Dantoni would do with this team, I actually am. But it's not going to be enough.

But Lue deserves more credit for his coaching than he received. People point to Blatts success, but keep in mind that Lue was put there as the associate head coach to guide him on NBA styles and was key in implementing the systems in place. He was the ear that the players went to on the team, he was the one that helped guide them through the issues within the team, and at times stood up to LeBron when he was going too far. He told LeBron to shut the F up as an assistant to Blatt in a huddle. Which is why the top seeded team in the East fired Blatt to bring on a calmer presence that the players respected and they knew was heavily responsible for the Xs and Os. The players often stated that he was a big part of the actual Xs and Os of the team, and the team ran a lot of different styles. He also worked with them to increase their pace that year, even if it was a struggle for him to do so. But his thing wasn't to do them differently than Blatt, rather to improve the systems he'd put in place under Blatt.

I think he was a really good playoff coach, and his flexibility and ability to up lift his team showed. He implemented a 2 man game with love in the paint with LeBron and was willing to adjust lineups based on matchups and what was working in the playoffs (I'll emphasize that)... Playing Tristan and Love together in the paint (not just with love as a floater around the perimeter to exploit the Warriors size and get extra possessions with rebounds.

He did let that team get away with a lot, but he knew being an authoritarian wasn't going to work... Instead of letting his ego get in the way of a good thing he assisted, but still stood up when necessary.

People gave him heat for that last LeBron season, when they traded Kyrie for essentially a pick and tried to implement IT to please his bosses, when IT was in worse shape health wise and ability wise than he is today in order to justify the trade. Kevin Love missed 31 games. But in the playoffs they got it together with an average supporting cast. I think his experience with that team can really help these guys.

Sixers can work with him on his assistant staff and the offense if they just want Dantoni to setup an offense and forget everything else. Teams are full of crap, if there were another title winning coach in his mid 40s, they'd give them 5 years you don't need to get some college coach to get that young guy.... He's already out there with an NBA ring.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#693 » by Negrodamus » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:56 pm

Read on Twitter

Sixers Exec Vice Pres Communications

Read on Twitter
fl311
Senior
And1: 1,182

Post#694 » by fl311 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:02 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
Read on Twitter

Sixers Exec Vice Pres Communications

Read on Twitter

They are both correct. They like each other very much. Just different personalities and different off the court lifestyles.

Again, look at who the original "source" is.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#695 » by Sixerscan » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:09 pm

It’s just kind of incredible how irresponsible Pompey is. They guy is so lazy and just flippantly puts in sentences in his articles to hit his word count without thinking about how it will be interpreted. There have been dozens of examples of stuff like that over the years.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#696 » by Negrodamus » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:11 pm

It's amazing that he's stuck around for so long. His articles are astoundingly awful to read.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#697 » by Sixerscan » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:31 pm

Negrodamus wrote:It's amazing that he's stuck around for so long. His articles are astoundingly awful to read.

Many sources are also surprised he has lasted this long. Sources wonder how in a city with a ton of other good to very good Sixers beat writers (Moore, bodner, Hoffman, nuebeck to name a few) along with every other sport this is the best we can get at the premier paper in the city for one of the major teams. Sources look forward to Pompey’s draft articles in a few months which he clearly just has agents supply him information and quotes for. Sources also think Keith should look up some synonyms for “source” or write his articles in a way he doesn’t use it in every other sentence in his articles.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,862

Post#698 » by Mik317 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:39 pm

Pompey is a great mouthpiece that doesn't ask too many tough questions.

Kate Fagan hurt Doug Collins' fee fees and that was that
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,152

Post#699 » by Arsenal » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:02 pm

Keith Pompey doesn’t work for you peasant fans. His masters find him useful which is why he’s still there.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,694

Post#700 » by rzzzzz » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:52 pm

Mik317 wrote:Kate Fagan hurt Doug Collins' fee fees and that was that

I honestly believe that Doug used his good relationship with ESPN (where he was always regarded as a top analyst and great guy) to hire her for a decent salary, and the chance to broaden her horizon by exploring women athletes' issues, which would kind of pull her away from the NBA. not that she didn't go onto the Around the Horn, etc., circuit for a while. plus it was good timing, what with the local newspaper business being driven to shambles by the internet. man, she was a great beat writer though. instead of merely opining, she got into people's faces and developed relationships with players to get to the real bottom of things. Like getting Iggy to spout off about the hug club. and let's not forget Coach "Quirky".

Return to Philadelphia 76ers