ImageImageImage

Sixers new HC search thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

DT RAW
Junior
And1: 129

Re: Sixers new HC search thread 

Post#821 » by DT RAW » Thu Oct 1, 2020 2:27 am

I think Im team MDA simply because I view the chance of us significantly blowing this roster up way higher under him. If I hear rivers wants to also shake it up then Im fine with that hire. If we roll out the same team minus a few bench pieces changed out then this team can **** itself
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant
And1: 935

Post#822 » by 51X3RF4N » Thu Oct 1, 2020 2:36 am

Sixerscan wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:Man, the history with fl311 goes back to the playoffs a few years back. He's basically been right on everything except one or two things which could have gone either way. Not sure you were here during that time, but you really don't need to question his legitimacy.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Since i've been posting here most of the stuff he's said i've seen on sixers twitter already...that's all i'm saying. If he's legit then great..but the "Lue out" story was posted on twitter by one sixers fan account already...we'll see if it's true or not.

I'm sure he's waiting on bated breath to see if he can prove himself to you.
Lol I'd like to see the Twitter account that can keep up with our man fl311. He posted 5 hours ago that it was Doc, and 4 hours later Mainstream twitter picks up on it.

He posted the meeting with Doc was happening tonight. And 4 hours later Twitter gets it.

Go back and look at the time stamps. fl311 is plugged in and legit.
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,059

Post#823 » by sixers hoops » Thu Oct 1, 2020 2:44 am

I’m not in love with any candidate, but Doc seems the best of the three. I’m not a fan of MDA. I don’t know much about Lue, and he was tough to evaluate as head coach of Lebron’s one man show in Cleveland. The game plan seemed to mostly be “Lebron you play like an all-time great and Kyrie hit big shots here and there.” I have no clue as to his ability to coach a team without Lebron.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,721

Post#824 » by the_process » Thu Oct 1, 2020 2:45 am

fl311 wrote:Doesn’t sound like he wants full control. He just doesn’t want a “collaborative” effort. Some people would have to go

Is Scott O'Neil one of those people? If so, my opinion on Doc flips a full 180° to he's up there with Pop, Jackson, and Riley on the Mount Rushmore of coaches :lol:
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,133

Post#825 » by Arsenal » Thu Oct 1, 2020 2:46 am

I'm indifferent between Glenn and Dan Tony. I do wonder about Chris Paul's relationship take on them since he played for both.

Makes a big difference what CP3 thinks if we plan to go after him this offseason.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#826 » by Arsenal » Thu Oct 1, 2020 2:47 am

the_process wrote:
fl311 wrote:Doesn’t sound like he wants full control. He just doesn’t want a “collaborative” effort. Some people would have to go

Is Scott O'Neil one of those people? If so, my opinion on Doc flips a full 180° to he's up there with Pop, Jackson, and Riley on the Mount Rushmore of coaches :lol:

Anyone with a clue is going to want to clean house as soon as they see the trash littering the front office.
SouthJersey
Starter
And1: 144

Post#827 » by SouthJersey » Thu Oct 1, 2020 2:49 am

This move is the most boring thing they could have done. I thought they atleast had a plan with D’Antoni coming in and being their target to work with Simmons. Rivers getting hired just seems like they hired the guy that the media loves and has the best reputation as a players coach.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#828 » by Arsenal » Thu Oct 1, 2020 2:49 am

Underrated factor in Rivers' favor:

He has 2 years left on his Clippers contract. This could mean the Sixers don't have to pay him much or anything at all, as the Clips are still on the hook for those 2 years.

Whereas w/Dan Tony, his contract is up so the Sixers would have to pay.

Considering how cheap this ownership is, there's no doubt they'll pick Glenn.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,059

Post#829 » by sixers hoops » Thu Oct 1, 2020 3:34 am

Arsenal wrote:
the_process wrote:

Anyone with a clue is going to want to clean house as soon as they see the trash littering the front office.

Once you acknowledge Tobias and Horford, two of the worst contracts in the league, are still on the team, and the entire management team that signed them to those contracts is still running the show, how would any coach expect them to figure out how to put together a championship roster?

Josh Harris: Any questions for us?

Rivers: Who replaced the buffoons that gave Hortford and Tobias those horrible contracts on their way to running this team into the ground?

Josh: well they’re still hear but we restructured our front office a bit. Cohen is switching offices with O’Neill. We have some interns working the elder Colangelo like weekend at Bernie’s. Brand is getting a bigger desk, and we might bring Billy King in to mentor him a little. Billy thinks he should’ve locked Tobias and Horford up for seven year because it’s good luck... so I think they will be able to put together a championship roster now. We brought Colangelo back to hire our next coach. If you don’t accept the position, he has some nephews who need a job.

Rivers: sounds like you run a tight ship. Count me in.

... I just don’t see how a good coach would want to coach a roster being put together by this braintrust.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#830 » by Sixerscan » Thu Oct 1, 2020 4:00 am

sixers hoops wrote:
Arsenal wrote:
the_process wrote:

Once you acknowledge Tobias and Horford, two of the worst contracts in the league, are still on the team, and the entire management team that signed them to those contracts is still running the show, how would any coach expect them to figure out how to put together a championship roster?

Josh Harris: Any questions for us?

Rivers: Who replaced the buffoons that gave Hortford and Tobias those horrible contracts on their way to running this team into the ground?

Josh: well they’re still hear but we restructured our front office a bit. Cohen is switching offices with O’Neill. We have some interns working the elder Colangelo like weekend at Bernie’s. Brand is getting a bigger desk, and we might bring Billy King in to mentor him a little. Billy thinks he should’ve locked Tobias and Horford up for seven year because it’s good luck... so I think they will be able to put together a championship roster now. We brought Colangelo back to hire our next coach. If you don’t accept the position, he has some nephews who need a job.

Rivers: sounds like you run a tight ship. Count me in.

... I just don’t see how a good coach would want to coach a roster being put together by this braintrust.

Probably wants to coach? The jobs don't exactly grow on trees. There are worse lots than getting paid millions to coach a professional basketball team with 2 all stars on it in a good market. If he figures it out and there's better health luck and they get back to where people thought they would be before the season he's a hero. If not people will just blame the front office, worst case is he gets fired again after pocketing $10+ million and goes back to doing TV. Seems like a win win for him.

If he wants to coach it's not like there's a lot of great opportunities. Basically us and NOLA who hasn't made the playoffs yet and anyone that thinks Josh Harris is cheap should check out some of the stories from down there.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,528

Post#831 » by 76ciology » Thu Oct 1, 2020 5:59 am

Read on Twitter
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,528

Post#832 » by 76ciology » Thu Oct 1, 2020 7:27 am

I know many has complained how dysfunctional our FO is. How we should make the the decision quick like how the Bulls easily have hired Donovan. But did you guys realized that if we have done that, we wouldn’t had the chance to explore having Doc Rivers to be our coach?
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,178

Post#833 » by M2J » Thu Oct 1, 2020 8:47 am

76ciology wrote:I know many has complained how dysfunctional our FO is. How we should make the the decision quick like how the Bulls easily have hired Donovan. But did you guys realized that if we have done that, we wouldn’t had the chance to explore having Doc Rivers to be our coach?

The team management ability of this board is much worse than what they claim the 76ers management is.

IE the thought of hiring some no name for these personalities as opposed to two nba champions.

Hiring the no names works when you have culture and Identity at the top, and this team is searching for that right now.

Doc is a culture changer. Have the Clippers a sense of respectability even under old ownership. We saw that last year. I'd say his culture was diminished when new ownership decided to hold off pep rallys with Paul George in his glamour project to take over los angeles and allow those 2 players take over his locker room.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,178

Post#834 » by M2J » Thu Oct 1, 2020 9:09 am

One other factor with Doc Rivers is his development of Rondo. Who doesn't have the amount of talent as Simmons, nor did he have the expectations. But was a an aggressive playmaker that wouldn't even try to shoot many 3s, but would aggressively drive to the basket and be an aggressive playmaker in the half court, and develops his point guards to be leaders and extensions of him. Hopefully that rubs off on Ben and Shake. He also developed SGA

Another example is Blake. Similar athlete to Ben, but developed his shooting and overall skill, when he initially was just a dunker and driver.
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#835 » by kuclas » Thu Oct 1, 2020 10:15 am

M2J wrote:One other factor with Doc Rivers is his development of Rondo. Who doesn't have the amount of talent as Simmons, nor did he have the expectations. But was a an aggressive playmaker that wouldn't even try to shoot many 3s, but would aggressively drive to the basket and be an aggressive playmaker in the half court, and develops his point guards to be leaders and extensions of him. Hopefully that rubs off on Ben and Shake. He also developed SGA

Another example is Blake. Similar athlete to Ben, but developed his shooting and overall skill, when he initially was just a dunker and driver.

Ben Simmons is beyond anyone trying to teach him to shoot from outside the paint more. He’s 24 years old and been playing this game a long time

A fundamental basketball skill set is a jump shot. Unfortunately he shoots like he’s Dwight Howard from outside the paint so he won’t attempt a shot.

He is what he is. A Uber talented Lebron James without a jump shot. And that’s not good enough.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,965

Post#836 » by ankle420breaker » Thu Oct 1, 2020 10:46 am

What I'd give to be a fly on the wall in that room while they were all watching game 1 together.... just to see Doc's reactions as Cringemaster Harris attempts to speak basketball.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
Lou_23
Bench Warmer
And1: 725

Post#837 » by Lou_23 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 11:19 am

Pompey
“Rivers talked with general manager Elton Brand during the day [Wednesday] and met with the team’s ownership at night. Sources have said Rivers really wants this job, and the expectation was that he would blow away the Sixers ownership group with his infectious personality.

Sources said Rivers is excited about the opportunity to coach a preeminent center like Joel Embiid and loves big point guards like 6-foot-10 Ben Simmons"
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#838 » by Arsenal » Thu Oct 1, 2020 11:29 am

76ciology wrote:I know many has complained how dysfunctional our FO is. How we should make the the decision quick like how the Bulls easily have hired Donovan. But did you guys realized that if we have done that, we wouldn’t had the chance to explore having Doc Rivers to be our coach?

No, almost everyone is happy we are actually interviewing multiple people this time. Not sure who has criticized them for not hiring someone quickly.

This is just another example of you carrying water for this front office by trying for give them credit for something they do not deserve credit for.

Interviewing multiple people is the BARE MINIMUM.
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant
And1: 935

Post#839 » by 51X3RF4N » Thu Oct 1, 2020 12:26 pm

Sounds like it's Doc, guys.

And with him wanting to coach PG Ben Simmons, and PF Tobias Harris...that kind of sets the stage for Horford being the only one potentially traded.

Or Doc might just say don't trade anyone. JRich is a great pick and roll initiator, and so is Tobias.

Maybe Doc flips the script and runs the starters out minus Horford out there, with a guy like Thybulle or Shake as the 5th starter, and just runs a pick and roll heavy offense with Embiid posting up less, and being the picker more.

Maybe the "spacing" we really need is just more ball screening actions.

I would definitely look at Horford for a SF but if Doc likes Horford in a role off the bench since Al is also such a good screener, and smart player...maybe we sort of "run it back" in a way?
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,472

Post#840 » by youngcrev » Thu Oct 1, 2020 12:41 pm

51X3RF4N wrote:Sounds like it's Doc, guys.

And with him wanting to coach PG Ben Simmons, and PF Tobias Harris...that kind of sets the stage for Horford being the only one potentially traded.

Or Doc might just say don't trade anyone. JRich is a great pick and roll initiator, and so is Tobias.

Maybe Doc flips the script and runs the starters out minus Horford out there, with a guy like Thybulle or Shake as the 5th starter, and just runs a pick and roll heavy offense with Embiid posting up less, and being the picker more.

Maybe the "spacing" we really need is just more ball screening actions.

I would definitely look at Horford for a SF but if Doc likes Horford in a role off the bench since Al is also such a good screener, and smart player...maybe we sort of "run it back" in a way?

They are?

I think Horford's gone regardless of who is coaching the team, and that getting a guy that can run some 2 man game with Jo will be the focus.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers