ImageImageImage

Welcome Glenn (Doc) Rivers - Sixers hire new head coach! Now fire everyone else!

Moderators: BullyKing, HartfordWhalers, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

snoopdogg88
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,892
And1: 3,097
Joined: Jun 03, 2010
       

Re: Welcome Glenn (Doc) Rivers - Sixers hire new head coach! Now fire everyone else! 

Post#161 » by snoopdogg88 » Tue Oct 6, 2020 12:08 pm

I do appreciate that he doesn’t fall into the lazy “just copy the previous year’s Finals winner” mode of building a team.
Negrodamus
RealGM
Posts: 18,032
And1: 8,248
Joined: Aug 05, 2004

Re: Welcome Glenn (Doc) Rivers - Sixers hire new head coach! Now fire everyone else! 

Post#162 » by Negrodamus » Tue Oct 6, 2020 3:32 pm

Read on Twitter


I know this is a concern to some.
User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 49,946
And1: 16,197
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: Welcome Glenn (Doc) Rivers - Sixers hire new head coach! Now fire everyone else! 

Post#163 » by 76ciology » Tue Oct 6, 2020 3:56 pm

Doc rely a lot on his assistant coaches. It would be interesting who will be on his staff.
“If anyone can refute me—show me I'm making a mistake or looking at things from the wrong perspective—I'll gladly change. It's the truth I'm after, and the truth never harmed anyone." Marcus Aurelius.
youngcrev
RealGM
Posts: 24,443
And1: 5,844
Joined: Jun 12, 2005
Location: Philadelphia(ish)
   

Re: Welcome Glenn (Doc) Rivers - Sixers hire new head coach! Now fire everyone else! 

Post#164 » by youngcrev » Tue Oct 6, 2020 4:02 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
Read on Twitter


I know this is a concern to some.


Only because Rich and Derek won't shut up about it, haha
rzzzzz
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,790
And1: 1,241
Joined: Feb 21, 2015
 

Re: Welcome Glenn (Doc) Rivers - Sixers hire new head coach! Now fire everyone else! 

Post#165 » by rzzzzz » Thu Oct 8, 2020 3:34 am

youngcrev wrote:Only because Rich and Derek won't shut up about it, haha


Can't complain about the vibes so far since his hire. It's way early, but so far so good.
User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 49,946
And1: 16,197
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: Welcome Glenn (Doc) Rivers - Sixers hire new head coach! Now fire everyone else! 

Post#166 » by 76ciology » Thu Oct 8, 2020 6:36 am

Read on Twitter


:lol:
“If anyone can refute me—show me I'm making a mistake or looking at things from the wrong perspective—I'll gladly change. It's the truth I'm after, and the truth never harmed anyone." Marcus Aurelius.
User avatar
Mik317
RealGM
Posts: 32,534
And1: 11,957
Joined: May 31, 2005
Location: In Spain...without the S
       

Re: Welcome Glenn (Doc) Rivers - Sixers hire new head coach! Now fire everyone else! 

Post#167 » by Mik317 » Thu Oct 8, 2020 12:32 pm

lol shoot anxiety
#NeverGonnaBeGood
User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 49,946
And1: 16,197
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: Welcome Glenn (Doc) Rivers - Sixers hire new head coach! Now fire everyone else! 

Post#168 » by 76ciology » Thu Oct 8, 2020 4:51 pm

Would be interesting who Doc will hire as his assistant coach that is in charge of defense because Udoka is trash and his teams have not been good defensive teams.
“If anyone can refute me—show me I'm making a mistake or looking at things from the wrong perspective—I'll gladly change. It's the truth I'm after, and the truth never harmed anyone." Marcus Aurelius.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
Posts: 32,558
And1: 14,705
Joined: Jan 25, 2005

Re: Welcome Glenn (Doc) Rivers - Sixers hire new head coach! Now fire everyone else! 

Post#169 » by Sixerscan » Fri Oct 9, 2020 7:40 pm

76ciology wrote:Would be interesting who Doc will hire as his assistant coach that is in charge of defense because Udoka is trash and his teams have not been good defensive teams.

The Clippers were 5th in defense this year? He didn't really have the personnel the few years before that, obviously he had a bunch of elite defensive teams in Boston.

I don't think the defense was that bad considering how much time Ben and Joel missed but I doubt Udoka will be back. He'll probably find get on some other Spurs' alumni's staff.
User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 49,946
And1: 16,197
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: Welcome Glenn (Doc) Rivers - Sixers hire new head coach! Now fire everyone else! 

Post#170 » by 76ciology » Fri Oct 9, 2020 7:58 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
76ciology wrote:Would be interesting who Doc will hire as his assistant coach that is in charge of defense because Udoka is trash and his teams have not been good defensive teams.

The Clippers were 5th in defense this year? He didn't really have the personnel the few years before that, obviously he had a bunch of elite defensive teams in Boston.

I don't think the defense was that bad considering how much time Ben and Joel missed but I doubt Udoka will be back. He'll probably find get on some other Spurs' alumni's staff.


Sorry i based it on the playoffs for this year, nba stats had playoffs stats as default. Yup, clips played good defense this year. They played with good defensive concepts. Their switching was great and team defensive gameplans like not having Kawhi not defend the team’s best player until crunch time to allow him to roam for steals.
“If anyone can refute me—show me I'm making a mistake or looking at things from the wrong perspective—I'll gladly change. It's the truth I'm after, and the truth never harmed anyone." Marcus Aurelius.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
Posts: 32,558
And1: 14,705
Joined: Jan 25, 2005

Re: Welcome Glenn (Doc) Rivers - Sixers hire new head coach! Now fire everyone else! 

Post#171 » by Sixerscan » Fri Oct 9, 2020 8:02 pm

76ciology wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
76ciology wrote:Would be interesting who Doc will hire as his assistant coach that is in charge of defense because Udoka is trash and his teams have not been good defensive teams.

The Clippers were 5th in defense this year? He didn't really have the personnel the few years before that, obviously he had a bunch of elite defensive teams in Boston.

I don't think the defense was that bad considering how much time Ben and Joel missed but I doubt Udoka will be back. He'll probably find get on some other Spurs' alumni's staff.


Sorry i based it on the playoffs for this year, nba stats had playoffs stats as default. Yup, clips played good defense this year. They played with good defensive concepts. Their switching was great and team defensive gameplans like not having Kawhi not defend the team’s best player until crunch time to allow him to roam for steals.

Yeah very annoying how they do that
kriss73
Veteran
Posts: 2,950
And1: 1,613
Joined: Jul 25, 2015
       

Re: Welcome Glenn (Doc) Rivers - Sixers hire new head coach! Now fire everyone else! 

Post#172 » by kriss73 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:23 pm

Read on Twitter


Wow. I didn't expect if it's true
Adam Silver wrote:"Gross incompetence is acceptable; strategic gaming of a flawed system is not."
Negrodamus
RealGM
Posts: 18,032
And1: 8,248
Joined: Aug 05, 2004

Re: Welcome Glenn (Doc) Rivers - Sixers hire new head coach! Now fire everyone else! 

Post#173 » by Negrodamus » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:27 pm

Wow, I like that news.
User avatar
Sixersftw
RealGM
Posts: 16,682
And1: 6,653
Joined: Dec 23, 2006
Location: Shoot a 3 you coward
       

Re: Welcome Glenn (Doc) Rivers - Sixers hire new head coach! Now fire everyone else! 

Post#174 » by Sixersftw » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:41 am

kriss73 wrote:
Read on Twitter


Wow. I didn't expect if it's true

gimmie gimmie.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
User avatar
stormi
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,781
And1: 3,846
Joined: Jun 04, 2019
Location: PXE island
 

Re: Welcome Glenn (Doc) Rivers - Sixers hire new head coach! Now fire everyone else! 

Post#175 » by stormi » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:04 am

massive win
User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 49,946
And1: 16,197
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: Welcome Glenn (Doc) Rivers - Sixers hire new head coach! Now fire everyone else! 

Post#176 » by 76ciology » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:47 am

Dave Joeger is known for his “grit and grind” grizz where he was successful playing big against small ball teams.

I don’t expect us to be able to hire Joeger because our ownership is cheap. Most likely we’d hire someone from overseas who is great at making sure the markers are full of ink and the white board is properly erased during time-outs.
“If anyone can refute me—show me I'm making a mistake or looking at things from the wrong perspective—I'll gladly change. It's the truth I'm after, and the truth never harmed anyone." Marcus Aurelius.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
Posts: 8,462
And1: 1,524
Joined: Sep 21, 2005
Location: South Jersey

Re: Welcome Glenn (Doc) Rivers - Sixers hire new head coach! Now fire everyone else! 

Post#177 » by ankle420breaker » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:10 am

This would be an incredible hire. We absolutely need someone on the bench who's stern, tactical, and fearless when it comes to holding players accountable.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 49,066
And1: 12,489
Joined: Feb 07, 2005
Location: Parts Unknown
   

Re: Welcome Glenn (Doc) Rivers - Sixers hire new head coach! Now fire everyone else! 

Post#178 » by Stanford » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:40 am

Joerger has been well liked by players, right?
Image
User avatar
Sixersftw
RealGM
Posts: 16,682
And1: 6,653
Joined: Dec 23, 2006
Location: Shoot a 3 you coward
       

Re: Welcome Glenn (Doc) Rivers - Sixers hire new head coach! Now fire everyone else! 

Post#179 » by Sixersftw » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:38 pm

76ciology wrote:
I don’t expect us to be able to hire Joeger because our ownership is cheap.

Do we have any evidence of this?
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
youngcrev
RealGM
Posts: 24,443
And1: 5,844
Joined: Jun 12, 2005
Location: Philadelphia(ish)
   

Re: Welcome Glenn (Doc) Rivers - Sixers hire new head coach! Now fire everyone else! 

Post#180 » by youngcrev » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:39 pm

That's what you get with a high profile coach like Doc. Expect a high quality (or at least well thought of) staff to follow, whether they end up with Joerger or not.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers