ImageImageImage

Welcome Glenn (Doc) Rivers - Sixers hire new head coach! Now fire everyone else!

Moderators: BullyKing, HartfordWhalers, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

youngcrev
RealGM
Posts: 24,443
And1: 5,844
Joined: Jun 12, 2005
Location: Philadelphia(ish)
   

Re: Welcome Glenn (Doc) Rivers - Sixers hire new head coach! Now fire everyone else! 

Post#181 » by youngcrev » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:52 pm

Sixersftw wrote:
76ciology wrote:
I don’t expect us to be able to hire Joeger because our ownership is cheap.

Do we have any evidence of this?


Ownership being cheap? I think there's evidence both ways. Not wanting to flat out fire people (aside from Brett) due to being stuck paying them for nothing. I don't imagine Elton's costing them a ton. Selling 2nd round picks. Not running it back last year. Finding ways around the cap floor during the tank years. Trying to cut salaries during Covid. Trying to get tax payer money for the new stadium.

On the flip side, they did commit a ton of money to players last off-season, and are dishing out a ton of money to coaching considering they've now got one of the highest paid coaches olin the league on top of still paying Brett. Built that new training facility (even if it was with tax payer money).

I'd say they've been more frugal than cheap. Finding creative ways to finance the lack of revenue during the tank years was fine by me. It is a business after all. All I can ask for as a fan is a willingness to pay when push comes to shove.
User avatar
Sixersftw
RealGM
Posts: 16,684
And1: 6,653
Joined: Dec 23, 2006
Location: Shoot a 3 you coward
       

Re: Welcome Glenn (Doc) Rivers - Sixers hire new head coach! Now fire everyone else! 

Post#182 » by Sixersftw » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:13 pm

youngcrev wrote:
Sixersftw wrote:
76ciology wrote:
I don’t expect us to be able to hire Joeger because our ownership is cheap.

Do we have any evidence of this?


Ownership being cheap? I think there's evidence both ways. Not wanting to flat out fire people (aside from Brett) due to being stuck paying them for nothing. I don't imagine Elton's costing them a ton. Selling 2nd round picks. Not running it back last year. Finding ways around the cap floor during the tank years. Trying to cut salaries during Covid. Trying to get tax payer money for the new stadium.

On the flip side, they did commit a ton of money to players last off-season, and are dishing out a ton of money to coaching considering they've now got one of the highest paid coaches olin the league on top of still paying Brett. Built that new training facility (even if it was with tax payer money).

I'd say they've been more frugal than cheap. Finding creative ways to finance the lack of revenue during the tank years was fine by me. It is a business after all. All I can ask for as a fan is a willingness to pay when push comes to shove.


I can get on board with that distinction. They do try to make tax payers pay for stadiums and were crappy to staff during Covid but that is just regular **** rich guy stuff. However, they have shown that they are willing to pour money into the on court product (players/coaches) if they feel it helps. I don't know if I find the selling of 2nd's as cheap or more a lack of FO vision. This isn't to give Josh Harris any love, **** that guy, but I think out and out calling him cheap is off.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 49,946
And1: 16,197
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: Welcome Glenn (Doc) Rivers - Sixers hire new head coach! Now fire everyone else! 

Post#183 » by 76ciology » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:01 pm

Sixersftw wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
Sixersftw wrote:Do we have any evidence of this?


Ownership being cheap? I think there's evidence both ways. Not wanting to flat out fire people (aside from Brett) due to being stuck paying them for nothing. I don't imagine Elton's costing them a ton. Selling 2nd round picks. Not running it back last year. Finding ways around the cap floor during the tank years. Trying to cut salaries during Covid. Trying to get tax payer money for the new stadium.

On the flip side, they did commit a ton of money to players last off-season, and are dishing out a ton of money to coaching considering they've now got one of the highest paid coaches olin the league on top of still paying Brett. Built that new training facility (even if it was with tax payer money).

I'd say they've been more frugal than cheap. Finding creative ways to finance the lack of revenue during the tank years was fine by me. It is a business after all. All I can ask for as a fan is a willingness to pay when push comes to shove.


I can get on board with that distinction. They do try to make tax payers pay for stadiums and were crappy to staff during Covid but that is just regular **** rich guy stuff. However, they have shown that they are willing to pour money into the on court product (players/coaches) if they feel it helps. I don't know if I find the selling of 2nd's as cheap or more a lack of FO vision. This isn't to give Josh Harris any love, **** that guy, but I think out and out calling him cheap is off.


For the record, im being sarcastic. Given the “our owners are cheap” opinions lately that I have failed to grasp.

Our owners has been everything but definitely not cheap.
“If anyone can refute me—show me I'm making a mistake or looking at things from the wrong perspective—I'll gladly change. It's the truth I'm after, and the truth never harmed anyone." Marcus Aurelius.
User avatar
Sixersftw
RealGM
Posts: 16,684
And1: 6,653
Joined: Dec 23, 2006
Location: Shoot a 3 you coward
       

Re: Welcome Glenn (Doc) Rivers - Sixers hire new head coach! Now fire everyone else! 

Post#184 » by Sixersftw » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:06 pm

76ciology wrote:
For the record, im being sarcastic. Given the “our owners are cheap” opinions lately that I have failed to grasp.

Our owners has been everything but definitely not cheap.

Word, hard to get the old sarcasm across the internet. Anyways, now is not the time for sarcasm comrade. We have to find all of Elton's racist tweets, burner accounts, ties to the Taliban, secret kill lists... Anything. We need the Chevy fired like yesterday and we have a Morey to catch.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 49,946
And1: 16,197
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: Welcome Glenn (Doc) Rivers - Sixers hire new head coach! Now fire everyone else! 

Post#185 » by 76ciology » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:11 pm

Sixersftw wrote:
76ciology wrote:
For the record, im being sarcastic. Given the “our owners are cheap” opinions lately that I have failed to grasp.

Our owners has been everything but definitely not cheap.

Word, hard to get the old sarcasm across the internet. Anyways, now is not the time for sarcasm comrade. We have to find all of Elton's racist tweets, burner accounts, ties to the Taliban, secret kill lists... Anything. We need the Chevy fired like yesterday and we have a Morey to catch.


Try to check maybe he has sold his old laptop where he can have some e-mails asking for a cut of Al and Tobi’s contract.

“10% cut for EB from the big guy”

Where im sure “big guy” would be Al.

:lol:
“If anyone can refute me—show me I'm making a mistake or looking at things from the wrong perspective—I'll gladly change. It's the truth I'm after, and the truth never harmed anyone." Marcus Aurelius.
Lou_23
Rookie
Posts: 1,046
And1: 499
Joined: Feb 15, 2009
Location: Pontevedra, Spain
 

Re: Welcome Glenn (Doc) Rivers - Sixers hire new head coach! Now fire everyone else! 

Post#186 » by Lou_23 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:47 pm

Per Woj, Joerger will be in Doc staff. Great!
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 49,066
And1: 12,489
Joined: Feb 07, 2005
Location: Parts Unknown
   

Re: Welcome Glenn (Doc) Rivers - Sixers hire new head coach! Now fire everyone else! 

Post#187 » by Stanford » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:49 pm

This seems like great news
Image
agiaco
Analyst
Posts: 3,551
And1: 1,004
Joined: Jun 26, 2009

Re: Welcome Glenn (Doc) Rivers - Sixers hire new head coach! Now fire everyone else! 

Post#188 » by agiaco » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:23 pm

Beyond great. A possible head coach candidate joining as assistant? To think we went from BB to Doc and Joerger...
User avatar
Sixersftw
RealGM
Posts: 16,684
And1: 6,653
Joined: Dec 23, 2006
Location: Shoot a 3 you coward
       

Re: Welcome Glenn (Doc) Rivers - Sixers hire new head coach! Now fire everyone else! 

Post#189 » by Sixersftw » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:24 pm

Hell yeah. Lets build on the momentum and fire S.O.N and then we land Morey.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
ankle420breaker
General Manager
Posts: 8,462
And1: 1,524
Joined: Sep 21, 2005
Location: South Jersey

Re: Welcome Glenn (Doc) Rivers - Sixers hire new head coach! Now fire everyone else! 

Post#190 » by ankle420breaker » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:49 pm

Davey Boy in the house!!!! Pumped on this hire! Nice pull by Doc.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
Negrodamus
RealGM
Posts: 18,032
And1: 8,248
Joined: Aug 05, 2004

Re: Welcome Glenn (Doc) Rivers - Sixers hire new head coach! Now fire everyone else! 

Post#191 » by Negrodamus » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:53 pm

If Joerger can get what he did out of the husk of Zach Randolph and Marc Gasol, I feel pretty good about him challenging Embiid.
SixersSince82
Freshman
Posts: 90
And1: 36
Joined: Sep 11, 2020
   

Re: Welcome Glenn (Doc) Rivers - Sixers hire new head coach! Now fire everyone else! 

Post#192 » by SixersSince82 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:41 pm

Stoked for the Joeger hire. I think he can figure out how to get the best from a Ben/Joel pairing.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
Posts: 8,462
And1: 1,524
Joined: Sep 21, 2005
Location: South Jersey

Re: Welcome Glenn (Doc) Rivers - Sixers hire new head coach! Now fire everyone else! 

Post#193 » by ankle420breaker » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:01 am

Joeger maximized his talent in Memphis and has never shied away from challenging his players, regardless of their status. Perfect lead assistant to compliment Doc's coaching style.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
stormi
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,781
And1: 3,846
Joined: Jun 04, 2019
Location: PXE island
 

Re: Welcome Glenn (Doc) Rivers - Sixers hire new head coach! Now fire everyone else! 

Post#194 » by stormi » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:10 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20

more people out, and Morey in next.
Sixercise
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,384
And1: 180
Joined: Sep 22, 2005
     

Re: Welcome Glenn (Doc) Rivers - Sixers hire new head coach! Now fire everyone else! 

Post#195 » by Sixercise » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:37 pm

ankle420breaker wrote:Joeger maximized his talent in Memphis and has never shied away from challenging his players, regardless of their status. Perfect lead assistant to compliment Doc's coaching style.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app


Dave was the lead defensive assistant for Memphis (who was 2nd in defensive efficiency in '13) - always was a big fan of his no-nonsense approach (and he was my top 3 choice for the head coaching position). But to have him and Doc Rivers on the same boat?? Very nice so far, good guys....
#FIREBENSIMMONS
User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 49,946
And1: 16,197
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: Welcome Glenn (Doc) Rivers - Sixers hire new head coach! Now fire everyone else! 

Post#196 » by 76ciology » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:44 pm

“If anyone can refute me—show me I'm making a mistake or looking at things from the wrong perspective—I'll gladly change. It's the truth I'm after, and the truth never harmed anyone." Marcus Aurelius.
Kobblehead
RealGM
Posts: 35,726
And1: 15,492
Joined: Apr 15, 2010
 

Re: Welcome Glenn (Doc) Rivers - Sixers hire new head coach! Now fire everyone else! 

Post#197 » by Kobblehead » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:20 pm

All the sudden, we have one of the better coaching staffs in the league. There's even some front office shakeup.

Are we actually doing things right finally? Seems like we're attempting to fix things from the top-down. Those are usually the successful shakeups.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
Posts: 32,558
And1: 14,705
Joined: Jan 25, 2005

Re: Welcome Glenn (Doc) Rivers - Sixers hire new head coach! Now fire everyone else! 

Post#198 » by Sixerscan » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:46 pm

Kobblehead wrote:All the sudden, we have one of the better coaching staffs in the league. There's even some front office shakeup.

Are we actually doing things right finally? Seems like we're attempting to fix things from the top-down. Those are usually the successful shakeups.

I'd say it's been a very solid start to the offseason in the aggregate. Most important parts still to come obviously.
the_process
RealGM
Posts: 21,544
And1: 5,788
Joined: May 01, 2010

Re: Welcome Glenn (Doc) Rivers - Sixers hire new head coach! Now fire everyone else! 

Post#199 » by the_process » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:53 am

Tapas and jazz. Glenn's a dude with good taste. Now if he just doesn't blow any 3-1 leads here, we'll be all set :lol:
It is highly unlikely that the Sixers will agree with your Ben Simmons evaluation for the purposes of a trade.
rzzzzz
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,790
And1: 1,241
Joined: Feb 21, 2015
 

Re: Welcome Glenn (Doc) Rivers - Sixers hire new head coach! Now fire everyone else! 

Post#200 » by rzzzzz » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:56 pm

"I like their size and versatility...I like position-less teams...Obviously Joel is the five, but everything else is in flux."

Well just reinforcing to Joel that he's a 5 is a start.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers