ImageImageImage

Welcome Glenn (Doc) Rivers - Sixers hire new head coach! Now fire everyone else!

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

DT RAW
Junior
And1: 129

Re: Welcome Glenn (Doc) Rivers - Sixers hire new head coach! Now drain the front office already! 

Post#61 » by DT RAW » Fri Oct 2, 2020 2:40 pm

The last thing I want is simmons getting anything more his selfish ass wants

also, of all the available coaches, I think Doc is the one that will command the most respect just by walking into the room, which is something this team needs desperately. No one respected brown in that locker room, everyone will respect rivers and his word from day 1, and if anyone(simmons) has any problems, hopefully rivers has him/them traded asap
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,965

Re: Welcome Glenn (Doc) Rivers - Sixers hire new head coach! Now drain the front office already! 

Post#62 » by ankle420breaker » Fri Oct 2, 2020 4:28 pm

I slightly preferred Pringles, but we could've done worse.

We'll see if it works out, but it was refreshing to see the front office actually pursue their preferred candidate, bring him into town for an unorthodox meeting while watching game 1, and get a deal wrapped up before he left the next day. Just relieved they pulled their sh*t together after that shameful internal tug-of-war between Lue and D'antoni.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
fl311
Senior
And1: 1,182

Post#63 » by fl311 » Fri Oct 2, 2020 4:54 pm

76ciology wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
Only place I've seen that, didn't hear that from fl311 either who seems to have connections to Embiid and would have definitely mentioned that.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Have you heard reports of Embiid endorsing Lue? i hear him endoring MDA, when we were choosing between the two.

We’ll never know. Just stay open minded.

The Painted Lines guys are really sticking to their narrative that Lue was promised the job and are trying to pass blame onto Embiid.

Jo was not against Lue. He liked the idea of facing the basket more under MDA. He endorsed that idea but never endorsed one coach over the other.

Sounds like they are being fed info from the same person who said Jo and Ben don’t get along
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,551

Post#64 » by 76ciology » Fri Oct 2, 2020 5:11 pm

fl311 wrote:
76ciology wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:Only place I've seen that, didn't hear that from fl311 either who seems to have connections to Embiid and would have definitely mentioned that.

Have you heard reports of Embiid endorsing Lue? i hear him endoring MDA, when we were choosing between the two.

The Painted Lines guys are really sticking to their narrative that Lue was promised the job and are trying to pass blame onto Embiid.

Jo was not against Lue. He liked the idea of facing the basket more under MDA. He endorsed that idea but never endorsed one coach over the other.

Sounds like they are being fed info from the same person who said Jo and Ben don’t get along

I’m not questioning you. I even think you are in the woj tier in terms of info and has been a heaven sent.

I think you guys are just getting info from opposite camps. From what I know the painted line guys are getting info from Ben’s side. So you all guys maybe are right depending on the opinion of your source which are all credible.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
fl311
Senior
And1: 1,182

Post#65 » by fl311 » Fri Oct 2, 2020 5:17 pm

76ciology wrote:
fl311 wrote:
76ciology wrote:

I’m not questioning you. I even think you are in the woj tier in terms of info and has been a heaven sent.

I think you guys are just getting info from opposite camps. From what I know the painted line guys are getting info from Ben’s side. So you all guys maybe are right depending on the opinion of your source which are all credible.

Oh I did t think you were questioning me at all.

We definitely have different sources and there is nothing wrong with that.
Stribor
Pro Prospect
And1: 492

Post#66 » by Stribor » Fri Oct 2, 2020 5:35 pm

I'm ok. Not my first choice, but hopefully with enough credentials and aura to finally change boys into man.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,728

Post#67 » by the_process » Fri Oct 2, 2020 5:45 pm

ankle420breaker wrote:I slightly preferred Pringles, but we could've done worse.

We'll see if it works out, but it was refreshing to see the front office actually pursue their preferred candidate, bring him into town for an unorthodox meeting while watching game 1, and get a deal wrapped up before he left the next day. Just relieved they pulled their sh*t together after that shameful internal tug-of-war between Lue and D'antoni.

They got a get out of jail free card with the Clips firing Doc. It's not them getting their **** together.

The only reason fans should have been excited about Doc is that he had the clout to force ownership to allow him to straighten out the FO. And it appears he did not use that leverage. Which just leaves a mediocre coach and a bad FO that needs to overhaul the roster.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,753

Post#68 » by phillynative » Fri Oct 2, 2020 6:12 pm

the_process wrote:
ankle420breaker wrote:I slightly preferred Pringles, but we could've done worse.

They got a get out of jail free card with the Clips firing Doc. It's not them getting their **** together.

The only reason fans should have been excited about Doc is that he had the clout to force ownership to allow him to straighten out the FO. And it appears he did not use that leverage. Which just leaves a mediocre coach and a bad FO that needs to overhaul the roster.

Idk maybe that will be a work in progress on his part. He was just signed after 1 meeting. I think for the most part with his experience if he sees some disfunction in the front office he will atleast have a voice . The front office looks lost at this point but maybe Doc adds stability and a plan to look forward too.

Though if the front office continues to hold the team back than its clear the 76ers need a new ownership... I dont think a coach can do anything about that to an extent.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#69 » by rzzzzz » Fri Oct 2, 2020 6:29 pm

phillynative wrote: Though if the front office continues to hold the team back than its clear the 76ers need a new ownership... I dont think a coach can do anything about that to an extent.

i might be naive, but i've been anxious to have another coach come in to evaluate, hopefully develop, and deploy the talent we got. i don't think it has to be miraculous or all that inspired as much as competent. with the athleticism we know that JoJo and Ben have, along with what Harris was doing with the Clippers, and maybe fresh eyes on some of our young projects, that might be enough to work on in the near term before taking on structural changes in the organization. which is a worthy objective.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#70 » by 76ciology » Fri Oct 2, 2020 6:30 pm

Woj said one of the reasons why Doc wanted to sign with the Sixers is they are not cheap and are willing to spend.

Read on Twitter
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#71 » by 76ciology » Fri Oct 2, 2020 6:32 pm

Read on Twitter

No more scape goat this time around. Ben and Biid are going to be held accountable now
76ciology
RealGM

Post#72 » by 76ciology » Fri Oct 2, 2020 6:36 pm

Read on Twitter

Great company
76ciology
RealGM

Post#73 » by 76ciology » Fri Oct 2, 2020 7:21 pm

Rivers value guys who can create shots because thats how you win close games. He also believes in role players playing super hard (see Bos and Clips), these type are the type of guys stars wants to play around. It was a factor when Grant Hill and TMac decided to play for him with the Magic.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,181

Post#74 » by M2J » Fri Oct 2, 2020 9:38 pm

76ciology wrote:Rivers value guys who can create shots because thats how you win close games. He also believes in role players playing super hard (see Bos and Clips), these type are the type of guys stars wants to play around. It was a factor when Grant Hill and TMac decided to play for him with the Magic.

That is a good point in terms of major players going to play with him. Getting Grant and Tmac to go to Orlando is a big deal. Kawhi flat out told Balmer that he wants to play for Doc. There's no money out there for big free agents clearly. However, in trades of players wanting to force their way somewhere or for role players looking for a destination. Maybe Philly can finally get in the mix.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,218

Post#75 » by eyeatoma » Fri Oct 2, 2020 9:49 pm

fl311 wrote:
76ciology wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:Only place I've seen that, didn't hear that from fl311 either who seems to have connections to Embiid and would have definitely mentioned that.

Interesting, didn't realize their source was legit. Are you hearing anything about Alvin Gentry. If not him, who does Rivers home to get to round out the coaching staff. Also, any news on the front office being drained? Any impending trades the team could be looking into. Buddy Hield is begging to come here haha!
76ciology
RealGM

Post#76 » by 76ciology » Sat Oct 3, 2020 5:22 am

M2J wrote:
76ciology wrote:Rivers value guys who can create shots because thats how you win close games. He also believes in role players playing super hard (see Bos and Clips), these type are the type of guys stars wants to play around. It was a factor when Grant Hill and TMac decided to play for him with the Magic.

That is a good point in terms of major players going to play with him. Getting Grant and Tmac to go to Orlando is a big deal. Kawhi flat out told Balmer that he wants to play for Doc. There's no money out there for big free agents clearly. However, in trades of players wanting to force their way somewhere or for role players looking for a destination. Maybe Philly can finally get in the mix.

I was also thinking the same thing.

I think stars love Doc because he understands players and built a structure (rotation, roster and environment) they’re comfortable with. Man.. he almost had Tim Duncan signing for the Magic. That is some wizardry level recruitment.

He understands that role players have to work hard for the stars and this is also beneficial to their careers. Ben Wallace is a great example. Hell, Tobias was playing at an allstar level when he coached him.

I’m just not a fan of the Clips team this season. Their biggest mistake for me was going after Morris when they should have upgraded their frontline. I think they should be coached and built like the Celts with PG and Kawhi playing JB and Tatum’s role.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#77 » by 76ciology » Sat Oct 3, 2020 5:23 am

eyeatoma wrote:
fl311 wrote:
76ciology wrote:

Interesting, didn't realize their source was legit. Are you hearing anything about Alvin Gentry. If not him, who does Rivers home to get to round out the coaching staff. Also, any news on the front office being drained? Any impending trades the team could be looking into. Buddy Hield is begging to come here haha!

Yup. I didnt realize how legit it was until I saw him “liking” the tweet about Doc Rivers being our headcoach.

At this point I think Hield may even pay the team just to for us.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#78 » by 76ciology » Sat Oct 3, 2020 6:33 am

Doc is a vet coach. Listening to him he sounds like he knows the business of entertainment aspect of the league. He knows you need stars to create and make shots down the stretch because the league wants those dramatic close games.

A guy who can lead this team with experience is something we need. Nobody listens one another in our org because most of them are inexperienced trying to be the smartest guy in the room.

I also feel like this team lacks the camaraderie. I think Tobi knows about it and sees how Doc does it and tried to fix it during the bubble.

Our team is rich with talent. It’s just a matter of how to run it with a purpose. And i think Doc sees that and that’s why he was quick to sign with our team. He sees a role that he can fit perfectly.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,218

Post#79 » by eyeatoma » Sat Oct 3, 2020 7:46 am

76ciology wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
fl311 wrote:

Yup. I didnt realize how legit it was until I saw him “liking” the tweet about Doc Rivers being our headcoach.

At this point I think Hield may even pay the team just to for us.
I'm confused lol, how does that mean he's legit?

Aussiepiston1
Bench Warmer
And1: 278

Post#80 » by Aussiepiston1 » Sat Oct 3, 2020 8:11 am

Rip Hamilton and Avery Johnson were saying Doc is gonna move Simmons back to the point guard position which means we won’t have to trade for one.
That would enable Harris to play power forward, Embiid center and the starting 5 could be filled out with Jrich and Thybulle.
Horford will be traded to Dallas, Sacramento or New Orleans for some bench help and cap relief unless he’s packaged with Jrich for hield or holiday.
Free agents will want to come here now so we could use the MLE to sign a shooter like joe Harris and we’re a Simmons jump shot away from a finals appearance.
Mark my words

Return to Philadelphia 76ers