Around the League: 2020 Offseason

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,676

Re: Around the League: 2020 Offseason 

Post#61 » by the_process » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:25 pm

Eyeamok wrote:
76ciology wrote:Do you guys agree with Pat Riley about the championship being an asterisk?

Sorry, but I totally feel that way. And I wouldnt be surprised if Heat intentionally tanked the finals as Pat’s revenge on Bron.

If I can remember correctly, Bron broke Pat’s heart when Bron left. Bron even asked them to draft Shabazz Napier to replace Chalmers.

You have to play the cards you are dealt. What if the NBA never gets back to normal and all playoffs and finals are played in a bubble. Do all the bubble championships get an asterisk going forward then? Sounds like sour gapes on Riley's part.

Next season there are only supposed to be 72 games. Does the winner of the NBA championship get an asterisk because they only played 72 and not 82 games in the regular season?

Not if teams are playing in their own arenas and are traveling. That was the biggest part of the bubble and the biggest advantage to the Lakers: no travel for an older team and no outside distractions. But again, the Lakers get all the credit for going out there, handling their business, and crossing the finish line.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,372

Post#62 » by Eyeamok » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:27 pm

the_process wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:
76ciology wrote:Do you guys agree with Pat Riley about the championship being an asterisk?

Sorry, but I totally feel that way. And I wouldnt be surprised if Heat intentionally tanked the finals as Pat’s revenge on Bron.

If I can remember correctly, Bron broke Pat’s heart when Bron left. Bron even asked them to draft Shabazz Napier to replace Chalmers.

You have to play the cards you are dealt. What if the NBA never gets back to normal and all playoffs and finals are played in a bubble. Do all the bubble championships get an asterisk going forward then? Sounds like sour gapes on Riley's part.

Next season there are only supposed to be 72 games. Does the winner of the NBA championship get an asterisk because they only played 72 and not 82 games in the regular season?

Not if teams are playing in their own arenas and are traveling. That was the biggest part of the bubble and the biggest advantage to the Lakers: no travel for an older team and no outside distractions. But again, the Lakers get all the credit for going out there, handling their business, and crossing the finish line.

All teams had the no travel advantage/disadvantage. But I would think if a team had to play basically every other day this would work against the older team. Recovery time and all. Plus the Lakers best player is 34-35 years old. And he was playing at a high level every other night that should have worked against them no? If anything there should be an asterisk for a superhuman performance.

No distractions would work in a younger teams favor no. Younger people and younger teams are prone to be distracted more easily. Being in a bubble forced the younger teams to focus on what they had to do with out outside distractions. Older teams, through experience, know how to shut out the outside world.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,346

Post#63 » by 76ciology » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:57 am

Do you guys agree that saying the Bubble was not an asterisk is saying that..

Either home court advantage does not work or refs are biased with their calls.

Maybe the home court advantage give you a slight edge, while with how close most playoffs games are, this is the difference between winning and losing.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#64 » by 76ciology » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:09 am

What makes the Lakers special, aside from their top 2 players, is their ability to play big and small, while possessing the traits of the other style while playing a particular style. I mean, they can play big and yet have the speed to run with the Rox microball with AD at C and Bron at PF. And when a team plays big like the Nuggets, they can either play small to outrun Jokic or play extra big to overwhelm Jokic with their size. And this gave teams a lot of problems.

Honestly, I find Heat as a gimmick (i couldnt find a better term; not legit) I can’t see them winning a championship and they were just built to beat the Bucks with Crowder, Bam, Iggy and their zone being able to slow down Giannis. Then they exposed the Celts lack of a decent big with Bam overplaying Theis. But against the Lakers, I really can’t see them winning a 7 game series. Butler is good but he’s not consistently good. He isn’t a physical specimen like Bron like he has another gear to go to during an offgame, then I think Bron has the size to blanket him on defense. Heat’s best chance was to zone their way and turn the game into a 3pt shooting battle. But talking about destiny, both Rondo and AD were shooting like 40% on 3s. That, and Heat players were injured.

There are many teams who can play like the Lakers. like the Bucks and Raptors, but I think we are the most equipped roster-wise. I find a lot of comparison between the Lakers and the Sixers style of play but Lakers definitely plays a lot better together a big factor is how good Bron and AD are. And it’s understandable given how at their prime and post their prime both these future hall of famers are.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#65 » by 76ciology » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:24 am

Eyeamok wrote:

That’s the problem.

For me, it’s still an asterisk but it’s less of an asterisk than this season.

It’s gonna be less “asterisk” as it trends toward the norm.

Like if they play like how they played this season. Playing without crowds with less games. It’s gonna be an asterisk. But if they play it after 30 seasons and it becomes the norm, then it’s not gonna be an asterisk.

It’s similar when they introduced the 3pt line and it changed everything. Like imagine if they converted dunks into 3pts then added a 4pt line, it will change the sport. After a season playing that way, it’s an asterisk. But once people get used to it (like how we are used to the 3pt unlike before it), then it’s not gonna be an asterisk.

Another one is the championships celts won, i heard there were just a number of teams back then and it shouldnt even be counted.

To cut it short, it’s really relative. Playing 72 games is an asterisk now. But if they play 72 games going forward, it’s not going to be an asterisk.

That said, if they really plan to cut short the season, then now is the time.

Personally, I’d like to cut it short because the regular season is just garbage. Not totally garbage. But teams just run there day to day stuff, while players just paced it until atleast the 2nd half. Then there are injuries that can ruin the play-offs. Something weve seen in the last two finals.

I just enjoy games when it’s more tactical like in the play-offs. Teams adjusting every game, every half, every quarter and possibly every possession. Then players playing 100% every game and possibly every possession. That way most numbers won’t also be “noise”. NetRtg and stuffs will matter more.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#66 » by 76ciology » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:42 am

I dont think it would be smart for Hayward to opt out. It’s more of gauging league interest or setting him up for his contract next season. He played well btw. He was just overshadowed by Tatum and Brown.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant

Post#67 » by Eyeamok » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:17 pm

76ciology wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:

That’s the problem.

Like if they play like how they played this season. Playing without crowds with less games. It’s gonna be an asterisk. But if they play it after 30 seasons and it becomes the norm, then it’s not gonna be an asterisk.

It’s similar when they introduced the 3pt line and it changed everything. Like imagine if they converted dunks into 3pts then added a 4pt line, it will change the sport. After a season playing that way, it’s an asterisk. But once people get used to it (like how we are used to the 3pt unlike before it), then it’s not gonna be an asterisk.

Another one is the championships celts won, i heard there were just a number of teams back then and it shouldnt even be counted.

To cut it short, it’s really relative. Playing 72 games is an asterisk now. But if they play 72 games going forward, it’s not going to be an asterisk.

Personally, I’d like to cut it short because the regular season is just garbage. Not totally garbage. But teams just run there day to day stuff, while players just paced it until atleast the 2nd half. Then there are injuries that can ruin the play-offs. Something weve seen in the last two finals.

I just enjoy games when it’s more tactical like in the play-offs. Teams adjusting every game, every half, every quarter and possibly every possession. Then players playing 100% every game and possibly every possession. That way most numbers won’t also be “noise”. NetRtg and stuffs will matter more.

I understand what you are saying. As the game changes and evolves it just changes and evolves and that is just the way it is. I have heard fans say that being able to hand check made the game harder. Once they got rid of that then scoring went up and it was easier to play the game. So asterisk after no hand checking ?

You brought something up about a 72 game season. If it is something the league is proposing then does that mean the players still get paid for an 82 game season. Or is a contract is just for the season no matter how long the season is?

Marlo
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,667

Post#68 » by rzzzzz » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:12 pm

76ciology wrote: I find Heat as a gimmick.

It was an unfortunate time for both Dragic and Bam to go down. I think Boston was a legitimate test for anyone.
the_process
RealGM

Post#69 » by the_process » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:12 am

So Dallas wants to make a big splash right now. Would they consider Tobias Harris the 3rd to go with Luka and KP maybe?
76ciology
RealGM

Post#70 » by 76ciology » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:45 am

Eyeamok wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:

That’s the problem.

I understand what you are saying. As the game changes and evolves it just changes and evolves and that is just the way it is. I have heard fans say that being able to hand check made the game harder. Once they got rid of that then scoring went up and it was easier to play the game. So asterisk after no hand checking ?

You brought something up about a 72 game season. If it is something the league is proposing then does that mean the players still get paid for an 82 game season. Or is a contract is just for the season no matter how long the season is?

It’s relative depending on the magnitude. like how many seasons of no handcheck and how much you deviate from the game.

I feel there’s a bigger deviation with the 72 games and the bubble compared to the hand check rule.

Because there are things that compensated from the hand check like teams switching more and players getting better athletically, getting smarter and maybe even longer. The game may also be more difficult with the game requiring you to be more skilled offensively.

The big issue I see with the 82 vs 72 games is the financial aspect. The revenues will definitely take a hit. Unless they increase ticket prices. But because of the bubble, how do you manage that? Will players take less salary with projected lower revenues?

I dont know if it’s possible and this is just thinking out loud. But if im the owners, I’d negotiate a new agreement with a premise of fixing the inequality of salaries between the players while the silent goal is to lower the entire salary cap to make up for the revenue loss while operating during the bubble.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#71 » by 76ciology » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:49 am

the_process wrote:So Dallas wants to make a big splash right now. Would they consider Tobias Harris the 3rd to go with Luka and KP maybe?

Possibly. Think of how good a borderline line star 20ppg player is to be a team’s third best player. And offensively, Tobi is a “plug and play” where he can play off ball or on ball while being a threat on three zones.

If there are better options, then they’d certainly go for that. But if they can have Tobias for free, then they’d also consider that.
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,471

Post#72 » by GoSixersBro » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:40 pm

Eyeamok wrote:

Some LeBron haters will say his 2012 championship is bunk because of the lockout and only 66 games played. It never ends lol.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant

Post#73 » by Eyeamok » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:41 pm

GoSixersBro wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:

Some LeBron haters will say his 2012 championship is bunk because of the lockout and only 66 games played. It never ends lol.

#TRUTH

Marlo
the_process
RealGM

Post#74 » by the_process » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:44 pm

76ciology wrote:
the_process wrote:So Dallas wants to make a big splash right now. Would they consider Tobias Harris the 3rd to go with Luka and KP maybe?

Possibly. Think of how good a borderline line star 20ppg player is to be a team’s third best player. And offensively, Tobi is a “plug and play” where he can play off ball or on ball while being a threat on three zones.

If there are better options, then they’d certainly go for that. But if they can have Tobias for free, then they’d also consider that.

Cuban doesn’t care about spending, either. Seems like an opportunity to send Horford and Harris packing.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,707

Post#75 » by Sixersftw » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:49 pm

Sixersftw wrote:Please. If you can give me Morey, Joerger, and fire Scott O'Neil then I'll forgive it all Harris. Okay maybe not everything but like, a lot.

Honestly, if we got those 3 things I'd say, successful season.

One more to go Harris you lispy god king
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,621

Post#76 » by Mik317 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:55 pm

Sixersftw wrote:
Sixersftw wrote:Please. If you can give me Morey, Joerger, and fire Scott O'Neil then I'll forgive it all Harris. Okay maybe not everything but like, a lot.

Morey hring basically cuts Scott's balls off..I doubt he'd listen to him at all. So as long as he makes the right moves, Scott can go cry in the corner
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,707

Post#77 » by Sixersftw » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:58 pm

Mik317 wrote:
Sixersftw wrote:

Morey hring basically cuts Scott's balls off..I doubt he'd listen to him at all. So as long as he makes the right moves, Scott can go cry in the corner

You're probably right. Morey sure as **** ain't here for team collaboration.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,479

Post#78 » by HartfordWhalers » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:36 pm

Still.... **** Scott O'Neil.
the_process
RealGM

Post#79 » by the_process » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:18 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:Still....

**** Scott O'Neil.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,011

Post#80 » by Sixerscan » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:34 pm

76ciology wrote:Do you guys agree that saying the Bubble was not an asterisk is saying that..

Either home court advantage does not work or refs are biased with their calls.

Maybe the home court advantage give you a slight edge, while with how close most playoffs games are, this is the difference between winning and losing.

I’m not following entirely, but yes home court advantage is a thing, the Lakers earned home court by having the best record in their conference. They would have had 4 home games in any series they played besides the Bucks, and 7 against the clippers if were being honest. The fact that they stomped every team without home court advantage makes their win even more impressive.

An asterisk at least the way people seem to be using it is for something that makes an accomplishment less impressive or qualifies it, most famously Roger Maris had a literal asterisk in the MLB record book for breaking Babe Ruth’s home run record because Maris hit 61 in 162 games while Ruth hit 60 in only 154. The Lakers doing this is the equivalent of hitting 62 in 150 or whatever.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers