Welcome Tyrese Maxey!

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,786

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#561 » by Negrodamus » Fri Apr 2, 2021 4:03 pm

https://youtu.be/GnviboYdpD4?t=459

He does have some elite burst and crazy shiftiness. Missed this game, but some of the Cavs highlights has him ball watching on defense instead of doing anything helpful (boxing out, defending the man, contesting the shot, etc).
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,514

Post#562 » by 76ciology » Sat Apr 3, 2021 10:36 am

Negrodamus wrote:https://youtu.be/GnviboYdpD4?t=459

He does have some elite burst and crazy shiftiness. Missed this game, but some of the Cavs highlights has him ball watching on defense instead of doing anything helpful (boxing out, defending the man, contesting the shot, etc).

Cavs have short perimeter defenders. Also explains Seth’s game performance
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#563 » by 76ciology » Sat Apr 3, 2021 10:42 am

Kolkmania wrote:
51X3RF4N wrote:
Kolkmania wrote:Step-by-step development. I think he's a better shooter than his current numbers suggest, however he doesn't have the mindset of punishing the defense of leaving him open. When the 3PAr will rise, lanes will open and allows him to work on his FTr and finishing at the rim.

Typical development curves of young guards suggest that it will take roughly 4/5 years for a guard to become fairly efficient. I don't expect him to play a major part for us in the nearby future (next season for example).
Right. So, for example if a team was willing to trade a veteran creator who can play a major role next to Embiid during his prime years, would you give up Maxey to get that?

Or do you consider Maxey next to untouchable?

I could see him continuing to develop defensively as well, and if he keeps putting in the work we've already seen on his jumper and body, he could easily turn into an All Star in this league. He's got a clutch mentality already. He hustles.

At 23-24 years old he could put the whole package together and be a legit starting 2 way PG.

Which obviously that type of player alone can win you games and extend the Sixers chances at being a "dynasty". But if you never win a ring during Joel's time here, then what was it all for?

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app

Certainly not untouchable. However, you have to careful with trading away all assets with future upside, because as you said, he can be a starter in the future. With our current cap and roster situation there are not many possibilities to add quality players to the rotation. So developing them is probably our best bet.

It depends case to case.

For instance, if his value is perceived low around the league then we have to develop him. Just as how the Heat did with Jrich. Develop his 2 man game then showcase it, hopefully Wolves would trade them Jimmy Butler.

If his value is perceived high and there’s a good offer out there, then we trade him. Like what George Hill is for the Spurs back then. If there’s someone who can be the next Kawhi, then you trade him.

If after you trade him, he becomes better than Steph Curry, then you live with it because that probability was almost nil at the time you’ve likely dealt him.

Everyone should be viewed as asset #1 asset #2 and so forth.

Every year there’s a surge of incoming talent. A bunch of opportunities out there. The key is to find some fool who can’t see this and would overpay for your assets.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,504

Post#564 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sat Apr 3, 2021 2:38 pm

If we were going to trade Maxey, it would have happened at the deadline. It does no good to move him in the offseason. He's a big part of our future. He needs to improve his shooting, which he will. This kid is a worker, and that's the key to having a career in this league. Jerami Grant is a prime example.
zaz102
Sixth Man
And1: 806

Post#565 » by zaz102 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 2:50 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:If we were going to trade Maxey, it would have happened at the deadline. It does no good to move him in the offseason. He's a big part of our future. He needs to improve his shooting, which he will. This kid is a worker, and that's the key to having a career in this league. Jerami Grant is a prime example.
You wouldn't trade him if a Harden situation came up (like Dame or something)?
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,465

Post#566 » by youngcrev » Sat Apr 3, 2021 3:17 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:If we were going to trade Maxey, it would have happened at the deadline. It does no good to move him in the offseason. He's a big part of our future. He needs to improve his shooting, which he will. This kid is a worker, and that's the key to having a career in this league. Jerami Grant is a prime example.

He's an ancillary piece that could maybe turn into something. I don't imagine they'd just give him away, but if an opportunity comes Morey's way to significantly improve the team, I don't think he'd hesitate to include him. If the Raptors were willing to come down on their asking price for Lowry, he'd likely be in Tampa right now, so I don't really buy the idea that because he survived the deadline that he's untouchable.
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 10,031

Post#567 » by Murray_17 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 4:19 pm

Seeing this, it makes so much sense that his favorite player was Wade.

Also, everything i see looks this guys are having fun, which is a stark contrast ith the previous season
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#568 » by LloydFree » Sat Apr 3, 2021 5:20 pm

youngcrev wrote:

He's an ancillary piece that could maybe turn into something. I don't imagine they'd just give him away, but if an opportunity comes Morey's way to significantly improve the team, I don't think he'd hesitate to include him. If the Raptors were willing to come down on their asking price for Lowry, he'd likely be in Tampa right now, so I don't really buy the idea that because he survived the deadline that he's untouchable.

Exactly. They won't give him away, but you can bet, if they want to trade for something he's the very first piece they offer
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#569 » by Sixerscan » Sat Apr 3, 2021 8:04 pm

LloydFree wrote:
youngcrev wrote:

Exactly. They won't give him away, but you can bet, if they want to trade for something he's the very first piece they offer

Yeah as long as he's not in the rotation he's gonna be in every trade talk. Happens with every good team.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,795

Post#570 » by HotelVitale » Sat Apr 3, 2021 10:42 pm

youngcrev wrote:

Agreed, that makes no sense based on the player he is now. He's someone that needs a really good development to be a super helpful player, and who's floor is pretty low. I like Maxey quite a bit as a person and think he has a chance to be really good, but I'd be very skeptical of the coaching staff or FO treating him as a real 'untouchable' player. He's just a medium prospect, valuable and cheap but nothing more.

Also I say this all the time but most of the NBA is 'workers,' folks who haven't been around NCAA or pro athletes often don't understand that the sport is the absolute center of their life--they practice, work out, drill, etc for almost all of the day and it's absolutely the norm to put in a ton of time. A few players are troubled or super lazy or just coasting by on talent, but that's a serious minority of players and most guys in the NBA put in crazy amounts of work and have pro-level regimens and support for that. I do think that Maxey has a terrific attitude and a very competitive approach to the game, but that amounts to a little bit of extra help for him and not some kind of huge advantage that will separate him for a lazy or weak-willed majority or players. In other words, his effort won't be what ends up making or breaking him, but it'll help make sure he gives himself the very best chance at making it.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,504

Post#571 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sun Apr 4, 2021 12:54 am

I think if we were to trade him, we'd be selling low. Mainly because he hasn't gotten an extended opportunity to pump his stats up and show his skill. If we were a bad team, he'd be playing a ton and without a doubt in the running for R.O.Y.
Now if Damien Lillard asks out and Portland wants Maxey in return, then Hell yes! You do that trade, or...at least Maxey is a part of it. Otherwise I do see us holding onto him for now.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#572 » by rzzzzz » Sun Apr 4, 2021 4:44 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:I think if we were to trade him, we'd be selling low. Mainly because he hasn't gotten an extended opportunity to pump his stats up and show his skill. If we were a bad team, he'd be playing a ton and without a doubt in the running for R.O.Y.
Now if Damien Lillard asks out and Portland wants Maxey in return, then Hell yes! You do that trade, or...at least Maxey is a part of it. Otherwise I do see us holding onto him for now.

I’m hoping that at least he will get some tutoring from a solid, pure point guard the next couple of months. If developing those skills is what it takes to make him viable enough to get court time from Doc.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#573 » by 76ciology » Sun Apr 4, 2021 4:54 pm

I think eventually Morey packages Maxey, Reed and Milton picks (with one of Ben or Tobi) for a big star. Something like the package he sent for Harden (picks, jeremy lamb and kevin martin). Just have to groom those three guys. If we wont be able to trade them, might as well make them productive to help us win.

I just dont see Morey’s style building something like the Spurs did with a collective group of good players playing good chemistry. It rarely works anyway.

I see our current team as a transition team and far from the final product he envisions.

Nobody can predict the future so we both can be wrong.
zaz102
Sixth Man
And1: 806

Post#574 » by zaz102 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 10:22 pm

76ciology wrote:I think eventually Morey packages Maxey, Reed and Milton picks (with one of Ben or Tobi) for a big star. Something like the package he sent for Harden (picks, jeremy lamb and kevin martin). Just have to groom those three guys. If we wont be able to trade them, might as well make them productive to help us win.

I just dont see Morey’s style building something like the Spurs did with a collective group of good players playing good chemistry. It rarely works anyway.

I see our current team as a transition team and far from the final product he envisions.

Nobody can predict the future so we both can be wrong.
This season proved that they think (know) they need to make a big move. Although obviously they may settle for a lesser situation like Lowry if it makes sense.

It's too tough to know who's going to be available and what the other team would want though. Clearly everyone is available in the right situation except Embiid. But all their contracts are pretty good so it's difficult to predict what the other team would want/settle for.
kriss73
Analyst
And1: 1,811

Post#575 » by kriss73 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:41 am

Read on Twitter

It seems relevant about how this coaching staff thinks of Tyrese.
Keep it in mind when we'll all are going to trade him with G.Hill and picks for a star this summer and next fall.
Adam Silver wrote:"Gross incompetence is acceptable; strategic gaming of a flawed system is not."
sodmoraes
Rookie
And1: 536

Post#576 » by sodmoraes » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:43 am

If his jumper improves and he can shoot the 3 at a respectable rate i see he getting 20ppg with 5 assists in a couple years. He's really fast, can get to the rim easily and has a tony parker like floater .
He should spend the summer with Drew Hanley just improving his shooting( Embiid will hook him up). He will be a stud.

Sent from my SM-G920I using RealGM mobile app
[quote:bba5df4c1f="hornetstime"]jr smith will be out of this league in 2 years, book it.[/quote]
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#577 » by Sixerscan » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:33 pm

Sixerscan wrote:The floaters are an anchor on his game. He needs to limit those and either take the open standard jump shot or attack the rim more.

Gotta give the kid props, I can’t think of many unnecessary floaters he’s taken over these last few games. Doing a very nice job getting to the rim. We’ll see if it lasts but it’s cool to see him make adjustments like that mid season.
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,408

Post#578 » by Jailblazers7 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:37 pm

I have no clue whether Maxey will be simply traded away in the future but I'm having a ton of fun watching him every time down the court. After years of watching useless guards its a joy to see someone capable of collapsing the defense and making plays. His feels for the game really seems to be growing and its nice to see him learning so quickly.

I also genuinely think we'll see Morey employ a different strategy rather with the Sixers compared to his Houston days. I think he has a broader coalition of people that need to sign off on his ideas in the FO and on the team. A good young guard on a cheap deal is SUPER valuable for a team with championship ambitions so I'd personally be surprised if we see Maxey traded unless a top 10ish player (like Harden) is available.
TTP
Head Coach
And1: 4,398

Post#579 » by TTP » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:39 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:The floaters are an anchor on his game. He needs to limit those and either take the open standard jump shot or attack the rim more.

Gotta give the kid props, I can’t think of many unnecessary floaters he’s taken over these last few games. Doing a very nice job getting to the rim. We’ll see if it lasts but it’s cool to see him make adjustments like that mid season.

Yeah he's both attacking the rim more and more willing to pull up from 3. His shot isn't there yet and he's still mostly cratering units, but at least he seems to understand what he needs to do.
jonjames is a signature bet welcher.

Appostis wrote:You're friend ..is a idiot.
kriss73
Analyst
And1: 1,811

Post#580 » by kriss73 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:03 pm

His defense is improved too
Adam Silver wrote:"Gross incompetence is acceptable; strategic gaming of a flawed system is not."

Return to Philadelphia 76ers