ImageImageImage

Welcome Tyrese Maxey!

Moderators: BullyKing, HartfordWhalers, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

blargh
Junior
Posts: 386
And1: 252
Joined: Aug 15, 2012

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#921 » by blargh » Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:24 pm

76ciology wrote:I like how they say great players takes what they want.

Maxey is not that and is likely will never be that. But it doesnt mean he isnt good.


Wouldn’t agree he likely will never be that. I think his natural instinct is to take over, but with the team getting starters back, and with his current skill level, that’s not the role he’s being asked to play. His recent poor play is him trying to reconcile those two things.

If he continues to work and build his scoring ability, I think his aggressive mentality will be there.
User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 50,565
And1: 16,440
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#922 » by 76ciology » Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:45 am

blargh wrote:
76ciology wrote:I like how they say great players takes what they want.

Maxey is not that and is likely will never be that. But it doesnt mean he isnt good.


Wouldn’t agree he likely will never be that. I think his natural instinct is to take over, but with the team getting starters back, and with his current skill level, that’s not the role he’s being asked to play. His recent poor play is him trying to reconcile those two things.

If he continues to work and build his scoring ability, I think his aggressive mentality will be there.


He can be that but I still think he will never be that.
Right now, he’s more of a system scorer. We should be realistic with our guys.

To be where you want to be, you need to know where you are.
“If anyone can refute me—show me I'm making a mistake or looking at things from the wrong perspective—I'll gladly change. It's the truth I'm after, and the truth never harmed anyone." Marcus Aurelius.
blargh
Junior
Posts: 386
And1: 252
Joined: Aug 15, 2012

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#923 » by blargh » Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:41 pm

76ciology wrote:
blargh wrote:
76ciology wrote:I like how they say great players takes what they want.

Maxey is not that and is likely will never be that. But it doesnt mean he isnt good.


Wouldn’t agree he likely will never be that. I think his natural instinct is to take over, but with the team getting starters back, and with his current skill level, that’s not the role he’s being asked to play. His recent poor play is him trying to reconcile those two things.

If he continues to work and build his scoring ability, I think his aggressive mentality will be there.


He can be that but I still think he will never be that.
Right now, he’s more of a system scorer. We should be realistic with our guys.

To be where you want to be, you need to know where you are.


Yeah, he might not get to being a top-level scorer, but if he doesn’t, it will be because his skills never make that leap, not because he doesn’t have the right mentality. At least that’s my take.
SixthStreet
Rookie
Posts: 1,091
And1: 743
Joined: May 31, 2018
       

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#924 » by SixthStreet » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:55 am

Is Maxey evolving into consistently upping his 3PA volume? It seems he's making a concerted effort to shoot more of them off the dribble and we are running sets to get him the corner looks. He still passes up catch and shoot opportunities more than I'd like but he's getting closer to firing away as he needs to to make the jump.
Slacktard
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,839
And1: 8,285
Joined: Jun 26, 2006
         

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#925 » by Slacktard » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:06 am

SixthStreet wrote:Is Maxey evolving into consistently upping his 3PA volume? It seems he's making a concerted effort to shoot more of them off the dribble and we are running sets to get him the corner looks. He still passes up catch and shoot opportunities more than I'd like but he's getting closer to firing away as he needs to to make the jump.


He said in the post-game presser to media he realized after being criticized for taking too many long 2's, running floaters, contested 2's/pump-faking on 3s and is trying to shoot more especially not pass up any open shot.
Sportfan73
Analyst
Posts: 3,699
And1: 1,216
Joined: Jun 18, 2015
   

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#926 » by Sportfan73 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:07 am

Slacktard wrote:
SixthStreet wrote:Is Maxey evolving into consistently upping his 3PA volume? It seems he's making a concerted effort to shoot more of them off the dribble and we are running sets to get him the corner looks. He still passes up catch and shoot opportunities more than I'd like but he's getting closer to firing away as he needs to to make the jump.


He said in the post-game presser to media he realized after being criticized for taking too many long 2's, running floaters, contested 2's/pump-faking on 3s and is trying to shoot more especially not pass up any open shot.

Honestly we need a legit lob threat at the 4 so that people can’t play his floater as tight or if they do he just feasts
Skates
Head Coach
Posts: 6,292
And1: 2,468
Joined: Feb 18, 2008
       

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#927 » by Skates » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:58 am

Sportfan73 wrote:
Slacktard wrote:
SixthStreet wrote:Is Maxey evolving into consistently upping his 3PA volume? It seems he's making a concerted effort to shoot more of them off the dribble and we are running sets to get him the corner looks. He still passes up catch and shoot opportunities more than I'd like but he's getting closer to firing away as he needs to to make the jump.


He said in the post-game presser to media he realized after being criticized for taking too many long 2's, running floaters, contested 2's/pump-faking on 3s and is trying to shoot more especially not pass up any open shot.

Honestly we need a legit lob threat at the 4 so that people can’t play his floater as tight or if they do he just feasts


Goes with adding athleticism and speed the team is lacking this year without Simmons playing, Maxey has few on the team who can join him in creating those hyper athletic moves and finishes right now.
Sportfan73
Analyst
Posts: 3,699
And1: 1,216
Joined: Jun 18, 2015
   

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#928 » by Sportfan73 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:15 am

Skates wrote:
Sportfan73 wrote:
Slacktard wrote:
He said in the post-game presser to media he realized after being criticized for taking too many long 2's, running floaters, contested 2's/pump-faking on 3s and is trying to shoot more especially not pass up any open shot.

Honestly we need a legit lob threat at the 4 so that people can’t play his floater as tight or if they do he just feasts


Goes with adding athleticism and speed the team is lacking this year without Simmons playing, Maxey has few on the team who can join him in creating those hyper athletic moves and finishes right now.

Yeah I’m just thinking and like Trae and how much that opens up his passing and finishing. Collins really would be sick in the right scenario
User avatar
stormi
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,179
And1: 4,237
Joined: Jun 04, 2019
Location: PXE island
 

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#929 » by stormi » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:31 am

Sportfan73 wrote:
Slacktard wrote:
SixthStreet wrote:Is Maxey evolving into consistently upping his 3PA volume? It seems he's making a concerted effort to shoot more of them off the dribble and we are running sets to get him the corner looks. He still passes up catch and shoot opportunities more than I'd like but he's getting closer to firing away as he needs to to make the jump.


He said in the post-game presser to media he realized after being criticized for taking too many long 2's, running floaters, contested 2's/pump-faking on 3s and is trying to shoot more especially not pass up any open shot.

Honestly we need a legit lob threat at the 4 so that people can’t play his floater as tight or if they do he just feasts


marcush
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,134
And1: 2,815
Joined: May 11, 2013
Location: Melbourne
 

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#930 » by marcush » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:55 am

Coming along well. Gradually improving his shot.

A bit boring for a Sixers guard.

Used to them forgetting how to shoot or refusing to shoot. Severe food allergies.
Sportfan73
Analyst
Posts: 3,699
And1: 1,216
Joined: Jun 18, 2015
   

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#931 » by Sportfan73 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:54 am

Doc letting Maxey get more high usage with the reserves instead of featuring Tobias there, I like that a lot.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
Posts: 32,702
And1: 14,856
Joined: Jan 25, 2005

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#932 » by Sixerscan » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:55 pm

Read on Twitter


Maxey says he’s making this change because of Doc and Embiid but I think it was really the 500 Twitter bots I set up to yell at him whenever he passes up a 3 or a layup to take a floater.
HotelVitale
RealGM
Posts: 10,993
And1: 6,220
Joined: Sep 14, 2007
Location: West Philly, PA

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#933 » by HotelVitale » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:18 pm

Slacktard wrote:
SixthStreet wrote:Is Maxey evolving into consistently upping his 3PA volume? It seems he's making a concerted effort to shoot more of them off the dribble and we are running sets to get him the corner looks. He still passes up catch and shoot opportunities more than I'd like but he's getting closer to firing away as he needs to to make the jump.


He said in the post-game presser to media he realized after being criticized for taking too many long 2's, running floaters, contested 2's/pump-faking on 3s and is trying to shoot more especially not pass up any open shot.


I don't mind giving him some more time to keep attacking closeouts and figuring out when it's time to do that and when to take the shot. He's obviously very good at filling an open lane and finishing off those drives and we don't have even penetration as is, so I don't think he should just cut it from his game (plus he need to learn how to pass better out of those situations).

For shots off the dribble, I've been liking the way he calmly takes stepbacks when the shot clock's running down or when he's feeling it. Feel like he's gone from bad at that last year to basically nailing his decision-making on those. Knows which shots are in his zone and which aren't most of the time.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers