ImageImageImage

Welcome Tyrese Maxey!

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

jbent87
Veteran
Posts: 2,510
And1: 1,116
Joined: Jul 02, 2015
       

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#101 » by jbent87 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:51 pm

Is he done growing at age 20? Even if he is, there will still be muscle added over the next few years. I think he's much more exciting as a prospect/comparison than Austin Rivers. I think he has some long lost Holiday brother to him.
Kobblehead
RealGM
Posts: 31,372
And1: 13,060
Joined: Apr 15, 2010
 

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#102 » by Kobblehead » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:51 pm

Yeah, Herro had far more in common with Booker/Murray than Maxey does.

Maxey isn't all that natural a shooter. He's far more interested in cooking inside the arc than he is launching threes.
davesilver
Sophomore
Posts: 142
And1: 79
Joined: Aug 14, 2020
         

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#103 » by davesilver » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:57 pm

Yea don’t really see highlights of him making space on the perimeter. Some good catch and shoot potential though. I am pleasantly surprised by his apparent passing ability.
Kobblehead
RealGM
Posts: 31,372
And1: 13,060
Joined: Apr 15, 2010
 

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#104 » by Kobblehead » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:58 pm

jbent87 wrote:Is he done growing at age 20? Even if he is, there will still be muscle added over the next few years. I think he's much more exciting as a prospect/comparison than Austin Rivers. I think he has some long lost Holiday brother to him.

Is that opinion influenced by the way Rivers' career has turned out?

Because on paper, their freshman years are similar and their player archetypes are nearly identical (halfcourt scorers with bad defense and poor shot selection).

The only real difference I see is that Rivers was slightly more dynamic off the dribble and Maxey is a better finisher and a better free throw shooter.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
Posts: 8,069
And1: 1,867
Joined: Jun 28, 2002

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#105 » by sixers hoops » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:17 pm

Negrodamus wrote:I don't think Maxey was a complete lost cause on defense for Kentucky, but he certainly didn't seem good. It felt like he'd have nice POA possessions where he'd stop a guy or filter him towards Nick Richards. He did seem lost on help defense more times than I like, which could be a product of being a freshman. He doesn't have that inherent defensive instincts that a Hagans, or even fellow freshman Devin Vassell, has. But he puts in effort, which is promising.


Working my way through this thread, but is he a candidate to get minutes this year ala Thybulle?

In my opinion, we arent getting passed the second round as currently constructed, so if Maxey, Shake, and Thybulle improve during the season, we can count on the internal improvement as we try to build something solid. Shake and Thybulle look primed for minutes, but I assumed Maxey would just be a garbage time guy.
Kobblehead
RealGM
Posts: 31,372
And1: 13,060
Joined: Apr 15, 2010
 

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#106 » by Kobblehead » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:02 pm

Doc's adulation for Lou Williams probably bodes well for Maxey. I could see him running a lot of the same action for Tyrese that he ran for Lou. Obviously, at less frequency, of course.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
Posts: 8,237
And1: 1,362
Joined: Sep 21, 2005
Location: South Jersey

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#107 » by ankle420breaker » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:04 pm

Anyone who's watched him more feel like Colin Sexton is a realistic comp?

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
Negrodamus
RealGM
Posts: 14,711
And1: 6,012
Joined: Aug 05, 2004

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#108 » by Negrodamus » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:11 pm

sixers hoops wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:I don't think Maxey was a complete lost cause on defense for Kentucky, but he certainly didn't seem good. It felt like he'd have nice POA possessions where he'd stop a guy or filter him towards Nick Richards. He did seem lost on help defense more times than I like, which could be a product of being a freshman. He doesn't have that inherent defensive instincts that a Hagans, or even fellow freshman Devin Vassell, has. But he puts in effort, which is promising.


Working my way through this thread, but is he a candidate to get minutes this year ala Thybulle?

In my opinion, we arent getting passed the second round as currently constructed, so if Maxey, Shake, and Thybulle improve during the season, we can count on the internal improvement as we try to build something solid. Shake and Thybulle look primed for minutes, but I assumed Maxey would just be a garbage time guy.


As it stands, I imagine he'll get minutes since we have pretty much no one else capable of creating offense on this team. Shake is the only other one and he's pretty mediocre at it.

But I could see them giving up on him and doing garbage time if he's not ready.
Kobblehead
RealGM
Posts: 31,372
And1: 13,060
Joined: Apr 15, 2010
 

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#109 » by Kobblehead » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:12 pm

I've followed both prospects pretty closely. There's some similarities. I actually think Maxey is a more multi-dimensional scorer. Better handle and more willing to slash all the way to the hoop.
Negrodamus
RealGM
Posts: 14,711
And1: 6,012
Joined: Aug 05, 2004

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#110 » by Negrodamus » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:31 pm

Obviously Collin Sexton was handed the keys at Alabama so his stats might reflect a playmaker with more freedom, but I still loop back to Maxey being a guy in a near perfect UK situation where he has low stakes as a playmaker with a bunch of talented finishers around him and he put up meh stats. Stars in that situation have had a high TS%.

I hope he's figured out his three ball during this offseason because that killed him last year.
Kobblehead
RealGM
Posts: 31,372
And1: 13,060
Joined: Apr 15, 2010
 

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#111 » by Kobblehead » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:48 pm

Negrodamus wrote:Obviously Collin Sexton was handed the keys at Alabama so his stats might reflect a playmaker with more freedom, but I still loop back to Maxey being a guy in a near perfect UK situation where he has low stakes as a playmaker with a bunch of talented finishers around him and he put up meh stats. Stars in that situation have had a high TS%.

I hope he's figured out his three ball during this offseason because that killed him last year.

Yeah, but the Hagans/Maxey thing was a weird fit. Neither of them wanted to shoot threes, they just want to dribble inside the arc and attack. It seems like they got in each other's way, often.
LloydFree
RealGM
Posts: 13,884
And1: 9,858
Joined: Aug 20, 2012
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#112 » by LloydFree » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:05 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:Obviously Collin Sexton was handed the keys at Alabama so his stats might reflect a playmaker with more freedom, but I still loop back to Maxey being a guy in a near perfect UK situation where he has low stakes as a playmaker with a bunch of talented finishers around him and he put up meh stats. Stars in that situation have had a high TS%.

I hope he's figured out his three ball during this offseason because that killed him last year.

Yeah, but the Hagans/Maxey thing was a weird fit. Neither of them wanted to shoot threes, they just want to dribble inside the arc and attack. It seems like they got in each other's way, often.

That's not on the players. That's Calipari's offense. That's why his guards never show anything.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Negrodamus
RealGM
Posts: 14,711
And1: 6,012
Joined: Aug 05, 2004

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#113 » by Negrodamus » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:25 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:Obviously Collin Sexton was handed the keys at Alabama so his stats might reflect a playmaker with more freedom, but I still loop back to Maxey being a guy in a near perfect UK situation where he has low stakes as a playmaker with a bunch of talented finishers around him and he put up meh stats. Stars in that situation have had a high TS%.

I hope he's figured out his three ball during this offseason because that killed him last year.

Yeah, but the Hagans/Maxey thing was a weird fit. Neither of them wanted to shoot threes, they just want to dribble inside the arc and attack. It seems like they got in each other's way, often.


Herro managed to figure it out with Hagans, Quickley, and Keldon.

Jamal Murray with Ulis and Briscoe.

These guys figure it out because they're actual shooters instead of hypothetical ones.
Kobblehead
RealGM
Posts: 31,372
And1: 13,060
Joined: Apr 15, 2010
 

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#114 » by Kobblehead » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:47 pm

Yeah, he's not a natural shooter like those guys, but I think he'll figure it out enough to shoot 34-36% ala Jordan Clarkson.
Kolkmania
Analyst
Posts: 3,122
And1: 1,486
Joined: Feb 11, 2015

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#115 » by Kolkmania » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:29 am

The shooting volume is honestly the most worrying number for me. Three point percentages over 30 games, are not a big deal to me when the mechanics are fine and the free throw percentage are great for his age.

One thing does stand out for me is poor balance (he swings his foot out so often) and a relatively flat shot. If he can/has tweak(ed) those two things during this offseason, I'm quite confident of him being playable this year.

Last thing that I would like to point out is that he always smiles during his workouts. Minor thing, but he does sound like a talent who's willing to put in the extra hours.
PhillyPhilly
Rookie
Posts: 1,249
And1: 467
Joined: Jul 01, 2018
       

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#116 » by PhillyPhilly » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:58 am

Lol it really makes me laugh at how many forum gm's and pro coaches we apparently have on this forum :lol: :lol: :lol: ..smh can we at least see the kid in a philly shirt before we start yapping about what he is or isn't? After he was compared to Mitchell by several figures in the draft community i watched back Mitchell's collage tape and he looked no better than Maxey imo. But of course since then he's morphed into a great player. I believe Maxey has all the tools in his game to be a special player for this ball club. We will find out in the coming season who is right or wrong.
User avatar
TTP
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,057
And1: 3,279
Joined: Oct 24, 2016
   

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#117 » by TTP » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:24 am

PhillyPhilly wrote:Lol it really makes me laugh at how many forum gm's and pro coaches we apparently have on this forum :lol: :lol: :lol: ..smh can we at least see the kid in a philly shirt before we start yapping about what he is or isn't? After he was compared to Mitchell by several figures in the draft community i watched back Mitchell's collage tape and he looked no better than Maxey imo. But of course since then he's morphed into a great player. I believe Maxey has all the tools in his game to be a special player for this ball club. We will find out in the coming season who is right or wrong.


Is it surprising to you that people are attempting to act like a real GM on a forum called RealGM?
jonjames is a signature bet welcher.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
Posts: 15,560
And1: 1,300
Joined: Mar 17, 2004

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#118 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:16 pm

@PhillyPhilly

This forum in particular has a good amount of knowledgeable members that stem from college prospect gurus to actual GM gurus. There's a lot of overall basketball knowledge on here. You might actually learn something if you read enough. Kobble and Negrodamus (for example) are two of the better prospect savants on here and I personally tend to take notice to their analysis on players. A lot of the times, they are fairly accurate.
User avatar
Arsenal
RealGM
Posts: 10,277
And1: 5,273
Joined: Jun 05, 2002
Location: Arlington, VA
         

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#119 » by Arsenal » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:37 pm

I think Maxey suffered for being forced off the ball which is not his comfort zone after playing PG/on ball his whole life. Somewhat like Tobi with us, he wasn’t comfortable just jacking c&s 3’s, instead he liked to drive. Staff must be confident they can coach that out of him.
#ThankYouSam | #TrustTheProcess
LloydFree
RealGM
Posts: 13,884
And1: 9,858
Joined: Aug 20, 2012
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#120 » by LloydFree » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:42 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
jbent87 wrote:Is he done growing at age 20? Even if he is, there will still be muscle added over the next few years. I think he's much more exciting as a prospect/comparison than Austin Rivers. I think he has some long lost Holiday brother to him.

Is that opinion influenced by the way Rivers' career has turned out?

Because on paper, their freshman years are similar and their player archetypes are nearly identical (halfcourt scorers with bad defense and poor shot selection).

The only real difference I see is that Rivers was slightly more dynamic off the dribble and Maxey is a better finisher and a better free throw shooter.

I usually don't put much stock in these kind of things, but another difference could be attitude. Rivers was supposedly an a-hole, coming out of college and a bad teammate. That may have been the reason it took him such a long time to become a productive pro. Cole Anthony supposedly has some of that in him, from what I've heard. I haven't heard that about Maxey.

I don't disagree with the Austin Rivers comp, BTW. But if he's more coachable earlier, maybe he gets it faster, or exceeds that outcome.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down

Return to Philadelphia 76ers