ImageImageImage

Welcome Tyrese Maxey!

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,543

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#1081 » by SixthStreet » Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:58 am

Maxey can maybe top out as the 20th best player in the league and that's if he hits his re-adjusted ceiling (accounting for his performance the second half of the year). Realistic I'd say somewhere in the 30-40 range. That's pretty damn amazing for a small G who isn't a natural PG selected 21st in the draft.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,527

Post#1082 » by 76ciology » Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:11 am

I can still remember Kobble hyping him up. Then I responded to how I dont think he’ll be good unless he turns out to be an elite shooter. Because he maybe fast but his defender can always sag off him.

Now, he’s an elite shooter.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,990

Post#1083 » by spikeslovechild » Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:02 am

76ciology wrote:I can still remember Kobble hyping him up. Then I responded to how I dont think he’ll be good unless he turns out to be an elite shooter. Because he maybe fast but his defender can always sag off him.

Now, he’s an elite shooter.

I was always the belief looking at his FT numbers the fundamentals had to be there but he need to fix his wonky shot and there was going need to be a lot of work.

Credit to Maxey for putting the work in and totally revamping the areas that needed to be.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,133

Post#1084 » by Arsenal » Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:29 am

He’s become such a good range shooter that he needs to start spamming 3’s ala Lillard. Get that 3PA rate over 40%.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,178

Post#1085 » by M2J » Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:39 am

Arsenal wrote:He’s become such a good range shooter that he needs to start spamming 3’s ala Lillard. Get that 3PA rate over 40%.

Agreed. He should've been more willing to let it fly. But as you can see with Rivers. He's not necessarily going to stop a player like Danny or Niang from letting it fly, but it's not a demand. He preaches quick reads. As Tobias at his best would be the most recently publicized example.

Maxey playing like that to me is very Kyrie like. Of course without all of the razzle dazzle of Kyrie, but size wise... Fast reads....3 level scorer. Kyrie much more skilled with the handles, and even the finishes. Maxey much faster and more athletic right now. Now that he's such a good shooter, I would say he should model what the GSW are doing right now. Mainly Steph. Primarily moving without the ball, and adding that JJ Reddick aspect to this offense. Tightening his handles will come, adding that off ball movement... Then shooting or making blazing fast decisions with his speed is his only path to being a top 5 or 10 player IMO. Doc coached JJ with a great passer like Paul (Harden).... It could be special added to the dominance of Embiid. He certainly has the energy to run around the court
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,898

Post#1086 » by mjkvol » Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:00 pm

Embiid-MVP wrote:Top 10-15 isn't his ceiling that's his floor. Top 5 would be his ceiling...

Please stop. You're making a bunch of us who love everything about this kid and his future actually argue against him. Given his size, if Maxey becomes a Top 20 player in the league, which is very realistic, it will have been a brilliant pick. And if he's the third option here for the next 2-3 seasons, it's bodes incredibly well for our championship window.

He's always going to have defensive limitations due to his size and isn't a natural PG, but he can routinely be a 25 PPG / 40% 3PA on high volume / 4-5 assists per game offensive assassin, which for a 6' combo guard picked 21st would be a pretty remarkable ceiling.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Embiid-MVP
Junior
And1: 219

Post#1087 » by Embiid-MVP » Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:25 pm

mjkvol wrote:
Embiid-MVP wrote:Top 10-15 isn't his ceiling that's his floor. Top 5 would be his ceiling...

Please stop. You're making a bunch of us who love everything about this kid and his future actually argue against him. Given his size, if Maxey becomes a Top 20 player in the league, which is very realistic, it will have been a brilliant pick. And if he's the third option here for the next 2-3 seasons, it's bodes incredibly well for our championship window.

He's always going to have defensive limitations due to his size and isn't a natural PG, but he can routinely be a 25 PPG / 40% 3PA on high volume / 4-5 assists per game offensive assassin, which for a 6' combo guard picked 21st would be a pretty remarkable ceiling.

No thanks. I believe what I believe and if you don't like it skip it. I feel sorry if some of you can't see the greatness unfolding. That's not my fault lol
:banghead:
Embiid-MVP
Junior
And1: 219

Post#1088 » by Embiid-MVP » Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:27 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:

Top five at his position or in the game? In regards to his position...Right now I feel like he's on the same level as guys like Jordan Poole, Jalen Brunson. I name these two because they are playing in the playoffs right now, but that's the tier I have Maxey in. Would I trade him for either one of those guys? I might. Jordan Poole is a Steph Curry copycat and Jalen Brunson is a straight up baller like Maxey. I'm just grateful to have this kid right now. I hope he stays healthy, I don't see him as a top five player overall in the game, but he can certainly become one of the best guards in the game. Possibly top five at his position. I can see that.

Jordan poole. I'm done lmao. Our fans can't even see our own guys correctly
:banghead:
KramerDSP
Sixth Man
And1: 906

Post#1089 » by KramerDSP » Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:25 pm

I was talking with a few friends about Maxey. One of them asked how fair it was to say that Maxey is one of the fastest players that ever lived. Thoughts? I think Prime Westbrook is probably the fastest player ever, followed by some combination of Iverson, Rose, and Isaiah.
"I don’t wanna be Jordan, I don’t wanna be Magic, I don’t wanna be Bird or Isiah. I don’t wanna be any of those guys. When my career’s over, I''m gonna look in the mirror and say I did it my way.”- Allen Iverson
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,753

Post#1090 » by Sixersftw » Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:42 pm

KramerDSP wrote:I was talking with a few friends about Maxey. One of them asked how fair it was to say that Maxey is one of the fastest players that ever lived. Thoughts? I think Prime Westbrook is probably the fastest player ever, followed by some combination of Iverson, Rose, and Isaiah.

I have it as Iverson, Wall, Rose in that order.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#1091 » by mjkvol » Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:43 pm

KramerDSP wrote:I was talking with a few friends about Maxey. One of them asked how fair it was to say that Maxey is one of the fastest players that ever lived. Thoughts? I think Prime Westbrook is probably the fastest player ever, followed by some combination of Iverson, Rose, and Isaiah.

The first two I've always thought of are AI and Rose just because the build is similar, but I can see your point with early Westbrook.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,158

Post#1092 » by eyeatoma » Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:15 pm

Westbrook is fast, but not fastest ever he's in about the same class as the others you mentioned, but actually slightly below. Westbrook was an athletic marvel, as was Rose, when both of them went for dunks it looked like they were shot out of a canon, insane fast-twitch muscles. I believe Fox is also ridiculously fast.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,158

Post#1093 » by eyeatoma » Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:18 pm

Sixersftw wrote:

I have it as Iverson, Wall, Rose in that order.

Everyone says Wall was super fast, and athletic. Like he's athletic for a guard, but his dunks never impressed me, and his speed is good, but I never saw it as unbelievable.

I think a lot of people are forgetting about LeBron, ridiculous speed. Ben Simmons too.
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,543

Post#1094 » by SixthStreet » Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:52 am

There was good and bad in the OT for Maxey and Embiid carried a lot of water with absurd shotmaking but that was a hell of a trial by fire without Harden as the lead guard. He met the moment.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#1095 » by mjkvol » Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:34 pm

Maxey proved he is up to the big moment, but that game also highlighted how much of a difference the presence of a real lead guard in Harden makes with this group. Maxey did a commendable job, but the Sixers halfcourt offense down the stretch was awful, resorting to the iso-heavy days of pre-Harden and resulting in some hideous possessions.

They got away with it against Toronto, but not likely against better competition. Maxey thrives in his new off-ball role next to Harden, and the team desperately needs Harden on the floor in these kinds of tight playoff games.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#1096 » by rzzzzz » Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:00 pm

Keep in mind Doc’s reluctance to play him his rookie season. Which I think is cause to the remaining excess deference that lingers a bit. Would like to see him cut loose early, and set up regularly in the half-court. He won’t let us down.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,807

Post#1097 » by Mik317 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:19 pm

Maxey's next step is getting some dribble moves to take advantage of his speed and to get stronger in general.

I never thought he'd be shooting like this so I think the kid can do anything lol

he has even begun to try to dunk on people and **** lol
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 10,042

Post#1098 » by Murray_17 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:40 pm

Last night showed you why Precious has the higher ceiling.

20 points, 6 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 block on 9-11 from the field and a couple threes to go along with his ability to guard every position on the floor.

Maxey was 8-18 and had as many assists as Precious Achiuwa and was hunted down on defense.

There should be very little doubt at this point.

That thread will never stop being funny.
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,601

Post#1099 » by FireMorey » Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:58 pm

Maxey has all the tools, just needs to figure out how to use them aside from scoring. When Harden fouled out, he had a lot of favorable matchups up top. Took advantage of some, I thought passed up others. He still hasn't figured out how to run an offense yet, as in beat his man, drive, and when help defense slides over, find the open man.
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,413

Post#1100 » by Jailblazers7 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:07 pm

The biggest unlock for Maxey next year is learning to play with pace. He’s a classic example of a young, fast guard who is always going 100mph. We don’t see the downsides of that too often because he plays with Embiid & Harden but it’ll surface in situations like the OT with Harden out.

Once he learns to change speeds and develops a few dribble moves he’ll be unbelievably good. Currently, he can’t really break a defender down in iso situations but once he can he’ll be capable of averaging 25ppg. Best part is I’m completely confident he’ll figure it out because of his work ethic.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers