ImageImageImage

Welcome Tyrese Maxey!

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

rzzzzz
Analyst
Posts: 3,347
And1: 1,003
Joined: Feb 21, 2015
 

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#501 » by rzzzzz » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:21 pm

Sure, Maxey can shoot the floater and lay it off the backboard. He didn’t hit the jumper for percentage at Kentucky, but the shot is pretty, and he can knock them down from range. I expect for him to put in the time like the Celtics forwards to amp up his 3 efficiency. But the thing that really stands out his his knack for the game, his awareness and decision making. We’re nuts if we don’t play him at point. He’s such a natural for it you got to give him the chance to be our next floor general. (Ben can still push it in transition, except if time is running out and we need to make that last shot, but he best learn some moves in the paint, and take the open gimme. And let’s encourage him back to that forward play he was trying out before he got hurt last season.)
blargh
Sophomore
Posts: 184
And1: 139
Joined: Aug 15, 2012

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#502 » by blargh » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:47 pm

Lol at The Ringer highlighting Immanuel Quickley’s “devastating floater game” when dude is shooting 39% from the field.
User avatar
TTP
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,462
And1: 3,745
Joined: Oct 24, 2016
   

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#503 » by TTP » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:21 pm

76ciology wrote:Impressed by Maxey.

AND I KNOW THIS IS JUST A 2 GAME SAMPLE AND WE’RE UP AGAINST MOSTLY BACK-UP PLAYERS.

But Maxey, Ben and Biid trio has -10 NetRtg, for the last two games.

Maxey’s OnCourt ORtg has always been low for some strange reason. Im not saying he’s a bad scorer or a bad offensive player, but I just can’t figure out why.

I feel like when the three of them are on the court, Maxey plays the Seth Curry role which is better for a catch and shoot player.

Maybe let Maxey run the offense more on the halfcourt when the three are on the floor?


It's likely because he's close to a zero playing off-ball right now, and even on-ball, his efficiency is very mediocre. He has no gravity as a shooter - defenders are going to sag far off and he's reluctant to shoot when open. To his credit, he's good about not turning the ball over, but he's also absolutely awful at getting to the line.

He's young and still a great prospect, but he's just not as effective right now as the fanbase would have you believe. In terms of value added to the team right now, Isaiah Joe probably gives the team more.

The best use for him would be to play him when Simmons sits and let him run the offense for a bit, though you'd still get more out of Shake in that role. If the playoffs happened right now and we wanted to give ourselves the best chance to win, I wouldn't have Maxey in the rotation.
jonjames is a signature bet welcher.
youngcrev
RealGM
Posts: 23,811
And1: 5,429
Joined: Jun 12, 2005
Location: Philadelphia(ish)
   

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#504 » by youngcrev » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:48 pm

blargh wrote:Lol at The Ringer highlighting Immanuel Quickley’s “devastating floater game” when dude is shooting 39% from the field.


What's the correlation? His FG% is bad because he takes a lot of 3s (43.3% of his attempts) and shoots them poorly (33.3%).

Based on NBA.com data he's 20/37 on the various floating attempts they have listed (54%). Feels pretty like pretty good volume/percentage.

Comparitively Maxey is 18/49 (46.1%).
User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 46,576
And1: 14,715
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#505 » by 76ciology » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:15 pm

TTP wrote:
76ciology wrote:Impressed by Maxey.

AND I KNOW THIS IS JUST A 2 GAME SAMPLE AND WE’RE UP AGAINST MOSTLY BACK-UP PLAYERS.

But Maxey, Ben and Biid trio has -10 NetRtg, for the last two games.

Maxey’s OnCourt ORtg has always been low for some strange reason. Im not saying he’s a bad scorer or a bad offensive player, but I just can’t figure out why.

I feel like when the three of them are on the court, Maxey plays the Seth Curry role which is better for a catch and shoot player.

Maybe let Maxey run the offense more on the halfcourt when the three are on the floor?


It's likely because he's close to a zero playing off-ball right now, and even on-ball, his efficiency is very mediocre. He has no gravity as a shooter - defenders are going to sag far off and he's reluctant to shoot when open. To his credit, he's good about not turning the ball over, but he's also absolutely awful at getting to the line.

He's young and still a great prospect, but he's just not as effective right now as the fanbase would have you believe. In terms of value added to the team right now, Isaiah Joe probably gives the team more.

The best use for him would be to play him when Simmons sits and let him run the offense for a bit, though you'd still get more out of Shake in that role. If the playoffs happened right now and we wanted to give ourselves the best chance to win, I wouldn't have Maxey in the rotation.


Exactly.

And if Doc likes to play Shake off the bench, I then think we have to start Kork in place of Maxey’s instead.
“If anyone can refute me—show me I'm making a mistake or looking at things from the wrong perspective—I'll gladly change. It's the truth I'm after, and the truth never harmed anyone." Marcus Aurelius.
rzzzzz
Analyst
Posts: 3,347
And1: 1,003
Joined: Feb 21, 2015
 

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#506 » by rzzzzz » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:48 pm

76ciology wrote:And if Doc likes to play Shake off the bench, I then think we have to start Kork in place of Maxey’s instead.


I would have taken either Shake or Maxey on the ball to finish last night’s game. Damn lucky Harris came through.
User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 46,576
And1: 14,715
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#507 » by 76ciology » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:11 pm

rzzzzz wrote:
76ciology wrote:And if Doc likes to play Shake off the bench, I then think we have to start Kork in place of Maxey’s instead.


I would have taken either Shake or Maxey on the ball to finish last night’s game. Damn lucky Harris came through.


Wow such confidence.

Right now, there’s no one who can create in crunch time (when defense is at highest) then Tobias and Biid.

Maxey and Shake are only good when the game isnt close or if they are facing second units
“If anyone can refute me—show me I'm making a mistake or looking at things from the wrong perspective—I'll gladly change. It's the truth I'm after, and the truth never harmed anyone." Marcus Aurelius.
rzzzzz
Analyst
Posts: 3,347
And1: 1,003
Joined: Feb 21, 2015
 

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#508 » by rzzzzz » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:55 pm

76ciology wrote:Wow such confidence.
Right now, there’s no one who can create in crunch time (when defense is at highest) then Tobias and Biid.
Maxey and Shake are only good when the game isnt close or if they are facing second units


Kyle just posted an article with a good vid of what happened down the stretch. Ben dribbling the ball at the periphery for
20 seconds, running clock, but then forcing the ball to Danny, well covered. I think he only airballed one shot, and managed to at least hit the rim with the other.

We can get by w/o playing a true pg a lot of the regular season, but this won’t fly in the playoffs.
User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 46,576
And1: 14,715
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#509 » by 76ciology » Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:03 pm

rzzzzz wrote:
76ciology wrote:Wow such confidence.
Right now, there’s no one who can create in crunch time (when defense is at highest) then Tobias and Biid.
Maxey and Shake are only good when the game isnt close or if they are facing second units


Kyle just posted an article with a good vid of what happened down the stretch. Ben dribbling the ball at the periphery for
20 seconds, running clock, but then forcing the ball to Danny, well covered. I think he only airballed one shot, and managed to at least hit the rim with the other.

We can get by w/o playing a true pg a lot of the regular season, but this won’t fly in the playoffs.


1.) dump the ball to biid
2.) let tobias run 2 man game with Seth or Biid
3.) let Seth run 2 man game with Biid or Tobi

Shake or Lowry won’t move the needle.

You need a guy like Beal or Harden. Someone you’d be just as comfortable with dumping Biid the ball. To be your 2nd option :D
“If anyone can refute me—show me I'm making a mistake or looking at things from the wrong perspective—I'll gladly change. It's the truth I'm after, and the truth never harmed anyone." Marcus Aurelius.
rzzzzz
Analyst
Posts: 3,347
And1: 1,003
Joined: Feb 21, 2015
 

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#510 » by rzzzzz » Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:54 pm

76ciology wrote:
1.) dump the ball to biid
2.) let tobias run 2 man game with Seth or Biid
3.) let Seth run 2 man game with Biid or Tobi

Shake or Lowry won’t move the needle.

You need a guy like Beal or Harden. Someone you’d be just as comfortable with dumping Biid the ball. To be your 2nd option :D


Beal would be great, but we still need an actual point guard. Someone who can create for himself as well as others. I really liked what Ben did at the end of the 2nd Boston game, but now it seems illusory. And we’ve never seen him do it in the playoffs. I’m still all in for giving Doc a chance to develop him. Or Shake or Maxey. Or maybe Morey just needs to make a move. But the guy who handles the rock at the end of the game needs to be able to threaten the defense.
User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 46,576
And1: 14,715
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#511 » by 76ciology » Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:20 pm

rzzzzz wrote:
76ciology wrote:
1.) dump the ball to biid
2.) let tobias run 2 man game with Seth or Biid
3.) let Seth run 2 man game with Biid or Tobi

Shake or Lowry won’t move the needle.

You need a guy like Beal or Harden. Someone you’d be just as comfortable with dumping Biid the ball. To be your 2nd option :D


Beal would be great, but we still need an actual point guard. Someone who can create for himself as well as others. I really liked what Ben did at the end of the 2nd Boston game, but now it seems illusory. And we’ve never seen him do it in the playoffs. I’m still all in for giving Doc a chance to develop him. Or Shake or Maxey. Or maybe Morey just needs to make a move. But the guy who handles the rock at the end of the game needs to be able to threaten the defense.


In today’s NBA you don’t need an actual PG.

You need a combo guard that can run 2 man game and has a very good ISO game. An increasingly number of teams even have two of those.

This is why Seth and Shake backcourt was so good. Because thats what the league favors. Its just that you need someone much better because there’s a certain level of defense where they couldnt generate good points per possession.
“If anyone can refute me—show me I'm making a mistake or looking at things from the wrong perspective—I'll gladly change. It's the truth I'm after, and the truth never harmed anyone." Marcus Aurelius.
rzzzzz
Analyst
Posts: 3,347
And1: 1,003
Joined: Feb 21, 2015
 

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#512 » by rzzzzz » Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:42 pm

76ciology wrote:This is why Seth and Shake backcourt was so good. Because thats what the league favors. Its just that you need someone much better because there’s a certain level of defense where they couldnt generate good points per possession.


So let me try this again. I would like to see Shake or maybe Maxey finish some of these games. Both are combo guards. Shake is more finished, but though Maxey needs more development I hope we see more pg attributes in him, if /he can improve his outside shooting %. Ben is a wondrous unicorn, who is great in the open court, but has struggled in the halfcourt playing pg in playoffs and last night. I liked what he did to finish the second Boston game. Maybe Shake and Maxey are destined only to play against 2nd units, but we should hope they will do better with development and experience. Ben deserves more time with Doc to see what he can do, but I won’t be heartbroken if he ends up playing more on the front line in the offensive halfcourt during the playoffs. And if none of the 3 can reliably create for others and themselves against the best teams in the half court, I trust Morey will make a move.
User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 46,576
And1: 14,715
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#513 » by 76ciology » Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:49 pm

rzzzzz wrote:
76ciology wrote:This is why Seth and Shake backcourt was so good. Because thats what the league favors. Its just that you need someone much better because there’s a certain level of defense where they couldnt generate good points per possession.


So let me try this again. I would like to see Shake or maybe Maxey finish some of these games. Both are combo guards. Shake is more finished, but though Maxey needs more development I hope we see more pg attributes in him, if /he can improve his outside shooting %. Ben is a wondrous unicorn, who is great in the open court, but has struggled in the halfcourt playing pg in playoffs and last night. I liked what he did to finish the second Boston game. Maybe Shake and Maxey are destined only to play against 2nd units, but we should hope they will do better with development and experience. Ben deserves more time with Doc to see what he can do, but I won’t be heartbroken if he ends up playing more on the front line in the offensive halfcourt during the playoffs. And if none of the 3 can reliably create for others and themselves against the best teams in the half court, I trust Morey will make a move.


Agree.

I like Maxey. But Im not sure with having Maxey to end games. His lack of a reliable jumper limits his effectiveness that I think Green would be more reliable on crunch time due to his ability to shoot 3s (leads the team on a small sample on make or break shots to tie or win the game) and play defense.

My preferred move for Morey to end the season.
1.) trade for Beal or someone as good or better scorer
2.) trade for a 2 way stretch 5 to make us much better when Biid is not playing while relying on Seth, Shake, Tobi and Biid on crunch time
“If anyone can refute me—show me I'm making a mistake or looking at things from the wrong perspective—I'll gladly change. It's the truth I'm after, and the truth never harmed anyone." Marcus Aurelius.
User avatar
Arsenal
RealGM
Posts: 11,189
And1: 6,035
Joined: Jun 05, 2002
Location: Arlington, VA
 

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#514 » by Arsenal » Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:55 pm

I love Maxey but he's not ready to be that guy for us this year. Hopefully by next year.

This year it should be Shake. He should be in at the end replacing either Green or Curry. Like last night when Curry was ineffective, Shake should have replaced him.
PhillyNj
Pro Prospect
Posts: 773
And1: 181
Joined: Jul 21, 2010

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#515 » by PhillyNj » Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:58 pm

Arsenal wrote:I love Maxey but he's not ready to be that guy for us this year. Hopefully by next year.

This year it should be Shake. He should be in at the end replacing either Green or Curry. Like last night when Curry was ineffective, Shake should have replaced him.



At this point I’m hoping Maxey can be a quality sub next year and a starter the following year.
phillynative
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,401
And1: 849
Joined: Dec 13, 2014

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#516 » by phillynative » Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:07 pm

PhillyNj wrote:
Arsenal wrote:I love Maxey but he's not ready to be that guy for us this year. Hopefully by next year.

This year it should be Shake. He should be in at the end replacing either Green or Curry. Like last night when Curry was ineffective, Shake should have replaced him.



At this point I’m hoping Maxey can be a quality sub next year and a starter the following year.


I agree but if your starting both Ben and Maxey you will probaly need a sniper on the floor not Seth because he is too small.
User avatar
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
Posts: 9,741
And1: 1,289
Joined: Jan 10, 2009

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#517 » by Foshan » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:59 am

So Maxey seems to be in the dog house of late. Obviously as a rookie he has some holes in his game. Do you think there is any bad mojo with teammates? Or just growing pains?
Kobblehead
RealGM
Posts: 32,769
And1: 13,827
Joined: Apr 15, 2010
 

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#518 » by Kobblehead » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:49 pm

Foshan wrote:So Maxey seems to be in the dog house of late. Obviously as a rookie he has some holes in his game. Do you think there is any bad mojo with teammates? Or just growing pains?

Mainly growing pains, but I could see there being a hint of a bad mojo.

Maxey plays no defense and doesn't space the floor. So teammates can be frustrated with him on the defensive end and feel hesitant about passing to him on the offensive end because he doesn't convert assists. He's at a weird point of his personal development where his game is best suited being the man on a bad team. He doesn't possess the ancillary traits to fit into a good team yet. He'll need to grow as a shooter to do that.

And from Maxey's perspective, he's likely frustrated because he's a more talented scorer than everyone playing ahead of him. He just has to work on improving the traits that get him on the court. His time to shine will come when he adds the jumpshot range.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
Posts: 31,797
And1: 13,916
Joined: Jan 25, 2005

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#519 » by Sixerscan » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:30 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
Foshan wrote:So Maxey seems to be in the dog house of late. Obviously as a rookie he has some holes in his game. Do you think there is any bad mojo with teammates? Or just growing pains?

Mainly growing pains, but I could see there being a hint of a bad mojo.

Maxey plays no defense and doesn't space the floor. So teammates can be frustrated with him on the defensive end and feel hesitant about passing to him on the offensive end because he doesn't convert assists. He's at a weird point of his personal development where his game is best suited being the man on a bad team. He doesn't possess the ancillary traits to fit into a good team yet. He'll need to grow as a shooter to do that.

And from Maxey's perspective, he's likely frustrated because he's a more talented scorer than everyone playing ahead of him. He just has to work on improving the traits that get him on the court. His time to shine will come when he adds the jumpshot range.


Yeah I don’t know if anyone is frustrated or in the dog house, I just don’t think he has the right skill set to fit in any of the lineups right now. Like he can play his game and it’s fine but the fact is the bench lineups are just better with Shake and in turn better with shooters around Shake and Howard. Same with any lineup around Simmons.

It would probably be a similar thing with Thybulle only he’s so good defensively and can at least set screens and move off ball to some degree. Everything with Maxey is about him being on ball and when he’s doing that it’s taking away from other guys you would prefer have the ball.

I don’t think any of this is unexpected or anything. He’s doing fine, it’s just pretty rare for a 20 year old to have a big role on a contender, especially a point guard.
LloydFree
RealGM
Posts: 15,053
And1: 10,878
Joined: Aug 20, 2012
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#520 » by LloydFree » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:14 pm

Foshan wrote:So Maxey seems to be in the dog house of late. Obviously as a rookie he has some holes in his game. Do you think there is any bad mojo with teammates? Or just growing pains?

Just growing pains. He's too inexperienced to help a team trying to win. Can't guard anybody.

He's unfortunate in a sense, because he was drafted by a contender. If he was just a role player, with one outstanding skill like Thybulle, he'd be in the lineup. But Maxey is a playmaker, and he isn't good enough yet, to be a net positive against any team that's locked in on him.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down

Return to Philadelphia 76ers