ImageImageImage

Welcome Tyrese Maxey!

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

Negrodamus
RealGM
Posts: 14,711
And1: 6,012
Joined: Aug 05, 2004

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#61 » by Negrodamus » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:02 pm

phillynative wrote:What about drawing fouls ?


He's pretty meh at it. Would have liked him getting to the line more as a slasher.
davesilver
Sophomore
Posts: 142
And1: 79
Joined: Aug 14, 2020
         

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#62 » by davesilver » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:07 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
phillynative wrote:What about drawing fouls ?


He's pretty meh at it. Would have liked him getting to the line more as a slasher.


Did you see any ability to noticeably improve throughout the season?
Lou_23
Pro Prospect
Posts: 890
And1: 368
Joined: Feb 15, 2009
Location: Pontevedra, Spain
 

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#63 » by Lou_23 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:30 pm

This is from Sam Vencenie guide about his defense (in STRENGTHS)
A very good defender. Love his potential as an on-ball defender. Plays really hard on that end, and uses his length and strength to really bother opponents. Attacks with forward jumps into offensive players’ bodies, then can slide to stay in front and recover. Really just pesters and makes it hard on ballhandlers. Again, because of his strength it’s really hard for guys to go through him. He slides and cuts off the angle, then absorbs contact if someone tries to play through him. Again, this is whereyou see his overall balance shine. Fights through screens at a high level. Can guard up the lineup a bit because of that strength, although his 6-6 wingspan isn’t overly long and makes him a threat to get shot over the top of. Also generally does a good job off the ball. He talks to his teammates well, and shoots passing lanes. You can’t throw lazy passes around him. Pretty good rotationally and good on switches.
Negrodamus
RealGM
Posts: 14,711
And1: 6,012
Joined: Aug 05, 2004

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#64 » by Negrodamus » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:48 pm

davesilver wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
phillynative wrote:What about drawing fouls ?


He's pretty meh at it. Would have liked him getting to the line more as a slasher.


Did you see any ability to noticeably improve throughout the season?


Umm not really. Not from what I can recall. The stats seem to back that up. He wasn't terrible at it, but you'd like to see him at SGA's level of FTr since getting to the basket is more his game.
Sixer4life74
Ballboy
Posts: 10
And1: 0
Joined: Nov 19, 2020

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#65 » by Sixer4life74 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:57 pm

Love this pick! Will improve, hard worker.
HotelVitale
General Manager
Posts: 9,058
And1: 4,651
Joined: Sep 14, 2007
Location: West Philly, PA

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#66 » by HotelVitale » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:04 am

skulky wrote:
76ciology wrote:[ Buckets

Who is this guy? Maxey does not have a scary first step. He’s not an explosive athlete or a speed demon. Yes he is crafty and knows how to use a screen, but he’s not going to blowing by defenders in the nba, cause he didn’t do that in college. And his handle is average again not tight right or super elite, it’s by no means a negative but this guy is making it sound like he has Nash or kyrie ball handling. I like the pick but he’s going to need to adjust to the pro game but it’s encouraging sounds like he’s a hard worker/gym rat. And most importantly he’s going to need to work on his shot.

Yeah, he doesn't have an elite NBA first step, hard to project him burning almost any decent pro defender one-on-one. Handle is also pretty good for a non-PG but it's not particularly sweet, he even seems a little loose on some drives when help defense comes.

It's much more of a notable skill that he both a) plays fast all the time and b) can get off his shot with just a little daylight--can pull up from deep deep, flip up a little floater from anywhere outside the arc, or get to the cup if the defender isn't right up on him. That's gotta be the hope here, he has the basic three-level skill and he might have a special talent for tough/weird shot-making. I also like the gym-rat thing but even more like that he's just a full-on hustle dude. I think he's a lotto talent because of those two things. (Also like his vision, seems to be ahead of the curve for a scorer in being disciplined about when to drop dime and when to be aggressive.)
User avatar
sodmoraes
Junior
Posts: 318
And1: 45
Joined: Dec 28, 2004

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#67 » by sodmoraes » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:05 pm

[youtube];feature=emb_logo[/youtube]

It seems his shot is way better in this video that it was when he was in college( his 3 was a push shot). If he could be a good shooter he has a lot of potential, since he´s a combo guard with good handles, and a good slashing game. If he could be a "Donovan Mitchell light" it would open so much for our team, to have a shot creator would be awesome, and a good karma, since we had to endure the fultz fiasco... :lol:
[quote:bba5df4c1f="hornetstime"]jr smith will be out of this league in 2 years, book it.[/quote]
phillynative
Analyst
Posts: 3,663
And1: 634
Joined: Dec 13, 2014

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#68 » by phillynative » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:36 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
skulky wrote:
76ciology wrote:[ Buckets

Who is this guy? Maxey does not have a scary first step. He’s not an explosive athlete or a speed demon. Yes he is crafty and knows how to use a screen, but he’s not going to blowing by defenders in the nba, cause he didn’t do that in college. And his handle is average again not tight right or super elite, it’s by no means a negative but this guy is making it sound like he has Nash or kyrie ball handling. I like the pick but he’s going to need to adjust to the pro game but it’s encouraging sounds like he’s a hard worker/gym rat. And most importantly he’s going to need to work on his shot.

Yeah, he doesn't have an elite NBA first step, hard to project him burning almost any decent pro defender one-on-one. Handle is also pretty good for a non-PG but it's not particularly sweet, he even seems a little loose on some drives when help defense comes.

It's much more of a notable skill that he both a) plays fast all the time and b) can get off his shot with just a little daylight--can pull up from deep deep, flip up a little floater from anywhere outside the arc, or get to the cup if the defender isn't right up on him. That's gotta be the hope here, he has the basic three-level skill and he might have a special talent for tough/weird shot-making. I also like the gym-rat thing but even more like that he's just a full-on hustle dude. I think he's a lotto talent because of those two things. (Also like his vision, seems to be ahead of the curve for a scorer in being disciplined about when to drop dime and when to be aggressive.)


Imo he does have a quick first step hes just not an explosive athlete thats why he alway gets crafty when he gets closer to the basket with floaters and hesis. His handles are solid he seems to have some instinct but hes no wizard.

I think his ceiling is high because of his skill set and work ethic. Reminds me of jrue a little when he first was drafted here.
PhilaOwnsBoston
Veteran
Posts: 2,736
And1: 1,576
Joined: Mar 19, 2018
 

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#69 » by PhilaOwnsBoston » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:39 pm

sodmoraes wrote:[youtube];feature=emb_logo[/youtube]

It seems his shot is way better in this video that it was when he was in college( his 3 was a push shot). If he could be a good shooter he has a lot of potential, since he´s a combo guard with good handles, and a good slashing game. If he could be a "Donovan Mitchell light" it would open so much for our team, to have a shot creator would be awesome, and a good karma, since we had to endure the fultz fiasco... :lol:


"In the NBA you gotta be able to shoot. You can't get on the floor if you can't shoot."

Ben Simmons: hold my beer
User avatar
Arsenal
RealGM
Posts: 10,277
And1: 5,273
Joined: Jun 05, 2002
Location: Arlington, VA
         

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#70 » by Arsenal » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:45 pm

Next Donovan Mitchell. Haters come at me!!!
#ThankYouSam | #TrustTheProcess
eyeatoma
RealGM
Posts: 13,277
And1: 1,891
Joined: Feb 25, 2005
Location: An Indian in Indonesia
     

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#71 » by eyeatoma » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:46 pm

Arsenal wrote:Next Donovan Mitchell. Haters come at me!!!


Will he develop with us? We've kind of sucked at player development. I've heard Sam Cassell is who helped SGA develop so maybe there is hope.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 45,148
And1: 9,550
Joined: Feb 07, 2005
Location: Parts Unknown
   

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#72 » by Stanford » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:49 pm

I've been telling people he's Wade with Chris Paul's IQ
Image
User avatar
Arsenal
RealGM
Posts: 10,277
And1: 5,273
Joined: Jun 05, 2002
Location: Arlington, VA
         

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#73 » by Arsenal » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:55 pm

Stanford wrote:I've been telling people he's Wade with Chris Paul's IQ


Let's not have crazy expectations for the kid.

A better shooting Donovan Mitchell is fine with me!
#ThankYouSam | #TrustTheProcess
cool93
Starter
Posts: 2,376
And1: 1,460
Joined: Jul 24, 2016
 

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#74 » by cool93 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:09 pm

At this point, if he is anything less than Michael Jordan, I'll be disappointed

Sent from my G3416 using RealGM mobile app
LloydFree
RealGM
Posts: 13,884
And1: 9,858
Joined: Aug 20, 2012
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#75 » by LloydFree » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:28 pm

Arsenal wrote:
Stanford wrote:I've been telling people he's Wade with Chris Paul's IQ


Let's not have crazy expectations for the kid.

A better shooting Donovan Mitchell is fine with me!

I don't see the Donovan Mitchell comps at all. He's not that kind of athlete.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
User avatar
Arsenal
RealGM
Posts: 10,277
And1: 5,273
Joined: Jun 05, 2002
Location: Arlington, VA
         

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#76 » by Arsenal » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:32 pm

LloydFree wrote:
Arsenal wrote:
Stanford wrote:I've been telling people he's Wade with Chris Paul's IQ


Let's not have crazy expectations for the kid.

A better shooting Donovan Mitchell is fine with me!

I don't see the Donovan Mitchell comps at all. He's not that kind of athlete.


Not quite the athlete but should develop into a better shooter in time. Works for me.
#ThankYouSam | #TrustTheProcess
User avatar
Sixersftw
RealGM
Posts: 14,206
And1: 4,909
Joined: Dec 23, 2006
       

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#77 » by Sixersftw » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:39 pm

I watched a lot of his games and I don't see the Mitchell play style or athleticism at all. While Maxey is a good defender, Mitchell at UL was really something. I see a lot more of "prospect" Fultz with a better head on his shoulders and a better shoulder on his body. Not the same athlete or defensive prospect either but he's definitely above averagely in both categories.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
Kobblehead
RealGM
Posts: 31,372
And1: 13,061
Joined: Apr 15, 2010
 

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#78 » by Kobblehead » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:48 pm

More like Brandon Knight/Coby White.

Nowhere near the defender or twitchy athlete that Donovan Mitchell was coming out.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
Posts: 31,138
And1: 13,242
Joined: Jan 25, 2005

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#79 » by Sixerscan » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:48 pm

Mario Chalmers maybe?
freshie2
RealGM
Posts: 11,256
And1: 526
Joined: Jun 24, 2004

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#80 » by freshie2 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:49 pm

Andrew Toney

Return to Philadelphia 76ers