ImageImageImage

Welcome Tyrese Maxey!

Moderators: BullyKing, HartfordWhalers, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

eyeatoma
RealGM
Posts: 16,535
And1: 3,640
Joined: Feb 25, 2005
Location: An Indian in Indonesia
     

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#841 » by eyeatoma » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:47 pm

Kobblehead wrote:We're definitely in an awkward phase where Maxey is playing a ton of minutes and not really doing much when he's on the court. He's apprehensive (understandably so) and floating out there for a good chunk of his minutes.

It's fine if he doesn't want to offend the starters by attacking a bunch off the dribble and going one-on-one, but he's got to find more ways to be useful when he's on the court. I want to see him taking catch and shoot threes or generating assists for others.
Are you drunk?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
elchengue20
Rookie
Posts: 1,204
And1: 884
Joined: Aug 17, 2013

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#842 » by elchengue20 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:49 am

This kid is the perfect example why determination and work ethic have to be a MAJOR asset when evualating a prospect.
User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 50,033
And1: 16,222
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#843 » by 76ciology » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:22 am

eyeatoma wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:We're definitely in an awkward phase where Maxey is playing a ton of minutes and not really doing much when he's on the court. He's apprehensive (understandably so) and floating out there for a good chunk of his minutes.

It's fine if he doesn't want to offend the starters by attacking a bunch off the dribble and going one-on-one, but he's got to find more ways to be useful when he's on the court. I want to see him taking catch and shoot threes or generating assists for others.
Are you drunk?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk


Kobble,

The way I look at Maxey is the the coaching staff (Doc and Cassell) have been coaching him to play smarter. He’s not that good to take over games like Dame. He has to pick when it’s the best time to shift it into another gear and be aggressive.

I can’t remember which game it was. But there was a game when he passed up 2-3 shots to start the game. Then Doc was shouting at the baseline telling him to be aggressive then he suddenly shifted into a scorer from facilitator. Then there was that other game with Embiid, when in the third quarter you can see that they were trying to feed him the ball and letting him a feel of playing that role when a player has to take over a quarter.

You see the same thing with Tobi and Seth. I believe Tobi plays well in 2nd quarter then Seth likes to take over in 3rd quarters.

Our guys, aside from Embiid, are not elite players who can just score when they want to. But they can be very good if they pick their spots and when to score. The way I see how Morey and Doc wants our offense we really prioritize efficiency above all things, and our way to execute this vision on offense is playing as a group, being smart and methodical by knowing when to take shots and knowing which shots to take.
“If anyone can refute me—show me I'm making a mistake or looking at things from the wrong perspective—I'll gladly change. It's the truth I'm after, and the truth never harmed anyone." Marcus Aurelius.
User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 50,033
And1: 16,222
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#844 » by 76ciology » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:26 am

elchengue20 wrote:This kid is the perfect example why determination and work ethic have to be a MAJOR asset when evualating a prospect.


It’s also a perfect example of how abundant these type of sub 20ppg scorers are incoming to the league.

Steph revolutionized the game. Guards are taught to be good shooters, run PnR and do ISO step backs at a young age. Then when they play in the NBA, there is very little transition for these guys.
“If anyone can refute me—show me I'm making a mistake or looking at things from the wrong perspective—I'll gladly change. It's the truth I'm after, and the truth never harmed anyone." Marcus Aurelius.
User avatar
Embiid P
Analyst
Posts: 3,375
And1: 1,044
Joined: Nov 07, 2013
     

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#845 » by Embiid P » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:53 pm

76ciology wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:We're definitely in an awkward phase where Maxey is playing a ton of minutes and not really doing much when he's on the court. He's apprehensive (understandably so) and floating out there for a good chunk of his minutes.

It's fine if he doesn't want to offend the starters by attacking a bunch off the dribble and going one-on-one, but he's got to find more ways to be useful when he's on the court. I want to see him taking catch and shoot threes or generating assists for others.
Are you drunk?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk


Kobble,

The way I look at Maxey is the the coaching staff (Doc and Cassell) have been coaching him to play smarter. He’s not that good to take over games like Dame. He has to pick when it’s the best time to shift it into another gear and be aggressive.

I can’t remember which game it was. But there was a game when he passed up 2-3 shots to start the game. Then Doc was shouting at the baseline telling him to be aggressive then he suddenly shifted into a scorer from facilitator. Then there was that other game with Embiid, when in the third quarter you can see that they were trying to feed him the ball and letting him a feel of playing that role when a player has to take over a quarter.

You see the same thing with Tobi and Seth. I believe Tobi plays well in 2nd quarter then Seth likes to take over in 3rd quarters.

Our guys, aside from Embiid, are not elite players who can just score when they want to. But they can be very good if they pick their spots and when to score. The way I see how Morey and Doc wants our offense we really prioritize efficiency above all things, and our way to execute this vision on offense is playing as a group, being smart and methodical by knowing when to take shots and knowing which shots to take.


I can agree with this assessment. Realistically, Embiid can score at any time but given that the opposition tends to ramp up the double teams on him in crunch time in close games, his effectiveness as a scorer is limited at least before we had a reliable scoring guard off the dribble to potentially open things up for him. Enter Maxey. The kid seems to have ice water in his veins and isn't afraid of the moment. If he had to pick a time to carry the scoring load, it would be in crunch time. If he keeps working on his outside shot and pull up jumper, he'll be virtually unguardable.
Kobblehead
RealGM
Posts: 35,814
And1: 15,524
Joined: Apr 15, 2010
 

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#846 » by Kobblehead » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:00 pm

76ciology wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:We're definitely in an awkward phase where Maxey is playing a ton of minutes and not really doing much when he's on the court. He's apprehensive (understandably so) and floating out there for a good chunk of his minutes.

It's fine if he doesn't want to offend the starters by attacking a bunch off the dribble and going one-on-one, but he's got to find more ways to be useful when he's on the court. I want to see him taking catch and shoot threes or generating assists for others.
Are you drunk?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk


Kobble,

The way I look at Maxey is the the coaching staff (Doc and Cassell) have been coaching him to play smarter. He’s not that good to take over games like Dame. He has to pick when it’s the best time to shift it into another gear and be aggressive.

I can’t remember which game it was. But there was a game when he passed up 2-3 shots to start the game. Then Doc was shouting at the baseline telling him to be aggressive then he suddenly shifted into a scorer from facilitator. Then there was that other game with Embiid, when in the third quarter you can see that they were trying to feed him the ball and letting him a feel of playing that role when a player has to take over a quarter.

You see the same thing with Tobi and Seth. I believe Tobi plays well in 2nd quarter then Seth likes to take over in 3rd quarters.

Our guys, aside from Embiid, are not elite players who can just score when they want to. But they can be very good if they pick their spots and when to score. The way I see how Morey and Doc wants our offense we really prioritize efficiency above all things, and our way to execute this vision on offense is playing as a group, being smart and methodical by knowing when to take shots and knowing which shots to take.


The problem is that when he's not in attack mode, he's floating out there doing nothing. Either he'll be ignored or he'll get a pass, not shoot an open three, and swing it again.

We need to get Maxey out of the awkward phase of passing up open catch and shoot threes and standing around doing nothing when he's not in attack mode.

It's unacceptable for him to being shooting 11% better from three and shooting even less than he did last year .

He needs to become a better fit with the other players in the starting lineup (especially Embiid).
elchengue20
Rookie
Posts: 1,204
And1: 884
Joined: Aug 17, 2013

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#847 » by elchengue20 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:15 pm

76ciology wrote:
elchengue20 wrote:This kid is the perfect example why determination and work ethic have to be a MAJOR asset when evualating a prospect.


It’s also a perfect example of how abundant these type of sub 20ppg scorers are incoming to the league.

Steph revolutionized the game. Guards are taught to be good shooters, run PnR and do ISO step backs at a young age. Then when they play in the NBA, there is very little transition for these guys.



I think it also an example of how you have to draft players who fit where the league is going.

We learned that lesson the hard way, drafting a player like Okafor who could have been a good player 30 years ago, but cant play in the modern NBA.
kuclas
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,915
And1: 2,790
Joined: Nov 08, 2016
     

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#848 » by kuclas » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:59 am

elchengue20 wrote:This kid is the perfect example why determination and work ethic have to be a MAJOR asset when evualating a prospect.

He was a 5 star recruit. Ranked 10th in his class. 3rd overall guard. I don’t think his talent was ever in question. Just his size/position. Combo guard. And outside shot.

Here is his espn recruiting from 2019

“ Tyrese Maxey is a scorer! He has a gift for putting the ball in the basket. He is a solid shooter with his feet set to 22 feet. Tyrese is a combo guard that could project as a lead guard at the highest level. He has a good mid range game and is an excellent slasher to the basket. Maxey has good athleticism and can be a top notch defender when motivated.
Weakness:
Maxey has "in between" size and is a scorer first so he doesn't project as a true point guard. He is an excellent basketball player so his size won't prevent him from being an impact guy at the collegiate level. Defensively he can lose concentration from time to time and sometimes doesn't feel challenged but he has the physical capability (long limbs, athleticism and size) to be a great defender.
Bottom Line:
Tyrese's ability to score makes him an elite prospect. The more he shows his ability to play point guard or grow to 6'5 , the higher his stock for the highest level.”
Kobblehead
RealGM
Posts: 35,814
And1: 15,524
Joined: Apr 15, 2010
 

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#849 » by Kobblehead » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:23 am

Hussien Fatal wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:We're definitely in an awkward phase where Maxey is playing a ton of minutes and not really doing much when he's on the court. He's apprehensive (understandably so) and floating out there for a good chunk of his minutes.

It's fine if he doesn't want to offend the starters by attacking a bunch off the dribble and going one-on-one, but he's got to find more ways to be useful when he's on the court. I want to see him taking catch and shoot threes or generating assists for others.


Lol this has to be the dumbest post on the Sixers board that I’ve seen in a while.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2138118
Thread title: Who will have a Brighter Future Anthony Edwards or Tyrese Maxey?

LOL
elchengue20
Rookie
Posts: 1,204
And1: 884
Joined: Aug 17, 2013

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#850 » by elchengue20 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:58 am

kuclas wrote:
elchengue20 wrote:This kid is the perfect example why determination and work ethic have to be a MAJOR asset when evualating a prospect.

He was a 5 star recruit. Ranked 10th in his class. 3rd overall guard. I don’t think his talent was ever in question. Just his size/position. Combo guard. And outside shot.

Here is his espn recruiting from 2019

“ Tyrese Maxey is a scorer! He has a gift for putting the ball in the basket. He is a solid shooter with his feet set to 22 feet. Tyrese is a combo guard that could project as a lead guard at the highest level. He has a good mid range game and is an excellent slasher to the basket. Maxey has good athleticism and can be a top notch defender when motivated.
Weakness:
Maxey has "in between" size and is a scorer first so he doesn't project as a true point guard. He is an excellent basketball player so his size won't prevent him from being an impact guy at the collegiate level. Defensively he can lose concentration from time to time and sometimes doesn't feel challenged but he has the physical capability (long limbs, athleticism and size) to be a great defender.
Bottom Line:
Tyrese's ability to score makes him an elite prospect. The more he shows his ability to play point guard or grow to 6'5 , the higher his stock for the highest level.”



Sure, maybe in high schooll or college, but in the NBA level he doesnt have any natural gift that makes him special. He doesnt have good size. Also he isnt a natural point guard/playmaker/passer or shooter. There is a reason he dropped in the Draft.

The key is hes improving day by day by working hard. Also you can see he isnt afraid, he wants to be great and take the challenge.

Hes the opposite of guys like Fultz or Simmoms who have all the talent in the world but serious issues with their personalitys.
User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 50,033
And1: 16,222
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#851 » by 76ciology » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:08 am

Kobblehead wrote:
76ciology wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:Are you drunk?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk


Kobble,

The way I look at Maxey is the the coaching staff (Doc and Cassell) have been coaching him to play smarter. He’s not that good to take over games like Dame. He has to pick when it’s the best time to shift it into another gear and be aggressive.

I can’t remember which game it was. But there was a game when he passed up 2-3 shots to start the game. Then Doc was shouting at the baseline telling him to be aggressive then he suddenly shifted into a scorer from facilitator. Then there was that other game with Embiid, when in the third quarter you can see that they were trying to feed him the ball and letting him a feel of playing that role when a player has to take over a quarter.

You see the same thing with Tobi and Seth. I believe Tobi plays well in 2nd quarter then Seth likes to take over in 3rd quarters.

Our guys, aside from Embiid, are not elite players who can just score when they want to. But they can be very good if they pick their spots and when to score. The way I see how Morey and Doc wants our offense we really prioritize efficiency above all things, and our way to execute this vision on offense is playing as a group, being smart and methodical by knowing when to take shots and knowing which shots to take.


The problem is that when he's not in attack mode, he's floating out there doing nothing. Either he'll be ignored or he'll get a pass, not shoot an open three, and swing it again.

We need to get Maxey out of the awkward phase of passing up open catch and shoot threes and standing around doing nothing when he's not in attack mode.

It's unacceptable for him to being shooting 11% better from three and shooting even less than he did last year .

He needs to become a better fit with the other players in the starting lineup (especially Embiid).


Sometimes passing up open shots allow you to get better looks on shots that has high value relative to the entire game. This is if you look at every shots of the game not equal in value whereas garbage time shots have lesser in value than crucn time shots.

There are also times when your teammate is in rhythm when you have to pass up those shots. And reserve your bullets when his rhythm runs out or dies down.

Jimmy does the same trick.
“If anyone can refute me—show me I'm making a mistake or looking at things from the wrong perspective—I'll gladly change. It's the truth I'm after, and the truth never harmed anyone." Marcus Aurelius.
sodmoraes
Senior
Posts: 689
And1: 256
Joined: Dec 28, 2004
 

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#852 » by sodmoraes » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:35 pm

Maxey seems to be way more confortable shooting 3s in the last few games( uping his volume), good for him. I think if he shoots mainly uncontested 3s for the rest of the year, seems safe to predict he´s already a 35% + shooter with decent volume.

My only worry with him is his passing ability, i dont know if he can improve it. He doesnt have good vision. Improving his passing game would be crucial for him, since is the diference betwen being close to an all star pg( 20 ppg and 6 apg in the future) and being a spark plug scorer bench player, which has way less value( and wil have way lesss money for him). I hope he can improve, as he seems to be a great kid with great work ethics.
[quote:bba5df4c1f="hornetstime"]jr smith will be out of this league in 2 years, book it.[/quote]
Hussien Fatal
Starter
Posts: 2,083
And1: 756
Joined: Jul 07, 2006
Location: N-E-W Jers where plenty murders occur

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#853 » by Hussien Fatal » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:49 am

He is a 2nd year player knocking on the door to a 50/40/90 season.And he is a decent defender. Hes just old enough to buy a beer. He has a great amount of potential if hes already this good.
They call me Hussien Fatal its a two game table im robbin you **** cradle wit a knife in your navel....
youngcrev
RealGM
Posts: 24,454
And1: 5,850
Joined: Jun 12, 2005
Location: Philadelphia(ish)
   

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#854 » by youngcrev » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:15 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
76ciology wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:Are you drunk?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk


Kobble,

The way I look at Maxey is the the coaching staff (Doc and Cassell) have been coaching him to play smarter. He’s not that good to take over games like Dame. He has to pick when it’s the best time to shift it into another gear and be aggressive.

I can’t remember which game it was. But there was a game when he passed up 2-3 shots to start the game. Then Doc was shouting at the baseline telling him to be aggressive then he suddenly shifted into a scorer from facilitator. Then there was that other game with Embiid, when in the third quarter you can see that they were trying to feed him the ball and letting him a feel of playing that role when a player has to take over a quarter.

You see the same thing with Tobi and Seth. I believe Tobi plays well in 2nd quarter then Seth likes to take over in 3rd quarters.

Our guys, aside from Embiid, are not elite players who can just score when they want to. But they can be very good if they pick their spots and when to score. The way I see how Morey and Doc wants our offense we really prioritize efficiency above all things, and our way to execute this vision on offense is playing as a group, being smart and methodical by knowing when to take shots and knowing which shots to take.


The problem is that when he's not in attack mode, he's floating out there doing nothing. Either he'll be ignored or he'll get a pass, not shoot an open three, and swing it again.

We need to get Maxey out of the awkward phase of passing up open catch and shoot threes and standing around doing nothing when he's not in attack mode.

It's unacceptable for him to being shooting 11% better from three and shooting even less than he did last year .

He needs to become a better fit with the other players in the starting lineup (especially Embiid).


Yeah, he seems far more comfortable creating his own shot off the dribble than he is letting it fly off the catch. Tiny sample size alert, but he's taking 1.7 catch and shoot 3s a game at 38.5% and 1.6 pull up 3s at 45.8%.

Him turning into a high quality off the dribble threat fills a huge need for the team, but on a team that revolves around the big fella, becoming a bigger threat off the ball is the obvious next step for Maxey.

That said... Obviously the kid has improved a ton, so I'm sure this just comes off as hyper critical. He's exceeding expectations, it's just the logical next step for him.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
Posts: 32,558
And1: 14,705
Joined: Jan 25, 2005

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#855 » by Sixerscan » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:17 pm

76ciology wrote:
elchengue20 wrote:This kid is the perfect example why determination and work ethic have to be a MAJOR asset when evualating a prospect.


It’s also a perfect example of how abundant these type of sub 20ppg scorers are incoming to the league.

Steph revolutionized the game. Guards are taught to be good shooters, run PnR and do ISO step backs at a young age. Then when they play in the NBA, there is very little transition for these guys.

There’s plenty of young guards on crappy teams that can get points. The difference is (a) Maxey is doing it in a very good offense and (b) he’s incredibly efficient doing it. His true shooting is up over .600 at this point which like only a handful of starting guards can say that and almost all of them are either stars or spot up shooters.

Maxey is the only guard with a .600+ true shooting that is 24 years old or younger (he’s 21) averaging 10 ppg or more (he’s averaging 17.8). Bring it down to .580 true shooting (he’s at .609), and it’s just him, Morant and Darius Garland.

The playmaking is still a work in progress but from a pure scoring standpoint he’s doing great bordering on elite stuff for his age. Knobble is going overboard with getting annoyed by it but I would like to see him up his volume. The thing is though he’s in a starting lineup with several other very efficient players so everyone has to sort of pick their spots.
Sportfan73
Analyst
Posts: 3,288
And1: 967
Joined: Jun 18, 2015
   

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#856 » by Sportfan73 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:46 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
76ciology wrote:
elchengue20 wrote:This kid is the perfect example why determination and work ethic have to be a MAJOR asset when evualating a prospect.


It’s also a perfect example of how abundant these type of sub 20ppg scorers are incoming to the league.

Steph revolutionized the game. Guards are taught to be good shooters, run PnR and do ISO step backs at a young age. Then when they play in the NBA, there is very little transition for these guys.

There’s plenty of young guards on crappy teams that can get points. The difference is (a) Maxey is doing it in a very good offense and (b) he’s incredibly efficient doing it. His true shooting is up over .600 at this point which like only a handful of starting guards can say that and almost all of them are either stars or spot up shooters.

Maxey is the only guard with a .600+ true shooting that is 24 years old or younger (he’s 21) averaging 10 ppg or more (he’s averaging 17.8). Bring it down to .580 true shooting (he’s at .609), and it’s just him, Morant and Darius Garland.

The playmaking is still a work in progress but from a pure scoring standpoint he’s doing great bordering on elite stuff for his age. Knobble is going overboard with getting annoyed by it but I would like to see him up his volume. The thing is though he’s in a starting lineup with several other very efficient players so everyone has to sort of pick their spots.

The thing is we are running this motion offense that’s not conducive to him racking up assists at all. Like if we were running atl trae offense with high pick and roll every time down and reads out of that he would have 2-3 more a game just on lobs. Hell even bens assists were down last year in docs offense, and I don’t think that’s a bad thing. I would like to see more of a mix between motion and high pnr for Maxey tho. Like when we don’t have Jo I wouldn’t mind a steady diet of it
elchengue20
Rookie
Posts: 1,204
And1: 884
Joined: Aug 17, 2013

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#857 » by elchengue20 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:46 pm

I rather see he him keeping the efficency and try to up the volume slowly. Hes playing very well right now, its not his job yet to carry the offense consistenly.

There is no point in start to chuck shots just to get to "25 a game", hes probably more usefull to the team playing the way hes playing right now. Trust the process.
HotelVitale
RealGM
Posts: 10,750
And1: 6,019
Joined: Sep 14, 2007
Location: West Philly, PA

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#858 » by HotelVitale » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:58 pm

elchengue20 wrote:
kuclas wrote:
elchengue20 wrote:This kid is the perfect example why determination and work ethic have to be a MAJOR asset when evualating a prospect.

He was a 5 star recruit. Ranked 10th in his class. 3rd overall guard. I don’t think his talent was ever in question. Just his size/position. Combo guard. And outside shot.

Here is his espn recruiting from 2019

“ Tyrese Maxey is a scorer! He has a gift for putting the ball in the basket. He is a solid shooter with his feet set to 22 feet. Tyrese is a combo guard that could project as a lead guard at the highest level. He has a good mid range game and is an excellent slasher to the basket. Maxey has good athleticism and can be a top notch defender when motivated.
Weakness:
Maxey has "in between" size and is a scorer first so he doesn't project as a true point guard. He is an excellent basketball player so his size won't prevent him from being an impact guy at the collegiate level. Defensively he can lose concentration from time to time and sometimes doesn't feel challenged but he has the physical capability (long limbs, athleticism and size) to be a great defender.
Bottom Line:
Tyrese's ability to score makes him an elite prospect. The more he shows his ability to play point guard or grow to 6'5 , the higher his stock for the highest level.”


Sure, maybe in high schooll or college, but in the NBA level he doesnt have any natural gift that makes him special. He doesnt have good size. Also he isnt a natural point guard/playmaker/passer or shooter. There is a reason he dropped in the Draft.

The key is hes improving day by day by working hard. Also you can see he isnt afraid, he wants to be great and take the challenge.

Hes the opposite of guys like Fultz or Simmoms who have all the talent in the world but serious issues with their personalitys.


You had me until Fultz--Fultz has a terrific attitude and has always worked his tail off all the time. His issues is that his status as a top pick was premised on him being an awesome pull-up shooter--that's what he was in college, 100% legit 3-level scorer--and then he mysteriously lost the ability to shoot from beyond 10 feet. Hence he lost 2 of those 3 levels. Without a reliable shot--let alone the great one he had at UW--he never had the talent to be a top pick. Would have been maybe a mid-2nd rounder, hustle guy with great size for a PG and lots of potential in the pn'r.
HotelVitale
RealGM
Posts: 10,750
And1: 6,019
Joined: Sep 14, 2007
Location: West Philly, PA

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#859 » by HotelVitale » Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:09 am

HotelVitale wrote:
kuclas wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:Fellas, Sexton just averaged 24+ ppg on solid efficiency, Maxey averaged 8 on meh efficiency. I get that if you squint there are some similarities but let the guy be a decent rotation player first before deciding who or what he is.
Sexton is a better player right now. He’s a better shooter as well. But how much more is sexton really when adjusted for age/experience and minutes played as well as being the number 1 option than maxey. I agree. We need to get maxey more minutes. See what he can do. But the kid was a 5 star recruit for a reason. Maxey is already a good free throw shooter which usually translate to good 3 point shooting. Plus maxey on rookie contract.
I mean, I'm all for optimism but, no, it's not the expected course for someone to shoot from 8ppg as a rookie to 25ppg two years later. That obviously almost never happens. And like 30 people are 5 star recruits every year, most of em don't come anywhere close to being decent NBA players, let alone scoring 25ppg.

I'm excited for this season and following Maxey's progression in it, just think it doesn't do anyone any good to not appreciate how difficult it is to be good in the NBA. It's a big achievement if Maxey becomes a solid score-first 7th man soon and he'll have to make real and sustained improvements to get there. To go beyond that will be very impressive and I want to be able to give him fair props if he does do it.


After the DEN game I'm ready to correct myself and give Maxey his due--he deserves the extra props for doing something that's very hard to do and that I doubted he could. Last year and at UK I saw a guy who had to hunt really hard to find gaps to get his shots off, and whose go-to moves--10-15 foot floaters and full sprints into traffic--were really tough things to build a game around as a NBA scoring combo guard. I always said I wouldn't count him out but wouldn't bet on him being starting level soon because of that, and he's proven that wrong. The shots he takes are still hard to generate and he still has to work hard to get daylight, but he's been aggressive, disciplined, and crafty enough to get his shot enough to hold his own in the SL, and he's also converting at an impressive rate from everywhere. He's shooting 75% at the rim (!), 45% from midrange, and 43% from 3. That's awesome for someone playing his minutes

I kinda keep waiting for the other shoe to drop--how does a shorter guy without a pure shot, great hops, or a great first step keep getting an efficient 20+? But it also doesn't look all that unsustainable when you watch him, he's just outworking his defenders and (mostly) taking the type of shots he looks comfortable with. Some guys can just do it at this level, lucky we got one.
elchengue20
Rookie
Posts: 1,204
And1: 884
Joined: Aug 17, 2013

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#860 » by elchengue20 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:09 am

HotelVitale wrote:
elchengue20 wrote:
kuclas wrote:He was a 5 star recruit. Ranked 10th in his class. 3rd overall guard. I don’t think his talent was ever in question. Just his size/position. Combo guard. And outside shot.

Here is his espn recruiting from 2019

“ Tyrese Maxey is a scorer! He has a gift for putting the ball in the basket. He is a solid shooter with his feet set to 22 feet. Tyrese is a combo guard that could project as a lead guard at the highest level. He has a good mid range game and is an excellent slasher to the basket. Maxey has good athleticism and can be a top notch defender when motivated.
Weakness:
Maxey has "in between" size and is a scorer first so he doesn't project as a true point guard. He is an excellent basketball player so his size won't prevent him from being an impact guy at the collegiate level. Defensively he can lose concentration from time to time and sometimes doesn't feel challenged but he has the physical capability (long limbs, athleticism and size) to be a great defender.
Bottom Line:
Tyrese's ability to score makes him an elite prospect. The more he shows his ability to play point guard or grow to 6'5 , the higher his stock for the highest level.”


Sure, maybe in high schooll or college, but in the NBA level he doesnt have any natural gift that makes him special. He doesnt have good size. Also he isnt a natural point guard/playmaker/passer or shooter. There is a reason he dropped in the Draft.

The key is hes improving day by day by working hard. Also you can see he isnt afraid, he wants to be great and take the challenge.

Hes the opposite of guys like Fultz or Simmoms who have all the talent in the world but serious issues with their personalitys.


You had me until Fultz--Fultz has a terrific attitude and has always worked his tail off all the time. His issues is that his status as a top pick was premised on him being an awesome pull-up shooter--that's what he was in college, 100% legit 3-level scorer--and then he mysteriously lost the ability to shoot from beyond 10 feet. Hence he lost 2 of those 3 levels. Without a reliable shot--let alone the great one he had at UW--he never had the talent to be a top pick. Would have been maybe a mid-2nd rounder, hustle guy with great size for a PG and lots of potential in the pn'r.


And how he forgot how to shoot?

Kid has some serious issues between his ears, its not difficult to see.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers