ImageImageImage

Offseason Thread No. 3: Non-Linear Growth

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

Sportfan73
Starter
Posts: 2,188
And1: 489
Joined: Jun 18, 2015
   

Re: Offseason Thread No. 3: Non-Linear Growth 

Post#21 » by Sportfan73 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:58 pm

Kobblehead wrote:My paranoia regarding signing Austin Rivers revolves around the possibility of negatively impacting Maxey's growth and Doc over-relying on his son to fill a role on the team that is probably too big a role for us to feel comfortable with.

I tend to agree, I’d rather stand pat or add someone qualified, the in between seems pointless.
Sportfan73
Starter
Posts: 2,188
And1: 489
Joined: Jun 18, 2015
   

Re: Offseason Thread No. 3: Non-Linear Growth 

Post#22 » by Sportfan73 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:00 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Regarding keeping Scott or signing Ilyasova: Why do we want these 6'8" 230 pound floor spacers on the floor with our franchise pieces?

I think it makes way more sense to go smaller with those surrounding pieces and prioritize defensive abilities and, ideally, shotcreation.

Wonder if Isaiah Thomas saying that hip surgery cleared everything up for him is legit? I’d kick the tires for the min on him.
Olabikkel
Ballboy
Posts: 45
And1: 6
Joined: May 02, 2020
         

Re: Offseason Thread No. 3: Non-Linear Growth 

Post#23 » by Olabikkel » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:03 pm

AT the moment, Scott is our only backup pf. Because i see Simmons as point guard and we cant trust on reed yet.

So i expect adding 1 big man (c/pf) will seem necessary.
And probably a exp point guard also. Reggie Jackson looks good!?

Khorkmaz is expiring and if he has some value we should use it in a trade to make an upgrade. Adding z. Smith seems most logic thing to do (because he is behind curry and milton on sg and behind Green and thybulle on sf).
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
Posts: 8,069
And1: 1,867
Joined: Jun 28, 2002

Re: Offseason Thread No. 3: Non-Linear Growth 

Post#24 » by sixers hoops » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:05 pm

skulky wrote:
ckchen wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:Zhaire and Terrance have no potential. They were bad picks with terrible skillsets. Neither player would be in the NBA if it wasn't for their athleticism.


You could say the same thing about half of the draft picks from this past draft. That's the whole point of a developmental player.

Taking a 6’3” raw athlete that played pf/c in college was a bad idea. And unfortunately everything has gone the wrong way for him since with allergies and injuries. He had no handle, shot, and really any fundamentals on either end. He had some flashy highlights and a crazy dunk in a tournament game. It was such a mistake to draft him instead of sga or mikal. The roster as currently constructed has no minutes for zhaire, and there’s not likely to be a g league this year.


Was Zhaire for Mikal a bad trade? Obviously

Is Zhaire’s career pretty much done? I have no clue. The guy’s career minutes have been less than three NBA games.

Thybulle played so well in camp, he earned himself a spot in the rotation. Shake played so well in the G-League he worked his way into the rotation. You can deduce that he hasn’t improved to that level. However, how much he has improved is almost anybody's guess since we’ve seen so little.

I assume Morey and Doc will watch some film and see if he is worth keeping. However, they probably won’t give him a qualifying offer, so he likely won’t be here next year anyway.
Kobblehead
RealGM
Posts: 31,372
And1: 13,061
Joined: Apr 15, 2010
 

Re: Offseason Thread No. 3: Non-Linear Growth 

Post#25 » by Kobblehead » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:06 pm

sixers hoops wrote:Is he even a good fit for us? I don’t want to rule a guy out just because his dad is coach, but how is Austin a good fit? I haven’t seen enough of him over his career to have a good feel for his game.


I don't think he's a good fit, but I do think he fills a void that we have by way of creating off the dribble and scoring in the halfcourt.

There's a lot of deficiencies to his game that make him a bad fit, though. He doesn't move the ball well, he's a terrible defensive player, his shot selection is very poor, he's not liked by teammates, he's not a good shooter, and he's a liability at the free throw line in close games.

Whether signing him would be a good move depends on what you're looking for in a roster acquisition. Are you seeking symmetry above all else, or are you trying to add talent that might be able to benefit you come playoff time. Rivers will not assimilate nicely into the team by way of fit, but he is a guy that can make plays in a playoff series.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
Posts: 8,069
And1: 1,867
Joined: Jun 28, 2002

Re: Offseason Thread No. 3: Non-Linear Growth 

Post#26 » by sixers hoops » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:07 pm

Olabikkel wrote:AT the moment, Scott is our only backup pf. Because i see Simmons as point guard and we cant trust on reed yet.

So i expect adding 1 big man (c/pf) will seem necessary.
And probably a exp point guard also. Reggie Jackson looks good!?

Khorkmaz is expiring and if he has some value we should use it in a trade to make an upgrade. Adding z. Smith seems most logic thing to do (because he is behind curry and milton on sg and behind Green and thybulle on sf).


I like Furkan because you can never have enough shooters, but he’s not a sniper and likely won’t be in the rotation. I’d trade him for anything of value.
Skates
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,721
And1: 1,930
Joined: Feb 18, 2008
       

Re: Offseason Thread No. 3: Non-Linear Growth 

Post#27 » by Skates » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:08 pm

Looking at ESPN’s summary of team FA and trades so far, they list us as receiving Vincent Poirier (sp?), presumably from the Thunder who had recently acquired him from the Celtics. French center, defensive specialist that played one year in Boston in garbage time at age 26. Is that really part of our trade with the Thunder, is he a real person and where did I miss this?

I’m thinking it could be an error given how complex the various Thunder trades are, but enlighten my confused brain, if you would?
User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 44,177
And1: 13,878
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: Offseason Thread No. 3: Non-Linear Growth 

Post#28 » by 76ciology » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:14 pm

Kobblehead wrote:My paranoia regarding signing Austin Rivers revolves around the possibility of negatively impacting Maxey's growth and Doc over-relying on his son to fill a role on the team that is probably too big a role for us to feel comfortable with.


Do you have more faith on Maxey than Rivers as a 6th man scorer?

I dont have much info on Maxey but I like what I saw.

While Rivers is a high variance guy that when he gets it going he can play like a weak star scorer. I think Rivers is a more reliable player.
“Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there is absolutely no point.”
User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 44,177
And1: 13,878
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: Offseason Thread No. 3: Non-Linear Growth 

Post#29 » by 76ciology » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:19 pm

I’ll see what Zhaire can bring in the training camp. Will then try to pump and dump him. But I’m not optimistic with Zhaire. Just Sixers luck with the food allergy stuff that really was a big blow to his development.
“Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there is absolutely no point.”
Kobblehead
RealGM
Posts: 31,372
And1: 13,061
Joined: Apr 15, 2010
 

Re: Offseason Thread No. 3: Non-Linear Growth 

Post#30 » by Kobblehead » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:26 pm

76ciology wrote:Do you have more faith on Maxey than Rivers as a 6th man scorer?

I dont have much info on Maxey but I like what I saw.

While Rivers is a high variance guy that when he gets it going he can play like a weak star scorer. I think Rivers is a more reliable player.


It's natural instinct to want to have more faith in and be able to rely more on a 28 year old veteran over a 19 year old rookie.

However, based purely on skillsets, Maxey is a far better finisher and a much more reliable free throw shooter.

I'd rather have Maxey as my 6th, 7th, or 8th man. If Austin Rivers was on one my roster, I'd prefer him on the fringes of the rotation ready to step in when needed or if other guys aren't getting the job done.

I'd choose Maxey, despite him being an unproven teenager.
Kobblehead
RealGM
Posts: 31,372
And1: 13,061
Joined: Apr 15, 2010
 

Re: Offseason Thread No. 3: Non-Linear Growth 

Post#31 » by Kobblehead » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:28 pm

That said, you can never have enough shotcreaters on the roster. So I wouldn't hate signing Rivers. I'd just really want to make sure Doc didn't over-rely on him.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
Posts: 8,069
And1: 1,867
Joined: Jun 28, 2002

Re: Offseason Thread No. 3: Non-Linear Growth 

Post#32 » by sixers hoops » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:33 pm

Skates wrote:Looking at ESPN’s summary of team FA and trades so far, they list us as receiving Vincent Poirier (sp?), presumably from the Thunder who had recently acquired him from the Celtics. French center, defensive specialist that played one year in Boston in garbage time at age 26. Is that really part of our trade with the Thunder, is he a real person and where did I miss this?

I’m thinking it could be an error given how complex the various Thunder trades are, but enlighten my confused brain, if you would?


I hear he is a poor man’s Rentzias, so his floor is a perennial all-star.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
Posts: 31,138
And1: 13,242
Joined: Jan 25, 2005

Re: Offseason Thread No. 3: Non-Linear Growth 

Post#33 » by Sixerscan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:39 pm

Skates wrote:Looking at ESPN’s summary of team FA and trades so far, they list us as receiving Vincent Poirier (sp?), presumably from the Thunder who had recently acquired him from the Celtics. French center, defensive specialist that played one year in Boston in garbage time at age 26. Is that really part of our trade with the Thunder, is he a real person and where did I miss this?

I’m thinking it could be an error given how complex the various Thunder trades are, but enlighten my confused brain, if you would?

It’s an error as far as I know.
User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 44,177
And1: 13,878
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: Offseason Thread No. 3: Non-Linear Growth 

Post#34 » by 76ciology » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:43 pm

Kobblehead wrote:That said, you can never have enough shotcreaters on the roster. So I wouldn't hate signing Rivers. I'd just really want to make sure Doc didn't over-rely on him.


Yup. Having Maxey and Rivers should be an interesting position
“Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there is absolutely no point.”
the_process
RealGM
Posts: 18,916
And1: 4,576
Joined: May 01, 2010

Re: Offseason Thread No. 3: Non-Linear Growth 

Post#35 » by the_process » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:44 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Regarding keeping Scott or signing Ilyasova: Why do we want these 6'8" 230 pound floor spacers on the floor with our franchise pieces?

I think it makes way more sense to go smaller with those surrounding pieces and prioritize defensive abilities and, ideally, shotcreation.


Jo has said he likes playing with stretch 4’s, and having one as a cheap backup certainly doesn’t hurt.
ckchen
Veteran
Posts: 2,691
And1: 528
Joined: Aug 07, 2001

Re: Offseason Thread No. 3: Non-Linear Growth 

Post#36 » by ckchen » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:51 pm

Skates wrote:Looking at ESPN’s summary of team FA and trades so far, they list us as receiving Vincent Poirier (sp?), presumably from the Thunder who had recently acquired him from the Celtics. French center, defensive specialist that played one year in Boston in garbage time at age 26. Is that really part of our trade with the Thunder, is he a real person and where did I miss this?

I’m thinking it could be an error given how complex the various Thunder trades are, but enlighten my confused brain, if you would?


Seems like it could be an error, but it could easily be part of the deal, we have no idea how/if it's being restructured to accommodate things on OKC's end maybe they need to throw him in to make the 4 team deal work or to offload extra salary in the deal.

Hmm, nevermind I just saw that that Boston/OKC trade involving Poirier was announced as official, so he can't be part of the deal if it already processed.
Kobblehead
RealGM
Posts: 31,372
And1: 13,061
Joined: Apr 15, 2010
 

Re: Offseason Thread No. 3: Non-Linear Growth 

Post#37 » by Kobblehead » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:56 pm

the_process wrote:Jo has said he likes playing with stretch 4’s, and having one as a cheap backup certainly doesn’t hurt.

That's basically what Tobias Harris is.

I'd rather just go small for the other 18 mpg that Tobias sits. No use in having size for no reason. Especially if it hurts you defensively.
Sportfan73
Starter
Posts: 2,188
And1: 489
Joined: Jun 18, 2015
   

Re: Offseason Thread No. 3: Non-Linear Growth 

Post#38 » by Sportfan73 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:00 pm

I don’t think they care about Zaire in training camp. There’s going to be a Scott+smith deal. My only question is what asset will go with the actually acquire someone back, 2 2nds? A first and a second? Kork and a second? Matisse? Or Matisse and a first if we’re getting a high level starter(Dinwiddie pipe dream)
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
Posts: 11,053
And1: 10,651
Joined: Jan 16, 2014

Re: Offseason Thread No. 3: Non-Linear Growth 

Post#39 » by BullyKing » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:01 pm

If we had traded Tobias for Batum and Zeller, we'd have Embiid, Simmons, Curry, Thybulle, and Milton and max space next offseason.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
Posts: 8,069
And1: 1,867
Joined: Jun 28, 2002

Re: Offseason Thread No. 3: Non-Linear Growth 

Post#40 » by sixers hoops » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:03 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
the_process wrote:Jo has said he likes playing with stretch 4’s, and having one as a cheap backup certainly doesn’t hurt.

That's basically what Tobias Harris is.

I'd rather just go small for the other 18 mpg that Tobias sits. No use in having size for no reason. Especially if it hurts you defensively.


Any interest in GRIII in that role?

Return to Philadelphia 76ers