ImageImageImage

Official 2020-21 Season Thread #1: To Beard or not To Beard?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,418

Re: Official 2020-21 Season Thread #1: To Beard or not To Beard? 

Post#221 » by 76ciology » Wed Jan 6, 2021 5:13 am

Arsenal wrote:
HardenToSixers wrote:Do we think Embiid rests tomorrow?

I'm thinking no. Guessing they'll want to bank the sure win against the Wiz, then take their chances against the Nets w/out him if needed.

The regular season really starts next saturday against the Nuggets.

Unless Nets play with KD.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,808

Post#222 » by Stanford » Wed Jan 6, 2021 4:39 pm

kriss73
Analyst
And1: 1,811

Post#223 » by kriss73 » Wed Jan 6, 2021 5:36 pm

It's almost time to give the Nets a second round pick and bring Shamet back home to thrive in the Doc's DHO playbook.
Adam Silver wrote:"Gross incompetence is acceptable; strategic gaming of a flawed system is not."
76ciology
RealGM

Post#224 » by 76ciology » Wed Jan 6, 2021 5:51 pm

kriss73 wrote:It's almost time to give the Nets a second round pick and bring Shamet back home to thrive in the Doc's DHO playbook.

Yup. Give them Ferguson and a 2056 2nd rounder
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#225 » by 76ciology » Thu Jan 7, 2021 5:56 am

The biggest problem on our team is if Biid gets cold on offense or some team can slow him down.

Right now, he’s playing like he league’s best player while we’re up against some of the league’s worst teams so we’re not having this issue.

While we have seen how the league allows more physicality in the play-offs, specially in the post.

Embiid
Oncourt ORtg 118.8
Offcourt ORtg 95.6

No team is perfect, you can probably say the same on every team and their best offensive player.

It’s just a fair criticism that we need a better go to guy after Biid.

Right now, it’s Tobi and then sometimes it’s Shake.

Seth is feeding off whatever holes the opponent’s defense makes. Then Ben is captain of transition on both ends.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#226 » by 76ciology » Fri Jan 8, 2021 5:48 am

9 games in.

Defensively, we lead on blocks and are top 10 in steals. Biid has been stepping out more, Ben and Tobi have been rotating to the paint more.

Offensively, there are two main drivers. Transition (3rd in transition points per game) and Embiid.

Seth, Milton and Tobi (SMT) are good in running PnR on low frequency. And we take advantage of this down the stretch when game is on the line.

We have the same problem with most teams with only one superstar like Bucks and Giannis.

Starting unit relies heavy on Embiid’s halfcourt offense. If teams can slow down Embiid or if he gets cold, you’ll have to rely on SMT to run 2 man games. And it’s worse when teams would be able to limit our transition game by great offense (high % and low TOs).
Sportfan73
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,315

Post#227 » by Sportfan73 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 6:05 am

76ciology wrote:9 games in.

Defensively, we lead on blocks and are top 10 in steals. Biid has been stepping out more, Ben and Tobi have been rotating to the paint more.

Offensively, there are two main drivers. Transition (3rd in transition points per game) and Embiid.

Seth, Milton and Tobi (SMT) are good in running PnR on low frequency. And we take advantage of this down the stretch when game is on the line.

We have the same problem with most teams with only one superstar like Bucks and Giannis.

Starting unit relies heavy on Embiid’s halfcourt offense. If teams can slow down Embiid or if he gets cold, you’ll have to rely on SMT to run 2 man games. And it’s worse when teams would be able to limit our transition game by great offense (high % and low TOs).

Yes. We NEEEEED shotmaking to make Biid’s life easier. It’s so damn glaringly obvious. With shake and maxey I don’t think trading Ben for Harden is risking our entire future. I’m to the point where I think Ben, Matisse, and 2 firsts is honestly cool with me.
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,573

Post#228 » by FireMorey » Fri Jan 8, 2021 7:19 pm

I want to throw this question out to people and see if they can give me an answer. I see people say Ben Simmons has a high offensive ceiling. I just don't see it. I think people just look at his physical profile and athletic ability and assume he has a high offensive ceiling just because of those things, but the things he does on the court don't matter. Right now he's a below average offensive player.

So it had me thinking... can anyone name a player who wasn't a center, or who wasn't an old school PF type(who often played like centers) who was a truly elite player(that's subjective, so let's say top 10 player) who was below average offensively? So basically anyone you can think of who played 1-3 who had a below average offensive game, but was a top 10 NBA player.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,732

Post#229 » by Mik317 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 7:34 pm

Expecting Ben to be a top 10 player at this stage is a waste of time lol. That ship has sailed.

The push back against trading him is simply the fear that he does figure it out...but I think that also is slipping away. So what remains is his defensive value...which despite people's fetish for all things offense is still very valuable. Yes, the best scorers will score no matter what..that doesn't mean you just field a team full of sieves either.

I have said I'd probably do the Harden trade at this stage.,..if only so people could shut the **** up about it if nothing else lol. BUT I don't think it would just be Simmons for Harden. And I'd rather not leverage future picks or young talent for a guy in his 30's who can bail after two years and has alienated his teammates. Harden is an incredible scorer. Like people get on his for his foul baiting but that **** is a skill and you have to know angles and all that jazz to get it. We meme about Ben being a basketball genius but Harden is that. HOWEVA, dude is a flake, again has pissed off his teammates (TBF Westbrook and Paul aren't exactly angels themselves but both dudes want to win) and while the gain would be incredible,. losing an all world defender, future assets and youth is scary to me.

But I will say I am much closer to wanting the deal than I was at the start of the season lol.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,481

Post#230 » by elchengue20 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 9:24 pm

76ciology wrote:9 games in.

So we are basically the same team. Sure bet to be in the post-season, but a 2nd round team, maybe 1st round.

Defense is great but you can't make a deep run relying on transition in the Playoffs.Even less if your go-to scorer is a post player.

Hope we don't get blinded by the RS early success, it doesn't mean much. We're still a limited team who's not a real contender.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,080

Post#231 » by Kobblehead » Sat Jan 9, 2021 4:40 pm

At this point, I think it's apparent that Milton has to be thrust into the starting lineup and given the keys to our offense if we are to have even a shot in the playoffs.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#232 » by 76ciology » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:33 am

If Shake, Seth and Maxey can be relied to create via PnR in low volumes down the stretch and when Biid and Ben are off the floor, that allows us to have alternative option outside Biid, then we maybe able to get past second round.

It also allows us to pair Biid and Ben more. We just run a Biid centric offense when Ben is on the floor.

Need to see more sample size
76ciology
RealGM

Post#233 » by 76ciology » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:24 pm

Ok.

To Beal or not to Beal?

If we trade Ben for Beal, does that make us a championship contender?
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,982

Post#234 » by spikeslovechild » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:31 pm

76ciology wrote:Ok.

To Beal or not to Beal?

Ben and Westbrook?
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,732

Post#235 » by Mik317 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:35 pm

To Beal or not to Beal?

Harden gets memed on for his defense...but Beal is legit ass on that end lol.

He is a "safer" bet due to age and contract but if you are going to move Ben, you do it for Harden over Beal if it comes down to that choice. If Harden gets traded elsewhere you might be able to pivot to Beal.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
sixers4real
Veteran
And1: 1,893

Post#236 » by sixers4real » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:43 pm

To Beal or not to Beal?

No. Beal is nowhere close to James Harden
Sixers fan since 2001. From Russia.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#237 » by 76ciology » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:02 pm

spikeslovechild wrote:

To Beal or not to Beal?

Ben and Westbrook?

Yes. The first pair to average triple double.

Ben be like.. “you shoot..”
Westbrooks be like.. “no, you shoot”
davesilver
Junior
And1: 204

Post#238 » by davesilver » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:17 pm

Shake + Ben for Harden + Tucker

No chance Houston gets a better deal than Ben AND Shake. Would rather dish out a first or two than Shake but holding onto our picks gives us the flexibility to make a move when needed

Harden - Green - Tobias - Tucker - Embiid
Maxey - Curry - Matisse - Dwight

#1 offense and top 8 defense wins the chip.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#239 » by 76ciology » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:24 pm

Read on Twitter

Even against a weak schedule with the league’s best record we’re not top 10
6ers83
Senior
And1: 195

Post#240 » by 6ers83 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:29 pm

76ciology wrote:
    Read on Twitter

Even against a weak schedule with the league’s best record we’re not top 10

We need to get Harden - did not want to give up then Ben but he has not improved he’s got to be traded for Harden. And for those Saying Ben Simmons alone is not enough — I do not see any other teams breaking down the walls to get Harden. If Houston have been offered a great deal they would’ve taken it.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers