ImageImageImage

Official 2020-21 Season Thread #1: To Beard or not To Beard?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 45,643
And1: 14,431
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: Official 2020-21 Season Thread #1: To Beard or not To Beard? 

Post#261 » by 76ciology » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:58 am

I just hope on Maxey and Milton become more than what they are projected.

No matter what Ben does, his value on the court relies on Embiid. If Embiid continue to shoot like this, there wont be issues with Ben. But if Embiid gets slowed down or if he goes into a cold streak, you have to rely on Maxey or Milton.

From what I saw, thats our dynamic right now.
“Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there is absolutely no point.”
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
Posts: 8,311
And1: 1,984
Joined: Jun 28, 2002

Re: Official 2020-21 Season Thread #1: To Beard or not To Beard? 

Post#262 » by sixers hoops » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:55 am

Mike Scott is looking worse than last season. He is either hurt or sucks, depending on the night. Ersan would be a significant upgrade at this point.
sixers4real
Rookie
Posts: 1,054
And1: 525
Joined: Nov 27, 2015
 

Re: Official 2020-21 Season Thread #1: To Beard or not To Beard? 

Post#263 » by sixers4real » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:11 am

76ciology wrote:I just hope on Maxey and Milton become more than what they are projected.


This is THE reason why I watch Sixers games after no trade was made. I kinda know who is who in this team except for those two. High hopes.
spikeslovechild
General Manager
Posts: 9,042
And1: 4,439
Joined: Dec 16, 2013
Location: Right here waiting for you

Re: Official 2020-21 Season Thread #1: To Beard or not To Beard? 

Post#264 » by spikeslovechild » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:40 am

I thought the Pacers won the trade handily before I read recent reports. Why on earth would they still trade for Levert?
User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 45,643
And1: 14,431
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: Official 2020-21 Season Thread #1: To Beard or not To Beard? 

Post#265 » by 76ciology » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:48 am

sixers4real wrote:
76ciology wrote:I just hope on Maxey and Milton become more than what they are projected.


This is THE reason why I watch Sixers games after no trade was made. I kinda know who is who in this team except for those two. High hopes.


Same.

My mindset now is embracing being the underdog, playing moreyball.

Find a way to beat the Nets with a less talented roster.

People like to compare us to the 2017-2018 Sixers.

No.

We’re gonna be that less talented 2017-2018 Celtics with Rozier and all those scrubs suddenly hitting 3s. Then I want the more talented Nets to be us.

8-)
“Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there is absolutely no point.”
User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 45,643
And1: 14,431
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: Official 2020-21 Season Thread #1: To Beard or not To Beard? 

Post#266 » by 76ciology » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:10 am

Give me a wing who’s NOT a scorer that you can just give the ball and run the offense.

Running an offense as a wing itself is already a challenge.

You let a wing run high volume of pick and rolls, you will end up with a lot of pull up jumpers. Look at the Clips running the PnR with Paul George and Kawhi.

Ben is not that. Ben does not have a pull up jumper. What he has is the “pull up kick out pass” :lol:. It’s just not an efficient way to run the offense.

What’s the difference between a wing and a guard running the offense? LENGTH.

If you run a 2 man game with a guard, the guard defender wont be able to make up once he’s behind. Which is not the case when you are up against wings with near 7’ wingspans. So this limits your ability to just keep driving to the rim, specially if you dont have a respectable jumper!

Why is Biid and Ben duo have a good NetRtg, which most tries to justify why they fit?

Because when Biid and Ben are on the floor, the offense revolves around Biid. And on those times it’s not, you can just dump the ball to Biid when your dribble drives are denied.

Given you have Maxey, Milton, Biid and maybe Tobi or Seth (MMBTS), you should let Ben just be a roll man or at the dunker spot. Let MMBTS be the primary guys to run the offense on halfcourt.

“But you wont maximize Ben’s ballhandling”

You then let Ben have the greenlight to do whatever he wants on transition, where he’s one of the league’s best transition player.

If you’re going to win this thing with less talent, then you have to play this game the right way.

WE NEED A 2ND STAR. Your best chance now is to “fake it” or really hope for it, with letting Maxey and Milton have a bigger role on offense.
“Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there is absolutely no point.”
M2J
Senior
Posts: 694
And1: 279
Joined: Sep 04, 2012

Re: Official 2020-21 Season Thread #1: To Beard or not To Beard? 

Post#267 » by M2J » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:02 am

76ciology wrote:Give me a wing who’s NOT a scorer that you can just give the ball and run the offense.

Running an offense as a wing itself is already a challenge.

You let a wing run high volume of pick and rolls, you will end up with a lot of pull up jumpers. Look at the Clips running the PnR with Paul George and Kawhi.

Ben is not that. Ben does not have a pull up jumper. What he has is the “pull up kick out pass” :lol:. It’s just not an efficient way to run the offense.

What’s the difference between a wing and a guard running the offense? LENGTH.

If you run a 2 man game with a guard, the guard defender wont be able to make up once he’s behind. Which is not the case when you are up against wings with near 7’ wingspans. So this limits your ability to just keep driving to the rim, specially if you dont have a respectable jumper!

Why is Biid and Ben duo have a good NetRtg, which most tries to justify why they fit?

Because when Biid and Ben are on the floor, the offense revolves around Biid. And on those times it’s not, you can just dump the ball to Biid when your dribble drives are denied.

Given you have Maxey, Milton, Biid and maybe Tobi or Seth (MMBTS), you should let Ben just be a roll man or at the dunker spot. Let MMBTS be the primary guys to run the offense on halfcourt.

“But you wont maximize Ben’s ballhandling”

You then let Ben have the greenlight to do whatever he wants on transition, where he’s one of the league’s best transition player.

If you’re going to win this thing with less talent, then you have to play this game the right way.

WE NEED A 2ND STAR. Your best chance now is to “fake it” or really hope for it, with letting Maxey and Milton have a bigger role on offense.



Ben may run some late pick and roll, but by and large it's early in the clock as he typically handles in the half court for early offense for himself or teammates. Then it goes to Joel, 2nd option ball to rotations to perimeter from Joel where they can shoot or drive into the gaps, then some Seth pick and roll or screen for Tobias or back to Joel.

I think they're generally handling that well, except there should be Shake in there with the pick and roll. So yes "fake it ". Of course, when Joel is out, then yes Shake needs to run the show in the half court, and post Ben more as he can draw a double.

Joel is capable of closing with his face up game. Between Seth, Tobi, Shake, Ben,Maxey and the other finishers.... There's enough scoring on this team or should be. Maxey, Shake, Seth present a cheap 3 headed monster at the guard position that can score and create.

I keep seeing people say the team needs a back up pf and another center (though these positions could be useful)... That should be Ben when he's not with the starters. I like him leaving and coming in with Shake, Thybulle, Maxey and Dwight (Ben at pf). Then play him more at center when Joel misses every other road game like they did tonight. This way you get the most out of the guards. Of course let Ben play his game still.

The areas where this team can improve is if they can use the trade exception for something useful, trading Green for an upgraded green, or Tobias (unlikely).
kriss73
Veteran
Posts: 2,575
And1: 1,413
Joined: Jul 25, 2015
       

Re: Official 2020-21 Season Thread #1: To Beard or not To Beard? 

Post#268 » by kriss73 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:47 pm

No word about the Harden trade by Morey?
Did you guys read or hear anything from his side? He's schedule to speak in the next days?
Adam Silver wrote:"Gross incompetence is acceptable; strategic gaming of a flawed system is not."
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 45,774
And1: 10,022
Joined: Feb 07, 2005
Location: Parts Unknown
   

Re: Official 2020-21 Season Thread #1: To Beard or not To Beard? 

Post#269 » by Stanford » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:54 pm

kriss73 wrote:No word about the Harden trade by Morey?
Did you guys read or hear anything from his side? He's schedule to speak in the next days?


Is he even allowed to talk about it?
Image
ankle420breaker
General Manager
Posts: 8,303
And1: 1,421
Joined: Sep 21, 2005
Location: South Jersey

Re: Official 2020-21 Season Thread #1: To Beard or not To Beard? 

Post#270 » by ankle420breaker » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:59 pm

sixers hoops wrote:Mike Scott is looking worse than last season. He is either hurt or sucks, depending on the night. Ersan would be a significant upgrade at this point.
He just isn't good. I'd be surprised if he still had a job in the league right now if it weren't for EB outbidding himself and gifting him that two year deal.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
kriss73
Veteran
Posts: 2,575
And1: 1,413
Joined: Jul 25, 2015
       

Re: Official 2020-21 Season Thread #1: To Beard or not To Beard? 

Post#271 » by kriss73 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:59 pm

Stanford wrote:
kriss73 wrote:No word about the Harden trade by Morey?
Did you guys read or hear anything from his side? He's schedule to speak in the next days?


Is he even allowed to talk about it?


Good question. I dont' know. Maybe not
Adam Silver wrote:"Gross incompetence is acceptable; strategic gaming of a flawed system is not."
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 45,774
And1: 10,022
Joined: Feb 07, 2005
Location: Parts Unknown
   

Re: Official 2020-21 Season Thread #1: To Beard or not To Beard? 

Post#272 » by Stanford » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:02 pm

ankle420breaker wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:Mike Scott is looking worse than last season. He is either hurt or sucks, depending on the night. Ersan would be a significant upgrade at this point.
He just isn't good. I'd be surprised if he still had a job in the league right now if it weren't for EB outbidding himself and gifting him that two year deal.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app


Scott is a nice little contract we can throw into trades. I'm sure Morey appreciates that it's available.
Image
ankle420breaker
General Manager
Posts: 8,303
And1: 1,421
Joined: Sep 21, 2005
Location: South Jersey

Re: Official 2020-21 Season Thread #1: To Beard or not To Beard? 

Post#273 » by ankle420breaker » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:05 pm

Can't wait to see how far Morey can throw that contract.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
Posts: 8,311
And1: 1,984
Joined: Jun 28, 2002

Re: Official 2020-21 Season Thread #1: To Beard or not To Beard? 

Post#274 » by sixers hoops » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:06 pm

Stanford wrote:
ankle420breaker wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:Mike Scott is looking worse than last season. He is either hurt or sucks, depending on the night. Ersan would be a significant upgrade at this point.
He just isn't good. I'd be surprised if he still had a job in the league right now if it weren't for EB outbidding himself and gifting him that two year deal.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app


Scott is a nice little contract we can throw into trades. I'm sure Morey appreciates that it's available.


Let’s do it so we can move on. We might be able to find someone better to fill that role.
User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 45,643
And1: 14,431
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: Official 2020-21 Season Thread #1: To Beard or not To Beard? 

Post#275 » by 76ciology » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:11 pm

We have better options on halfcourt offense.
STOP LETTING BEN RUN OUR HALFCOURT OFFENSE.

Read on Twitter
“Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there is absolutely no point.”
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
Posts: 8,311
And1: 1,984
Joined: Jun 28, 2002

Re: Official 2020-21 Season Thread #1: To Beard or not To Beard? 

Post#276 » by sixers hoops » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:16 pm

kriss73 wrote:
Stanford wrote:
kriss73 wrote:No word about the Harden trade by Morey?
Did you guys read or hear anything from his side? He's schedule to speak in the next days?


Is he even allowed to talk about it?


Good question. I dont' know. Maybe not


Were you thinking he would have a press conference to discuss his trade offer? Teams don’t generally discuss trade talks, particularly trade talks for a trade that didn’t happen. Danny Ainge said the price was too high or something, but I don’t think any GM would discuss their specific offer, so there really wouldn’t be much to say.

Reportedly Ben and Thybulle are aware that they were part of offers deep in trade talks, but I don’t see Morey discussing that publicly. In addition, if he discussed failed trade offers in public, I’m not so sure other teams would be as willing to do business with him. Certainly can’t help.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
Posts: 8,303
And1: 1,421
Joined: Sep 21, 2005
Location: South Jersey

Re: Official 2020-21 Season Thread #1: To Beard or not To Beard? 

Post#277 » by ankle420breaker » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:21 pm

sixers hoops wrote:
Stanford wrote:
ankle420breaker wrote:He just isn't good. I'd be surprised if he still had a job in the league right now if it weren't for EB outbidding himself and gifting him that two year deal.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app


Scott is a nice little contract we can throw into trades. I'm sure Morey appreciates that it's available.


Let’s do it so we can move on. We might be able to find someone better to fill that role.
Until then I'd just prefer to diversify Ben and slide him to play more backup PF when Tobias rests and use Scott's minutes to expand roles for Maxey, Shake, and Thybulle.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
Posts: 8,311
And1: 1,984
Joined: Jun 28, 2002

Re: Official 2020-21 Season Thread #1: To Beard or not To Beard? 

Post#278 » by sixers hoops » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:44 pm

76ciology wrote:We have better options on halfcourt offense.
STOP LETTING BEN RUN OUR HALFCOURT OFFENSE.

Read on Twitter


I agree, but the short term answer is to keep doing what we are doing. If this were still Brett doing the same failed concepts, I would be dumbfounded. However, I find Ben being 0-4 from three in his last four games encouraging. I think with each missed shot, the anxiety of missing a shot lessens (although the airball didn’t help.) if he keeps shooting one three a game, I think it’s a gateway to slowly start improving his perimeter game.

While it is not necessarily making me believe he should be our point guard, it makes me believe Doc has an impact on these players, and I am willing to give him some time to mold the team. If he believes in Ben, then I’m okay seeing what Doc can do.

Our options are to move Shake to start at point, start Maxey at point, make a trade, or let Doc keep doing what he thinks is best. Doc has only had the team for five or six weeks, so while I’ve seen way too much of Ben being ineffective in the halfcourt, I’m okay with patience in this spot.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
Posts: 8,311
And1: 1,984
Joined: Jun 28, 2002

Re: Official 2020-21 Season Thread #1: To Beard or not To Beard? 

Post#279 » by sixers hoops » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:47 pm

ankle420breaker wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:
Stanford wrote:
Scott is a nice little contract we can throw into trades. I'm sure Morey appreciates that it's available.


Let’s do it so we can move on. We might be able to find someone better to fill that role.
Until then I'd just prefer to diversify Ben and slide him to play more backup PF when Tobias rests and use Scott's minutes to expand roles for Maxey, Shake, and Thybulle.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app


Scott is usually injured anyway, so that plan is likely.

However, I think most of the board agrees that Ersan was one of the best complements at four that Jo has ever played with. I’m sure he would be worth a shot as our backup four.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
Posts: 8,303
And1: 1,421
Joined: Sep 21, 2005
Location: South Jersey

Re: Official 2020-21 Season Thread #1: To Beard or not To Beard? 

Post#280 » by ankle420breaker » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:54 pm

sixers hoops wrote:
ankle420breaker wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:
Let’s do it so we can move on. We might be able to find someone better to fill that role.
Until then I'd just prefer to diversify Ben and slide him to play more backup PF when Tobias rests and use Scott's minutes to expand roles for Maxey, Shake, and Thybulle.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app


Scott is usually injured anyway, so that plan is likely.

However, I think most of the board agrees that Ersan was one of the best complements at four that Jo has ever played with. I’m sure he would be worth a shot as our backup four.
Preaching to the choir. Ersan makes us a better team immediately.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app

Return to Philadelphia 76ers