ImageImageImage

Official 2020-21 Season Thread #1: To Beard or not To Beard?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,484

Re: Official 2020-21 Season Thread #1: To Beard or not To Beard? 

Post#401 » by elchengue20 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:58 pm

Yeah, that short PnR worked well last night.

Hope they can figure out a way to make it work consistently. It would be huge for us.

Still it is a little bit ankward and also reduces spacing while no creating two 3 point threats.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,158

Post#402 » by M2J » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:53 am

elchengue20 wrote:Yeah, that short PnR worked well last night.

Hope they can figure out a way to make it work consistently. It would be huge for us.

Still it is a little bit ankward and also reduces spacing while no creating two 3 point threats.

It'll work consistently if Ben hits the shots in the lane. Earlier in the season he was missing everything.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,014

Post#403 » by eyeatoma » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:25 pm

Negrodamus wrote:I'm curious what the Ben/Lowry relationship is like after these two events:

Saw BC in the 2nd clip. I blame it all on him. It doesn't count.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,422

Post#404 » by 76ciology » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:14 am

Read on Twitter
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#405 » by 76ciology » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:26 am

I hope the last two games against the Blazers and Suns, shows you what Im talking about.

Most games great offense beats great defense. And to win playoff series, you need to win most games. And against good teams it all comes down to clutch moments (margin not more than 6pts with 12-13 mins left in the game).

And if Ben can slow down a scorer, most teams have other options (Melo). And if a guy have a hard time scoring 1v1, he’ll pull up off a 2 man game (CP3).

Biid dominated both games. He faced weak defenders like Kanter, Ayton and Saric.

It’s not our guys fault. Its just the nature of the game.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,312

Post#406 » by DCasey91 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:50 pm

CP3 would be godly with us. Fact is this team hasn’t got a 1 or 2 option on the outside in this day and age you probably need two. But for this team it’s utterly important because Embiid is a center.

Davis had monster stats in the playoffs (because he is one) before becoming a laker but he didn’t get very far. Same with Embiid last year.

Centers weak spot is not themselves but always having an outside threat/ playmaker.

But the great thing is pair them together and they deliver chips/multiple championships.

The GSW system only works because that system has not one but two GOAT gravity players and shooters and a GOAT lvl scorer. We are not even close to them in fact more the opposite.

Our system ideally should very old school, cut and dry because we have a very old school duo (not just Embiid, Simmons as well).

We are one legit pg and one legit sg away from blowing the league wide open because no one wants to guard Embiid 1v1. He’s a nightmare matchup.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,714

Post#407 » by phillynative » Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:05 pm

76ciology wrote:I hope the last two games against the Blazers and Suns, shows you what Im talking about.

Most games great offense beats great defense. And to win playoff series, you need to win most games. And against good teams it all comes down to clutch moments (margin not more than 6pts with 12-13 mins left in the game).

And if Ben can slow down a scorer, most teams have other options (Melo). And if a guy have a hard time scoring 1v1, he’ll pull up off a 2 man game (CP3).

Biid dominated both games. He faced weak defenders like Kanter, Ayton and Saric.

It’s not our guys fault. Its just the nature of the game.

The Blazers and Suns are both deeper teams with great to elite peremiter players. Peremiter play and depth are currently this teams weakness.

Luckily we have Morrey I believe he knows we will eventualy need shot creators in order to really contend and the team will have to be rounded out with players that can contribute.

This is also why you dont pay 3 players that are not peremeter threats max money.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#408 » by 76ciology » Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:06 pm

DCasey91 wrote:CP3 would be godly with us. Fact is this team hasn’t got a 1 or 2 option on the outside in this day and age you probably need two. But for this team it’s utterly important because Embiid is a center.

Davis had monster stats in the playoffs (because he is one) before becoming a laker but he didn’t get very far. Same with Embiid last year.

Centers weak spot is not themselves but always having an outside threat/ playmaker.

But the great thing is pair them together and they deliver chips/multiple championships.

The GSW system only works because that system has not one but two GOAT gravity players and shooters and a GOAT lvl scorer. We are not even close to them in fact more the opposite.

Our system ideally should very old school, cut and dry because we have a very old school duo (not just Embiid, Simmons as well).

We are one legit pg and one legit sg away from blowing the league wide open because no one wants to guard Embiid 1v1. He’s a nightmare matchup.

Its not we’re faltering because Embiid is a center or a big carrying a team like Anthony Davis.

It’s just opponents can just be like.. “let embiid get his numbers, who cares about the rest”.

It’s more because you need A LOT of offensive firepower to keep up. Once you reach that level, then you can start discussing about the magic of defense.

Let’s not fall into the trap of those mediocre teams believing defense will carry us.

Sure Lakers won the championship last year because of their defense. But they had TWO SUPERSTARS. There were a lot of nights when AD and LeBron both carries their team with Kyle Kuzma as their third best scorer.

You put together two superstar first or atleast 2 top tier scorers, then you start talking about defense and how to run the team.

Right now, this team was like when LeBron had to play with Antawn Jamison and Mo Williams. It’s a good to great regular season team but good to great playoff teams will beat us in the playoffs.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,081

Post#409 » by Kobblehead » Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:46 pm

The mistakes of the 2015-2019 drafts are having their effects on us now. We can fix it organically over time but it will take years of acquiring creators like we did with Maxey in this year's draft. The problem is that we have a primed and ready superstar that can win a championship right now (Embiid). So we'll have to be creative and fast-track our creator accumulation.

If the team is afraid to move Simmons, then we're not getting any star acquisitions.

We might have to focus on 10-14 ppg veterans that can create and hope to score by committee from the perimeter in conjunction with what Milton already gives us.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,654

Post#410 » by stormi » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:03 pm

They're (Morey/Harris) clearly not afraid to move Ben for a superstar, we saw his name on the block already, agents were called and all. There just aren't any superstars on the trade market right now. The teams we want to compete with have accumulated combinations of top 10 talent. We're 1/2 of the way, with a major trade chip in our bag to get that second one whenever they inevitably become available.
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant
And1: 935

Post#411 » by 51X3RF4N » Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:45 pm

I need a fl311 update so bad.

What is the FO thinking about this trade deadline? Will they wait all the way up the the end to make a deal? Will Danny Green be kept or will his salary be used to bring in a longer term contract player??

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
HardenToSixers
Rookie
And1: 646

Post#412 » by HardenToSixers » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:41 pm

51X3RF4N wrote:I need a fl311 update so bad.

What is the FO thinking about this trade deadline? Will they wait all the way up the the end to make a deal? Will Danny Green be kept or will his salary be used to bring in a longer term contract player??

he literally said that the second Simmons was on the table the deal would be done. he lost his touch. he is not in the loop since Morey was hired.
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant

Post#413 » by 51X3RF4N » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:56 pm

HardenToSixers wrote:

he literally said that the second Simmons was on the table the deal would be done. he lost his touch. he is not in the loop since Morey was hired.
Nah, disagree. You can't fault him for his sources saying a deal would be done especially when agents were being notified literally minutes after he posted that he would be surprised if a deal didn't get done.

Houston had an agenda and took a different offer. Sorry about your username but that doesn't change how I feel about fl311 sources.

Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
HardenToSixers
Rookie

Post#414 » by HardenToSixers » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:03 pm

51X3RF4N wrote:
HardenToSixers wrote:

Nah, disagree. You can't fault him for his sources saying a deal would be done especially when agents were being notified literally minutes after he posted that he would be surprised if a deal didn't get done.

Houston had an agenda and took a different offer. Sorry about your username but that doesn't change how I feel about fl311 sources.

I don't really understand what you're saying but I think there's a difference between getting a scoop right before it is announced and having a pulse of what the GM is thinking and the direction we may be heading in. He used to know the moves we were pursuing ahead of time. Since Morey was hired, he was wrong about the Simmons situation, so I am skeptical that he has a credible idea anymore
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant

Post#415 » by 51X3RF4N » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:03 pm

HardenToSixers wrote:
51X3RF4N wrote:
HardenToSixers wrote:he literally said that the second Simmons was on the table the deal would be done. he lost his touch. he is not in the loop since Morey was hired.

I don't really understand what you're saying but I think there's a difference between getting a scoop right before it is announced and having a pulse of what the GM is thinking and the direction we may be heading in. He used to know the moves we were pursuing ahead of time. Since Morey was hired, he was wrong about the Simmons situation, so I am skeptical that he has a credible idea anymore
How was he wrong about the Simmons situation? As soon as Simmons was officially on the table, fl311 told us to expect it to be a done deal, pending Houstons decision.

Houston decided to do a deal with BKN.

fl311 absolutely had that whole situation scooped out the entire time.

Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
HardenToSixers
Rookie

Post#416 » by HardenToSixers » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:14 pm

51X3RF4N wrote:
HardenToSixers wrote:
51X3RF4N wrote:Nah, disagree. You can't fault him for his sources saying a deal would be done especially when agents were being notified literally minutes after he posted that he would be surprised if a deal didn't get done.

How was he wrong about the Simmons situation? As soon as Simmons was officially on the table, fl311 told us to expect it to be a done deal, pending Houstons decision.

In the end we were willing to put Simmons on the table in addition to multiple other things. We got held up at how many multiple other things (and the Fertitta relationship).

If "the deal would have been done if Simmons was on the table" for months like he claimed, then we would have offered Simmons and completed the deal much earlier in the process considering we were willing to put more value than that offer on the table in the end.

The assessment was wrong. There was no pulse on the situation.
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant

Post#417 » by 51X3RF4N » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:17 pm

HardenToSixers wrote:
51X3RF4N wrote:
HardenToSixers wrote:I don't really understand what you're saying but I think there's a difference between getting a scoop right before it is announced and having a pulse of what the GM is thinking and the direction we may be heading in. He used to know the moves we were pursuing ahead of time. Since Morey was hired, he was wrong about the Simmons situation, so I am skeptical that he has a credible idea anymore

In the end we were willing to put Simmons on the table in addition to multiple other things. We got held up at how many multiple other things (and the Fertitta relationship).

If "the deal would have been done if Simmons was on the table" for months like he claimed, then we would have offered Simmons and completed the deal much earlier in the process considering we were willing to put more value than that offer on the table in the end.

That is simply not an accurate assessment.

Simmons was only put on the table in the end because Morey decided to put him there. Morey was obviously playing the long game waiting for Harden's value to drop more. Morey also said to the press they were absolutely not trading Ben Simmons, and then turned around and put Ben on the table.

How was fl311 wrong about it again? The minute Ben was put on the table, agents were being notified that a deal was likely...which is exactly what he said would happen.

Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
HardenToSixers
Rookie

Post#418 » by HardenToSixers » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:26 pm

51X3RF4N wrote:
HardenToSixers wrote:
51X3RF4N wrote:How was he wrong about the Simmons situation? As soon as Simmons was officially on the table, fl311 told us to expect it to be a done deal, pending Houstons decision.

Simmons was only put on the table in the end because Morey decided to put him there. Morey was obviously playing the long game waiting for Harden's value to drop more. Morey also said to the press they were absolutely not trading Ben Simmons, and then turned around and put Ben on the table.

How was fl311 wrong about it again? The minute Ben was put on the table, agents were being notified that a deal was likely...which is exactly what he said would happen.

if you want to believe that we could have completed Simmons for Harden back in November/December but "Morey was waiting for Harden's value to go down," but then we weren't able to complete Harden for Simmons++ in January then I'm not really sure what to tell you.

I don't really particularly care either way, you're welcome to ask his opinion. I just personally don't think he has a finger on the pulse since Morey was hired. I'm happy to be proven wrong.
jotachase
Freshman
And1: 96

Post#419 » by jotachase » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:37 pm

HardenToSixers wrote:I don't really particularly care either way.

:lol:
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant

Post#420 » by 51X3RF4N » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:55 pm

HardenToSixers wrote:
51X3RF4N wrote:
HardenToSixers wrote:In the end we were willing to put Simmons on the table in addition to multiple other things. We got held up at how many multiple other things (and the Fertitta relationship).

if you want to believe that we could have completed Simmons for Harden back in November/December but "Morey was waiting for Harden's value to go down," but then we weren't able to complete Harden for Simmons++ in January then I'm not really sure what to tell you.

I don't really particularly care either way, you're welcome to ask his opinion. I just personally don't think he has a finger on the pulse since Morey was hired. I'm happy to be proven wrong.
I believe Morey wanted to see what the starters looked like together, what Ben looked like in Doc's system, what the market for Harden would shape up to be. And I believe he would have waited until the deadline before putting Ben on the table, if Houston would have allowed it to drag out that long.

I firmly believe Morey was waiting to try to get it done without including Ben, until his hand was forced by Houston telling them the deal was getting done one way or another and to put the best final offer on the table. Which at that time, Morey said let's put Ben in it and get it done. And Houston said no thanks.

I believe fl311 has legit sources and is plugged in.

I don't think Morey would start negotiating with his best chip in the deal to begin with. You save that for last and add it in only when you feel you can't win without it. That's smart. Morey is smart. I believe in smart.

If you chose to believe otherwise, I can't help you and I think we are done here.

Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?

Return to Philadelphia 76ers