ImageImageImage

G2: 12/26 Sixers at Knickerbockers 7:30 ET NBA TV

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

HardenToSixers
Rookie
And1: 648

Re: G2: 12/26 Sixers at Knickerbockers 7:30 ET NBA TV 

Post#201 » by HardenToSixers » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:51 pm

Can clearly see how much shooting was a good thing to inject into the team. The respect of the shot is what put defenders in a blender and allowed us to get into the lane and set the ball movement in motion.

Then again it was the Knicks defense.
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#202 » by Kolkmania » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:52 pm

Embiid has not looked exhausted once in the first three games, despite player significantly longer stints (perhaps he likes it better this way?). In the end, that is the biggest variable.

Maxey and Shake continue to be really good. Am really curious when defenders will force Maxey to shoot threes, these hard closeouts are guaranteed points for him.
Ferry Avenue
Starter
And1: 833

Post#203 » by Ferry Avenue » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:54 pm

M2J wrote:So quick thoughts....

Seth Curry was great tonight as a scoring option clearly. He gets his in different ways than I expected. I know some thought he could average 16+ with this role. Through 2 games he's showing that is possible. He missed 3s in game 1 and scored 12, and 3 of 6 tonight for 18pts. I guess I was foreseeing lines of 5 of 11 from 3, with a bit better ball handling as a pick and roll player. I'll take it if it's productive, but it feels like a productive struggle.

Hopefully the starting lineup starts to flow better. IMO the best stretch was in the 3rd when Bens activity on both ends led to his passing and easier buckets. The assists stat sheet didn't do him justice tonight. I think I only saw Curry get a screen from Ben once leading to a deep post touch for Joel as Ben rolled and occupied a defender. Ben had some post touches that led to really good things drawing defenders. Oddly enough 2 of those post touches led to scores for Joel (a 3 and a layup) and there has to be more screening opportunities for him and post touches.

Good game overall from players and coaches. I can definitely see the plan for offense better after game 2, and it makes sense. Execution just has to improve. Still think Shake would make it easier

That was the big difference from what was expected in this one. If you can get Curry to average even just 13 a game, as opposed to let's say 8, this is a different team.
Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,580

Post#204 » by Black Mage » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:56 pm

Arsenal wrote:Interested to see what Harden looks like coming up in the next game. He's gonna be all by himself with all the good players suspended.

Answer: A category 5 destructive force of nature on offense 40+ AND 17 assists...
Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,580

Post#205 » by Black Mage » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:09 pm

Thoughts from the game:

Embiid: Haven't seen him this agile in a year or two. He's looked really good and seems to be in legitimately good shape. I also liked that he seems to be facing up to the basket instead of always posting.

Simmons: Locked in on defense, but something seemed off with him on offense. He was uncharacteristically off-target with his passes and missed a few guys by a foot or two when they were open. Expect this was just a blip for him. Team clearly is drilling him on diving to the basket, but it's having mixed results. His awareness of when to do it and when not to is raw. When he isn't diving he does tend to wander listlessly around the paint or go stand in the corner.

Seth: Nice to see him getting his legs under him and hitting some shots. I think he'll be serviceable as he settles in.

Danny: Mixed bag. Struggled some but also had some nice recognition plays and steals.

Tobias: After the preseason and game 1 there's really nowhere to go but up at this point.

Shake: Not as impressive as Game 1, but no worries about him. So far I think he's improved defensively on the ball.

Maxey: He seemed a bit sped up on his shot compared to the last few games. He made up for it though with some nice assists including what appeared to be a tight window slingshot right to a plunging Howard.

Overall: Hard to truly evaluate because Knicks, but you could see some of the offensive concepts that Rivers wants to employ. They definitely are telling Ben to dive more to the basket. The DHO/PnR game with Embiid and our starting guards is still off, Seth doesn't squeeze around him tight enough. It could just be a hot streak, but Embiid's midrange jumper appears to have a new arc to it and it looks really nice, always feel like it could go in the way it just arc to the basket.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,195

Post#206 » by ProcessDoctor » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:23 pm

Gg. Our roster clearly fits much better than last year’s. The only rotation adjustment I’d make is Thybulle for Korkmaz. I think he’s proven to be more impactful than Kork, despite providing as much spacing. Makes me wonder if we’re just trying to pump up the trade value of Kork/Maxey?
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
Iscull
Junior
And1: 104

Post#207 » by Iscull » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:48 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:Gg. Our roster clearly fits much better than last year’s. The only rotation adjustment I’d make is Thybulle for Korkmaz. I think he’s proven to be more impactful than Kork, despite providing as much spacing. Makes me wonder if we’re just trying to pump up the trade value of Kork/Maxey?

Totally agree. I can't comprehend why Korky has gotten 20 and 18 minutes respectively the last two games.

In my opinion, he's a sieve on defense. Recognizing it's a small sample, I guess they're seeing something at practice, but I can't wait until we trade him and give more time to Maxey/Thybulle. Maybe we package with Tobi?
Kolkmania
Analyst

Post#208 » by Kolkmania » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:14 pm

Iscull wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:Gg. Our roster clearly fits much better than last year’s. The only rotation adjustment I’d make is Thybulle for Korkmaz. I think he’s proven to be more impactful than Kork, despite providing as much spacing. Makes me wonder if we’re just trying to pump up the trade value of Kork/Maxey?

Totally agree. I can't comprehend why Korky has gotten 20 and 18 minutes respectively the last two games.

In my opinion, he's a sieve on defense. Recognizing it's a small sample, I guess they're seeing something at practice, but I can't wait until we trade him and give more time to Maxey/Thybulle. Maybe we package with Tobi?

Because we need his shooting badly. Those 1-2 pick and pops for example result in wide-open threes. Nobody else on this roster (besides Curry and perhaps Joe) are comfortable of taking those shots. Rivers will not give up on certain players just because they underperform in one or two games.
Iscull
Junior
And1: 104

Post#209 » by Iscull » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:25 pm

Kolkmania wrote:
Iscull wrote:

Because we need his shooting badly. Those 1-2 pick and pops for example result in wide-open threes. Nobody else on this roster (besides Curry and perhaps Joe) are comfortable of taking those shots. Rivers will not give up on certain players just because they underperform in one or two games.

I hear you, I just straight up don't think he is a very good player. Thybulle getting those minutes is better short and long term in my opinion.
Kolkmania
Analyst

Post#210 » by Kolkmania » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:58 am

Iscull wrote:
Kolkmania wrote:
Iscull wrote:

I hear you, I just straight up don't think he is a very good player. Thybulle getting those minutes is better short and long term in my opinion.

I don't think Korkmaz is good as well. However, playing Thybulle instead of Kork will put even more pressure on the ball handlers to create something out of nothing. This will have a negative effect on the entire roster.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,562

Post#211 » by 76ciology » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:03 am

Spoiler:
Black Mage wrote:
Simmons: Locked in on defense, but something seemed off with him on offense. He was uncharacteristically off-target with his passes and missed a few guys by a foot or two when they were open. Expect this was just a blip for him. Team clearly is drilling him on diving to the basket, but it's having mixed results. His awareness of when to do it and when not to is raw. When he isn't diving he does tend to wander listlessly around the paint or go stand in the corner.

I also noticed this. I think they’d trying to get the ball quicker to the shooter this allows more time to get the shot off.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#212 » by rzzzzz » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:16 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Blake is natural scorer. Simmons is a natural ancillary player.

yeah, when you're learning to shoot from the outside, it helps when you use your dominant hand.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers