ImageImageImage

So what's the pivot? (Beal, Lavine, or smaller moves)? - Post Harden ideas and rumors

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

What is the pivot now that Harden is gone? Votes can be changed

Beal
33%
Lavine
25%
Smaller moves around the edges
42%

Total votes: 97

mithrandir17
Veteran
And1: 1,609

Re: So what's the pivot? (Beal, Lavine, or smaller moves)? - Post Harden ideas and Rumors 

Post#461 » by mithrandir17 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:59 am

sixers4real wrote:
76ciology wrote:I wouldnt mind having that much talent. And quite frankly, its not my money so I dont mind if we had like 1 billion dollars worth of salary.

Adding Beal with Biid, Ben and Tobi is possible (and i want it to happen) but it’s just not feasible from a cap perspective IMO.

That's right, but Morey always was about getting as much talent to the NBA team. That team is better then Harden + Embiid.

And from Wizards perspective, they would much rather have Milton + Thybulle + picks + swaps for then Harris + some.

Will Josh Harris be willing to pay luxury tax?

Some will say hell no, I will say he can. He hired Doc and Morey for a ton of money, I think he wants that title

I don't understand why other people say the owners will not want to pay the repeater tax. They were ready to pay for it when they offered the ridiculous contracts to Tobias and Horford. Bringing in Morey does not changes that, in fact it might be viewed as more of going all in whatever the incoming player's salary might be. Imagine being Morey and you are told that you can't go over the luxury tax.
Tomjas
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,173

Re: So what's the pivot? (Beal, Lavine, or smaller moves)? - Post Harden ideas and Rumors 

Post#462 » by Tomjas » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:48 am

mithrandir17 wrote:
sixers4real wrote:
76ciology wrote:I wouldnt mind having that much talent. And quite frankly, its not my money so I dont mind if we had like 1 billion dollars worth of salary.

Adding Beal with Biid, Ben and Tobi is possible (and i want it to happen) but it’s just not feasible from a cap perspective IMO.

That's right, but Morey always was about getting as much talent to the NBA team. That team is better then Harden + Embiid.

And from Wizards perspective, they would much rather have Milton + Thybulle + picks + swaps for then Harris + some.

Some will say hell no, I will say he can. He hired Doc and Morey for a ton of money, I think he wants that title

I don't understand why other people say the owners will not want to pay the repeater tax. They were ready to pay for it when they offered the ridiculous contracts to Tobias and Horford. Bringing in Morey does not changes that, in fact it might be viewed as more of going all in whatever the incoming player's salary might be. Imagine being Morey and you are told that you can't go over the luxury tax.

Yep

Criticise them for recruitment policy/management all you like but they’ve chucked money at the place
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,507

Post#463 » by youngcrev » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:06 pm

mithrandir17 wrote:
sixers4real wrote:

Paying the tax is one thing, the repeater is another (3x in 4 year span). They would have been able to duck that with Horford's partial guarantee in his final year.
mithrandir17
Veteran
And1: 1,609

Post#464 » by mithrandir17 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:29 pm

youngcrev wrote:
mithrandir17 wrote:
sixers4real wrote:That's right, but Morey always was about getting as much talent to the NBA team. That team is better then Harden + Embiid.

Paying the tax is one thing, the repeater is another (3x in 4 year span). They would have been able to duck that with Horford's partial guarantee in his final year.

But if Morey's move will make the team more competitive then I don't see why the ownership will veto that in favor of not paying the repeater tax. They already paid premium to our new coaches and POBO to suddenly be cheap about repeater tax just one year later. That's like buying a supercar but dont want to pay for premium gasoline.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,507

Post#465 » by youngcrev » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:24 pm

mithrandir17 wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
mithrandir17 wrote:I don't understand why other people say the owners will not want to pay the repeater tax. They were ready to pay for it when they offered the ridiculous contracts to Tobias and Horford. Bringing in Morey does not changes that, in fact it might be viewed as more of going all in whatever the incoming player's salary might be. Imagine being Morey and you are told that you can't go over the luxury tax.

But if Morey's move will make the team more competitive then I don't see why the ownership will veto that in favor of not paying the repeater tax. They already paid premium to our new coaches and POBO to suddenly be cheap about repeater tax just one year later. That's like buying a supercar but dont want to pay for premium gasoline.

I was talking specifically about the repeater tax, which won't be a factor for another 3 years.

But regardless, while they're clearly willing to pay the tax, I also don't think they're giving Morey a blank check to improve the team, particularly while dealing empty stands. They invested a ton into Morey and Doc this year... But they also saved a **** ton of money with that Horford/Green deal. If I'm reading the progressive tax correctly, that saved them around 30M this year alone. We'll see what direction they go out the deadline in terms of bottom line spending, but I think dumping Ferguson or Scott's deals are about as likely as them using the T.E. they created.

These guys aren't cheap, but they are frugal.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,924

Post#466 » by TGW » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:41 pm

You guys live in a fantasy world. Getting Beal or McCollum would cost the Sixers at least Simmons. Attaching a bunch of picks in the twenties with a couple of bench players is not going to get it done.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,524

Post#467 » by elchengue20 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:19 pm

Embiid-MVP wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:
elchengue20 wrote:
Many people in this forum is saying Shake is our main perimeter threat, the only "3 level scorer", etc.

They talk about how he has to be a starter and we need to let him handle our offense consistenly. Even a poster sayed hes better than Donovan Mitchell lol.

And at the same time they have somewhat realistic expectations about making a deep Playoff run. Im just saying i would be shocked if we are a legit contender with Shake fricking Milton as our star perimeter player.They are expecting and asking way too much from him.

A lot of people say Shake should be our primary shot creator because he is prob our best option currently on the roster. It seems like your twisting a lot of posts together to create a narrative to argue with.

That's exactly what's happening

Its actually very simple.

1) Do you believe Shake is our best perimeter player?

2) Do you believe this team has a realistic chance of contending for a championship?

If your awnser is positive in both questions, i don't understand your logic.That seems to be the case with many posters here.

My point is very clear, and just my opinion. If you don't want to understand or you disagree, that's your problem.
sixers4real
Veteran
And1: 1,954

Post#468 » by sixers4real » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:57 pm

TGW wrote:You guys live in a fantasy world. Getting Beal or McCollum would cost the Sixers at least Simmons. Attaching a bunch of picks in the twenties with a couple of bench players is not going to get it done.

Worked for Harden, who’s clearly a better player.

Milton + Thybulle + Green (can be traded for some picks to a condenser) + Korkmaz + Ferguson + 2 FRPs + 4 swaps + 1 SRP is not that bad if someone like Beal or McCollum will demand a trade
Sixers fan since 2001. From Russia.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,924

Post#469 » by TGW » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:25 am

sixers4real wrote:
TGW wrote:You guys live in a fantasy world. Getting Beal or McCollum would cost the Sixers at least Simmons. Attaching a bunch of picks in the twenties with a couple of bench players is not going to get it done.

Worked for Harden, who’s clearly a better player.

That's a lie. The Nets traded two starters (Allen and Levert) with multiple picks for Harden. And those two are better than whatever Sixers bench players you think would get you one of the best players in the league LOL.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
GutUNC
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,032

Post#470 » by GutUNC » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:55 am

You own prime real estate in that world if you think C.J. freakin' McCollum is worth Simmons.

There's more to basketball then just the jump shot.
GDTBATH
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,069

Post#471 » by sixers hoops » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:16 am

elchengue20 wrote:
Embiid-MVP wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:
A lot of people say Shake should be our primary shot creator because he is prob our best option currently on the roster. It seems like your twisting a lot of posts together to create a narrative to argue with.

That's exactly what's happening

Its actually very simple.

1) Do you believe Shake is our best perimeter player?

2) Do you believe this team has a realistic chance of contending for a championship?

If your awnser is positive in both questions, i don't understand your logic.That seems to be the case with many posters here.

My point is very clear, and just my opinion. If you don't want to understand or you disagree, that's your problem.

Again, who are the “many posters here” who think the Sixers are going to win a championship? I skim through all the threads and don’t see a strong sentiment that we are winning the championship this year.
Iverson Armband
Starter
And1: 1,606

Post#472 » by Iverson Armband » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:51 am

GutUNC wrote:

You own prime real estate in that world if you think C.J. freakin' McCollum is worth Simmons.

There's more to basketball then just the jump shot.

Lol. Portland wouldn’t do that trade anyway so don’t worry about it.
always a jump shot away.
Iverson Armband
Starter

Post#473 » by Iverson Armband » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:55 am

Ben would be pretty useless on this team with the usage Beal, Jojo and Tobias command. I would not want him bringing the ball up just to say he touched the ball nor would I want him in the corner bricking 3s.
always a jump shot away.
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,313

Post#474 » by DCasey91 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:19 am

I have this team currently constructed at a 2nd/ECF at very best (Only due to Embiid going off/extreme HCA).

People may not accept this but I don’t for any reason believe this is well constructed team for Embiid. No one can tell me otherwise. This same old problems are beginning to magnify even further.

Reason below:

1. Simmons offensive regression & not being a 2nd option no matter how you utilize him)

2. Harris is not a 2nd option nor he is a elite scorer on the outside

3. No star wing or guard to offset the offensive load

4. Embiid’s load is bigger than it’s ever been. That’s a massive risk down the line

(You can put any number of elite shooters around Ben & Embiid but it still wont work out in the end).
They’ve tried this version three different times now give it up. Butler made it work because butler is a stud.

Paul/Lowry/Dragic for the PG archetype

&

Beal/Lavine/Booker archetype for SG

Heck even Embiid/Butler

Is miles and miles >>>>>> then what we have.

Talent wins out especially if they pair well together.

Embiid/Simmons doesn’t work no matter what hypothetical role player you put on the team.
You still need a star wing/guard to make it work

Take out everyone

Embiid/Prime Lowry plus the same type of role players would go further than this team that I have no doubt.

I’d rather get the star wing/guard before I get a Simmons type let alone ever cater to that player because your always behind the 8 ball trying to get this team to be an actual contender.

A longer a flawed problem goes on the worse it gets. And you can’t cover it by exchanging complimentary pieces it just doesn’t work that w
way.

Embiid + Star wing/guard (no Simmons) is greater than
Embiid + Simmons and no star wing/guard

7 years for half a season of one of those two prototypes. A semi decent GM would have got both don’t even have to be elite. Old Lowry type and heck even Murray lvl production = ECF/finals ceiling
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,690

Post#475 » by 76ciology » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:32 am

Iverson Armband wrote:Ben would be pretty useless on this team with the usage Beal, Jojo and Tobias command. I would not want him bringing the ball up just to say he touched the ball nor would I want him in the corner bricking 3s.

Attack in transition, dunker spot and some opportunistic stuffs on halfcourt. Not that useless but decrease in role.

Not black and white, more shades of gray.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#476 » by 76ciology » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:33 am

With Biid out, you now see what I say about Milton right? He’s good but he’s not THAT good to make you be confident about this team.

Most of shake’s points are during garbage time or when the intensity of the game is at it’s weakest.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,313

Post#477 » by DCasey91 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:37 am

76ciology wrote:With Biid out, you now see what I say about Milton right? He’s good but he’s not THAT good to make you be confident about this team.

Most of shake’s points are during garbage time or when the intensity of the game is at it’s weakest.

See my above post:

7 years and counting

Without:

1. High lvl pg
2. High lvl wing/scoring guard

Heck I’ll happily take Lavine + old Lowry to go with Embiid.

Old Paul, Leonard, walker when he was a free agent, keeping butler. Hill/dragic, Conley. It’s a long list of opportunities to get one.

Embiid was elite in his rookie year with arguably the worst roster around him in NBA history and they won games lol.

Without Embiid our win % is under 50% and that was even with the streak with Simmons back years ago and late last years winning runs.

Embiid everyone else is free market imo.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#478 » by 76ciology » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:44 am

DCasey91 wrote:
76ciology wrote:With Biid out, you now see what I say about Milton right? He’s good but he’s not THAT good to make you be confident about this team.

See my above post:

7 years and counting

Without:

1. High lvl pg
2. High lvl wing/scoring guard

Heck I’ll happily take Lavine + old Lowry to go with Embiid.

Old Paul, Leonard, walker when he was a free agent, keeping butler. Hill/dragic, Conley. It’s a long list of opportunities to get one.

It’s because we thought Ben will be much better. Like a LeBron where you can just give him the ball and let him create for shooters. What happened to the.. “he leads assists to 3pt shooters stats?”

But it’s OK, we now know what we have.

Ben is STILL a good player but just not good enough.

Ben needs more help. Right now he’s just relying on Biid.

IMO we need a really good scoring combo guard like Lavine or Beal. I dont care if his scoring is low impact guy, thats why you have Ben for with his intangibles.
Iverson Armband
Starter

Post#479 » by Iverson Armband » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:35 am

76ciology wrote:
Iverson Armband wrote:Ben would be pretty useless on this team with the usage Beal, Jojo and Tobias command. I would not want him bringing the ball up just to say he touched the ball nor would I want him in the corner bricking 3s.

Attack in transition, dunker spot and some opportunistic stuffs on halfcourt. Not that useless but decrease in role.

Not black and white, more shades of gray.

Doubt he goes for that. He wants the ball in his hands to do nothing with it.
always a jump shot away.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#480 » by 76ciology » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:48 am

2nd star. Most teams that won a championship need it.

What’s the definition?

A player who made the allstar team that fits with the team’s best player or a bonafide star who can carry the team when the team’s best player in not playing?

For the later statement or definition, we dont have that guy.

Arguments not to go after THE second star.
- “but we’re unbeatable with Embiid”
- “but Ben and Biid has +1000000 NetRtg”

Return to Philadelphia 76ers