ImageImageImage

So what's the pivot? (Beal, Lavine, or smaller moves)? - Post Harden ideas and rumors

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

What is the pivot now that Harden is gone? Votes can be changed

Beal
33%
Lavine
25%
Smaller moves around the edges
42%

Total votes: 97

HardenToSixers
Rookie
And1: 646

Re: So what's the pivot? (Beal, Lavine, or smaller moves)? - Post Harden ideas and Rumors 

Post#501 » by HardenToSixers » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:13 pm

the_process wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:
Iverson Armband wrote:And what has Ben Simmons won, exactly?

What has Embiid won exactly?
This argument doesn't make sense, basketball is a team sport, you are not going to win if the other players don't help you.
With Ben, we know the talent is there, we just need to wait for his offense to click. Now that Embiid is finally playing at MVP level and is in good shape, we only need Simmons to do the same, play at MVP level.

LOL Doesn’t it get exhausting?

no. it's the opposite. he feeds off creating negative energy and saying purposefully ridiculous controversial things.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Re: So what's the pivot? (Beal, Lavine, or smaller moves)? - Post Harden ideas and Rumors 

Post#502 » by Bum Adebayo » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:14 pm

Iverson Armband wrote:
the_process wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:
This argument doesn't make sense, basketball is a team sport, you are not going to win if the other players don't help you.
With Ben, we know the talent is there, we just need to wait for his offense to click. Now that Embiid is finally playing at MVP level and is in good shape, we only need Simmons to do the same, play at MVP level.

LOL Doesn’t it get exhausting?

What’s exhausting, is people still being hoodwinked in to thinking Ben Simmons is still a real difference maker at this stage in his career. Can’t even be a presence against a team that is 3-13. Shameful.

What? he is absolutely a difference maker, let's not kid ourselves. Yeah his offense has been a bit disappointing, but he is elite at everything else, this was proven yesterday, he was only -2 in a 15pts loss, the second best in starting lineup was -11.
Great takes since 2024-04-20
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#503 » by agiaco » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:56 pm

Any way we could bring JJ back as another shooter? Is he redundant with Seth in the lineup?
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,472

Post#504 » by youngcrev » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:21 pm

agiaco wrote:Any way we could bring JJ back as another shooter? Is he redundant with Seth in the lineup?

I think he'd be a very useful piece off the bench. Our bench scoring has sucked.
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,312

Post#505 » by DCasey91 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:27 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:
Iverson Armband wrote:
Mik317 wrote:the elephant in the room is that the team is missing exactly what they thought Fultz would be lol. A guy who can get his own shot for when Biid is off the floor but also be okay and able to take a backseat when he is on the floor. Him busting hurt a lot and the team throwing away everything after that has left us in a spot in which we don't have many avenues to fix it anymore.

You say well just trade for LaVine or Beal...that unfortunately opens up another can of worms in that neither guy has shown that they lead to winning basketball; it will require trading Ben which despite everything has shown it will hurt us (see last years playoffs for example) and probably a bunch of future picks. Now both dudes are in Embiid's age range and thus the threat of things falling off in the short term is less than Harden but then again you can't not offer the moon for Harden and then offer it for those two guys.

Team is just in a bad spot and its going to either take time or some terrible GM from some other team wanting to get fleeced lol...not exactly exciting lol. I don't deify Morey like some have but man I am glad its not Elton or Collars in charge because they would have to make a rash decision to save their jobs at this stage...and that is exactly why we are here now.

And what has Ben Simmons won, exactly?

Our record without Embiid playing is lottery level, that’s even with Simmon’s lead teams and his winning streak (16) & games Embiid missed last year.

Embiid win rate is well over 60% that’s even counting the 30 games in his rookie season playing with arguably the worst roster list in NBA history lol.

It’s Embiid or bust. I don’t think Simmons will ever be the 1/2 option on a championship team (Fine third best player but you def need an outside star).

The same problems in his rookie year is the same problems now. It’s not so much the shot. By now I’d expect him to have a floater/hook but he has neither. Learn how to sloowwwwwww down but that hasn’t happened either.
His turnover rate is the highest it’s been, the usage the lowest, & the points the lowest of his career.

But I’m looking for improvements his free throw rate and getting to the line has gotten better but other parts of his offensive game has regressed so badly.

I realized what Ben was during his 2nd season.
14/8/8/2/1 DPOY/wing/PF that’s an elite defensive matchup for all the best wings in the comp. (That’s where his real value lies to a contending team not the offense).
USWAY
Sixth Man
And1: 1,140

Post#506 » by USWAY » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:51 pm

agiaco wrote:Any way we could bring JJ back as another shooter? Is he redundant with Seth in the lineup?

JJ really looks cooked man. Dudes turning 37 this year so I don't think it's a fluke. I'd prefer Nemanja Bjelica if we can get him. Easier to hide bad defense stretch 4s than guards on the other end of the floor as well.
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,776

Post#507 » by Skates » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:23 pm

JJ and Bjelica are both playing pretty terribly this season, as would most cheaper guys in terms of assets. The trick is which one of those kinds of guys can turn it around after a trade. Really we need more creators than finishers, not that I am ever adverse to adding more shooting, but unless they are shooters than can create their own shot it is at best a nice move around the edges. helpful, but does not solve the bigger problem.
phifans
Veteran
And1: 586

Post#508 » by phifans » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:38 pm

Skates wrote:JJ and Bjelica are both playing pretty terribly this season, as would most cheaper guys in terms of assets. The trick is which one of those kinds of guys can turn it around after a trade. Really we need more creators than finishers, not that I am ever adverse to adding more shooting, but unless they are shooters than can create their own shot it is at best a nice move around the edges. helpful, but does not solve the bigger problem.

We need shooter Forward for our bench and creators for our starters.

Ben Green Scott and Thybulle/Kork need to be replaced if you want to take a step forward.
Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,580

Post#509 » by Black Mage » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:21 am

What is the infatuation with HIeld? Have you guys actually watched him play? He looks like he's stuck in mud half the time and defensively he's borderline a sieve.

Tobias right now is a much better player than Hield.

The best option we have at getting a player is Malik Beasley. He's a better shooter, more athletic and about 9 million less per year. Oh and he's only 24. He could slot right into Danny's starting SG position.
jotachase
Freshman
And1: 96

Post#510 » by jotachase » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:41 am

Morey set this man free!!!

Read on Twitter
?
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,909

Post#511 » by Wilfried » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:07 am

Damn, I didn't know Beal is only 27! (thought around 30)
It's a no-brainer to me now.
Simmons + Kork + Scott + Ferguson + Poirier + Pick 2021 ? <-> Beal + Bertans (that guy can shoot!)

Imagine Seth - Beal - Green - Bertans - Tobias - Shake - Joe surrounding Embiid (and Dwight). Crazy shooting/scoring
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,178

Post#512 » by M2J » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:58 pm

Wilfried wrote:Damn, I didn't know Beal is only 27! (thought around 30)
Simmons + Kork + Scott + Ferguson + Poirier + Pick 2021 ? <-> Beal + Bertans (that guy can shoot!)

Imagine Seth - Beal - Green - Bertans - Tobias - Shake - Joe surrounding Embiid (and Dwight). Crazy shooting/scoring

I would do it... But the defense when you make that trade goes to middle of the pack.
mithrandir17
Veteran
And1: 1,609

Post#513 » by mithrandir17 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:18 pm

M2J wrote:

I would do it... But the defense when you make that trade goes to middle of the pack.

Any trade that would send Simmons out will make our defense take a hit. It just depends if the incoming offense is enough to compensate for that.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,178

Post#514 » by M2J » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:02 pm

mithrandir17 wrote:
M2J wrote:

Any trade that would send Simmons out will make our defense take a hit. It just depends if the incoming offense is enough to compensate for that.

I don't think there's a scenario where you can trade Ben with this roster and bring in a Beale or Harden and your offense is enough to truly win a title with that defense.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Post#515 » by Bum Adebayo » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:37 pm

If you trade Simmons, it needs to be for a top5 offensive player.
Simmons is the best defender in NBA, so you need a very potent offense to offset the defense lost. While in this trash NBA offense is much more important than defense (because of Micky Mouse rules), you still need defense, especially in Playoffs.
I was ok trading Simmons for Harden, because that is top3 offense right there, but Beal is not top5 offense sorry. And I don't wanna hear about age, that **** is overrated.
Great takes since 2024-04-20
Iverson Armband
Starter
And1: 1,589

Post#516 » by Iverson Armband » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:03 pm

M2J wrote:
mithrandir17 wrote:
M2J wrote:

I don't think there's a scenario where you can trade Ben with this roster and bring in a Beale or Harden and your offense is enough to truly win a title with that defense.

Ok, then enjoy having ZERO shot and likely out in the second round again as currently constructed.
always a jump shot away.
agiaco
Analyst

Post#517 » by agiaco » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:10 pm

M2J wrote:
mithrandir17 wrote:
M2J wrote:

Well his offense is so bad that they won't win with offense either.
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant
And1: 935

Post#518 » by 51X3RF4N » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:33 pm

agiaco wrote:
M2J wrote:
mithrandir17 wrote:Any trade that would send Simmons out will make our defense take a hit. It just depends if the incoming offense is enough to compensate for that.

I think if you get a capable PoA defender back in a Simmons deal, along with an offensive powerhouse on the perimeter, you might be good enough defensively, especially if it pushes Curry to a bench role next to Milton. I posted a fantasy trade where the result was:

Simmons, Maxey and picks out
Beal, Lonzo Ball in

Embiid/Howard
Harris/Scott
Green/Thybulle
Beal/Milton
Ball/Curry

This lineup features a PG who can defend and has an improving shot (that he's willing to take), an elite perimeter scorer, and 3 current starters. Then the bench unit is actually stronger than the current one with Curry essentially replacing Maxey as a bench contributor.

Could still upgrade backup stretch 4 in another deal too.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
agiaco
Analyst

Post#519 » by agiaco » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:36 pm

51X3RF4N wrote:
agiaco wrote:
M2J wrote:

I think if you get a capable PoA defender back in a Simmons deal, along with an offensive powerhouse on the perimeter, you might be good enough defensively, especially if it pushes Curry to a bench role next to Milton. I posted a fantasy trade where the result was:

Simmons, Maxey and picks out
Beal, Lonzo Ball in

Embiid/Howard
Harris/Scott
Green/Thybulle
Beal/Milton
Ball/Curry

This lineup features a PG who can defend and has an improving shot (that he's willing to take), an elite perimeter scorer, and 3 current starters. Then the bench unit is actually stronger than the current one with Curry essentially replacing Maxey as a bench contributor.

Could still upgrade backup stretch 4 in another deal too.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app

I love it. Sixers need a guy like Beal to win a ring. Simple as that. Simmons is an elite defender but he can be replaced more easily than trying to elevate a current player to being that #2 guy. Because Tobi is a #3 option on a contender. The Sixers can still acquire another wing defender too.
kriss73
Analyst
And1: 1,811

Post#520 » by kriss73 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:55 pm

mithrandir17 wrote:
M2J wrote:

Yes, but to compensate it in a playoff game, not in a irrilevant game against the Pistons one month into the RS.
Adam Silver wrote:"Gross incompetence is acceptable; strategic gaming of a flawed system is not."

Return to Philadelphia 76ers