ImageImageImage

#14: Tyrese Shake Milton Maxeys @ Memphis, 8PM EST

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,563

Re: #14: Tyrese Shake Milton Maxeys @ Memphis, 8PM EST 

Post#321 » by 76ciology » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:11 pm

76ciology wrote:Can anyone explain to me why we should still let Ben run our halfcourt offense whenever either or both Maxey or Milton are on the floor?

I thought that Maxey should have run the offense more with the starters and he was out of place (again) with Ben.

If Doc is letting Ben run the offense, he might as well start Shake. Where Shake can play off ball. Then let Maxey run the offense of the 2nd unit.

My guess is Doc knows Maxey’s limitation. As much as he thinks he’s good, he’s still not good to run the offense on his own.

Read on Twitter

I
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,756

Post#322 » by Sixersftw » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:48 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
Sixersftw wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:I think the only explanation is Doc wants him to win 6MotY.

I think Rivers has always structured his teams with very strong sixth mean. House, Posey, Crawford, Williams and now Shake. He loves having that changeup off the bench and he still closes with Shake which I think is much more important than starting.

I get that, and I’d understand if it were Maxey being the 6th man, but Shake should be essentially our Paul George to Embiid’s Kawhi. He’s too good of a scorer and fit with Embiid to be running the second unit.

I agree but the Ben Simmons of it all complicates everything. If we elevate Shake's role and usage to what it should be that leaves Ben fairly useless. We've fallen into this strange place where 2 players, who are better offensively than BS and have some modicum of star potential, fell into our laps and we need to reshape the roster to acknowledge that.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,866

Post#323 » by Stanford » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:53 pm

Bodner made the point on a podcast released today that Shake is best coming off the bench because otherwise there would be no one that can run the offense on the bench units.

THERE IS CURRENTLY NO ONE THAT CAN RUN THE OFFENSE ON THE STARTING UNIT
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,756

Post#324 » by Sixersftw » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:00 pm

Stanford wrote:Bodner made the point on a podcast released today that Shake is best coming off the bench because otherwise there would be no one that can run the offense on the bench units.

THERE IS CURRENTLY NO ONE THAT CAN RUN THE OFFENSE ON THE STARTING UNIT

I haven't listened yet but I think Maxey can absolutely run the offense off the bench. The only time I thought of Maxey as being incapable of running the offense, ironically, was with Embiid on the floor when we were shorthanded.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,546

Post#325 » by SixthStreet » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:07 pm

I listed to the podcast and Bodner is wrong. We only have two players capable of running halfcourt offense on this team in Milton and Maxey.

Simmons can run Doc's sets, but that does not mean he is running good offense. There is a distinction the beat writers don't understand.
Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,580

Post#326 » by Black Mage » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:28 pm

Stanford wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:as we saw with Brett having to pack the bags.

And that changed so much

To be fair, Rivers said he wasn't able to implement his full scheme because of the abbreviated off-season and that he's tapped into Brett's book b/c the players were familiar with it.

We probably won't see the difference between the two until next season.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,563

Post#327 » by 76ciology » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:33 pm

SixthStreet wrote:I listed to the podcast and Bodner is wrong. We only have two players capable of running halfcourt offense on this team in Milton and Maxey.

Simmons can run Doc's sets, but that does not mean he is running good offense. There is a distinction the beat writers don't understand.

Our offense will be better even if we just let Tobi run PnR on every possession than ben doing his Harlem globetrotter stuff.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Black Mage
Lead Assistant

Post#328 » by Black Mage » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:33 pm

Stanford wrote:Here you go, Tyrese: have a shot at winning this with .7 seconds left. I'm a nice guy!

But if he made it the Pro-Benners would be "see he creates the most made 3's in the league!"
Black Mage
Lead Assistant

Post#329 » by Black Mage » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:36 pm

Ellington wrote:Simmons connected on 5-7 free throws which is a really good sign, also took 2 threes and hit a jump shot. Need to not worry so much about the wins just now and about developing Simmons to be the player we all know he can be offensively.

Are you Ben Simmons' publicist or PR person? Cause that's the only explanation I can come up with for every delusional take you give.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#330 » by rzzzzz » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:17 pm

Black Mage wrote:
Stanford wrote:Here you go, Tyrese: have a shot at winning this with .7 seconds left. I'm a nice guy!

But if he made it the Pro-Benners would be "see he creates the most made 3's in the league!"

The other forum is running a thread asking if Ben has the “yips”. And the answer has to yes. Last night displayed what we all know. He’s supposed to be our #1 pg, time is running out and he’s waited too long to pass it. He’s got to take that shot. But he’s phobic. Just like every time he drives it right up to the rim, stops, and tosses it back out, at best, or over to somebody whose double teamed. Dress it up anyway you like, but it comes down to fear.
6ers83
Senior
And1: 195

Post#331 » by 6ers83 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:24 pm

rzzzzz wrote:
Black Mage wrote:

The other forum is running a thread asking if Ben has the “yips”. And the answer has to yes. Last night displayed what we all know. He’s supposed to be our #1 pg, time is running out and he’s waited too long to pass it. He’s got to take that shot. But he’s phobic. Just like every time he drives it right up to the rim, stops, and tosses it back out, at best, or over to somebody whose double teamed. Dress it up anyway you like, but it comes down to fear.

Bingo! That’s why he doesn’t go hard to the rack he wants to flip up some soft **** so he doesn’t have to go to line.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,837

Post#332 » by Negrodamus » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:27 pm

Funny enough, I think Ben's role should be similar to a guy they played last night: Kyle Anderson. Great defensive role player who grabs rebounds and pushes fast breaks. Not a good shooter, but willing to take them.

Unfortunately, I believe we've crossed the rubicon with Ben and he won't accept anything other than starting point guard for this team.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,754

Post#333 » by phillynative » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:15 pm

Negrodamus wrote:Funny enough, I think Ben's role should be similar to a guy they played last night: Kyle Anderson. Great defensive role player who grabs rebounds and pushes fast breaks. Not a good shooter, but willing to take them.

Unfortunately, I believe we've crossed the rubicon with Ben and he won't accept anything other than starting point guard for this team.

Thats because Ben is a point forward or playmaking forward exactly what Kyle Anderson is.
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,312

Post#334 » by DCasey91 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:39 pm

Arsenal wrote:
DCasey91 wrote:
Spoiler:
u
76ciology wrote:Last 4 mins, shake didnt score. It shows you his limitation.

Down the road it may cause troubles as it can cap the teams absolute ceiling. It’s too early to tell with me but a CJ McCollum type might be is best case scenario.

Do you offset that and go far a more proven scorer right now in (Lavine)? whose timelines match up really well once again with Embiid/Simmons.

I’m not losing out hope that Simmons can be the 3rd best player overall (not on offense obv) on a championship team.

But realistically it def looks like this team needs a guy who can be 3 level scorer when Embiid gets blanketed in the playoffs.

Are their options out there good enough though?

If there was a chance to trade for beal and go for an old fashioned 1/2 punch and work around the rest of pieces in due time.

Like say a

Lowry
Beal
Green
Harris
Embiid

Then try and keep that core moving forward.
Might be the best bet to fully max out this team’s ceiling.

McCollum is putting up crazy high scoring numbers so far this season (37pp100), which I bet will come down to earth. If you compare Shake this season to McCollum before this year, Shake's numbers per 100 are better.

So I have no doubt Shake is going to at least become a bigger C.J. McCollum. The only thing holding him back right now is lack of usage that so called stars get.

Yeah that’s my hope as well with Milton im high on both Maxey/Milton. The problem though is there’s one ball and for me in a half court setting it should be one of those two bringing the ball up.
When Embiid sits utilize Ben in the corner post it does two things there.

1. Cuts out the silly drive jump and kick which should have been gone from his game since his rookie year. You can drive and kick but please don’t jump.

2. Ben’s actually very good at (he has great passing skills) at finding cutters/perimeter shooters from the post. I reckon it’ll cut down his turnover rate because he won’t be rushing into the paint as much. Maybe on the fast break , pass to corner shooters/ out out to a ball handler readjust in the post and then work from there.

But yes your right with usage Milton’s a 20+ ppg scorer right now. And when Embiid is out the offense should revolve around him/Maxey/Harris and no one else. Curry as well as a secondary ball handler but Milton should be the number 1 scoring option.
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,546

Post#335 » by SixthStreet » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:06 pm

He’s not a point forward either. He’s a transition ball handler and when not in transition a big. Once someone hammers that into his mindset you’ll get a player worthy of his contract.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers