76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,517

Re: G17: Sixers @ Pistons 8:00pm ET 01/23/21 

Post#221 » by 76ciology » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:16 am

eyeatoma wrote:
76ciology wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
Why do you think? We absolutely suck without him. He makes us a contender and we need him to win lol. I can see why they rest him, but he went unscathed in this game, so should be good to go for the upcoming week.

I think it’s because he’ll sit out the next game to be fresh for that lakers game? Not sure
He was a game time decision. Don't think so. I think they're being honest and not load managing.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Oh.. yes i can see that. And in general, biid wont be sitting much because he’s going hard for that MVP trophy
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,033

Post#222 » by ivysixer2000 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:43 am

76ciology wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
76ciology wrote:
I think it’s because he’ll sit out the next game to be fresh for that lakers game? Not sure
He was a game time decision. Don't think so. I think they're being honest and not load managing.

Oh.. yes i can see that. And in general, biid wont be sitting much because he’s going hard for that MVP trophy

Or it might be as simple as wins and losses.

Every game he has missed this year we lost, coincidence?? I think not. This year, seeding won't matter as much with COVID, but it would be nice to have some cushion at the end so we can sit people before the playoffs.....something we haven't had in a while.
Kova
Veteran
And1: 711

Post#223 » by Kova » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:21 am

Nice win. You knew Detroit would play hard, regardless of their roster. That was an easy game to lose, and you could see moments of concentration dropping.

Most impressed with Harris again. Every bucket was right when we needed it. Our bench was quiet, but our 3 top guys pulled us through.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#224 » by 76ciology » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:02 am

ivysixer2000 wrote:
76ciology wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:He was a game time decision. Don't think so. I think they're being honest and not load managing.

Every game he has missed this year we lost, coincidence?? I think not. This year, seeding won't matter as much with COVID, but it would be nice to have some cushion at the end so we can sit people before the playoffs.....something we haven't had in a while.

The team collectively has to step up offensively when Biid is not playing.

It will look like when Duncan and Spurs key guys used to sit out games and Patty Mills, and the rest of their back-ups would upset teams.

With how the league empowers shooters, what Doc has to do is to give more free reign to Seth, Shake and Maxey whenever Biid is not playing. Then run dribble drives with pace and space.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,178

Post#225 » by M2J » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:21 am

Nice games from Joel, Ben, Tobi, and Seth offensively. Even Kork hit some shots.... Still sucks

My barometer for Ben is his free throws and tonight was more like it. Really think he'll make it to 70% on 7-8 attempts as the sample size increases. Games where he plays a full game (no blowouts) he's getting there. Him being confident enough to get to the line and aggressive enough is the growth he needs to make and the one thing Rivers said he wanted from him before the season along with what he's been doing. I think we've seen that all year in large. Also the real difference in the last 2 games regarding his scoring is that these shots around the cup are going in at around his normal clip (a bit above actually), which is why I kept saying he's going to average out to his mean in terms of percentage.

I wonder what the market will be for Danny Green next off season... Of he can be had for about 5 million or less it may be nice for him to stay a Sixer.

I am of the mindset that Joel will take off Monday. They should still win that game, bit probably won't. I think Joel and whoever needs to play these types of games unless they're playing through something they probably shouldn't play through to help the team. At least at this stage of the year. The team is playing well keep up the momentum; the team needs to gel, then stars need to play and the team just got fully healthy again Friday; the team wants to improve the road record, then miss some home games and play on the road to empower your team and build confidence. Less than 20 games into the season, you've missed enough. If we're into 40-50 games.... Your team should have an identity, the bad teams don't feel they're playing for anything, you know where you genuinely stand in the conference, it makes sense that you have bumps and bruises, okay miss these types of games.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Post#226 » by Bum Adebayo » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:59 am

Very impressed with Simmons so far, I think he is getting there on the offensive end much faster than I thought.
Great takes since 2024-04-20
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#227 » by Sixerscan » Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:46 pm

76ciology wrote:
ivysixer2000 wrote:
76ciology wrote:

It will look like when Duncan and Spurs key guys used to sit out games and Patty Mills, and the rest of their back-ups would upset teams.

With how the league empowers shooters, what Doc has to do is to give more free reign to Seth, Shake and Maxey whenever Biid is not playing. Then run dribble drives with pace and space.

I think the biggest issue is when Embiid sits none of the other centers can stretch the floor. Don’t get me wrong Dwight has been a very positive signing overall and is a great fit with Shake but it should just be a given at this point that Ben needs to play with a center with range.

If they bring in Ersan, or Bjelica, or Tucker or someone like that I think you’ll see them start doing better when Embiid rests. You can also probably play him a little less in the games he does play. It would also upgrade Scott’s minutes. That’s definitely the most obviously pressing small move this team has to make.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#228 » by 76ciology » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:08 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
76ciology wrote:
ivysixer2000 wrote:

I think the biggest issue is when Embiid sits none of the other centers can stretch the floor. Don’t get me wrong Dwight has been a very positive signing overall and is a great fit with Shake but it should just be a given at this point that Ben needs to play with a center with range.

If they bring in Ersan, or Bjelica, or Tucker or someone like that I think you’ll see them start doing better when Embiid rests. You can also probably play him a little less in the games he does play. It would also upgrade Scott’s minutes. That’s definitely the most obviously pressing small move this team has to make.

Agree that Ben should play with a C who can shoot. Actually Biid shooting more from the perimeter and the opponents’ C having to step out the paint, opens up the game for him in the last two games.

But D12 is just a great addition and fit to our shooters. I’d rather make the most of our cards by running a scheme that fits our talent.

Ben, even if with Biid, when he runs runs the offense is more of opportunistic. The problem is when it’s denied, he cant just dump the ball to Embiid, when Biid is not playing. So you see him having to kick out to guys like Maxey or Tobi having to run a 2 man game with the clock running out instead.
sodmoraes
Rookie
And1: 537

Post#229 » by sodmoraes » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:18 pm

Maxey was so confident some games ago, shooting that 15 ft pull up jumper with ease. In the last 3 games he's playing very timidly. Hope he gets his swagger back.

Sent from my SM-G920I using RealGM mobile app
[quote:bba5df4c1f="hornetstime"]jr smith will be out of this league in 2 years, book it.[/quote]
Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,580

Post#230 » by Black Mage » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:08 am

Stanford wrote:The difference between Jo when he's rested and Jo on the second of a b2b has to be the largest in the league.

I'd love to know what Shaq's stats were like on a b2b.
Monix
Pro Prospect
And1: 661

Post#231 » by Monix » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:14 am

Black Mage wrote:I'd love to know what Shaq's stats were like on a b2b.

pretty damn good

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/o/onealsh01/splits/
Black Mage
Lead Assistant

Post#232 » by Black Mage » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:18 am

Monix wrote:

pretty damn good

Wow, sometimes I forget just how insane Shaq was.
M2J
Starter

Post#233 » by M2J » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:41 am

76ciology wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
76ciology wrote:

Agree that Ben should play with a C who can shoot. Actually Biid shooting more from the perimeter and the opponents’ C having to step out the paint, opens up the game for him in the last two games.

But D12 is just a great addition and fit to our shooters. I’d rather make the most of our cards by running a scheme that fits our talent.

Ben, even if with Biid, when he runs runs the offense is more of opportunistic. The problem is when it’s denied, he cant just dump the ball to Embiid, when Biid is not playing. So you see him having to kick out to guys like Maxey or Tobi having to run a 2 man game with the clock running out instead.

I think the coaches have done a good job of making sure that Ben dribbling around aimlessly is an extreme rarity. Typically he's looking for early offense, or calling the play and getting to his spot within the play. Not so much trying to create a shot in the half court. When he does, it's from the post, or an early pick and roll drive. But not to the point of leaving the team scrambling in the clock.

I think they really need to have him play more pf and center when they go to the bench and certainly back up center when Joel is out. They've got 3 quality pgs outside of Ben. Even if he handles offensively with those lineups with Maxey they can play very fast, and attack defensively. In the half court let Ben post or screen and roll.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,859

Post#234 » by Stanford » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:04 am

Black Mage wrote:
Monix wrote:

pretty damn good

Definitely.
ivysixer2000
General Manager

Post#235 » by ivysixer2000 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:19 am

Stanford wrote:
Black Mage wrote:

Definitely.

Shaq just isn't a good comparison to Jojo, they don't have much in common....different types of athletes really.
Black Mage
Lead Assistant

Post#236 » by Black Mage » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:35 am

Who would be a good comparison for Joel?
ivysixer2000
General Manager

Post#237 » by ivysixer2000 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:34 am

Black Mage wrote:Who would be a good comparison for Joel?

There isn't a good one, ol' school centers either never practiced or didn't have the touch to shoot from range like Jojo. He is a career 80% free throw shooter, and on my list of the greatest centers of all time, none of them did that. I'm one of the few that think Wilt was the greatest individual player of all time, not Jordan or Lebron....I like the big fellas.

You can only compare players in different eras with players in their eras, but if my life depended on it, I would probably have to say Lewis Alcindor with more attitude.
mithrandir17
Veteran
And1: 1,609

Post#238 » by mithrandir17 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:49 am

Patrick Ewing? But with extended range to 3 point line and more fluid post moves.
M2J
Starter

Post#239 » by M2J » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:01 am

Best comparison for Joel is a big f'n KG.
Jhawk03
Pro Prospect
And1: 339

Post#240 » by Jhawk03 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:15 am

mithrandir17 wrote:

Patrick Ewing? But with extended range to 3 point line and more fluid post moves.

But that puts him miles ahead of Ewing

Return to Philadelphia 76ers