OT Carson Wentz traded 

Post#1 » by spikeslovechild » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:24 pm

Read on Twitter
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,733

Re: OT Carson Wentz traded 

Post#2 » by the_process » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:50 pm

The Eagles need to fire Howie Roseman. Not for this trade, but for the fact he traded up to #2 just five years ago for a QB and now needs to get another QB.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#3 » by LloydFree » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:49 pm

Goodbye. Outside of about 10 games in 2017, was always a bit overrated, IMO.

#RandallCunninghamWasTheGOAT
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,756

Post#4 » by Sixersftw » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:18 pm

the_process wrote:The Eagles need to fire Howie Roseman. Not for this trade, but for the fact he traded up to #2 just five years ago for a QB and now needs to get another QB.

Carson imploding because of a number of reasons isn't Howie's fault and we should really give him slack and not be so reactionary.

With that being said, Howie needs to be fired because of the Alshon extension, drafting JJaw, drafting Jones, drafting 400 other CBs and not hitting one, keeping old players, Golden Tate, Dillard, holy Christ Jake Elliot's contract and this list goes on and on and on. He is so clearly the problem and i feel like he's gonna be here for a damn while.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
the_process
RealGM

Post#5 » by the_process » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:33 pm

Sixersftw wrote:
the_process wrote:The Eagles need to fire Howie Roseman. Not for this trade, but for the fact he traded up to #2 just five years ago for a QB and now needs to get another QB.

Carson imploding because of a number of reasons isn't Howie's fault and we should really give him slack and not be so reactionary.

With that being said, Howie needs to be fired because of the Alshon extension, drafting JJaw, drafting Jones, drafting 400 other CBs and not hitting one, keeping old players, Golden Tate, Dillard, holy Christ Jake Elliot's contract and this list goes on and on and on. He is so clearly the problem and i feel like he's gonna be here for a damn while.

Can't strike out on moving up for a franchise QB and keep your job.

Unless you're Jeff Lurie's cabana boy.

Obviously there's a million other reasons Howie needs to go, but the QB drives the team and you cannot fail so spectacularly when you traded up *twice* to get a guy who should have been the face of your franchise for a decade or more.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,518

Post#6 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:13 am

Seems like just a few years ago Wentz was playing at a MVP level. I know the torn ACL was big for him, but QB's have a long shelf life and they may regret this in a year or two.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,107

Post#7 » by Kobblehead » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:14 am

At the end of the day, Wentz is only 3 games over .500 and he just doesn't vibe with teammates/coaches. Elite physical traits, loser intangibles. Better off moving on. Howie messed up by extending him, but he deserves credit for admitting his mistake and quickly moving off it. At least he was able to recoup a couple nice picks in the process. If Howie can get back to drafting well, we'll be back ontop in due time.
the_process
RealGM

Post#8 » by the_process » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:35 am

Kobblehead wrote:At the end of the day, Wentz is only 3 games over .500 and he just doesn't vibe with teammates/coaches. Elite physical traits, loser intangibles. Better off moving on. Howie messed up by extending him, but he deserves credit for admitting his mistake and quickly moving off it. At least he was able to recoup a couple nice picks in the process. If Howie can get back to drafting well, we'll be back ontop in due time.

It wasn't Howie drafting well, it was Joe Douglas.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#9 » by Kobblehead » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:39 am

I actually think those years collaborating Joe Douglas were garbage. Joe Douglas is kind of a fraud.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,474

Post#10 » by youngcrev » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:48 am

They were clearly at a stage where there was no turning back, and the return is solid enough, but man... This team is going to really bad for at least a few years. You can turn your team around fairly fast in the NFL, but they're in cap hell and have no worthwhile young talent on the team.

Ertz is likely next on the chopping block, but I think you also have to look at the possibility of trading the other high end, over 30 talents on the team in Cox, Lane and Graham.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,148

Post#11 » by Arsenal » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:01 am

Total fraud of a "franchise QB". Million dollar body, ten cent brain.

Good riddance. He was a dark cloud hovering over this franchise.

I'm excited to see what Hurts can do. And for a true "Trust The Process" style rebuild for the Eagles.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#12 » by Arsenal » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:03 am

youngcrev wrote:They were clearly at a stage where there was no turning back, and the return is solid enough, but man... This team is going to really bad for at least a few years. You can turn your team around fairly fast in the NFL, but they're in cap hell and have no worthwhile young talent on the team.

Ertz is likely next on the chopping block, but I think you also have to look at the possibility of trading the other high end, over 30 talents on the team in Cox, Lane and Graham.

Everyone must go. Take all the cap hit pain in 2021 so we're clear in 2022. We also need to Trust The Process for 2021 and 2022. Then we should be ready to compete for years to come in 2023 and beyond.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#13 » by Kobblehead » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:12 am

Even though we're over the cap, we have to find a way to extend some of the good young guys we drafted. Jalen Mills, for instance. And an extension for Derek Barnett either this year or the next. As tempting as it may be to let them walk, we have to retain the good young players that we did draft and develop. It will make the rebuild go a lot faster if we have a strong base.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#14 » by Sixerscan » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:09 am

Kobblehead wrote:Even though we're over the cap, we have to find a way to extend some of the good young guys we drafted. Jalen Mills, for instance. And an extension for Derek Barnett either this year or the next. As tempting as it may be to let them walk, we have to retain the good young players that we did draft and develop. It will make the rebuild go a lot faster if we have a strong base.

Mills was a free agent last year and had no market last year, should be fine to bring him back.

Barnett probably needs to/will be extended this offseason for cap reasons. Just keeping him at his number would be more expensive.

The scary part is how short the list of good young players is. The only Pro Bowler Howie has drafted since he got back in power is Wentz. Better nail this draft.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,059

Post#15 » by sixers hoops » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:15 am

Kobblehead wrote:Even though we're over the cap, we have to find a way to extend some of the good young guys we drafted. Jalen Mills, for instance. And an extension for Derek Barnett either this year or the next. As tempting as it may be to let them walk, we have to retain the good young players that we did draft and develop. It will make the rebuild go a lot faster if we have a strong base.

Love Jalen Mills. An overachiever who keeps getting thrown in roles above his pay grade. He’d be better served not as a starter, but could be starting safety again.

I feel like they have to let Barnett walk. He is one of the only realistic cap sacrifices. Howie has this team in one of the worst cap situations in league history. The “cap wizard” has been pushing salary into the future for years and now he is likely restructuring Malik Jackson and Alshon into the future before they let them go, so they can get under the cap this year. They can save some money getting rid of Alshon, Ertz, and Desean, but half of the roster would carry dead cap hits equal to or greater than their salary.

Lane, Cox, Hargrave, Slay, Graham, Brooks, Elliott, etc really have no cap savings to cut them. Maybe Kelce retires or moves on.

They need to start as much young talent as possible to get them through this cap mess. Hurts, Sanders, Mailata, maybe Herbig if Kelce is gone, Raeger, Fulghum, Sweat, Singleton, etc. Even if not premium talent, they need to grind through Howie’s mess and understand they will stink this year.

Howie’s combination of poor drafting and poor cap management have this team in a position where it is going to be tough to compete for a while.
kriss73
Analyst
And1: 1,811

Post#16 » by kriss73 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:37 am

Sixerscan wrote:

Mills was a free agent last year and had no market last year, should be fine to bring him back.

Barnett probably needs to/will be extended this offseason for cap reasons. Just keeping him at his number would be more expensive.

The scary part is how short the list of good young players is. The only Pro Bowler Howie has drafted since he got back in power is Wentz. Better nail this draft.

Your last sentence is the key: Howie wasted so many drafts.
We need to nail the next two to try to resurrect soon

About Wentz, everyone lost: Eagles FO lost, Carson lost (well he is still paid so...), the fans lost.
What a mess was.
Adam Silver wrote:"Gross incompetence is acceptable; strategic gaming of a flawed system is not."
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#17 » by Arsenal » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:28 pm

sixers hoops wrote:

Love Jalen Mills. An overachiever who keeps getting thrown in roles above his pay grade. He’d be better served not as a starter, but could be starting safety again.

I feel like they have to let Barnett walk. He is one of the only realistic cap sacrifices. Howie has this team in one of the worst cap situations in league history. The “cap wizard” has been pushing salary into the future for years and now he is likely restructuring Malik Jackson and Alshon into the future before they let them go, so they can get under the cap this year. They can save some money getting rid of Alshon, Ertz, and Desean, but half of the roster would carry dead cap hits equal to or greater than their salary.

Lane, Cox, Hargrave, Slay, Graham, Brooks, Elliott, etc really have no cap savings to cut them. Maybe Kelce retires or moves on.

They need to start as much young talent as possible to get them through this cap mess. Hurts, Sanders, Mailata, maybe Herbig if Kelce is gone, Raeger, Fulghum, Sweat, Singleton, etc. Even if not premium talent, they need to grind through Howie’s mess and understand they will stink this year.

Howie’s combination of poor drafting and poor cap management have this team in a position where it is going to be tough to compete for a while.

Agree with all this except Barnett is worth extending if we don’t get a great trade offer. That would lower his cap num now and he’s young enough to be here when we are ready to contend again.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,059

Post#18 » by sixers hoops » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:31 pm

Arsenal wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:

Agree with all this except Barnett is worth extending if we don’t get a great trade offer. That would lower his cap num now and he’s young enough to be here when we are ready to contend again.

I can’t really wrap my head around their finances, but I can’t figure out how the get under possible 180 million with Carson counting as 40 million. Howie is going to keep pushing money in the future and killing us. Just did with Alshon and Malik. Prob will with Lane, Graham, and Brooks. I hope in 2023 or so, we have eaten these cap hits running with our cheap QB, so we have money when we are ready to compete.

I didn’t see anything that tells me Hurts is a guy you can win the super bowl with, but I like his personality and want to see what he can do. I’m not sure we had the receivers or o-line for anyone to impress. I don’t watch college football so I don’t know much about him otherwise.

The key is that we stop throwing draft picks away. We wasted draft picks on Dillard, Sidney Jones, JJAW, Golden Tate trade. In 2018, we hit on some day 2 guys in Maddox, Mailata, and Josh Sweat. And Sanders and Goedert were nice 2nd round selections . He can’t keep whiffing on high picks.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#19 » by LloydFree » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:27 pm

47 million over the cap:

Predictions:
1. Cut Goodwin - minus 4 million
2. Cut Barnett - minus 10 million
3. Cut Desean after June 1 - minus 8 million
4. Cut Jackson - ? amount - recently restructured
5. Cut Alshon - ? amount - recently restructured
6. Trade Ertz for 4th or 5th round pick - minus 5 mil
7. Restructure Cox - add a season to lower cap#
8. Restructure Graham - add a season to lower cap#
9. If Kelce DOESN'T retire, they'll cut Seumalo to save 4 million
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,756

Post#20 » by Sixersftw » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:34 pm

LloydFree wrote:47 million over the cap:

Predictions:
1. Cut Goodwin - minus 4 million
2. Cut Barnett - minus 10 million
3. Cut Desean after June 1 - minus 8 million
4. Cut Jackson - ? amount - recent restructure
5. Cut Alshon - ? amount - recent restructure
6. Trade Ertz for 4th or 5th round pick - 5 million
7. Restructure Cox - add season lower cap#
8. Restructure Graham - add season lower cap#
9. If Kelce DOESN'T retire, they'll cut Seumalo to save 4 million

I agree with most of this but I don't see them cutting Barnett or Seumalo. Seumalo for depth purposes but some team is going to cough up a pick for Barnett.

This year is just going to be taking lumps and then the next season we have a ton of capspace and (hopefully) 2 firsts. I have no faith in Howie turning around the ship but he will have plenty of ammo and a clean cap sheet.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably

Return to Philadelphia 76ers