ImageImageImage

Game 34: Philadelphia 76ers (22-11) vs Cleveland Cavaliers (12-21) l Saturday l 7pm l NBATV

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Re: Game 34: Philadelphia 76ers (22-11) vs Cleveland Cavaliers (12-21) l Saturday l 7pm l NBATV 

Post#241 » by Sixerscan » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:51 pm

76ciology wrote:Down the stretch.

Cavs runs sexton or garland with Jarett Allen, pnr. The infamous 1-5 PnR.

Cavs doubles Biid on ISO and forces guys like Seth and Milton to hurt us.

It kind of exposed our weakness. Biid is no pogo stick on defense, Cavs guards have the floater or the lobs for Jarett Allen whenever they run their 1-5 PnR. I thought we should have switched it with Ben or Green (preferably tobi or bigger wing) to defend their guards and switch to Allen if they opt to run 1-5 PnR. Force Allen to create on offense. We could also throw him double teams and lead to try to score with the shotclock running up.

Teams can double Biid and expose our lack of another shot creator outside Embiid. Seth has a handicap with his inability to pull his shots off against longer defender while Green can’t dribble.

Still we could have won this with Tobi. Tobi allows us to play faster on both ends. Tobi also gives us another option on offense down the stretch that could punish the Cavs if they opt to get the ball out of Jojo’s hands.

Ben didn’t make any impact or any plays down the stretch.

The Cavs scored 36 points in the second half, I don’t think there was any issue with the defense the Sixers were running. The guys just didn’t get after it hard enough in the first half and even then they could probably have overcome it if they don’t miss all those free throws and Seth didn’t have like the worst shooting game of his life.

This team doesn’t have enough offensive firepower to consistently separate from teams without committing on the defensive end the entire game.
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,990

Re: Game 34: Philadelphia 76ers (22-11) vs Cleveland Cavaliers (12-21) l Saturday l 7pm l NBATV 

Post#242 » by spikeslovechild » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:03 pm

sixers hoops wrote:
spikeslovechild wrote:Those people who want to trade Harris for scrubs get to see what that looks like for a bit

Yeah, but we’ve been beat by bad teams several times with Tobias in the lineup, so this game didn’t really indicate that Tobias what have prevented this.

I mean sure but Tobias is averaging 20PPG on good efficiency and you look at who was given more looks in Curry, Korkmaz and Green who went a combined 7 for 31 I am pretty confident in 9 out of 10 cases having Harris healthy wins that game.

I am also confident in the trash index of this bench and that giving them more minutes is only going to show how much of impact having a consistent scorer next to Embiid is necessary.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,059

Post#243 » by sixers hoops » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:40 pm

spikeslovechild wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:
spikeslovechild wrote:Those people who want to trade Harris for scrubs get to see what that looks like for a bit

Yeah, but we’ve been beat by bad teams several times with Tobias in the lineup, so this game didn’t really indicate that Tobias what have prevented this.

I mean sure but Tobias is averaging 20PPG on good efficiency and you look at who was given more looks in Curry, Korkmaz and Green who went a combined 7 for 31 I am pretty confident in 9 out of 10 cases having Harris healthy wins that game.

I am also confident in the trash index of this bench and that giving them more minutes is only going to show how much of impact having a consistent scorer next to Embiid is necessary.

Sure, if we just delete Tobias from the team. I guess I’m not sure what trades you’re referring to, because there are a lot of Tobias trades on the forum. I’m sure a lot of people who want to move Tobias would be looking to acquire more tradeable assets or cap space to better utilize that $35 million.

I would have went that route before the season; however, moving Tobias for more tradeable assets or expiring contracts would be a pretty long term plan. With Joel’s age and current dominance, any plan that involves multiple trades or waiting out expiring contracts, is a big risk of wasting his prime.

I think they have to increase Tobias’s overall impact, and find a way to add another impact guard. Moving Tobias likely isn’t the answer.
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#244 » by VDT » Mon Mar 1, 2021 12:26 am

Tobias is not a bad guy to be the third best player on a team. The supporting cast is not great but it is reasonable. Green and Dwight are experienced players that can still offer, Curry is somewhat one dimensional but provides spacing, Thybylle looks good defensively and at some point he will start hitting his shots and Shake can also play a role as he showed in the last playoffs. If the team cannot compete at the highest level it will be because the stars are just not good enough. Of course, this is a much more difficult problem to fix and people dont want to think about it, but blaming roleplayers or wanting to add another star (how?) is not realistic. The fit of the team is good, the stars just need to deliver. There is not much else to be said right now. There is not much else to be done right now either after the Harden saga. Maybe we can get the next superstar that becomes available but until then, this is largely our team.
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#245 » by kuclas » Mon Mar 1, 2021 12:28 am

As much as the team was dysfunctional last season with al horford and josh. Let’s remember this. Sixers record this season is almost identical to last season.

The road losses almost the same. The home losses worst this season. The net points differential is almost the same.

Aesthetically Embiid looks better. Playing better. But the results are the same.

As much complaints about Al horford. He wasn’t the real issue.
The real is is the sixers team last season was also too heavy

The starting unit of Horford Richardson Simmons Harris and Embiid was very good records wise.

The wheels fell off when Embiid, Richardson and than Simmons missed games.

Last years team was 25-12 Xmas 2019?

This year team is 22-11.

I don’t feel we are “better”. The east just seems to have gotten worst except for Nets

Is Embiid playing better? Absolutely. Simmons started season slow but has ramped up his game as well.

Let’s see how sixers do the next couple of games especially against Utah. If they can’t beat Utah without Harris (not sure how long he’s out). It just shows you how too heavy this team as this year. Just like last season.
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,312

Post#246 » by DCasey91 » Mon Mar 1, 2021 12:43 am

For the rotation unit if they are cold or look it horrible I’d run it like a hockey scheme. Curry shouldn’t have touched the floor (nepotism) in overtime. If someone is hot ride it if they are cold get them out quick smart.

Korkmaz has to hit 37% from 3 to even be on the floor
Thybulle 35%
Milton scoring decently
Maxey scoring decently
Curry 37%

They offer very little when they are not making their shots. Think of it as 3 shots can’t hit one back to the bench you go.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#247 » by Sixerscan » Mon Mar 1, 2021 12:48 am

kuclas wrote:As much as the team was dysfunctional last season with al horford and josh. Let’s remember this. Sixers record this season is almost identical to last season.

The road losses almost the same. The home losses worst this season. The net points differential is almost the same.

Aesthetically Embiid looks better. Playing better. But the results are the same.

As much complaints about Al horford. He wasn’t the real issue.
The real is is the sixers team last season was also too heavy

The starting unit of Horford Richardson Simmons Harris and Embiid was very good records wise.

The wheels fell off when Embiid, Richardson and than Simmons missed games.

Last years team was 25-12 Xmas 2019?

This year team is 22-11.

I don’t feel we are “better”. The east just seems to have gotten worst except for Nets

Is Embiid playing better? Absolutely. Simmons started season slow but has ramped up his game as well.

Let’s see how sixers do the next couple of games especially against Utah. If they can’t beat Utah without Harris (not sure how long he’s out). It just shows you how too heavy this team as this year. Just like last season.

I don’t think they’re that much better on the court, it’s more that they are better set up to make the moves that actually make them better. Last years team was basically locked into the roster it had. This years team has expirings and the trade exception and its pick, the core players are signed long term, the lesser players are expiring.

Rejiggering the team like that without becoming a clearly worse team is itself an accomplishment.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#248 » by Sixerscan » Mon Mar 1, 2021 12:51 am

DCasey91 wrote:For the rotation unit if they are cold or look it horrible I’d run it like a hockey scheme. Curry shouldn’t have touched the floor (nepotism) in overtime. If someone is hot ride it if they are cold get them out quick smart.

Korkmaz has to hit 37% from 3 to even be on the floor
Thybulle 35%
Milton scoring decently
Maxey scoring decently
Curry 37%

They offer very little when they are not making their shots. Think of it as 3 shots can’t hit one back to the bench you go.

He’s benched Curry and Green down the stretch of games several times. The issue was basically all of those guys were playing poorly. I assume if Tobias was active Shake would have finished over Seth but he wasn’t so they both had to play.
phifans
Veteran
And1: 586

Post#249 » by phifans » Mon Mar 1, 2021 1:11 am

I think it's time to start Kork instead of Curry. Not because Kork is better (they both are bench players) but he is a better fit playing with starters while Seith can be more comfortable focusing on scoring along with the bench unit.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers