Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Re: Trade Deadline Thread 

Post#1621 » by PhillyPhilly » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:39 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:
Masai is very overrated.

All he did was sleep in the house Bryan Colangelo built.

And he had nothing to do with Kawhi Leonard. Pop was pissed at Kawhi and shipped him to Canada because he thought it was the opposite of California.

And he lucked into Siakam. If he knew he was going to be good, why didnt he take him at #9 instead of drafting a bust in Yakub Purtle?

Partly true.

Prior to the Siakam, FVV and Kawhi era, he did sleep in the house BC built.

He eventually turned it around.

Probably just waiting for the right move to strike? Who would have thought that Demar could get you a superstar in Kawhi.

He’s good but i wouldnt say he’s on the tier as GMs like Presti.

I think people are overanalyzing the Kawhi trade. I literally think it boiled down to Pop sending Kawhi to Canada out of spite. I don't think it had anything to do with Massai's negotiating abilities or his shrewdness as a GM.

The Raps had everything to lose making that trade...they gave away a star player in Derozen and got Kawhi in full knowledge that it was most likely a one year rental but Masai was brave enough to do it. Pop didn't care about "sending him to canada" he cared about who had the best deal on the table and in his eyes it was the raps. Another underrated move was Masai getting Danny Green in that deal too.

In closing if you don't think Masai is good can you name the gm's you think are better?
hookshot199
Analyst
And1: 723

Post#1622 » by hookshot199 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:18 pm

PhillyPhilly wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Partly true.

Probably just waiting for the right move to strike? Who would have thought that Demar could get you a superstar in Kawhi.

I think people are overanalyzing the Kawhi trade. I literally think it boiled down to Pop sending Kawhi to Canada out of spite. I don't think it had anything to do with Massai's negotiating abilities or his shrewdness as a GM.

The Raps had everything to lose making that trade...they gave away a star player in Derozen and got Kawhi in full knowledge that it was most likely a one year rental but Masai was brave enough to do it. Pop didn't care about "sending him to canada" he cared about who had the best deal on the table and in his eyes it was the raps. Another underrated move was Masai getting Danny Green in that deal too.

In closing if you don't think Masai is good can you name the gm's you think are better?

This wasn't a good decision. In the end, he got nothing for his star. We shouldn't have been in the running anyway, because we couldn't afford to give up Danny Green and Seth Curry and definitely not Thybulle if we believe that Brooklyn is the team to beat in the East. We just didn't have enough junk pieces to meet the 20% thresshold to acquire Lowry’s $30 million salary.

Mike Scott ($5.0 million), Tony Bradley ($3.5 million), Vincent Poirier ($2.6 million) and Terrance Ferguson ($3.94 million) = $15 million. I guess we could have added Kork ($1.7 million), but that’s still only $16.7 million.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,700

Post#1623 » by the_process » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:41 pm

PhillyPhilly wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Partly true.

The Raps had literally nothing to lose in that deal. They had choked in the playoffs again and were about to blow it up, then Kawhi became available. Pop went all stubborn old man and decided he wanted to keep "winning" and DeRozan was the biggest name he could get because the Sixers were offering the package they eventually traded for Jimmy Butler.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,410

Post#1624 » by 76ciology » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:51 pm

the_process wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:I think people are overanalyzing the Kawhi trade. I literally think it boiled down to Pop sending Kawhi to Canada out of spite. I don't think it had anything to do with Massai's negotiating abilities or his shrewdness as a GM.

The Raps had literally nothing to lose in that deal. They had choked in the playoffs again and were about to blow it up, then Kawhi became available. Pop went all stubborn old man and decided he wanted to keep "winning" and DeRozan was the biggest name he could get because the Sixers were offering the package they eventually traded for Jimmy Butler.

If you think about it, we could had both Kawhi and Jimmy.

Spurs was asking Ben or Biid for Kawhi. If we traded Ben for Kawhi then traded for Jimmy with the same package. Then you could also proceed to trade for Tobi.

In 2018-2019 season, you could had..

JJ
Butler
Kawhi
Tobi
Biid

Sure Kawhi can and is likely to walk away. But you can re-sign Jimmy given he can be alpha playmaker on the team now.

But you’d likely win a championship and still have a trio of Jimmy, Tobi and Biid.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1625 » by 76ciology » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:54 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:
Masai is very overrated.

And he had nothing to do with Kawhi Leonard. Pop was pissed at Kawhi and shipped him to Canada because he thought it was the opposite of California.

And he lucked into Siakam. If he knew he was going to be good, why didnt he take him at #9 instead of drafting a bust in Yakub Purtle?

Partly true.

True.

The deal was nothing creative and it was just being at the right place and at the right time.

But it took some sort of a good risk calculation in making that deal.

Masai could also stay in the status quo and play it safe, despite having that opportunity.

He knew that his championship odds will increase vastly with Kawhi. He knew that he’d still have a good team even when Kawhi walks away.

We could have did something similar but we didnt have the balls and the foresight to pull the trigger.

Spoiler:

Spurs was asking Ben or Biid for Kawhi. If we traded Ben for Kawhi then traded for Jimmy with the same package. Then you could also proceed to trade for Tobi.

JJ
Butler
Kawhi
Tobi
Biid

Sure Kawhi can and is likely to walk away. But you can re-sign Jimmy given he can be alpha playmaker on the team now.

But you’d likely win a championship and still have a trio of Jimmy, Tobi and Biid.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
the_process
RealGM

Post#1626 » by the_process » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:07 pm

76ciology wrote:
the_process wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:

JJ
Butler
Kawhi
Tobi
Biid

Jimmy's problem wasn't just with Ben, though. It was first Brett, then Ben, and to a lesser extent also Tobias. So I don't think you can assume Jimmy would've resigned.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1627 » by 76ciology » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:22 pm

the_process wrote:
76ciology wrote:
the_process wrote:

JJ
Butler
Kawhi
Tobi
Biid

Jimmy's problem wasn't just with Ben, though. It was first Brett, then Ben, and to a lesser extent also Tobias. So I don't think you can assume Jimmy would've resigned.

Then fire brett.

BC has been calling to fire brett that Brett was sleeping with the enemy for a season. MDA probably was bored to death sitting beside Brett.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,057

Post#1628 » by sixers hoops » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:43 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:
Masai is very overrated.

Partly true.

Yeah, not sure if it was Canada specifically, but he wasn’t sending him to LA, NY, GS, Miami, etc. Pop had three stars in Duncan, Parker, and Manu, who didn’t grow up here, and were all comfortable winning around Duncan. He didn’t have to deal with the small market challenges of stars trying to bolt after you develop them. Duncan almost went to Orlando with McGrady and Grant Hill, but stayed with SA.

When Kawhi wanted out, he wasn’t going to send him to one of the markets where stars have gone to build superteams. He wanted to send him somewhere cold and without another superstar, and Toronto fit the bill. I’m sure for the right package he would have dumped him in Minnesota or Detroit for a year, but I agree that Pop was clearly making a principled stand.
the_process
RealGM

Post#1629 » by the_process » Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:10 pm

76ciology wrote:
the_process wrote:
76ciology wrote:

JJ
Butler
Kawhi
Tobi
Biid

Then fire brett.

BC has been calling to fire brett that Brett was sleeping with the enemy for a season. MDA probably was bored to death sitting beside Brett.

Agreed on all points. Except that if the Sixers had traded for Kawhi and won a title... then they couldn't fire Brett.
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Post#1630 » by PhillyPhilly » Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:34 pm

It's funny how folks want to give Presti a pass for trading away an all time great talent like Harden, but then turn around and downplay Masai's role in trading for Kawhi??? Tell me how that makes sense?? Also Masai took a chance on Nurse during that very year so he made two huge moves in order to get a championship. Meanwhile Presti and Morey are still waiting for theirs despite their big reputations and having much better players to work with during their tenures.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,148

Post#1631 » by M2J » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:11 pm

Trying to downplay Masai's decision to trade the player that would've been deemed the all time greatest Raptors player.... For a definite rental is silly. It was absolutely a great move. Not something everyone would do. Especially when it pays off.

There seem to be a lot of accusations of coincidence in this thread regarding him. Including the fact that they have about 4 young core players already in a rebuild. Including Trent jr.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1632 » by 76ciology » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:36 pm

the_process wrote:
76ciology wrote:
the_process wrote:

Then fire brett.

Agreed on all points. Except that if the Sixers had traded for Kawhi and won a title... then they couldn't fire Brett.

Ok. Win championship then buyout Brett using Al Horford money 8-)
the_process
RealGM

Post#1633 » by the_process » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:21 pm

76ciology wrote:
the_process wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Then fire brett.

Ok. Win championship then buyout Brett using Al Horford money 8-)

Win title, Kawhi walks and Jimmy leaves, don't trade for Tobias, sign Brogdon instead of Horford, no Morey means they can trade all their picks for Harden :lol:
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 10,988

Post#1634 » by eyeatoma » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:38 pm

So it turns out we made a push for CP3, but Paul didn't want to play with us. As I said before, I'm guessing Ben nixed it. Or maybe he still had issues with Doc (although I read on the board a few times that the beef was settled). So what is that now, CP3, Harden, and Lowry that we haven't been able to get. I am still trusting in Morey, but if someone becomes available this summer and we don't get him, it's going to be rather disappointing. It's like teams know how good Morey is, and they are trying to drain him dry any time they deal with him. Mind you didn't seem like the CP3 deal went very far, it's just becoming kind of Ainge like, where we almost get someone, but never get over the finish line.

CP3 on this team would would have been everything we needed.

Read on Twitter
TTP
Head Coach
And1: 4,398

Post#1635 » by TTP » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:32 pm

eyeatoma wrote:So it turns out we made a push for CP3, but Paul didn't want to play with us. As I said before, I'm guessing Ben nixed it. Or maybe he still had issues with Doc (although I read on the board a few times that the beef was settled). So what is that now, CP3, Harden, and Lowry that we haven't been able to get. I am still trusting in Morey, but if someone becomes available this summer and we don't get him, it's going to be rather disappointing. It's like teams know how good Morey is, and they are trying to drain him dry any time they deal with him. Mind you didn't seem like the CP3 deal went very far, it's just becoming kind of Ainge like, where we almost get someone, but never get over the finish line.

CP3 on this team would would have been everything we needed.

Read on Twitter

Yeah I really wanted the CP3 trade in the offseason and thought it was a really logical move. It makes sense now why it didn't happen if CP3 didn't want it.
jonjames is a signature bet welcher.

Appostis wrote:You're friend ..is a idiot.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1636 » by 76ciology » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:55 am

Given it costed the Suns:
Oubre
Rubio
2022 first round pick

I say the proposal we had involved the Al trade (to match salaries) and would look something like..

CP3 for Al, 2025 1st Round pick and Thybulle (analytic porn)

Just my guess.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#1637 » by eyeatoma » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:48 am

76ciology wrote:Given it costed the Suns:
Oubre
Rubio
2022 first round pick

I say the proposal we had involved the Al trade (to match salaries) and would look something like..

Just my guess.
No real point in speculating. CP3 didn't want to come here.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1638 » by 76ciology » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:32 am

eyeatoma wrote:
Oubre
Rubio
2022 first round pick

Just my guess.

Yeah, im just saying that it’s most likely part of the Al trade. Because its the only way you can match the cap.

Then I’d imagine when the deal didnt push through, it ended up into the GHill trade.

Where as in the GHill trade, we replaced Thybulle or shake for a couple of second rounders.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#1639 » by eyeatoma » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:44 am

76ciology wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
Oubre
Rubio
2022 first round pick

Just my guess.

Yeah, im just saying that it’s most likely part of the Al trade. Because its the only way you can match the cap.

Then I’d imagine when the deal didnt push through, it ended up into the GHill trade.

Where as in the GHill trade, we replaced Thybulle or shake for a couple of second rounders.
True.

Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,080

Post#1640 » by Kobblehead » Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:17 pm

Chris Paul has a rocky past with Morey
Chris Paul has a rocky past with Rivers
Phoenix is an incredible place to live

Return to Philadelphia 76ers