ImageImageImage

What if we go with who we got?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

What if we go with who we got? 

Post#1 » by rzzzzz » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:10 pm

I know it seems impossible given we got Morey working the phones. Surely he’s going to pull off something at the last second, but:

If somehow we had the current roster going into the playoffs healthy, and maybe even rested with the rookies getting in some extra time to see who might serve whatever situational circumstance, do we potentially have the horses to make a serious run?

I’m looking at Embiid possibly playing his first healthy, in shape 2nd season, Curry providing the firepower and balance he gave us to start regular season, Danny finding that extra playoff gear just one more time, Harris continuing to prosper under Doc and Ben giving us more of that energy we’ve had a few glimpses of. Along with Howard’s magic, a little Matisse zone, and maybe a key shot or two from Kork. (I don’t think I dare express any lofty expectation out of Shake, regardless of what we were hoping for heading in.) That’s a whole lot of if’s, and the Nets should be rested and healthy as well. IDK
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,792

Re: What if we go with who we got? 

Post#2 » by Negrodamus » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:31 pm

I think our best bet is finding quality depth if we can’t pull a star in with a trade. I don’t think we’ll beat the Nets if we have Kork, Scott, and Maxey playing meaningful minutes. We need more scoring off the bench to keep us rolling in stretches where Embiid is off the court.
zaz102
Sixth Man
And1: 806

Post#3 » by zaz102 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:37 pm

Negrodamus wrote:I think our best bet is finding quality depth if we can’t pull a star in with a trade. I don’t think we’ll beat the Nets if we have Kork, Scott, and Maxey playing meaningful minutes. We need more scoring off the bench to keep us rolling in stretches where Embiid is off the court.
Yeah, looking at their luxury tax situation it looks like they're best bet to upgrade is to find a player about under $10M that deal expires this year or next and would need to be an upgrade over Scott and/or Thybulle.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#4 » by LloydFree » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:14 pm

rzzzzz wrote:I know it seems impossible given we got Morey working the phones. Surely he’s going to pull off something at the last second, but:

If somehow we had the current roster going into the playoffs healthy, and maybe even rested with the rookies getting in some extra time to see who might serve whatever situational circumstance, do we potentially have the horses to make a serious run?

I’m looking at Embiid possibly playing his first healthy, in shape 2nd season, Curry providing the firepower and balance he gave us to start regular season, Danny finding that extra playoff gear just one more time, Harris continuing to prosper under Doc and Ben giving us more of that energy we’ve had a few glimpses of. Along with Howard’s magic, a little Matisse zone, and maybe a key shot or two from Kork. (I don’t think I dare express any lofty expectation out of Shake, regardless of what we were hoping for heading in.) That’s a whole lot of if’s, and the Nets should be rested and healthy as well. IDK

No. We do not have enough, as currently constructed, to get through the playoffs. This is the regular season. The 76ers have 3-4 payers out of 17, I trust in playoff minutes. There is a lot of fool's gold on the team. Players that look good now, against Regular season Defense. Seth Curry, Furkan Korkmaz, Tyrese Maxey and Tony Bradley will likely all get played off the court, most games. And I'm not even sure Shake and Mattise will hold up. Though I give them a chance. The 76ers need at least 2 veteran perimeter players, who can play both sides of the ball competently.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
UptownPhilly
Analyst
And1: 183

Post#5 » by UptownPhilly » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:20 pm

If we stick with what we have, we limit ourselves to a second round exit, yet again. We still need someone who can dribble penetrate and score under pressure. It’s the same song.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,133

Post#6 » by Arsenal » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:31 pm

Our playoff performance will be determined by whether these two players show up and play like stars:

1) Ben Simmons
2) Tobias Harris

We already know Joel Embiid will play like an MVP assuming he's healthy. So it all comes down to those two guys.

Everyone else, including whoever we could trade for (with the possible exception of Kyle Lowry) will not make a difference.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,677

Post#7 » by stormi » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:46 pm

Arsenal wrote:Our playoff performance will be determined by whether these two players show up and play like stars:

1) Ben Simmons
2) Tobias Harris

We already know Joel Embiid will play like an MVP assuming he's healthy. So it all comes down to those two guys.

Everyone else, including whoever we could trade for (with the possible exception of Kyle Lowry) will not make a difference.

I'm not sure that's a given.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,716

Post#8 » by the_process » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:46 pm

If the Sixers can't get anything done, then the result of the season is one of two outcomes IMO:

They hold on to the 1st seed, and get swept by the Nets in the ECF's.

(IDK if you all would consider that successful. Assuming standings hold and they beat Boston then Miami would be nice I suppose. Ownership might feel good about it too. Worried about taking their eyes off the prize in this scenario.)

Or they fall from the 1st seed and lose in the 2nd round.
SparksFly87
Assistant Coach
And1: 395

Post#9 » by SparksFly87 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:46 pm

We need a high level starter level shotcreator who is athletic and defends or we don’t make it out second round.

Korkmaz is a young expiring and unrestricted so no need to pay him with Isiah Joe and Maxey on secured contracts . Scott is a expiring , Ferguson and the 2 centers are expiring well. We have 2 firsts that we don’t need to go younger with especially considering how young Maxey and joe are.

Keep Green we need him right now. He’s still a solid 3 and D vet. Unless we can replace those skills and leadership.

Use expirings, picks and the trade exception to get this player via trade
Lonzo, Olidipo, Lowry , Westbrook.. Hield just saying ...

Seth, Thybulle, Milton,Maxey, Joe, Reed, Dwight and a buyout is a solid bench.

This player can be resigned if a expiring considering 15 mil of Green off the books in the summer. I would consider trading Milton for a sure fire starter as well because of his 2 years left before a unrestricted as well.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#10 » by Arsenal » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:49 pm

stormi wrote:
Arsenal wrote:Our playoff performance will be determined by whether these two players show up and play like stars:

1) Ben Simmons
2) Tobias Harris

If he's healthy its a given. If he's not healthy we aren't winning anyway.

All this talk about other players means nothing. They are all irrelevant and don't move the needle.

We go as far as Embiid, Simmons, and Harris take us.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,677

Post#11 » by stormi » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:53 pm

Arsenal wrote:
stormi wrote:

1) Ben Simmons
2) Tobias Harris

If he's healthy its a given. If he's not healthy we aren't winning anyway.

All this talk about other players means nothing. They are all irrelevant and don't move the needle.

We go as far as Embiid, Simmons, and Harris take us.

Mm. We've yet to see Embiid deliver a true superstar caliber playoff series - or at least up to the standard we all know he's capable of, and the Raps mini-H2H gave major flashbacks to how this team performs when things get uncomfortable. Embiid was taken totally out of his element, and sometimes he's prone to getting flustered.

I think Ben is what he is at this point. It would be awesome if we got current Tobi in the playoffs though.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#12 » by Arsenal » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:53 pm

the_process wrote:If the Sixers can't get anything done, then the result of the season is one of two outcomes IMO:

They hold on to the 1st seed, and get swept by the Nets in the ECF's.

(IDK if you all would consider that successful. Assuming standings hold and they beat Boston then Miami would be nice I suppose. Ownership might feel good about it too. Worried about taking their eyes off the prize in this scenario.)

Or they fall from the 1st seed and lose in the 2nd round.

Totally disagree. If we get the #2 seed there's no way Milwaukee beats us in the 2nd round.

We'll be in the ECF regardless of getting the #1 or #2 seed. We have a good chance to take out Milwaukee even if they are the #2 seed and we are the #3 seed.

The only way we don't make the ECF this year is if Embiid is not healthy.
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,776

Post#13 » by Skates » Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:17 pm

At a bare minimum we need to grab another ball handler and move Poirer and Ferguson in the deal, converting BBall Paul and adding another two way guy. Should be a bit more, but that is the bare minimum.
zaz102
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by zaz102 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:41 pm

For anybody that didn't listen to the RTRS podcast from the other day with Morey there were a couple of interesting comments from him-

* He once said that he really thinks teams with approximately 5% odds (adjusted from Vegas) are real contenders.

The odds for the Sixers are around 5% (adjusted from Sixers 7% Vegas odds).

* Morey said if there are like 3-4 questions then they're probably kidding themselves. He mentioned the Sixers had a few, but didn't specify how many. One example he gave was Embiid being healthy.

It doesn't sound like he thinks the Sixers are strong contenders. Not sure if that would mean a big splash for this year or essentially build for next year.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,753

Post#15 » by Sixersftw » Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:42 pm

LloydFree wrote:
rzzzzz wrote:I know it seems impossible given we got Morey working the phones. Surely he’s going to pull off something at the last second, but:

No. We do not have enough, as currently constructed, to get through the playoffs. This is the regular season. The 76ers have 3-4 payers out of 17, I trust in playoff minutes. There is a lot of fool's gold on the team. Players that look good now, against Regular season Defense. Seth Curry, Furkan Korkmaz, Tyrese Maxey and Tony Bradley will likely all get played off the court, most games. And I'm not even sure Shake and Mattise will hold up. Though I give them a chance. The 76ers need at least 2 veteran perimeter players, who can play both sides of the ball competently.

Wholeheartedly this. I think Shake and Matisse will prove valuable assuming Shake progresses back to the norm and Matisse stays right where he is at lol. We still need a Mike Scott upgrade 4/3 and a combo guard that can generate points but isn't hunt-able on switches, imo.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#16 » by LloydFree » Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:48 pm

One of the biggest problems the 76ers have, if the playoff seeding holds, is the matchup with Miami in the 2nd round. The 76ers have more talent than the Heat, but the Heat have nothing but players who have played deep into the playoffs. Most of them with multiple teams. The 76ers don't have that. They have 4 playoff tested guys, and only one who's played deep into the playoffs.

It is imperative that they get a guy like George Hill for the playoffs. Maybe even try to steal a Rudy Gay too.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#17 » by kuclas » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:12 pm

LloydFree wrote:One of the biggest problems the 76ers have, if the playoff seeding holds, is the matchup with Miami in the 2nd round. The 76ers have more talent than the Heat, but the Heat have nothing but players who have played deep into the playoffs. Most of them with multiple teams. The 76ers don't have that. They have 4 playoff tested guys, and only one who's played deep into the playoffs.

It is imperative that they get a guy like George Hill for the playoffs. Maybe even try to steal a Rudy Gay too.

Miami doesn’t scare me. The gimmick zone defense they used really doesn’t work with sixers having more shooters this season.

Bam just cannot guard Embiid. He’s 6 foot 9. Bam has the same issues as Myles tuner against Embiid. Miami would need double team almost every time. Now the double team may work for a while but other sixers will get rolling. They got two below average defenders in hero and Duncan Robinson.

The reality of things is sixers should have been 3-1 last season vs heat. Or at the very worst 2-2. Harris missing an idiotic slam dunk to seal game. And horford missing a very makeable 3 pointer to win a game.

The heat are just not good on the road.

So Harris on butler
Bam/Kelly O on Embiid
Bam on Simmons
Hero on curry/thybulle
Robinson on Danny Green.
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#18 » by LloydFree » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:28 pm

kuclas wrote:
LloydFree wrote:One of the biggest problems the 76ers have, if the playoff seeding holds, is the matchup with Miami in the 2nd round. The 76ers have more talent than the Heat, but the Heat have nothing but players who have played deep into the playoffs. Most of them with multiple teams. The 76ers don't have that. They have 4 playoff tested guys, and only one who's played deep into the playoffs.

Miami doesn’t scare me. The gimmick zone defense they used really doesn’t work with sixers having more shooters this season.

Bam just cannot guard Embiid. He’s 6 foot 9. Bam has the same issues as Myles tuner against Embiid. Miami would need double team almost every time. Now the double team may work for a while but other sixers will get rolling. They got two below average defenders in hero and Duncan Robinson.

The reality of things is sixers should have been 3-1 last season vs heat. Or at the very worst 2-2. Harris missing an idiotic slam dunk to seal game. And horford missing a very makeable 3 pointer to win a game.

So Harris on butler
Bam/Kelly O on Embiid
Bam on Simmons
Hero on curry/thybulle
Robinson on Danny Green.

You missed my point. The other Eastern contenders have 5-10 battle tested playoff performers on their rosters. Miami is just the example I used because, EVERYONE on their team is battle tested and has performed. Though their coach is worthless, even Milwaukee now has a lineup of battle tested players. The 76ers don't have that. They're built like the Bucks of the past two seasons. The 76ers have shooters, but they only have one shooter who has played against playoff defense.
zaz102
Sixth Man

Post#19 » by zaz102 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:43 pm

LloydFree wrote:
kuclas wrote:

So Harris on butler
Bam/Kelly O on Embiid
Bam on Simmons
Hero on curry/thybulle
Robinson on Danny Green.

You missed my point. The other Eastern contenders have 5-10 battle tested playoff performers on their rosters. Miami is just the example I used because, EVERYONE on their team is battle tested and has performed. Though their coach is worthless, even Milwaukee now has a lineup of battle tested players. The 76ers don't have that. They're built like the Bucks of the past two seasons. The 76ers have shooters, but they only have one shooter who has played against playoff defense.
Not sure if I buy the "battle tested" theory. Warriors weren't battle tested before they won the championship.

I think the Bucks just weren't as good as the Cavs, Raptors, or Heat despite their record. I feel the same way about the Sixers when comparing them to the Nets and a healthy Lakers team. I think they stand a shot against most other teams, but definitely need at least one more player for their playoff rotation to stand a chance.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#20 » by rzzzzz » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:45 pm

So in his interview with Zack Lowe, which I think was just before he quit, Hinkie said that Embiid had something like an 85% chance of getting healthy, and if he did he had a 90% chance of dominating the league. (Something in that neighborhood.). Of course, he was talking about JoJo fully recovering from that 2nd navicular operation. All these knee dingers, etc., were not being anticipated. Let alone what kind of shape he was in.

BUT: The only reason for us to consider ourselves contenders this year is based on how dominant Embiid finally has been. I still worry a little about the bone bruise, but given he comes back, and if he can minimize how much he flies in for poster dunks, I can’t wait to see what he’ll do this year in the playoffs. He should be an absolute beast. But if he isn’t 100%, we won’t get out of the division.

That doesn’t mean he couldn’t use more help that what we’ve got now. I just don’t know, given who we got to trade and how much we got tied up into salaries, just how great a starter Morey can get us. I mean maybe just moving the deck chairs around will help. And there are a couple of current rotation guards that may be available that could make a significant difference.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers