ImageImageImage

Around the League: Offseason

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,074

Re: Around the League: Playoffs and beyond! 

Post#1241 » by Bum Adebayo » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:59 am

76ciology wrote:Size and the count of trophy is the same whether you earn it the hard way or the easy way.

And you’re smarter if you earn it the easy way

No, no it's not the same, how you do it is the most important thing, there is little merit if you need to form a superteam to win a championship, no matter how the modernists try to spin it.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,861

Post#1242 » by 76ciology » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:04 am

Bum Adebayo wrote:
76ciology wrote:Size and the count of trophy is the same whether you earn it the hard way or the easy way.

No, no it's not the same, how you do it is the most important thing, there is little merit if you need to form a superteam to win a championship, no matter how the modernists try to spin it.

Ok then let me know the exact count and size of the trophy of giannis. Does it count as 1.6789 trophy with a size 2.56839 bigger than the Lakers won in the bubble?

I look at the 98 Bulls. And they faced a weak Jazz squad. The Raps in 2019 also beat a GSW who’s missing key players.

The Cavs maybe a superteam but they faced probably the most talented squad in league history with those Warriors team. Jordan never faced any team as talented as those Warriors squad.

A championship is a championship. You get it by any means necessary. And if you get it the easy way or the hard way is not important.

If your mentality is about giving more merit on effort, you’ll likely not going to end up getting anywhere far in this league.

And i dont know about effort, it’s too subjective. Like I proposed a 5 team trade in the trade board. A blazers fan said its unlikely because you need to cross too many bridge. If I pull it off, you can say the GM made a lot of effort for that too happen. Rather than just lucking themselves in picking a player that will end up being a 2x MVP outside the lottery.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1243 » by 76ciology » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:13 am

And superteam.. what’s the exact definition of a superteam? Like a couple of All NBA players and an allstar? Because we can say the same thing with Embiid, Ben and Al Horford in 2019-2020.

While you look at the Bulls squad relative to their competition and they also look like a superteam.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager

Post#1244 » by Bum Adebayo » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:59 pm

The definition of forming a superteam is pretty straightforward, you team up with other stars/superstars in that moment to win a championship.
So what Lebron did with Heat and what Durant did with Warriors. Lakers 2020 is a softer version of it because only two superstars colluded, for example Embiid teaming up with Lillard would probably fall in a similar category.
If your drafted players become stars and superstars, then that is not forming a superteam. Winning the easy way just means teaming up with players that are already established stars and superstars.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,846

Post#1245 » by the_process » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:05 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:

Yeah, I'm gonna say it after everything we've been through with this team and with the last three champions.

Just win, baby.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1246 » by 76ciology » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:17 pm

Right way is not about your moral compass saying whats right or wrong.

Right way is doing the way that has probability favoring you.

YOU DO WHATEVER IT TAKES.
zaz102
Sixth Man
And1: 851

Post#1247 » by zaz102 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:41 pm

76ciology wrote:Right way is not about your moral compass saying whats right or wrong.

I don't think any GM would care about how they do it (while doing it within the rules of course and agreement of ownership). That's literally their job.

Fans are a different topic. People get invested for different reason. It's understandable a fan would rather follow they like or have been invested in rather than win by any means necessary.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager

Post#1248 » by Bum Adebayo » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:10 pm

76ciology wrote:Right way is not about your moral compass saying whats right or wrong.

If you want to win at all costs yes, but the moral compass is real and cannot be denied, not all rings are equal and never will be.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,258

Post#1249 » by Kobblehead » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:01 am

Bucks ring isn't that pure, either, though.

If it was, Brandon Jennings and Jabari Parker would be standing at the podium with Giannis instead of Jrue Holiday and Khris Middleton.
zaz102
Sixth Man

Post#1250 » by zaz102 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:52 am

Kobblehead wrote:Bucks ring isn't that pure, either, though.

If it was, Brandon Jennings and Jabari Parker would be standing at the podium with Giannis instead of Jrue Holiday and Khris Middleton.
Not sure who mentioned the pure thing and I don't care much about it. But I could see an argument for "pure" could be the stars that developed on the team that are the core of the team. In this case, Giannis and Middleton. The non-core non-star players are inconsequential.

It's all pretty much a gray area though. I think if we end up getting rid of Simmons and Embiid for an established star (let's say LeBron and AD for an example), I wonder how much I care at that point if they won a championship in Philly.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#1251 » by Kobblehead » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:55 am

Yeah, I mean, it's almost impossible to have a pure ring. Even the Warriors had their purity soiled by the all-time terrible decision to have the Finals MVP awarded to journeyman Iguodala.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,890

Post#1252 » by stormi » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:08 am

Kobble back on the #buildwithben wagon? Powerful.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#1253 » by Kobblehead » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:30 am

The sad thing is that if we hit on Fultz and Alexander in 2017 and 2018, we don't have to make any moves and we coast to a purely organic dynasty.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1254 » by 76ciology » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:54 am

If you want to win the purest championship, try winning with Isaiah Canaan, Tony Wroten and Henry Sims. I think you’ll even win a Nobel Prize for Sports Award for that. Then you’ll have your visit at the white house and united nation headquarters at geneva.
Zumramania
Senior
And1: 430

Post#1255 » by Zumramania » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:30 am

zaz102 wrote:

Not sure who mentioned the pure thing and I don't care much about it. But I could see an argument for "pure" could be the stars that developed on the team that are the core of the team. In this case, Giannis and Middleton. The non-core non-star players are inconsequential.

It's all pretty much a gray area though. I think if we end up getting rid of Simmons and Embiid for an established star (let's say LeBron and AD for an example), I wonder how much I care at that point if they won a championship in Philly.

I do not see Simmons as a part of the hypothetical "soul" of this team, in my view he betrayed the team with his attitude and lack of improvement. If there is a player next to Embiid who would represent something like that, that would be Maxey and maybe Thybulle.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,082

Post#1256 » by Sixerscan » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:11 pm

2008 Phillies were built mostly through the farm system

SB 52 Eagles had a lot of vets that were only here for a few years

(Some exceptions either way of course)

Both were a lot of fun/I don't care how anyone from the outside values them respectively.
zaz102
Sixth Man

Post#1257 » by zaz102 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:16 pm

Zumramania wrote:
zaz102 wrote:

I do not see Simmons as a part of the hypothetical "soul" of this team, in my view he betrayed the team with his attitude and lack of improvement. If there is a player next to Embiid who would represent something like that, that would be Maxey and maybe Thybulle.
Yeah, that emphasizes my gray area comment. Every fan is going to care about different players and things.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 18,009

Post#1258 » by Mik317 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:41 pm

the NBA season is long enough to get attached to players. So even if your title team is full of mercs, its long enough to grow attached. It didn't pan out in the end but lets say we somehow won this year, Dwight would be a legend around here for his vibes alone for example.

Besides the whole super team thing is overblown a bit. The only times it was a bit **** was when Bron went to the Heat and KD went to the Warriors....and honestly thats only bad in context. Bron made a big spectacle of it and was considered to be the best...and joining Wade on his team just doesn't look cool. If they all went to the Knicks or Bulls...people would probably have felt a bit different for example. KD going to the Warriors sucked because he just lost to them lol...and they had won already and was coming off a 72-10 season ffs. Context is key....AND YET, on the other end of things. Those Cavs teams were boo boo and OKC choosing Ibaka over Harden was just dumb and Westbrook's style of play just doesn't pan out...so both guys probably would have KG'd themselves into not winning **** and being clowned on for it. People put sooo much on rings to the point where guys like Barkley gets trolled for it to the point it overshadows their careers...and thus we have super teams. Giannis doing this is great and all but lets not forget they were a Kyrie and Harden injury and KD big ass shoes away from being out in the second round, firing their coach and probably a Giannis trade request away.

Its hard to win it all lol. So taking the "easy" way out isn't exactly something I would say I wouldn't do. Its all fine and dandy to go "Imma real one" for sticking it out until your career is over and all you have is stats to show for it.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1259 » by 76ciology » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:52 pm

The only superteam I have an issue with is when KD joined the Warriors.

Not because of how OP that team was. But because I love how the Warriors played before they had KD.

I also want more OKC vs Warriors series and 73 win Warriors vs Cavs series. NBA fans were robbed.

I think even KD regrets playing for the Warriors
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,082

Post#1260 » by Sixerscan » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:56 pm

Yeah Durant Warriors were dumb but if I'm a GSW fan I'm pretty pumped Curry Klay and Draymond got 3 rings instead of 1.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers