ImageImageImage

Around the League: Offseason

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,723

Re: Around the League: Offseason 

Post#1421 » by 76ciology » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:46 pm

I’ll trade high on Morant. I dont think he’ll be good. He is a low efg% scorer.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1422 » by 76ciology » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:47 pm

Kobblehead wrote:If it's 4 years and $100m, I don't think that's bad at all. That's only about $25m per year. Those contracts are extremely moveable.

What breaks the league is the second extension these guys are eligible for. Look at the Gobert thing. That basically ruins the Jazz for the next decade. The supermax is the problem. That needs to be abolished asap. Nobody should be making $40m+ in a salary cap league.

That's 80% of the reason I'm against the Lillard trade interest that Daryl has. That albatross contract of his. Him being an old munchkin is just 20% of the problem. I'd take an old munchkin on a $30m contract.

Yeah my bad. I didnt read it thoroughly. Yeah that contract wouldnt be bad.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,147

Post#1423 » by Kobblehead » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:53 pm

76ciology wrote:I’ll trade high on Morant. I dont think he’ll be good. He is a low efg% scorer.

Interesting.

If you just look at his play through the first two regular seasons, he only looks like a dribble-pass guy. Which is only two of the traits that represent the "Core Four" (dribble-pass-shoot-defend). So I agree with you there, might be worth thinking about moving.

But if you take into account the playoff series where he hit 2 threes a game and averaged 30 in the series, he flashed dribble-pass-shoot abilities and looked like a franchise player.

If he can leverage the most recent playoff run into year three, I think he becomes a keeper. But if he reverts back to just being a dribble-pass guy with no shooting or defense, they may be wasting their time. He shot threes in his sophomore year at Murray State and shot threes in the playoff series at the end of year two. So he 's got the ability to make shooting apart of his game, just has to be willing.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1424 » by 76ciology » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:09 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
76ciology wrote:I’ll trade high on Morant. I dont think he’ll be good. He is a low efg% scorer.

Interesting.

If you just look at his play through the first two regular seasons, he only looks like a dribble-pass guy. Which is only two of the traits that represent the "Core Four" (dribble-pass-shoot-defend). So I agree with you there, might be worth thinking about moving.

But if you take into account the playoff series where he hit 2 threes a game and averaged 30 in the series, he flashed dribble-pass-shoot abilities and looked like a franchise player.

If he can leverage the most recent playoff run into year three, I think he becomes a keeper. But if he reverts back to just being a dribble-pass guy with no shooting or defense, they may be wasting their time.

He’s good. But not good enough to be an alpha. Specially when you’re second best player is JJJ. But not all teams are looking to win the championship.

And dont get me wrong, im not saying you should trade him for the best offer out there. I’d probably would have traded him for Jalen Green or Cade.

Then I’d trade JJJ for a top pick and get me another scorer of atleast as good as Morant. Just so if I end up keeping Morant, I can get a scoring help to play with Morant.

Just think about it, even Doncic himself is asking for scoring help. While Morant is just a big drop in scoring compared to Doncic.

But yeah, maybe Morant just had a down year last season and im overreacting
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#1425 » by Kobblehead » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:40 pm

I'm in wait and see mode regarding Morant. I'm putting a lot of equity in his playoff performance where he averaged 30 and looked like a superstar so I'm giving him the benefit of doubt heading into year three. He needs to make the shooting apart of his game, though.
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,596

Post#1426 » by sixerswillrule » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:19 pm

Read on Twitter
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,987

Post#1427 » by Negrodamus » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:35 pm

sixerswillrule wrote:
Read on Twitter

"would of", lol. Dude disqualified his insult by the fifth word of his sentence.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,987

Post#1428 » by Negrodamus » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:27 pm

Read on Twitter

Worth considering?

Dude is pretty athletic and aggressive with the ball in his hands.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,776

Post#1429 » by the_process » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:35 pm

sixerswillrule wrote:
Read on Twitter

Sixers management has to do a better job with their psyche evals.
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,313

Post#1430 » by DCasey91 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:42 pm

I like Morant a lot. Super athleticism and high level skill don’t just come around every year. So for example it’s harder to find/draft a Morant than to already have one.

One rock is better etc.

Has winning impact, Grizzlies are a very solid organization too. No head-cases on that team.

He’s a mix between Rose/Westbrook with all the great intangibles and none of the bad ones attached.

He was my favorite prospect coming out (Zion tier because of injuries question marks).

Has a chance to be in that top 15-10 range in years to come.

Keep

Jalen Green will most likely be the SG version of Morant. Super athleticism and high end skill associated to him.

My comp for Green is always is if Morant was stuck inside of a taller Beal, sub out the prodigious passing skill for a better shot lol. He’s going to score as easy as the best scorers in the league.
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,313

Post#1431 » by DCasey91 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:49 pm

Not a hot take at all but Morant is MJ/Kobe tier pound for pound and size for size and so is Green.

Effortless, functional goat tier athleticism. Transitional, diagonal, whichever direction all of their 0-100 efficiency is astounding. They move like glitches lol.

Ben is kind of the opposite (loses speed on direction and doesn’t gain momentum).
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1432 » by 76ciology » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:49 am

Who are the young player who looks average or underperforming but can be an allstar in the upcoming season?

I read you guys like NAW.
Gen board likes Patrick Williams.
How about DeAndre Hunter or Cam Redish?
Have RJ Barrett turn things around?
DeAnthony Melton looks like Lowry/Bledsoe 2.0
Grizz rookie Ziaire Williams looks promising
Gavin_TDThree
Senior
And1: 587

Post#1433 » by Gavin_TDThree » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:57 pm

Tyrese Maxey putting in some work

What are you guys expecting out of him this year?

Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#1434 » by Kobblehead » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:12 pm

I don't think Paul George was on my radar back then. If the players weren't on tv, I didn't know who they were.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#1435 » by Kobblehead » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:19 pm

76ciology wrote:Who are the young player who looks average or underperforming but can be an allstar in the upcoming season?

I read you guys like NAW.
Gen board likes Patrick Williams.
How about DeAndre Hunter or Cam Redish?
Have RJ Barrett turn things around?
DeAnthony Melton looks like Lowry/Bledsoe 2.0
Grizz rookie Ziaire Williams looks promising

R.J. Barrett looks like the guy ready to take the allstar leap. His shooting has been surprisingly awesome at the NBA level. At his size and with his passing and dribbling abilities, makes him a pretty potent offensive player.

Nickeil Walker is still dealing with a lot of mouths to feed to New Orleans. He's going to take another leap this year, but he may lack the volume scoring to be in consideration.

Reddish shooting inconsistency and brain hold him back.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#1436 » by Kobblehead » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:26 pm

I gotta be honest, I don't get the DeAndre Hunter thing.

He was an old ass 22 year old prospect taken 4th overall.

Don't make plays defensively. Didn't have great shotcreating abilities. Doesn't pass well. Didn't project to be a great shooter (he's shot decently in the NBA).
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1437 » by 76ciology » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:19 pm

Kobblehead wrote:I gotta be honest, I don't get the DeAndre Hunter thing.

He was an old ass 22 year old prospect taken 4th overall.

Don't make plays defensively. Didn't have great shotcreating abilities. Doesn't pass well. Didn't project to be a great shooter (he's shot decently in the NBA).

Your probably looking at deflections

Based on on/off numbers, DeAndre Hunter has the most impact among the Hawks on defense with a -8Net DRtg. He also is a very good individual defender where his opponents shot -5.6DFG% when he’s defending.

He averaged 15ppg on 60TS%.

As a 3&D guy I like him. But i dont see him being more than that.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1438 » by 76ciology » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:34 pm

I like the new Pacers roster.

Brogdon
Lavert
Duarte
Sabonis
Turner
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#1439 » by Kobblehead » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:21 pm

Deflections are the only thing I value defensively. It's not like defenders can guard anyone in playoff basketball. It's either you're generating deflections and forcing takeaways or you're just there to get scored on.

60% true shooting is less impressive when you look at how few buckets he scores unassisted. 63% assisted inside the arc. If he was on the Sixers, he'd be in the Danny Green, Matisse Thybulle, Tony Bradley range of shotcreating ha.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1440 » by 76ciology » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:38 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Deflections are the only thing I value defensively. It's not like defenders can guard anyone in playoff basketball. It's either you're generating deflections and forcing takeaways or you're just there to get scored on.

60% true shooting is less impressive when you look at how few buckets he scores unassisted. 63% assisted inside the arc. If he was on the Sixers, he'd be in the Danny Green, Matisse Thybulle, Tony Bradley range of shotcreating ha.

I think it has to be a the right balance of man to man (dfga&dfg%), on/off, multi position defense and deflections. I wouldnt go too heavy on deflections, this is why a lot of teams got bamboozled on Roco.

The ideal ones are probably like prime Kawhi, prime Embiid, Ben, prime LeBron and Iggy.

Anyways.. still he’s just a 3&D guy to me but who knows. If you can shoot that well, all you need is a step back jumper and know how to put your man on your back when you run a 2 man game. No need for Kyrie’s streetball moves nowadays.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers