ImageImageImage

Buyout Market Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

HotelVitale
General Manager
Posts: 9,751
And1: 5,232
Joined: Sep 14, 2007
Location: West Philly, PA

Re: Buyout Market Thread 

Post#181 » by HotelVitale » Sun Apr 4, 2021 4:21 am

76ciology wrote:Why did we have to give up a pick (which could be a deal breaker to the harden trade) and al horford for cap flexibility when you can get Blake Griffin, Andre Drummond and Lamarcus Aldridge for peanuts? Who are we saving the cap space for? Hamidou Diallo and Bobby Portis?


Not sure if this is a rhetorical question, but if it isn't:
a) we got Danny Green in that trade, been a ridiculously good change from Horford to him
b) it's not really the pure cap space (which we wouldn't have any of either way) but the fact that we're both not immediately in the tax for 3 straight seasons and have some wiggle room to add players without being hardcapped; we're also not staring down the massive repeater tax while also being pretty meh (like we were with Horford). All that's really important
c) we're not BKN or LAL, so we don't get to sign Drummond and Aldridge for peanuts
User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 46,549
And1: 14,708
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: Buyout Market Thread 

Post#182 » by 76ciology » Sun Apr 4, 2021 4:49 am

HotelVitale wrote:
76ciology wrote:Why did we have to give up a pick (which could be a deal breaker to the harden trade) and al horford for cap flexibility when you can get Blake Griffin, Andre Drummond and Lamarcus Aldridge for peanuts? Who are we saving the cap space for? Hamidou Diallo and Bobby Portis?


Not sure if this is a rhetorical question, but if it isn't:
a) we got Danny Green in that trade, been a ridiculously good change from Horford to him
b) it's not really the pure cap space (which we wouldn't have any of either way) but the fact that we're both not immediately in the tax for 3 straight seasons and have some wiggle room to add players without being hardcapped; we're also not staring down the massive repeater tax while also being pretty meh (like we were with Horford). All that's really important
c) we're not BKN or LAL, so we don't get to sign Drummond and Aldridge for peanuts


1.) Green is a good player BUT Al is a better player and is more talented than Green (14-6 3.3BPM). Green is just a one year rental.

If the issue is fit then we could just start Milton (like during the bubble) and get some guard like Austin Rivers or Jeff Teague to play off the bench. Having Al solidifies any 5 man unit, without Biid.

D12-Ben: -11 NetRtg
Al-Ben: +4 NetRtg

Aside from not having a reliable shotcreator down the stretch, the next biggest issue is how our team collapse whenever Biid is off the floor.

2.) you can still add cheap players when you are hardcapped and is paying the repeater tax. There’s a surplus of talent and every year there’s a a fresh batch of talented players coming.

That wiggle room IMO was in preparation for a $50M player like Harden.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/james-harden-turned-down-historic-50m-per-year-extension-with-rockets-focused-on-trade-to-nets-per-report/amp/

3.) There are several guys who we can sign for peanuts in the buyout market such as Dieng, Teague, Mclemore and Austin Rivers, aside from Drummon and LMA.
“If anyone can refute me—show me I'm making a mistake or looking at things from the wrong perspective—I'll gladly change. It's the truth I'm after, and the truth never harmed anyone." Marcus Aurelius.
Murray_17
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,857
And1: 2,166
Joined: Mar 20, 2020
   

Re: Buyout Market Thread 

Post#183 » by Murray_17 » Sun Apr 4, 2021 9:13 pm

Read on Twitter


We dodged a bullet by not going after this guy, i always said it. His 3 point shot is broken too
Kolkmania
Analyst
Posts: 3,181
And1: 1,509
Joined: Feb 11, 2015

Re: Buyout Market Thread 

Post#184 » by Kolkmania » Mon Apr 5, 2021 8:34 am

76ciology wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
76ciology wrote:Why did we have to give up a pick (which could be a deal breaker to the harden trade) and al horford for cap flexibility when you can get Blake Griffin, Andre Drummond and Lamarcus Aldridge for peanuts? Who are we saving the cap space for? Hamidou Diallo and Bobby Portis?


Not sure if this is a rhetorical question, but if it isn't:
a) we got Danny Green in that trade, been a ridiculously good change from Horford to him
b) it's not really the pure cap space (which we wouldn't have any of either way) but the fact that we're both not immediately in the tax for 3 straight seasons and have some wiggle room to add players without being hardcapped; we're also not staring down the massive repeater tax while also being pretty meh (like we were with Horford). All that's really important
c) we're not BKN or LAL, so we don't get to sign Drummond and Aldridge for peanuts


1.) Green is a good player BUT Al is a better player and is more talented than Green (14-6 3.3BPM). Green is just a one year rental.

If the issue is fit then we could just start Milton (like during the bubble) and get some guard like Austin Rivers or Jeff Teague to play off the bench. Having Al solidifies any 5 man unit, without Biid.

D12-Ben: -11 NetRtg
Al-Ben: +4 NetRtg

Aside from not having a reliable shotcreator down the stretch, the next biggest issue is how our team collapse whenever Biid is off the floor.

2.) you can still add cheap players when you are hardcapped and is paying the repeater tax. There’s a surplus of talent and every year there’s a a fresh batch of talented players coming.

That wiggle room IMO was in preparation for a $50M player like Harden.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/james-harden-turned-down-historic-50m-per-year-extension-with-rockets-focused-on-trade-to-nets-per-report/amp/

3.) There are several guys who we can sign for peanuts in the buyout market such as Dieng, Teague, Mclemore and Austin Rivers, aside from Drummon and LMA.


Not only is Green quite crucial for our rotation, his willingness to shoot in particular, but being a rental makes him an attractive trade piece as well.
Toronto wouldn't want to absorb Al Horford because of the length of his contract. So adding Green made us better, while having more flexibility on the trade market.

Sure there are players who enter the buyout market. Teague, Rivers and McLemore are nowhere near Green's value and there's still a slim chance that they join the Sixers.
User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 46,549
And1: 14,708
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: Buyout Market Thread 

Post#185 » by 76ciology » Mon Apr 5, 2021 8:48 am

Spoiler:
Kolkmania wrote:
76ciology wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
Not sure if this is a rhetorical question, but if it isn't:
a) we got Danny Green in that trade, been a ridiculously good change from Horford to him
b) it's not really the pure cap space (which we wouldn't have any of either way) but the fact that we're both not immediately in the tax for 3 straight seasons and have some wiggle room to add players without being hardcapped; we're also not staring down the massive repeater tax while also being pretty meh (like we were with Horford). All that's really important
c) we're not BKN or LAL, so we don't get to sign Drummond and Aldridge for peanuts


1.) Green is a good player BUT Al is a better player and is more talented than Green (14-6 3.3BPM). Green is just a one year rental.

If the issue is fit then we could just start Milton (like during the bubble) and get some guard like Austin Rivers or Jeff Teague to play off the bench. Having Al solidifies any 5 man unit, without Biid.

D12-Ben: -11 NetRtg
Al-Ben: +4 NetRtg

Aside from not having a reliable shotcreator down the stretch, the next biggest issue is how our team collapse whenever Biid is off the floor.

2.) you can still add cheap players when you are hardcapped and is paying the repeater tax. There’s a surplus of talent and every year there’s a a fresh batch of talented players coming.

That wiggle room IMO was in preparation for a $50M player like Harden.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/james-harden-turned-down-historic-50m-per-year-extension-with-rockets-focused-on-trade-to-nets-per-report/amp/

3.) There are several guys who we can sign for peanuts in the buyout market such as Dieng, Teague, Mclemore and Austin Rivers, aside from Drummon and LMA.


Not only is Green quite crucial for our rotation, his willingness to shoot in particular, but being a rental makes him an attractive trade piece as well.
Toronto wouldn't want to absorb Al Horford because of the length of his contract. So adding Green made us better, while having more flexibility on the trade market.

Sure there are players who enter the buyout market. Teague, Rivers and McLemore are nowhere near Green's value and there's still a slim chance that they join the Sixers.


You can get a player better than Al and way better than Green with that 2025 1st round pick. Such as Aaron Gordon and Evan Fournier.

The salary we freed up, will likely not get us anyone as good as Al, Aaron Gordon or Fournier. It’s probably going to just get you an upgrade from Mike Scott to Bobby Portis.

Paying the luxury tax is OK if your team is a contender. Maybe deep inside the FO dont see our team, lead by Biid and Ben, as a contender. For instance, the Bucks do see their team lead by Jrue and Giannis as contenders, thus they overpaid for a trio of Giannis, Jrue and Middleton. And I believe some here who wanted to send a pick or two for Lowry are in the same boat.

The trade can only be justified, for me, if we are looking to add a $40+M salary player like Harden. But if we are building towards this structure of Embiid plus mid to low tier stars like Ben and Tobi, then i find the trade to be a step back.

BUT I believe in Morey and trust that he is eyeing for a potential big trade such as the Harden deal, in the near future.

The Al trade for me shows that Morey is looking to build a team similar to his favorite built of top heavy team rather than building a team similar to what the Bucks is right now or past Spurs squad where you have a franchise player surrounded by 2-4 good players.

Im not saying the trade is ultimately perpetually bad. It will depend on future actions.
“If anyone can refute me—show me I'm making a mistake or looking at things from the wrong perspective—I'll gladly change. It's the truth I'm after, and the truth never harmed anyone." Marcus Aurelius.
LloydFree
RealGM
Posts: 15,024
And1: 10,853
Joined: Aug 20, 2012
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Re: Buyout Market Thread 

Post#186 » by LloydFree » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:43 pm

If the 76ers don't mind paying the additional luxury tax, they have the opportunity to pick up Khem Birch off waivers today. The Magic are expected to waive him and he fits into the trade exemption.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Negrodamus
RealGM
Posts: 16,073
And1: 6,785
Joined: Aug 05, 2004

Re: Buyout Market Thread 

Post#187 » by Negrodamus » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:47 pm

Read on Twitter


With Iggy getting waived, I could see Clark being an option. Former Rockets PF. Morey might still see something in him.
LloydFree
RealGM
Posts: 15,024
And1: 10,853
Joined: Aug 20, 2012
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Re: Buyout Market Thread 

Post#188 » by LloydFree » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:19 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
Read on Twitter


With Iggy getting waived, I could see Clark being an option. Former Rockets PF. Morey might still see something in him.

Gary Clark has only been in the league 3 years right? He's still eligible for a 2-way spot.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
mithrandir17
Veteran
Posts: 2,611
And1: 1,351
Joined: Jan 30, 2017
 

Re: Buyout Market Thread 

Post#189 » by mithrandir17 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:13 pm

Who ever we intend to sign as a buyout needs to be bought out by today right? So that they will clear waivers and sign with us by tomorrow's deadline.
Skates
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,939
And1: 2,081
Joined: Feb 18, 2008
       

Re: Buyout Market Thread 

Post#190 » by Skates » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:24 pm

mithrandir17 wrote:Who ever we intend to sign as a buyout needs to be bought out by today right? So that they will clear waivers and sign with us by tomorrow's deadline.


Tomorrow is the deadline for them to sign with a new team and be playoff eligible. You can still sign players for the regular season only after tomorrow.
mithrandir17
Veteran
Posts: 2,611
And1: 1,351
Joined: Jan 30, 2017
 

Re: Buyout Market Thread 

Post#191 » by mithrandir17 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:29 pm

Skates wrote:
mithrandir17 wrote:Who ever we intend to sign as a buyout needs to be bought out by today right? So that they will clear waivers and sign with us by tomorrow's deadline.


Tomorrow is the deadline for them to sign with a new team and be playoff eligible. You can still sign players for the regular season only after tomorrow.

Yes, I know this but if a player gets waived by tomorrow, doesn't he need to wait for the waivers to clear before he can sign with another team therefore he misses the deadline for the playoff eligibility?
zaz102
Junior
Posts: 378
And1: 127
Joined: Nov 08, 2016

Re: Buyout Market Thread 

Post#192 » by zaz102 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:35 pm

mithrandir17 wrote:
Skates wrote:
mithrandir17 wrote:Who ever we intend to sign as a buyout needs to be bought out by today right? So that they will clear waivers and sign with us by tomorrow's deadline.


Tomorrow is the deadline for them to sign with a new team and be playoff eligible. You can still sign players for the regular season only after tomorrow.

Yes, I know this but if a player gets waived by tomorrow, doesn't he need to wait for the waivers to clear before he can sign with another team therefore he misses the deadline for the playoff eligibility?
Not sure, but per a 2019 article, the deadline for a player being waived and being able to be signed for the Sixers playoff run was actually yesterday.

https://dunkorthree.com/waive-player-nba/

"When a player is waived, they will enter a 48-hour waiver wire, where the other NBA teams can try to claim on the player and take on the contract from the team who put that player on the waiver wire. If no teams take the player within the 48 hours, that player enters unrestricted free agency."
mithrandir17
Veteran
Posts: 2,611
And1: 1,351
Joined: Jan 30, 2017
 

Re: Buyout Market Thread 

Post#193 » by mithrandir17 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:01 pm

zaz102 wrote:
mithrandir17 wrote:
Skates wrote:
Tomorrow is the deadline for them to sign with a new team and be playoff eligible. You can still sign players for the regular season only after tomorrow.

Yes, I know this but if a player gets waived by tomorrow, doesn't he need to wait for the waivers to clear before he can sign with another team therefore he misses the deadline for the playoff eligibility?
Not sure, but per a 2019 article, the deadline for a player being waived and being able to be signed for the Sixers playoff run was actually yesterday.

https://dunkorthree.com/waive-player-nba/

"When a player is waived, they will enter a 48-hour waiver wire, where the other NBA teams can try to claim on the player and take on the contract from the team who put that player on the waiver wire. If no teams take the player within the 48 hours, that player enters unrestricted free agency."

If that is the case then the last roster spot that Iggy created will be filled up by an unsigned FA and not a buyout. Unless they just plan to sign someone who wont be eligible in the playoffs.
zaz102
Junior
Posts: 378
And1: 127
Joined: Nov 08, 2016

Re: Buyout Market Thread 

Post#194 » by zaz102 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:04 pm

mithrandir17 wrote:
zaz102 wrote:
mithrandir17 wrote:Yes, I know this but if a player gets waived by tomorrow, doesn't he need to wait for the waivers to clear before he can sign with another team therefore he misses the deadline for the playoff eligibility?
Not sure, but per a 2019 article, the deadline for a player being waived and being able to be signed for the Sixers playoff run was actually yesterday.

https://dunkorthree.com/waive-player-nba/

"When a player is waived, they will enter a 48-hour waiver wire, where the other NBA teams can try to claim on the player and take on the contract from the team who put that player on the waiver wire. If no teams take the player within the 48 hours, that player enters unrestricted free agency."

If that is the case then the last roster spot that Iggy created will be filled up by an unsigned FA and not a buyout. Unless they just plan to sign someone who wont be eligible in the playoffs.
I also heard on Bodners podcast that a player waived on Friday could still be signed and eligible for the playoffs so that could be wrong.
LloydFree
RealGM
Posts: 15,024
And1: 10,853
Joined: Aug 20, 2012
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Re: Buyout Market Thread 

Post#195 » by LloydFree » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:37 pm

I say claim Khem Birch on waivers, just so the Raptors can't have him. Then cut Tucker and sign Gary Clark jr to a 2-way contract.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
SixthStreet
Senior
Posts: 583
And1: 319
Joined: May 31, 2018
       

Re: Buyout Market Thread 

Post#196 » by SixthStreet » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:35 pm

Gary Clark does attempt a good rate of 3s but with horrid accuracy. Seems switchable, yet neutral-ish on defense. Probably not a bad guy to add since other options seem bottom of the barrel.
Negrodamus
RealGM
Posts: 16,073
And1: 6,785
Joined: Aug 05, 2004

Re: Buyout Market Thread 

Post#197 » by Negrodamus » Fri Apr 9, 2021 3:08 pm



My selfish, homer self would love to have UK legend Darius Miller play the small ball Mike Scott role. In his limited time he's been actually playing phenomenally for the Thunder. Have a feeling he won't be the guy though.
kriss73
Veteran
Posts: 2,801
And1: 1,521
Joined: Jul 25, 2015
       

Re: Buyout Market Thread 

Post#198 » by kriss73 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 5:08 pm

Read on Twitter


Make sense.
We have too few minutes of playing time to attract people.
Adam Silver wrote:"Gross incompetence is acceptable; strategic gaming of a flawed system is not."
zaz102
Junior
Posts: 378
And1: 127
Joined: Nov 08, 2016

Re: Buyout Market Thread 

Post#199 » by zaz102 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 6:02 pm

Here's an interesting point.


Read on Twitter
?s=19
LloydFree
RealGM
Posts: 15,024
And1: 10,853
Joined: Aug 20, 2012
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Re: Buyout Market Thread 

Post#200 » by LloydFree » Fri Apr 9, 2021 6:09 pm

Negrodamus wrote:

My selfish, homer self would love to have UK legend Darius Miller play the small ball Mike Scott role. In his limited time he's been actually playing phenomenally for the Thunder. Have a feeling he won't be the guy though.

Isn't he hurt?
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down

Return to Philadelphia 76ers