ImageImageImage

Buyout Market Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

Skates
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,941
And1: 2,081
Joined: Feb 18, 2008
       

Re: Buyout Market Thread 

Post#121 » by Skates » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:48 pm

So now Jojo owns a piece of the Lakers, given his ownership of a spot in Drummonds's mind (-;

I knew we wouldn't get one of Dieng, Drummond or Aldridge and am pretty happy that Dieng is the one that ended up with the spurs rather than the Nets or Lakers where he was probably the best fit for teams that need/like defense and floor spacing.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
Posts: 8,338
And1: 1,445
Joined: Sep 21, 2005
Location: South Jersey

Re: Buyout Market Thread 

Post#122 » by ankle420breaker » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:17 am

I'm not sure I totally agree with the notion that Olynyk would establish a better role elsewhere. He's a 4/5 combo role here with countless actions and subject to extended minutes whenever Joel sits.

More importantly-- there's just no way he can deny how gorgeous he'd look in slow motion trailing Benny Dimes' fast breaks.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
stormi
Analyst
Posts: 3,158
And1: 2,451
Joined: Jun 04, 2019
Location: defending lady gaga on pop forums
 

Re: Buyout Market Thread 

Post#123 » by stormi » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:25 am

ankle420breaker wrote:I'm not sure I totally agree with the notion that Olynyk would establish a better role elsewhere. He's a 4/5 combo role here with countless actions and subject to extended minutes whenever Joel sits.

More importantly-- there's just no way he can deny how gorgeous he'd look in slow motion trailing Benny Dimes' fast breaks.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app


Biggest threat if it were to happen would be going back to Boston to start at C. Should absolutely come here though if he wants to go to the finals and get revenge on Lebron for last year.
eyeatoma
RealGM
Posts: 14,716
And1: 2,545
Joined: Feb 25, 2005
Location: An Indian in Indonesia
     

Re: Buyout Market Thread 

Post#124 » by eyeatoma » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:29 am

I feel like I read somewhere that Olynyk was happy to be in Houston... Sigh, so we're not going to get anyone.
User avatar
Embiid P
Analyst
Posts: 3,175
And1: 919
Joined: Nov 07, 2013
     

Re: Buyout Market Thread 

Post#125 » by Embiid P » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:47 am

It seems like we always strike out in the buyout market even when we're in first place. What gives?
Skates
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,941
And1: 2,081
Joined: Feb 18, 2008
       

Re: Buyout Market Thread 

Post#126 » by Skates » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:15 am

Embiid P wrote:It seems like we always strike out in the buyout market even when we're in first place. What gives?


Not a glamour or good weather market.

Contender, but not surefire for ring chasers.

Lack of Center minutes once Jojo is healthy, and that was the top of the market player type.

One of the buyout guards is the head coach's kid and that didn't go well last time.

Not really a ton of buyouts this year that can play, so far.

Missed out on guys before the deadline to keep our salary ballast.

Etc.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
Posts: 8,457
And1: 2,096
Joined: Jun 28, 2002

Re: Buyout Market Thread 

Post#127 » by sixers hoops » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:21 am

[streamable][/streamable]
Embiid P wrote:It seems like we always strike out in the buyout market even when we're in first place. What gives?


Utah is in first place too and nobody is going there either. Nobody cares who is in first place 2/3 of the way through the season. They care who has the best chance to win the title. Oddsmakers say Brooklyn and Lakers. And they both happen to be in the biggest markets (not a coincidence). And not far behind them is the other LA team.

Those markets draw Lebron, Kawhi, Durant, and Kyrie. Then those stars get Anthony Davis, Paul George, and James Harden to follow by forcing a trade there. Then the buyout players look for the best spot for themselves on one of those teams. Miami and GS have been there and can be in the mix again as well. The Knicks have the market, but the owner has been so bad for 20 years they can’t even take advantage of it.
ivysixer2000
Head Coach
Posts: 6,581
And1: 1,483
Joined: Feb 24, 2005

Re: Buyout Market Thread 

Post#128 » by ivysixer2000 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:24 am

Embiid P wrote:It seems like we always strike out in the buyout market even when we're in first place. What gives?


Well to me, honestly, it has to do with relationships between players, just like the big 3 for the Nets was formed among others like the Heat with LeBusta a while back.

Most of the players that are buyouts are older, right around the age of Harden, KD, Kyrie, Jimmy, Busta, and such. Our guys are too young to even really know or establish a relationship with any of these guys. I'm sure that Ben and Jojo have established relationships in their time in this league with other young guys, but all of their friends wouldn't be on the buyout market til they are like 30.

I know its easy to think, hey we are in first place, they should be begging to come here. Blake, Aldridge, and Drummond have known the main players on those teams they are going to for like a decade. It will take time before Ben or Jojo have that kind of pull with those type of players.

They are choosing who they know and want to play with, while some will chase the money, or some to win a ring. Out of those 3 things, for players of their age, we might have the ring thing but we haven't made it past the second round. It will take time for us to get guys just cause they want to play with Ben and Jojo, cause of their youth alone, unless they actually do something in the playoffs.
eyeatoma
RealGM
Posts: 14,716
And1: 2,545
Joined: Feb 25, 2005
Location: An Indian in Indonesia
     

Re: Buyout Market Thread 

Post#129 » by eyeatoma » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:16 am

So are we essentially not going to get anyone on the buyout? I'm not sure if I can handle any more Mike Scott.
User avatar
Embiid P
Analyst
Posts: 3,175
And1: 919
Joined: Nov 07, 2013
     

Re: Buyout Market Thread 

Post#130 » by Embiid P » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:25 am

sixers hoops wrote:[streamable][/streamable]
Embiid P wrote:It seems like we always strike out in the buyout market even when we're in first place. What gives?


Utah is in first place too and nobody is going there either. Nobody cares who is in first place 2/3 of the way through the season. They care who has the best chance to win the title. Oddsmakers say Brooklyn and Lakers. And they both happen to be in the biggest markets (not a coincidence). And not far behind them is the other LA team.

Those markets draw Lebron, Kawhi, Durant, and Kyrie. Then those stars get Anthony Davis, Paul George, and James Harden to follow by forcing a trade there. Then the buyout players look for the best spot for themselves on one of those teams. Miami and GS have been there and can be in the mix again as well. The Knicks have the market, but the owner has been so bad for 20 years they can’t even take advantage of it.


Good insight. And then people wonder why Hinkie tanked multiple seasons to get franchise players. It's funny how the league is so quick to crack down on tanking yet it doesn't bat an eye when star players align to play together in big/warm weather markets. But hey, it's much better for ratings when big market teams are title contenders.
Skates
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,941
And1: 2,081
Joined: Feb 18, 2008
       

Re: Buyout Market Thread 

Post#131 » by Skates » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:32 am

We can get someone, it just won’t be someone that fits the dual need of rim protection and spacing, it will be ine or the other. I would normally lean towards a shooter of some kind, but with Dwight clowning it up we may need more of a rim protection guy and count on Hill and the current guys for shooting.
User avatar
stormi
Analyst
Posts: 3,158
And1: 2,451
Joined: Jun 04, 2019
Location: defending lady gaga on pop forums
 

Re: Buyout Market Thread 

Post#132 » by stormi » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:02 am

Is the market dry this year? How many more guys do we think will be bought out?
User avatar
Jhawk03
Junior
Posts: 438
And1: 91
Joined: May 23, 2003
Location: Time for a new contract.......

Re: Buyout Market Thread 

Post#133 » by Jhawk03 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:24 am

stormi wrote:Is the market dry this year? How many more guys do we think will be bought out?


It feels like the Nets and Lakers, maybe Clips to a lesser extent really cornered the buyout market this year. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if there was AT LEAST a small change in buyout process following this
User avatar
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
Posts: 9,741
And1: 1,289
Joined: Jan 10, 2009

Re: Buyout Market Thread 

Post#134 » by Foshan » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:15 am

So Leonard Myers messed up on social media (I didn’t really read the article) but seems like everyone hates him. Is his skill greater than his offense and bad PR? Or is he forever out of the league? Or just need some
Celebrity rehab?
eyeatoma
RealGM
Posts: 14,716
And1: 2,545
Joined: Feb 25, 2005
Location: An Indian in Indonesia
     

Re: Buyout Market Thread 

Post#135 » by eyeatoma » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:48 am

Foshan wrote:So Leonard Myers messed up on social media (I didn’t really read the article) but seems like everyone hates him. Is his skill greater than his offense and bad PR? Or is he forever out of the league? Or just need some
Celebrity rehab?



**** that I want no part of him. He sucks anyways.
User avatar
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
Posts: 9,741
And1: 1,289
Joined: Jan 10, 2009

Re: Buyout Market Thread 

Post#136 » by Foshan » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:12 am

eyeatoma wrote:
Foshan wrote:So Leonard Myers messed up on social media (I didn’t really read the article) but seems like everyone hates him. Is his skill greater than his offense and bad PR? Or is he forever out of the league? Or just need some
Celebrity rehab?



**** that I want no part of him. He sucks anyways.

Actually, he's out injured for the season. So never mind.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
Posts: 15,789
And1: 1,421
Joined: Mar 17, 2004

Re: Buyout Market Thread 

Post#137 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:51 pm

Even before Leonard Meyers blew up on social media for saying racist stuff, I didn't like him. Terrible basketball player.
I know it seems as though we need a center right now, but honestly....We should be looking for a Mike Scott upgrade. Both Mo Harkless and Otto Porter seem to be available. I know Porter is kind of washed, but...He might be able to help. It's either that, or this team is really high on Paul Reed and we could see him logging big minutes sooner than later.
VDT
Analyst
Posts: 3,103
And1: 1,902
Joined: Oct 13, 2018

Re: Buyout Market Thread 

Post#138 » by VDT » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:26 pm

I am not sure why we need a center if Embiid is going to be back in the next days. I dont think we need a 4 either, Simmons and Harris can play the 4 in the playoffs.

Is Otto Porter Jr get bought out? I would prefer to add a wing than a big really.
zaz102
Junior
Posts: 379
And1: 127
Joined: Nov 08, 2016

Re: Buyout Market Thread 

Post#139 » by zaz102 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:55 pm

VDT wrote:I am not sure why we need a center if Embiid is going to be back in the next days. I dont think we need a 4 either, Simmons and Harris can play the 4 in the playoffs.

Is Otto Porter Jr get bought out? I would prefer to add a wing than a big really.
The main reason for a 4 is that Ben isn't the best fit with Dwight. If you split minutes with Tobi and Ben, you'll essentially have two non-shooters on the floor. Would also make it very hard to have Thybulle on the floor with them. Also, there may be a game or so where Embiid or Howard get in foul trouble, it would be nice to play someone other than Mike Scott if at all possible.

For the most of the game, I would think you have a fair amount of options for guards/wings since you know both Tobi and Ben will be on the floor for 3/4 of the game (ideally most together). You can throw in Green, Hill, Shake, Curry, and Thybulle (or Korkmaz who can occasionally get hot). IMO, they seem to be in better shape than 4/5 here.

However, I might be inclined to take the risk with a guard/wing if the option is a significantly bigger upgrade than anything we can get at 4/5.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
Posts: 8,457
And1: 2,096
Joined: Jun 28, 2002

Re: Buyout Market Thread 

Post#140 » by sixers hoops » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:56 pm

VDT wrote:I am not sure why we need a center if Embiid is going to be back in the next days. I dont think we need a 4 either, Simmons and Harris can play the 4 in the playoffs.

Is Otto Porter Jr get bought out? I would prefer to add a wing than a big really.


I haven’t seen anything solid regarding him actually getting bought out.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers