ImageImageImage

Welcome Mason Jones

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,080

Re: Welcome Mason Jones 

Post#21 » by Kobblehead » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:37 pm

kriss73 wrote:To be honest, if I'm him I'd prefer to be on the Rox roster not on the sixers'one.

I think that mindset is more prevalent among bluechippers (Kevin Porter, for instance). I could see a guy like Mason Jones just valuing a stable organization with a respected coaching staff. Even if he doesn't get immediate playing time on the main roster.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#22 » by LloydFree » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:12 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
kriss73 wrote:To be honest, if I'm him I'd prefer to be on the Rox roster not on the sixers'one.

We have a pretty good track record of giving opportunities to two-way/G-League guys, even in recent years (Pelle, Shake, Bolden, Christian Wood, Paul Reed etc). Our lack of creators should give him some optimism.

Perhaps this can be a RoCo part 2.

But Covington worked out with us because we had 30 minutes to give him from day 1. People forget that Covington came to us as nothing but a G-league 3 point shooter. He wasn't any defensive monster yet. He had game time to develop.

If I were Mason Jones, I go to Orlando, where they have immediate playing time and a G-league program that teaches Defense. If not them, then next year, Toronto or Miami, due to their development programs.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,742

Post#23 » by Negrodamus » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:21 pm

LloydFree wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

We have a pretty good track record of giving opportunities to two-way/G-League guys, even in recent years (Pelle, Shake, Bolden, Christian Wood, Paul Reed etc). Our lack of creators should give him some optimism.

But Covington worked out with us because we had 30 minutes to give him from day 1. People forget that Covington came to us as nothing but a G-league 3 point shooter. He was any defensive monster yet. He had game time to develop.

If I were Mason Jones, I go to Orlando, where they have immediate playing time and a G-league program that teaches Defense. If not them, then next year, Toronto or Miami, due to their development programs.

I meant that more in the sense that the Rockets gave up on him and then we scooped him up and turned him into a valuable piece. I think his path to playing time will have to be similar to Shake. IIRC, Shake was behind Zhaire, Kork, James Ennis, McConnell, etc, etc his rookie year. It took like halfway through his second year until Brett started using him more consistently.

I will say that he likely has a leg up on regular 2-way players in that he hasn't played a single G-League game and has shown some promise in limited time as rookie in the NBA. He needs to make friends with Howard and show off some of this PnR scoring in practice with him:

zaz102
Sixth Man
And1: 806

Post#24 » by zaz102 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:22 pm

LloydFree wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

But Covington worked out with us because we had 30 minutes to give him from day 1. People forget that Covington came to us as nothing but a G-league 3 point shooter. He wasn't any defensive monster yet. He had game time to develop.

He was undrafted and waived by the lowly Rockets. Wish the best for the kid, but I doubt he was belle of the ball.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#25 » by Kobblehead » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:24 pm

LloydFree wrote:He wasn't any defensive monster yet.

Of course he was. He was a defensive phenom coming out of Tennessee State.

And then during the 2014 G-League season, he posted a 3.2% steal and 2.9% block percentage. That's all-world defense out of the gate.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,038

Post#26 » by Sixerscan » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:50 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
LloydFree wrote:He wasn't any defensive monster yet.

Of course he was. He was a defensive phenom coming out of Tennessee State.

And then during the 2014 G-League season, he posted a 3.2% steal and 2.9% block percentage. That's all-world defense out of the gate.

Great example of the limits of evaluating defense based on those stats.
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#27 » by LloydFree » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:53 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
LloydFree wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

But Covington worked out with us because we had 30 minutes to give him from day 1. People forget that Covington came to us as nothing but a G-league 3 point shooter. He was any defensive monster yet. He had game time to develop.

I meant that more in the sense that the Rockets gave up on him and then we scooped him up and turned him into a valuable piece. I think his path to playing time will have to be similar to Shake. IIRC, Shake was behind Zhaire, Kork, James Ennis, McConnell, etc, etc his rookie year. It took like halfway through his second year until Brett started using him more consistently.

I will say that he likely has a leg up on regular 2-way players in that he hasn't played a single G-League game and has shown some promise in limited time as rookie in the NBA. He needs to make friends with Howard and show off some of this PnR scoring in practice with him:

Yeah, I agree he has some serious playmaking ability. I hope he gets a chance to show something in practices. That seems to be what happened with Tony Bradley. Bradley talked about the low minute games the bench players play in practice.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#28 » by Kobblehead » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:54 pm

Nope. Those are perfect predictive indicators. Non-elite defensive talents cannot manufacture god-tier deflection stats.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#29 » by Negrodamus » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:12 pm

I'm also going to add that he has a FTr of .500 which is a pretty good indicator that his foul drawing ability has at least translate to the NBA (.668 FTr at Ark).
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#30 » by Negrodamus » Thu May 6, 2021 9:28 pm

Read on Twitter

Goodbye King.
Lovetron Joe
Rookie
And1: 482

Post#31 » by Lovetron Joe » Thu May 6, 2021 9:31 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
Read on Twitter

Goodbye King.

So who is coming in? I expect a PF.
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#32 » by LloydFree » Thu May 6, 2021 10:01 pm

I'm a bit surprised they waived Mason Jones before Tucker. Mason Jones is the more skilled player. I guess they feel they can develop Tucker's far superior athletic traits, and create a player. Maybe they think they can use him for defense, in a pinch, if needed.
Tomjas
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,173

Post#33 » by Tomjas » Thu May 6, 2021 10:11 pm

Is there anyone with a pulse available?
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#34 » by Kobblehead » Fri May 7, 2021 1:25 am

That's a shame. Mason Jones actually made a lot of sense to develop. Good mid-range creator with size and shooting ability.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,654

Post#35 » by stormi » Fri May 7, 2021 4:57 am

What do we gain from doing this now specifically.
mithrandir17
Veteran
And1: 1,609

Post#36 » by mithrandir17 » Fri May 7, 2021 5:55 am

Another two way player incoming I guess?
zaz102
Sixth Man
And1: 806

Post#37 » by zaz102 » Fri May 7, 2021 10:51 am

stormi wrote:What do we gain from doing this now specifically.
Good question. You wouldn't take an action like this unless there was a good reason. Either they wanted to cut him loose for some reason or there's a better option out there. If the former, I wonder if well even find out the reason.
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#38 » by LloydFree » Fri May 7, 2021 12:37 pm

stormi wrote:What do we gain from doing this now specifically.

We can sign a veteran player for playoff depth. They can sign someone with up to 3 years in the league, that wasn't on a roster at the cut off date. Gary Clark?

Return to Philadelphia 76ers