Welcome Gary Clark

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Welcome Gary Clark 

Post#1 » by LloydFree » Tue May 11, 2021 9:22 pm

Had a feeling when he was cut last month, that he would be signed by the 76ers.

17 man roster filled.

Read on Twitter
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,800

Re: Welcome Gary Clark 

Post#2 » by Negrodamus » Tue May 11, 2021 9:44 pm

He was an advanced analytics darling coming out of Cincinnati. Seems to be a good defensive player, but he's had some bad shooting stretches. Maybe he'll figure it out with us.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,106

Post#3 » by Kobblehead » Tue May 11, 2021 9:47 pm

I was pretty high on Clark back at Cincinnati. Thought he'd be Draymond without the passing. Been a pretty big disappointment to me.

Jacob Evans, too. Another guy on that team that didn't pan out.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,685

Post#4 » by stormi » Wed May 12, 2021 12:19 am

Not even sure he's better than Mason Jones at this point. But whatever
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,527

Post#5 » by 76ciology » Wed May 12, 2021 6:11 am

Stacking guys to match with big wings. If ever we match-up with the Bucks or Clipps.

Im betting he can shoot. He shoots a lot of 3s based on per 36. Also looks like a good defender.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,739

Post#6 » by phillynative » Wed May 12, 2021 2:42 pm

76ciology wrote:Stacking guys to match with big wings. If ever we match-up with the Bucks or Clipps.

Im betting he can shoot. He shoots a lot of 3s based on per 36. Also looks like a good defender.

Why didnt we just keep james ennis? This guy isnt going to play for us.
Monix
Pro Prospect
And1: 661

Post#7 » by Monix » Wed May 12, 2021 2:49 pm

James Ennis stinks
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#8 » by LloydFree » Wed May 12, 2021 3:48 pm

phillynative wrote:
76ciology wrote:Stacking guys to match with big wings. If ever we match-up with the Bucks or Clipps.

They traded Ennis for a 2nd round pick at last year's trade deadline, because he was out of the rotation. James Ennis fell out of the rotation, because they were playing Thybulle and they already had Josh Richardson to do whatever Ennis could do.

The pick they received was used to select Paul Reed.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
stormi
General Manager

Post#9 » by stormi » Wed May 12, 2021 4:04 pm

I thought Ennis was super underrated. He didn't deserve to be clumped in with that abomination of a bench in 2018/'19 with Mike Scott, Jonah Bolden, Greg Monroe and 21 year old Furkan Korkmaz
76ciology
RealGM

Post#10 » by 76ciology » Wed May 12, 2021 4:15 pm

phillynative wrote:

Thybulle is providing us what we need from Ennis.

My guess is Clark is added for size. He has experience defending Giannis last season during the bubble. I do think we added Tolliver and Clark to give us some depth with wings who has size to defend wings like KD or Giannis and can space the floor.

What i like most about this guy is he’s a guy that is not afraid to jack up those 3s, same mold with guys who fits with Ben like Roco and Dario

Im not saying he’s great or is the answer to our problems. But they’re probably the best out there given what we can offer to guys with our money
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
stormi
General Manager

Post#11 » by stormi » Wed May 12, 2021 4:21 pm

Ennis is better than Gary Clark in every single way. Let's not be silly

He's a nothing player that shouldn't see the floor in any crucial minutes. Like Scott or Tolliver
phillynative
General Manager

Post#12 » by phillynative » Wed May 12, 2021 4:56 pm

phillynative wrote:

Hes better than mike scott, gary clark and anthony tolliver. He was a active defender , knock down the open corner 3 and crash the boards. Its basically what we want those guys to do.
blargh
Pro Prospect
And1: 581

Post#13 » by blargh » Wed May 12, 2021 5:58 pm

Why on earth are we talking about James Ennis, a guy we traded 15 months ago, in this thread? James Ennis has nothing to do with the decision to sign Clark to a 2-way.
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Post#14 » by Foshan » Thu May 13, 2021 12:43 am

In an ideal world we don’t need a 2way pick up in the playoffs. However, he does (from my grand experience of watching one YouTube game lol) seem to know his role to just hack open threes, rebound, and not be a negative on defense... can’t be worse than Scott at this point.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#15 » by 76ciology » Thu May 13, 2021 1:08 pm

Foshan wrote:In an ideal world we don’t need a 2way pick up in the playoffs. However, he does (from my grand experience of watching one YouTube game lol) seem to know his role to just hack open threes, rebound, and not be a negative on defense... can’t be worse than Scott at this point.

Watch it one more time. Close your eyes then increase the volume so you can feel it better.
phillynative
General Manager

Post#16 » by phillynative » Thu May 13, 2021 1:19 pm

blargh wrote:Why on earth are we talking about James Ennis, a guy we traded 15 months ago, in this thread? James Ennis has nothing to do with the decision to sign Clark to a 2-way.

Simple cause we want to.
zaz102
Sixth Man
And1: 806

Post#17 » by zaz102 » Thu May 13, 2021 2:20 pm

phillynative wrote:
blargh wrote:Why on earth are we talking about James Ennis, a guy we traded 15 months ago, in this thread? James Ennis has nothing to do with the decision to sign Clark to a 2-way.

Simple cause we want to.
I don't get it either. It's like saying you'd rather have Jimmy Butler than Gary Clark, it's apples and oranges. Ennis wasn't available as a 2-way player. Plus if we were to trade for him before the deadline, you'd have to cut someone from the roster which he is not good enough for. We're talking about the the 16th guy here.
phillynative
General Manager

Post#18 » by phillynative » Thu May 13, 2021 3:00 pm

zaz102 wrote:
phillynative wrote:

Simple cause we want to.
I don't get it either. It's like saying you'd rather have Jimmy Butler than Gary Clark, it's apples and oranges. Ennis wasn't available as a 2-way player.

These are all end of the bench guys so throwing jimmy butler name in there for comparison doesnt make any since either.
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,543

Post#19 » by SixthStreet » Thu May 13, 2021 3:18 pm

Good break in case of emergency add. Ideally he will play his way in front of any Mike Scott playoff minutes. That's the best case scenario.
zaz102
Sixth Man
And1: 806

Post#20 » by zaz102 » Thu May 13, 2021 5:10 pm

phillynative wrote:
zaz102 wrote:
phillynative wrote:
Simple cause we want to.
I don't get it either. It's like saying you'd rather have Jimmy Butler than Gary Clark, it's apples and oranges. Ennis wasn't available as a 2-way player.

These are all end of the bench guys so throwing jimmy butler name in there for comparison doesnt make any since either.
Point is neither make sense. James Ennis couldn't have taken the 2-way spot either. He would be taking a roster spot from someone (e.g. Maxey, Korkmaz, Reed, etc.) with an actual roster spot.

Best argument for Ennis is probably that they should have traded for Ennis instead of Hill or sign Tolliver, but I wouldn't agree with that either considering he's worse than Hill and Tolliver was a lot cheaper. Also, not sure why you would trade even a minor asset for an end of the bench guy.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers