ImageImageImage

Tyrese Maxey as a Starter Next Season?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

User avatar
sodmoraes
Senior
Posts: 523
And1: 174
Joined: Dec 28, 2004

Re: Tyrese Maxey as a Starter Next Season? 

Post#21 » by sodmoraes » Sun Jun 6, 2021 2:49 pm

Next year i think Maxey wont start but will be the 6th man, like already said. But i think it's important that when he plays he is the pg of the team so he can develop faster. Last game, when Maxey played with Ben, it was usually Ben bringing the ball with Maxey waiting in the corner.

We gotta develop Tyrese as the leading guard , ending this ilusion that Ben is a pg and let the rookie develop.

Sent from my SM-G920I using RealGM mobile app
[quote:bba5df4c1f="hornetstime"]jr smith will be out of this league in 2 years, book it.[/quote]
Negrodamus
RealGM
Posts: 16,675
And1: 7,149
Joined: Aug 05, 2004

Re: Tyrese Maxey as a Starter Next Season? 

Post#22 » by Negrodamus » Sun Jun 6, 2021 3:54 pm

I actually think Maxey will start next year. He is determined to be at least very good in the league and he'll make a substantial jump in the offseason.

Much like Markelle, the most pleasant surprise I've had with Maxey is his improvement on defense, which was a massive red flag coming into the league. With that getting better, he just needs to be a consistent knock down C&S shooter from three and he'll be among the elite young guards in the league.
User avatar
Sixersftw
RealGM
Posts: 16,007
And1: 6,108
Joined: Dec 23, 2006
       

Re: Tyrese Maxey as a Starter Next Season? 

Post#23 » by Sixersftw » Sun Jun 6, 2021 4:38 pm

Negrodamus wrote:I actually think Maxey will start next year. He is determined to be at least very good in the league and he'll make a substantial jump in the offseason.

Much like Markelle, the most pleasant surprise I've had with Maxey is his improvement on defense, which was a massive red flag coming into the league. With that getting better, he just needs to be a consistent knock down C&S shooter from three and he'll be among the elite young guards in the league.


Unlike just about every player we've drafted since Jo, We've seen massive evidence of Maxey improving his deficiencies this season. I wasn't as concerned with the defense but the mechanics of his 3 ball look vastly better. I have high hopes that he starts next year but I think that has more to do w/ Danny's contract status versus any fear that Maxey won't improve upon his weaknesses in the offseason.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
Negrodamus
RealGM
Posts: 16,675
And1: 7,149
Joined: Aug 05, 2004

Re: Tyrese Maxey as a Starter Next Season? 

Post#24 » by Negrodamus » Sun Jun 6, 2021 4:47 pm

Sixersftw wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:I actually think Maxey will start next year. He is determined to be at least very good in the league and he'll make a substantial jump in the offseason.

Much like Markelle, the most pleasant surprise I've had with Maxey is his improvement on defense, which was a massive red flag coming into the league. With that getting better, he just needs to be a consistent knock down C&S shooter from three and he'll be among the elite young guards in the league.


Unlike just about every player we've drafted since Jo, We've seen massive evidence of Maxey improving his deficiencies this season. I wasn't as concerned with the defense but the mechanics of his 3 ball look vastly better. I have high hopes that he starts next year but I think that has more to do w/ Danny's contract status versus any fear that Maxey won't improve upon his weaknesses in the offseason.


Yea, I mean, he's always been a high effort guy, but was still getting toasted at UK against good guards. That scares me since it's not like he has elite length/size to eventually compensate for a lack of defensive instinct. But I'm glad he's figuring out how to be a smart team defender in lieu of being a lockdown man to man defender.

His 3pt shot form still isn't great and I don't really feel encouraged by his pull up 3 ball ever translating, but if he can just hit open shots, then he's extremely valuable. His shot looks more like a one motion stroke, a la Curry but without the same smoothness or consistency as Curry. Kinda hard to get a shot off on good defenders with that form unless your just absolutely insane with a quick release and deadly with your stepbacks like Steph is.
User avatar
Sixersftw
RealGM
Posts: 16,007
And1: 6,108
Joined: Dec 23, 2006
       

Re: Tyrese Maxey as a Starter Next Season? 

Post#25 » by Sixersftw » Sun Jun 6, 2021 4:53 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
Sixersftw wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:I actually think Maxey will start next year. He is determined to be at least very good in the league and he'll make a substantial jump in the offseason.

Much like Markelle, the most pleasant surprise I've had with Maxey is his improvement on defense, which was a massive red flag coming into the league. With that getting better, he just needs to be a consistent knock down C&S shooter from three and he'll be among the elite young guards in the league.


Unlike just about every player we've drafted since Jo, We've seen massive evidence of Maxey improving his deficiencies this season. I wasn't as concerned with the defense but the mechanics of his 3 ball look vastly better. I have high hopes that he starts next year but I think that has more to do w/ Danny's contract status versus any fear that Maxey won't improve upon his weaknesses in the offseason.

...

His 3pt shot form still isn't great and I don't really feel encouraged by his pull up 3 ball ever translating, but if he can just hit open shots, then he's extremely valuable. His shot looks more like a one motion stroke, a la Curry but without the same smoothness or consistency as Curry. Kinda hard to get a shot off on good defenders with that form unless your just absolutely insane with a quick release and deadly with your stepbacks like Steph is.

That what it looks like to me as well. he's definitely raised the release point and it looks less like a modified chest pass. I think the smoothness/quickness will come as he gets comfortable with the changes. When he shoots, it's not slow but you can tell he's not quite comfortable just letting it fly yet.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
rzzzzz
Analyst
Posts: 3,458
And1: 1,053
Joined: Feb 21, 2015
 

Re: Tyrese Maxey as a Starter Next Season? 

Post#26 » by rzzzzz » Mon Jun 7, 2021 1:27 pm

I’ve been enjoying Maxey’s recent coming out party for the team as much as anybody, I think. But leave us face it. Yesterday was not great. I mean I can complain about Doc’s line-up out there when we pretty much gave away the game (before a pretty awesome comeback attempt) but this is one occasion where Tyrese did not seize the opportunity presented him. A hiccup? Needs to get up to speed against a much faster and more talented Atlanta team? I’m sure with Shake still under the weather, or something, he’ll get another chance. Best be ready for it. Or he really will have to wait for next season, while Morey fields offers.
User avatar
Arsenal
RealGM
Posts: 11,290
And1: 6,121
Joined: Jun 05, 2002
Location: Arlington, VA
 

Re: Tyrese Maxey as a Starter Next Season? 

Post#27 » by Arsenal » Mon Jun 7, 2021 1:49 pm

It's pretty obvious we can't rely on him *yet* to carry us. But his trajectory means that we will be able to soon.

I see him taking over Shake's 6th man role next year. Perhaps after we move Shake.

Then starter by year 3.
Ferry Avenue
Senior
Posts: 617
And1: 247
Joined: May 08, 2019
     

Re: Tyrese Maxey as a Starter Next Season? 

Post#28 » by Ferry Avenue » Mon Jun 7, 2021 1:53 pm

Tyreese Maxey should be a starter right now, and that was evident in the Wizards series.
GoSixersBro
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,324
And1: 996
Joined: May 26, 2010
   

Re: Tyrese Maxey as a Starter Next Season? 

Post#29 » by GoSixersBro » Mon Jun 7, 2021 2:12 pm

I'm all in on Maxey. You can just tell the kid has the "it factor" and is making leaps and bounds before our eyes. Not sure I am ready to throw him into the fire as a starter during these playoffs, but I hope the team chooses to move forward with him next season as the primary ball handler to initiate the offense.

Any other players who hamper his progress as well as the team's need to be moved. Time to start building around the players who actually have a high ceiling/future and also a realistic likelihood to lead this team to the next level, rather than hanging on to nostalgic pre-draft comparisons of "the next LeBron".
2021 Floppers
M. Brogdon | J. Wall | D. Garland | T. McConnell
D. Booker | Z. LaVine | J. Harris | T. Hardaway Jr.
L. James | J. Butler | D. Finney-Smith
G. Antetokounmpo | D. Green | A. Horford
W. Carter Jr. | S. Adams
Picks: RD2, RD2, RD3
Hussien Fatal
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,962
And1: 637
Joined: Jul 07, 2006
Location: N-E-W Jers where plenty murders occur

Re: Tyrese Maxey as a Starter Next Season? 

Post#30 » by Hussien Fatal » Mon Jun 7, 2021 4:58 pm

GoSixersBro wrote:I'm all in on Maxey. You can just tell the kid has the "it factor" and is making leaps and bounds before our eyes. Not sure I am ready to throw him into the fire as a starter during these playoffs, but I hope the team chooses to move forward with him next season as the primary ball handler to initiate the offense.

Any other players who hamper his progress as well as the team's need to be moved. Time to start building around the players who actually have a high ceiling/future and also a realistic likelihood to lead this team to the next level, rather than hanging on to nostalgic pre-draft comparisons of "the next LeBron".


Agree with everything you said.

If he was the primary ball handler next year for this team I wouldn’t be upset. I think him initiating the offense with the starters next year would be great. And I would hate to see another player next year like shake or Ghill stunting his growth because of lack of opportunity. This kid has shown enough already as it is.
They call me Hussien Fatal its a two game table im robbin you **** cradle wit a knife in your navel....
Murray_17
Veteran
Posts: 2,856
And1: 2,744
Joined: Mar 20, 2020
   

Re: Tyrese Maxey as a Starter Next Season? 

Post#31 » by Murray_17 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 4:55 pm

Maxey would not be a starter until he gets a jumper, he's currently shooting worse on the playoffs than Mattise for reference.

However there a lot of good stuff to feel about him:

- He's not afraid of creating contact so sooner or later he's gonna start to get calls.
- His efficiency should improve after he get calls, his TS right now is horrendous this post season and he's useless if he's not driving and finishing around the rim
- His finishing around the rim is his biggest skill and he could already be elite at it next year.
- He already vastly improved his defense but he still need to improve in some of his rotations
- He also needs to learn how to play within the team's scheme, he seems to often lose control and this leads to some easily corrected mistakes.
Negrodamus
RealGM
Posts: 16,675
And1: 7,149
Joined: Aug 05, 2004

Re: Tyrese Maxey as a Starter Next Season? 

Post#32 » by Negrodamus » Tue Jun 8, 2021 5:07 pm

Murray_17 wrote:Maxey would not be a starter until he gets a jumper, he's currently shooting worse on the playoffs than Mattise for reference.

However there a lot of good stuff to feel about him:

- He's not afraid of creating contact so sooner or later he's gonna start to get calls.
- His efficiency should improve after he get calls, his TS right now is horrendous this post season and he's useless if he's not driving and finishing around the rim
- His finishing around the rim is his biggest skill and he could already be elite at it next year.
- He already vastly improved his defense but he still need to improve in some of his rotations
- He also needs to learn how to play within the team's scheme, he seems to often lose control and this leads to some easily corrected mistakes.


I don't think it's fair to compare the shooting percentages of a rookie PG who is creating his offense for himself and others to a 2nd year player who is taking wide open assisted threes and getting spoon fed dunks.

The decision to start will likely not be based on his playoff performance and more about who we bring in and how much he improves over the summer.
Murray_17
Veteran
Posts: 2,856
And1: 2,744
Joined: Mar 20, 2020
   

Re: Tyrese Maxey as a Starter Next Season? 

Post#33 » by Murray_17 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 5:14 pm

Negrodamus wrote:I don't think it's fair to compare the shooting percentages of a rookie PG who is creating his offense for himself and others to a 2nd year player who is taking wide open assisted threes and getting spoon fed dunks.

The decision to start will likely not be based on his playoff performance and more about who we bring in and how much he improves over the summer.



Maxey is not handling the ball unless he's on the All bench line ups which is another thing he needs to get better at: Playing off ball. One of the reasons mattise is getting fed dunks is because he cuts to the rim constantly when he's off ball

I agree with your last point, which goes back to my initial statement: He's not a starter without a jumper and i think he has the mechanics to get there
Hussien Fatal
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,962
And1: 637
Joined: Jul 07, 2006
Location: N-E-W Jers where plenty murders occur

Re: Tyrese Maxey as a Starter Next Season? 

Post#34 » by Hussien Fatal » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:06 am

If not traded for an upgrade along with Ben Simmons, I think he will start by next season. he has to.
They call me Hussien Fatal its a two game table im robbin you **** cradle wit a knife in your navel....
Hussien Fatal
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,962
And1: 637
Joined: Jul 07, 2006
Location: N-E-W Jers where plenty murders occur

Re: Tyrese Maxey as a Starter Next Season? 

Post#35 » by Hussien Fatal » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:26 am

Murray_17 wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:I don't think it's fair to compare the shooting percentages of a rookie PG who is creating his offense for himself and others to a 2nd year player who is taking wide open assisted threes and getting spoon fed dunks.

The decision to start will likely not be based on his playoff performance and more about who we bring in and how much he improves over the summer.



Maxey is not handling the ball unless he's on the All bench line ups which is another thing he needs to get better at: Playing off ball. One of the reasons mattise is getting fed dunks is because he cuts to the rim constantly when he's off ball

I agree with your last point, which goes back to my initial statement: He's not a starter without a jumper and i think he has the mechanics to get there


He was in the game handling the ball with the starters in the most important game of the year.
They call me Hussien Fatal its a two game table im robbin you **** cradle wit a knife in your navel....
Black Mage
Analyst
Posts: 3,440
And1: 3,267
Joined: Feb 24, 2017
       

Re: Tyrese Maxey as a Starter Next Season? 

Post#36 » by Black Mage » Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:44 pm

Foshan wrote:I don't think so. Unless the playoffs go REAL bad and they make big moves.

I think Maxey/Reed develop into an off the bench combo that get a lot of minutes, but don't start.

If the playoffs go epically bad, like move Ben bad, then maybe.


I think it could happen if Morey can't find a decent trade or free agent signing (Lowry) to come in to play PG. I think Morey's two main goals are to either find an elite PG or wing creator this offseason and then fill the leftover position with youth that was on the bench this year.
rzzzzz
Analyst
Posts: 3,458
And1: 1,053
Joined: Feb 21, 2015
 

Re: Tyrese Maxey as a Starter Next Season? 

Post#37 » by rzzzzz » Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:50 pm

Hey, the future is now. Can’t let Doc freeze Maxey again after rescuing the season. Start him Sunday. Let Ben play back-up to Biid, cause Howard is struggling his own self.
Ferry Avenue
Senior
Posts: 617
And1: 247
Joined: May 08, 2019
     

Re: Tyrese Maxey as a Starter Next Season? 

Post#38 » by Ferry Avenue » Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:56 pm

Maxey should've been identified as a player who gets big minutes in the Washington series. It became clear at that point that he's the only one who can provide exactly the ingredient this team needs to be competitive in the playoffs. Not giving him big minutes is essentially surrendering the playoffs.

He's young and he needs to improve in some areas, but at least go down swinging as a team by playing him big time. It shouldn't have taken a "backs against the wall" situation like last night to make this move.
User avatar
Embiid P
Analyst
Posts: 3,260
And1: 961
Joined: Nov 07, 2013
     

Re: Tyrese Maxey as a Starter Next Season? 

Post#39 » by Embiid P » Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:06 pm

If Doc played Maxey more in games 4 and 5, I guarantee this series would be over by now. This is the gift and the curse of Shake going off in game 2.
Sportfan73
Starter
Posts: 2,323
And1: 536
Joined: Jun 18, 2015
   

Re: Tyrese Maxey as a Starter Next Season? 

Post#40 » by Sportfan73 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:09 pm

He’s gotta start next year. I’m fine with it being a low min short leash starter type of season for him like 20-25 pre asb and 25-30 post asb. He’s got TWO WAY lead guard potential written all over him

Return to Philadelphia 76ers