ImageImageImage

Tobias Harris Trade Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,142

Re: Tobias Harris Trade Thread 

Post#541 » by Kobblehead » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:41 pm

Tobias probably thinks Neil deGrasse Tyson is the dude that just knocked out Deontay Wilder.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,096

Post#542 » by sixers hoops » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:20 am

Kolkmania wrote:
Stanford wrote:
Kolkmania wrote:Everybody profits from a spaced-out floor of course, however a lineup without Simmons would offer the possibility to play Harris as the PF on offense. It would probably results in less post offense and more P&Rs, drive-and-kicks since he would face a bigger defender.

What position did he play last year?

Always tricky to assign a label, but SF seems appropriate.

Embiid played in the middle, Simmons was the PF who also roamed around the basket. So teams could defend Harris with a smaller wing, with having the lane blocked by all the big defenders of Simmons and Embiid.

Tobias played most of his minutes at PF. Ben played most of his minutes as PG.

Tobias can’t even defend small forwards at this point, and Ben usually guarded perimeter players. Offensively, Ben played his useless perimeter game, along with Seth and Danny, with Tobias at the PF. However, offensively, most plays send two guys to the corners, and depending on the play call, they move from there.

He would occasionally play a few mins at SF, but 90% of his mins came at PF.
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,669

Post#543 » by Kolkmania » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:29 am

sixers hoops wrote:
Kolkmania wrote:
Stanford wrote:
What position did he play last year?

Embiid played in the middle, Simmons was the PF who also roamed around the basket. So teams could defend Harris with a smaller wing, with having the lane blocked by all the big defenders of Simmons and Embiid.

Tobias can’t even defend small forwards at this point, and Ben usually guarded perimeter players. Offensively, Ben played his useless perimeter game, along with Seth and Danny, with Tobias at the PF. However, offensively, most plays send two guys to the corners, and depending on the play call, they move from there.

Well as I said, hard to provide a label on someone in today's NBA, certainly because there is a difference between offense and defense.

I was talking about offense and with Embiid and Simmons clogging the paint, he was forced into a more perimeter-oriented role. He will certainly benefit from being guarded by a bigger and slower guy with a more spaced-out floor.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,096

Post#544 » by sixers hoops » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:54 am

Kolkmania wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:
Kolkmania wrote:

Well as I said, hard to provide a label on someone in today's NBA, certainly because there is a difference between offense and defense.

I was talking about offense and with Embiid and Simmons clogging the paint, he was forced into a more perimeter-oriented role. He will certainly benefit from being guarded by a bigger and slower guy with a more spaced-out floor.

Offensively, Tobias plays way too much in the paint already. Doc said he prefers that Tobias take more outside shots to open things up for Joel, but Tobias is a reluctant outside shooter. When your best player is a center, you don’t want Tobias clogging up the lane for him. I think Joel would benefit from Tobias increasing his perimeter play. Joel has always benefited from playing with stretch fours, especially Ilyasova. I think that was the idea when Elton traded for Harris.
MVP1992
Rookie
And1: 554

Post#545 » by MVP1992 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:33 am

sixers hoops wrote:
Kolkmania wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:

Offensively, Tobias plays way too much in the paint already. Doc said he prefers that Tobias take more outside shots to open things up for Joel, but Tobias is a reluctant outside shooter. When your best player is a center, you don’t want Tobias clogging up the lane for him. I think Joel would benefit from Tobias increasing his perimeter play. Joel has always benefited from playing with stretch fours, especially Ilyasova. I think that was the idea when Elton traded for Harris.

From playing with a dominant big and being a relatively tall PG (could have played SF), having my big with the ball move out to the foul line dragging his defender/s (zone often) with me slashing in fully committed for a hand off/pass worked. Tobias isn't slow in spurts. Once moving he surprises me actually. Don't see it enough though. Same as Simmons.

If only I grew another 8" I'd show you what I mean :lol:
Mr. Biden shot back: “You’ve got more questions? Well, I tell you what, if you have a problem figuring out whether you’re for me or Trump, then you ain’t Black.”
downtownpie
Pro Prospect
And1: 399

Post#546 » by downtownpie » Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:23 am

Tobias for CJ is such an obvious trade. Get it done Morey.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,035

Post#547 » by mjkvol » Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:00 am

downtownpie wrote:Tobias for CJ is such an obvious trade. Get it done Morey.

It always was from the beginning, but Harris is sadly going nowhere. He is clearly seen as a leader and a linchpin who is highly respected by this group, and as tenuous as the psyche of this team is right now, a move like that could be destructive in the locker room.

Having said all that, I'd make the deal in a heartbeat, and make sure I'm selling it to Embiid at the same time.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,940

Post#548 » by Mik317 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:22 am

CJ is just as much of a book nerd leader as Tobias. He;s the PA VP no?
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,780

Post#549 » by Skates » Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:32 am

Also the Blazers are not trading CJ for Tobi.

Honestly, why be mad at the players who carried the team much of the game. Tobi is imperfect, but very good. Embiid is struggling physically, especially after he get kicked/kneed in the last game or the play where the guy fell across the back of his leg. Maxey is learning on the run, but us fearless and will continue to work to improve himself. Seth was great at being Seth, and the bench was not as hot as last game, but Drummond is a defensive beast, Niang is an upgrade with a super quick release who is at least passable and smart on D and Kork deserved way more minutes playing with a guard instead of only as a point guard.

Even with Simmons out they played the Nets tough, their defense is very coherent and no shock, they still lack on ball creators. With both Simmons and Shake out they still played hella good offense through three quarters. The kind of guy Morey is looking for is a creator and closer, and the two guys who complained about the fans played the worst.

Green outright blows right now, slow on D, no prayer on Offense (which Rivers should have seen and not 'trusted' the vet bullcrap), and Simmons, who did not play because he won't and is only thinking about it because he isn't getting paid and Morey said he won't be getting traded on the Klutch timeline. Joe doesn't look quite ready, but he is close, maybe some time against younger teams will let him get a rhythm going. And Doc, well, he did Doc tonight and that was that.

It ain't like the roof caved in and the team didn't get crushed even without a true PG active. The Lakers are a team with major problems, the Sixers are improved in a lot of spots, the Simmons situation is what it is and the biggest concern if really Jo's health and Doc's coaching. We probably win that game with little more than some Ish Smith level PG play down the stretch to be honest, and anything from our SF.
downtownpie
Pro Prospect
And1: 399

Post#550 » by downtownpie » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:07 am

Tobias is the piece that can be moved for CJ that works for both teams. I'd be adding pieces if need be. You want space for Embiid then move Tobias.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,428

Post#551 » by eyeatoma » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:25 am

Stanford wrote:Tobias probably thinks Salman Rushdie is a dish that Danny ordered on Uber Eats and not a British-Indian magic realism author most famous for the novel "The Satanic Versus," for which he was issued a fatwa from the Supreme Leader of Iran, Ayatollah Khomeini, effectively sentencing the author to a life and death sentence for the crime of blasphemy, but also known for his novel "Midnight's Children," which won him the Booker in 1981 and has since been considered one of the most cherished novels of the 20th century.

I mean, the guy just doesn't know his non-fiction authors!
Are you Indian bro, or you just know good books?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,772

Post#552 » by the_process » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:59 am

Just let Tobias ring up another season of empty numbers, and then he only has two years left on that deal.

Have to find a taker for him. And Simmons. Morey has to re-construct the roster this offseason.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,237

Post#553 » by ProcessDoctor » Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:19 pm

Hypothetically, if Ben truly buys back into the team, would you do a Tobias for Kyrie swap?

Kyrie/Maxey/Springer
Korkmaz/Curry/Milton
Green/Thybulle/Joe
Simmons/Niang/Reed
Embiid/Drummond/Bassey
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Payne/Downtin
Maxey/Melton/Hield
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#554 » by mjkvol » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:43 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:Hypothetically, if Ben truly buys back into the team, would you do a Tobias for Kyrie swap?

Kyrie/Maxey/Springer
Korkmaz/Curry/Milton
Green/Thybulle/Joe
Simmons/Niang/Reed
Embiid/Drummond/Bassey

I'd do it even if Ben didn't buy back in. We aren't winning as currently constructed, so the worst case scenario is a complete meltdown and quicker rebuild. But the best case scenario ................ ?
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,799

Post#555 » by stormi » Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:12 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:Hypothetically, if Ben truly buys back into the team, would you do a Tobias for Kyrie swap?

Kyrie/Maxey/Springer
Korkmaz/Curry/Milton
Green/Thybulle/Joe
Simmons/Niang/Reed
Embiid/Drummond/Bassey

If they could get any sort of inkling from Kyrie himself through a private chat or his agent that he'd be willing to play here.... yeah like instantly.

Kyrie is two significant tiers above Tobias Harris.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,477

Post#556 » by JRoy » Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:13 pm

downtownpie wrote:Tobias is the piece that can be moved for CJ that works for both teams. I'd be adding pieces if need be. You want space for Embiid then move Tobias.

POR has zero interest in Harris.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,237

Post#557 » by ProcessDoctor » Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:48 pm

stormi wrote:

Kyrie/Maxey/Springer
Korkmaz/Curry/Milton
Green/Thybulle/Joe
Simmons/Niang/Reed
Embiid/Drummond/Bassey

If they could get any sort of inkling from Kyrie himself through a private chat or his agent that he'd be willing to play here.... yeah like instantly.

FWIW I think Brooklyn would take it in a heartbeat.

My fear is having 2/3 all-stars being unavailable due to character issues, eventually driving Embiid out of town.

Edit: I also believe if Morey gets Simmons to buy in, he'll ship Harris for Kyrie ASAP.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Payne/Downtin
Maxey/Melton/Hield
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#558 » by mjkvol » Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:18 pm

stormi wrote:

Kyrie/Maxey/Springer
Korkmaz/Curry/Milton
Green/Thybulle/Joe
Simmons/Niang/Reed
Embiid/Drummond/Bassey

And that's without even taking into account how perfect the fit would be.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,712

Post#559 » by 76ciology » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:11 pm

Tobi is getting 20-10-5 with 50+% FG%, he’s about to have a career year for us this season.

Tobi wont work without Ben. Ben allows you to make Tobi a winning player because you can hide Tobi’s size with Ben.

If you want to keep Tobi, you need a lengthy 3&D wing. Not Danny Green or Thybulle. Someone like Otto Porter or Keldon Johnson. This also would make you more equip to match up against teams like the Bucks, Lakers and Raptors.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,712

Post#560 » by 76ciology » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:19 pm

3rd quarter 6 min mark onwards.

Sixers run a Tobi-Niang-Biid frontcourt, I can see us running this unit on bigger teams
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers