Tobias Harris Trade Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,509

Re: Tobias Harris Trade Thread 

Post#881 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sun Jan 9, 2022 12:18 am

the_process wrote:
Kolkmania wrote:The same issues the Sixers face with Harris (not enough output to warrant that contract) will prevent any trade to another competing team.
My big worry is that Morey actually sees Tobias as a positive piece (I know Glenn does, but I also don't really care about his opinion). If that is the case, Embiid's career will be wasted.

I think it's more that both Morey and Rivers want to win at all costs and Tobias Harris (love him or hate him) is one of our best options on this team. In no way do I think we are just better without Harris on the floor. He's a starter in this league being paid like an all star. Doc is rolling with Harris because he gives us our best shot at winning games and that is what Doc is being paid to do. How Doc feels about Harris as a fit with the team or if he's living up to his contract is totally irrelevant as far as coaching goes. Doc may not feel like he's a positive piece, but he's really got no other choice. I personally don't think Harris is even tradeable at this time. I don't understand the hate he gets other than...He's being overpaid and asked to do too much and I don't think that is necessarily his fault.
I don't see this as an addition by subtraction type of situation either. We need Tobias Harris to play and to play well in terms of how our current roster is constructed along with our playoff hopes. I don't see us trading him for a number of reasons. Number one being that he's not a distraction to this team in any way shape or form. Harris has been a professional his entire NBA career and that alone is a blessing when you compare him to the childish crap Ben has pulled. Number two, as someone else mentioned, he's a backend starter on any team in this league, he can score, rebound, and isn't a total liability on defense. We could do a lot worse. Number three being that while he isn't the answer to completing this team, he also isn't the problem towards not doing it. That is unless you consider his contract to be a roadblock in which case, that would be Elton Brands fault and not his. I'm specifically speaking about Tobias Harris the basketball player in this instant.
In short, if we were to trade him tomorrow, I personally wouldn't be too upset about it. After about a week, I probably wouldn't miss him at all. I definitely don't think he's a long term fit. As I said earlier, he's way overpaid and a bit overrated. NO, I don't think he's an all star either, but we have no other choice right now but to roll with him.
SixersSince82
Junior
And1: 202

Post#882 » by SixersSince82 » Sun Jan 9, 2022 12:41 am

spikeslovechild wrote:I'll say this again but the issue with Harris mainly is how much he is being paid and the fact we don't have a true 2nd banana next to Embiid.

He isn't a bad player and trading him just to get him off the team doesn't help us in any way.

Agree and disagree.

Absolutely ,Tobias isn't a bad player. He's a slightly above average starter. But I disagree the main issue with him is simply that we don't have a true 2nd banana.

The issue with Tobias is his specific skill set. He rebounds and makes mid rangers when he has the size and strength advantage. That's it. He's a reluctant floor spacer, not a playmaker, doesn't draw fouls or really create many scoring opportunities at the cup. He's not a valuable defensive piece. If the 6ers were able to bring in a true 2nd banana next to Joel, Harris would just represent diminishing returns offensively while providing zero intangibles. At that point his money, even if he were making 25 mil instead of 36 mil, could be spent much more wisely, imo.

So from that perspective, you kinda have to trade Tobias regardless of Ben Simmons status. I mean, if the goal is to eventually build a championship caliber team, as opposed to the current pseudo contender they've been sans Jimmy Butler.

Personally, I think this team has a major retool (around Joel) ahead of itself if it truly wants to compete for titles. The longer they hold off they more they are flushing Jo's career down the toilet.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,728

Post#883 » by the_process » Sun Jan 9, 2022 1:37 am

Kobblehead wrote:Would the Rockets be our dumping ground for Harris?

Harris and Milton

for

Gordon and Wood

Has to be Wall instead of Wood. Which the Sixers should still do.
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#884 » by VDT » Sun Jan 9, 2022 8:05 pm

SixersSince82 wrote:
spikeslovechild wrote:I'll say this again but the issue with Harris mainly is how much he is being paid and the fact we don't have a true 2nd banana next to Embiid.

He isn't a bad player and trading him just to get him off the team doesn't help us in any way.

Agree and disagree.

Absolutely ,Tobias isn't a bad player. He's a slightly above average starter. But I disagree the main issue with him is simply that we don't have a true 2nd banana.

The issue with Tobias is his specific skill set. He rebounds and makes mid rangers when he has the size and strength advantage. That's it. He's a reluctant floor spacer, not a playmaker, doesn't draw fouls or really create many scoring opportunities at the cup. He's not a valuable defensive piece. If the 6ers were able to bring in a true 2nd banana next to Joel, Harris would just represent diminishing returns offensively while providing zero intangibles. At that point his money, even if he were making 25 mil instead of 36 mil, could be spent much more wisely, imo.

So from that perspective, you kinda have to trade Tobias regardless of Ben Simmons status. I mean, if the goal is to eventually build a championship caliber team, as opposed to the current pseudo contender they've been sans Jimmy Butler.

Personally, I think this team has a major retool (around Joel) ahead of itself if it truly wants to compete for titles. The longer they hold off they more they are flushing Jo's career down the toilet.

THat's spot on. Harris needs to be on a bad team scoring as many points as he can. That will be the best for his legacy and bank account. He is not good enough to do it on a good team and he doesnt offer much else really. Still, i doubt we can get something better for him so i dont really mind him at the moment. If we manage to get another star, we need to ship Harris for someone that can defend and space the floor from the 4.
PhillyFan11
Rookie
And1: 444

Post#885 » by PhillyFan11 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:34 am

Would anyone do this for Sixers? How about Indy?

Sixers out- Tobi, Springer, Shake, 2024 lottery protected 1st
Sixers in- Levert, Thad Young, Jeremy Lamb

Pacers out- Turner, Levert, Lamb
Pacers in- Tobi, Vassell, Springer, Sixers 2024 lottery protected 1st, 2 Spurs 2nds

Spurs out- Thad, Vassell, ‘23 and ‘25 2nd
Spurs in- Turner and Shake

Brogdon, Duarte, Warren, Tobi, Sabonis…that’s actually pretty damn solid, keep them 4th/5th in the east for a few years. Does Indy really have bigger aspirations lol? Plus the extra assets…biggest drawback I could see is if it would put them over the luxury tax by a bunch, not sure about that
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,194

Post#886 » by ProcessDoctor » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:13 am

I wonder if Morey intends to use Harris in a S&T for Harden and not Simmons. The question is if Brooklyn would rather Harden walk for free than take on Harris’s deal.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Post#887 » by Foshan » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:23 am

ProcessDoctor wrote:I wonder if Morey intends to use Harris in a S&T for Harden and not Simmons. The question is if Brooklyn would rather Harden walk for free than take on Harris’s deal.

Ive got to think there are at least 20 other teams that would be lining up salary and picks for a S&T that would look more attractive.

It would take a 6 yr pick package with Tobias to get that done. :(
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,546

Post#888 » by SixthStreet » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:26 am

ProcessDoctor wrote:I wonder if Morey intends to use Harris in a S&T for Harden and not Simmons. The question is if Brooklyn would rather Harden walk for free than take on Harris’s deal.

I don't think this would be the case but I've previously posted that Harris will eventually become very valuable salary ballast but I think that will have to be two offseasons from now when he only has one year left. Doubt the Nets will go for 2 years at $38m.

I think if Harris is still here that offseason Morey will be able to turn him into a pretty damn good, maybe star player if we keep our assets.
the_process
RealGM

Post#889 » by the_process » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:06 pm

PhillyFan11 wrote:Would anyone do this for Sixers? How about Indy?

Sixers out- Tobi, Springer, Shake, 2024 lottery protected 1st
Sixers in- Levert, Thad Young, Jeremy Lamb

Pacers out- Turner, Levert, Lamb
Pacers in- Tobi, Vassell, Springer, Sixers 2024 lottery protected 1st, 2 Spurs 2nds

Spurs out- Thad, Vassell, ‘23 and ‘25 2nd
Spurs in- Turner and Shake

Brogdon, Duarte, Warren, Tobi, Sabonis…that’s actually pretty damn solid, keep them 4th/5th in the east for a few years. Does Indy really have bigger aspirations lol? Plus the extra assets…biggest drawback I could see is if it would put them over the luxury tax by a bunch, not sure about that

I can't go for that (no can do).

TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,893

Post#890 » by TGW » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:14 pm

Would the Sixers do Kuzma and Bertans for Harris? I think the overall cap savings is 6 mil over the life of the contracts.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM

Post#891 » by ProcessDoctor » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:00 pm

Foshan wrote:

Ive got to think there are at least 20 other teams that would be lining up salary and picks for a S&T that would look more attractive.

It would take a 6 yr pick package with Tobias to get that done. :(

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Harden have to agree to the team he goes to?

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,903

Post#892 » by mjkvol » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:47 pm

TGW wrote:Would the Sixers do Kuzma and Bertans for Harris? I think the overall cap savings is 6 mil over the life of the contracts.

I sure as hell would. In a heartbeat.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,687

Post#893 » by stormi » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:49 pm

TGW wrote:Would the Sixers do Kuzma and Bertans for Harris? I think the overall cap savings is 6 mil over the life of the contracts.

Without much hesitation.
the_process
RealGM

Post#894 » by the_process » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:52 pm

Yep. Call it in to Silver.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,865

Post#895 » by Stanford » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:52 pm

Bertans' contract is gross and he's pretty unplayable. I know you have to take some **** to get rid of Tobias, but, man...
ProcessDoctor
RealGM

Post#896 » by ProcessDoctor » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:01 pm

That's a huge downgrade in talent IMO. I would probably say no.

I wish we jumped on a Harris-Love trade over the summer.

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
ProcessDoctor
RealGM

Post#897 » by ProcessDoctor » Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:27 pm

There you have it. We finally have a report claiming we are trying to offload Harris.

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
the_process
RealGM

Post#898 » by the_process » Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:14 pm

Read on Twitter
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,903

Post#899 » by mjkvol » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:37 pm

The funniest part of that report is that Atlanta was interested in pursuing a trade for Simmons until the Sixers wanted to include Harris in the deal. Funniest, and saddest.

There must be another Elton Brand somewhere in the league. Mustn't there?
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,215

Post#900 » by eyeatoma » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:48 pm

mjkvol wrote:The funniest part of that report is that Atlanta was interested in pursuing a trade for Simmons until the Sixers wanted to include Harris in the deal. Funniest, and saddest.

There must be another Elton Brand somewhere in the league. Mustn't there?
You just speculating or saw the Atlanta was out?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Return to Philadelphia 76ers