ImageImageImage

Welcome Charles Bassey

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,526

Re: Welcome Charles Bassey 

Post#81 » by 76ciology » Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:46 pm

phillynative wrote:I hope you guys are right about Reed. It seems Doc isn't really high on him. Would like to see him play some spot mins defending against big wings/mobile 4s. Niang and Tobi just aren't going to get it done there.

I dont think Doc isnt high on him. Doc is just using him on the right situations. Like Reed is soft, so he usually pairs him with Drummond. Then he plays Reed a lot whenever we face Siakam and Giannis so Reed can have a feel on what it feels like to defend those two.

Think of how big it is if Reed can slow down Siakam, Giannis and possibly Durant. Its like when Raps added Gasol to neutralize Biid.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,739

Post#82 » by phillynative » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:05 pm

Doc isn't high on young players I get it. The young guys also have to show and prove when they get their turn
Zumramania
Senior
And1: 411

Post#83 » by Zumramania » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:36 pm

76ciology wrote:
phillynative wrote:I hope you guys are right about Reed. It seems Doc isn't really high on him. Would like to see him play some spot mins defending against big wings/mobile 4s. Niang and Tobi just aren't going to get it done there.

I dont think Doc isnt high on him. Doc is just using him on the right situations. Like Reed is soft, so he usually pairs him with Drummond. Then he plays Reed a lot whenever we face Siakam and Giannis so Reed can have a feel on what it feels like to defend those two.

Think of how big it is if Reed can slow down Siakam, Giannis and possibly Durant. Its like when Raps added Gasol to neutralize Biid.

Ok, but why didn't he play the Reed & Bassey duo more in the recent loss against Atlanta? They were doing really well.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#84 » by 76ciology » Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:32 am

Zumramania wrote:
76ciology wrote:

Ok, but why didn't he play the Reed & Bassey duo more in the recent loss against Atlanta? They were doing really well.

Because there’s not much need to play Reed because we’re not facing Siakam or Giannis. We can get more net positive benefits by letting Thybulle or even some shooter with size like Korkmaz play PF

Im not Doc Rivers but thats just my guess.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#85 » by 76ciology » Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:49 pm

Why can’t we just give this guy a bigger role?

14.8PPG per 36
13.3RPG per 36
3.6BPG per 36
20TRB%
9BLK%
2.1 DBPM

This guy can potentially step in and play Drum’s role.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,892

Post#86 » by mjkvol » Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:51 pm

76ciology wrote:Why can’t we just give this guy a bigger role?

14.8PPG per 36
13.3RPG per 36
3.6BPG per 36
20TRB%
9BLK%
2.1 DBPM

Why? Very simple. Our coach hates playing young players unless he has no other choice, as with Maxey.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,599

Post#87 » by FireMorey » Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:28 pm

Is Bassey actually good? I've seen people here hyping him up, and I remember hating the pick at the time because I didn't think he had anything offensively at all. Has he developed offensive game?
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,133

Post#88 » by Arsenal » Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:31 pm

Bassey has shown flashes. He also plays more under control than Paul Reed, who is a bit of a spaz. Better size too for the 5-spot, and still has plus athleticism.

I'd like to see him get a shot at beating out WCS for the backup center role.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#89 » by LloydFree » Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:37 pm

14.8PPG per 36
13.3RPG per 36
3.6BPG per 36
20TRB%
9BLK%
2.1 DBPM

Because there have been zero NBA Championship contenders whos plan was to have 2nd round rookies play meaningful minutes down the stretch and in playoff series.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
UptownPhilly
Analyst
And1: 183

Post#90 » by UptownPhilly » Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:49 pm

LloydFree wrote:

14.8PPG per 36
13.3RPG per 36
3.6BPG per 36
20TRB%
9BLK%
2.1 DBPM

Because there have been zero NBA Championship contenders whos plan was to have 2nd round rookies play meaningful minutes down the stretch and in playoff series.

Agreed. We put too much stock into these unproven guys. They won't get minutes unless it's garbage time. They'll have to earn their stripes. Maxey did. Doc has given Reed, Joe, and Bassey chances, and I can't say I've been blown away by any of them.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,105

Post#91 » by Kobblehead » Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:52 pm

FireMorey wrote:Is Bassey actually good? I've seen people here hyping him up, and I remember hating the pick at the time because I didn't think he had anything offensively at all. Has he developed offensive game?

Wait, why don't you think he has offensive ability?

He averaged over 14 ppg and shot over 75% from the free throw line all three years in college.

Bassey is the total package, IMO.

Scoring ability, rebounding ability, shotblocking ability, free throw shooting.

He's like the perfect big. And it's not like he's some random dude that came out of nowhere, he was the 8th ranked prospect in the 2018 recruiting class.

He's got the skills, production, and pedigree.
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,599

Post#92 » by FireMorey » Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:14 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
FireMorey wrote:Is Bassey actually good? I've seen people here hyping him up, and I remember hating the pick at the time because I didn't think he had anything offensively at all. Has he developed offensive game?

Wait, why don't you think he has offensive ability?

He averaged over 14 ppg and shot over 75% from the free throw line all three years in college.

Bassey is the total package, IMO.

Scoring ability, rebounding ability, shotblocking ability, free throw shooting.

He's like the perfect big. And it's not like he's some random dude that came out of nowhere, he was the 8th ranked prospect in the 2018 recruiting class.

He's got the skills, production, and pedigree.

Maybe I'm misremembering, but I remember him being a big bruising scrapper type with no stretch ability coming out. It's been a while since I've seen him play.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,105

Post#93 » by Kobblehead » Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:59 am

Bassey has pretty good touch on mid-range jumpers. Especially early in his career at Western Kentucky

Freshman year: 34% of his field goals occurred in the mid-range and he shot 41% from that range
Sophomore year: 44% of his field goals occurred in the mid-range and he shot 43% from that range

His free throw percentage speaks for itself, as well.

I think Bassey has excellent pick and pop potential. And pick and roll as well. And post up. I think he's pretty well-rounded offensively. He just doesn't pass well. This biggest hole in his game.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#94 » by 76ciology » Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:03 am

Kobblehead wrote:Bassey has pretty good touch on mid-range jumpers. Especially early in his career at Western Kentucky

Freshman year: 34% of his field goals occurred in the mid-range and he shot 41% from that range
Sophomore year: 44% of his field goals occurred in the mid-range and he shot 43% from that range

His free throw percentage speaks for itself, as well.

I think Bassey has excellent pick and pop potential. And pick and roll as well. And post up. I think he's pretty well-rounded offensively. He just doesn't pass well. This biggest hole in his game.

I wouldnt be surprised if he was highly coveted by our team because he looks like the prototypical big for James. While Drum was added as a cheap valuable trade asset.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,685

Post#95 » by stormi » Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:03 am

Seems like a DLC expansion packed version of Clint Capela. Loves to roll, high energy big that blocks shots and catches lobs, but actually has a touch around the rim, can shoot FT's and has flashed pick and pop potential.

It's like Morey drafted Maxey and Joe with the idea of maximizing Ben/Embiid, and then went into last draft and selected Springer/Bassey with the idea of a Harden/Embiid core. Springer looks like he'll be a fantastic off ball defensive guard if he upticks his shooting volume, and Bassey looks like a huge steal that'll thrive alongside a P&R playmaking savant like a James Harden.
stormi
General Manager

Post#96 » by stormi » Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:15 am

If Paul Reed could ever find that shot, him and Bassey could be a mini twin towers young duo coming off the bench for next season.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/gleague/players/r/reedpa01d.html

I don't think I've ever seen him hit a 3 in the NBA... But he's unconscious in the g-league in all aspects. A career 40% guy on like 4 attempts per game.

It'd be nice to see one of him or Bassey or Joe or Springer (or all four) take a leap next season. They can all be critical rotation players.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#97 » by 76ciology » Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:18 am

stormi wrote:If Paul Reed could ever find that shot, him and Bassey could be a mini twin towers young duo coming off the bench for next season.

I don't think I've ever seen him hit a 3 in the NBA... But he's unconscious in the g-league in all aspects. A career 40% guy on like 4 attempts per game.

It'd be nice to see one of him or Bassey or Joe or Springer (or all four) take a leap next season. They can all be critical rotation players.

I wonder why he is shooting horribly in the NBA, if my memory is right his misses are really bad. Maybe he’s tanking and wanting to play for another team? Hmm..

He can be a Jerami Grant/Christian Woods type player for another team.

If he ever finds his shot, I like the idea of starting him with Embiid.
stormi
General Manager

Post#98 » by stormi » Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:20 am

76ciology wrote:
stormi wrote:If Paul Reed could ever find that shot, him and Bassey could be a mini twin towers young duo coming off the bench for next season.

I wonder why he is shooting horribly in the NBA, if my memory is right his misses are really bad. Maybe he’s tanking and wanting to play for another team? Hmm..

Should just be watching Siakam film all offseason.
FlyingArrow
Starter
And1: 1,432

Post#99 » by FlyingArrow » Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:33 am

76ciology wrote:

Tanking? I don't think players at his level tank anything. He's closer to being out of the league than being a starter. Those types of players have to put forth their best effort all the time.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#100 » by 76ciology » Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:05 am

FlyingArrow wrote:
76ciology wrote:

Tanking? I don't think players at his level tank anything. He's closer to being out of the league than being a starter. Those types of players have to put forth their best effort all the time.

I dont think he’ll be out of the league. Teams like the Pistons, Magic, Pacers or the Hawks would be adding him in less than a minute once he is released.

I’d then expect Reed to play very well without a Jojo centric team.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers