ImageImageImage

Brand or Colangelo, who do fans dislike more?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Who do you dislike more?

Colangelo
81%
Brand
19%

Total votes: 48

Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,855

Re: Brand or Colangelo, who do fans dislike more? 

Post#81 » by Stanford » Wed Sep 8, 2021 12:26 pm

Lou_23 wrote:Jerry Colangelo. It was Jerry Colangelo.

He knows
FlyingArrow
Starter
And1: 1,432

Post#82 » by FlyingArrow » Wed Sep 8, 2021 2:26 pm

mjkvol wrote:
76ciology wrote:I also liked the Jimmy and Tobias deal, both were great return of value that way may never see. Jimmy trade may even be one of the best trades in franchise history by getting a top tier star for two role players.

The “win now” mode by trading for both, was necessary. Teams dont pass that kind of opportunities.

I think in the JJ Redick Podcast, he asked Danny Green about our squad. Danny Green said that the Raps team feared our squad more than the Warriors squad back then (i dont know if he’s factoring KD going down but I do think he is).

I feel like the mistake was after that season we should have tanked instead. Brand just didnt know how this thing works. It’s like a highly volatile stock, once it gets overbought it has to crash and take a breather, accumulate then pump again.

Look at the Warriors squad, after they built that godly team with KD. They crashed hard, took a breather then looks like ready to compete again next season.

It’s a cycle. You can’t just keep competing every year for a decade like the Spurs. It’s just not possible with today’s landscape. Players are too empowered while teams are overpaying to win now like the world is about to end soon.

But there's one huge and obvious difference between the Warriors after Durant and us - they had won three titles and had a run of success like few teams in modern history and their fan base could accept the tank and breather, especially given the severity of Klay's injury.

The Sixers on the other hand had tanked and asked for fan patience for several years, and were just experiencing the 'fruits' of all those years of sacrifice. Telling your fan base you're going to take yet another breather after a loss as excruciating as the Toronto one was would be tantamount to franchise suicide.

Embiid and Simmons were established NBA stars just entering their prime, which is when we should be in 'win now' mode annually. The problem after Toronto wasn't that we continued to go all in, it was the method used and the decisions made to keep the team at championship level.

Allowing Butler to walk, maxing Harris, and bringing in Horford to go 'bully ball' at a time in the NBA where that strategy was doomed to fail were what was done horribly wrong. Having a competent GM and coach that understood how you win in the NBA in this new era at that juncture might have made all the difference, but alas we were done in by people in power who had no business making those kinds of critical, franchise altering decisions.

A GM who was a big guy overvaluing bigs. Hmmm...
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#83 » by Sixerscan » Wed Sep 8, 2021 3:14 pm

76ciology wrote:I also liked the Jimmy and Tobias deal, both were great return of value that way may never see. Jimmy trade may even be one of the best trades in franchise history by getting a top tier star for two role players.

The “win now” mode by trading for both, was necessary. Teams dont pass that kind of opportunities.

I think in the JJ Redick Podcast, he asked Danny Green about our squad. Danny Green said that the Raps team feared our squad more than the Warriors squad back then (i dont know if he’s factoring KD going down but I do think he is).

I feel like the mistake was after that season we should have tanked instead. Brand just didnt know how this thing works. It’s like a highly volatile stock, once it gets overbought it has to crash and take a breather, accumulate then pump again.

Look at the Warriors squad, after they built that godly team with KD. They crashed hard, took a breather then looks like ready to compete again next season.

It’s a cycle. You can’t just keep competing every year for a decade like the Spurs. It’s just not possible with today’s landscape. Players are too empowered while teams are overpaying to win now like the world is about to end soon.

Clearly teams pass on those opportunities because 28 other teams could have traded for Butler or Harris and chose not to.

The issue wasn't so much the trades individually in a vacuum, the issue is making the Butler trade, getting cold feet because of things you absolutely knew about going in (his age, his rubbing certain people the wrong way, his general being Jimmy Butler) then making a whole other big trade for Harris to try to do a do-over. Only it's not a do over because you lost the assets from the first trade all for like 60 games of a player (though to be fair they did at least salvage Richardson out of it).

Teams don't make multiple huge direction-changing trades during a single season season like that. It's a sign of an organization that didn't have its **** together, and it resulted in the organization bleeding assets.
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 10,034

Post#84 » by Murray_17 » Wed Sep 8, 2021 4:34 pm

76ciology wrote:
And if we trade Ben, we’re likely to be involved in the DLo-wiggins deal where we get either DLo or Wiggins and 7th pick for Ben.

Ben signed his max after we let Butler go, so for trades purposes we could have traded him without having to take a max.

More over, handsight and all, but by trading Ben in that moment we could have regained all the assets lost on the Harris trade. And Shamet wasn't as big as a lose as people predicted in the moment the trade happened

Return to Philadelphia 76ers