Moderators: BullyKing, HartfordWhalers, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

stormi
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,237

Re: PBP announcer Kate Scott will replace Marc Zumoff 

Post#301 » by stormi » Sun Jan 9, 2022 3:28 pm

Unpopular opinion:

McGinnis is nothing special.
Kate is also nothing special, indifferent on her. Not sure about this war on words.

I like Alaa actually, he's jovial and seems like an oaf but maybe I've just gotten used to him and his lame jokes and glaring homerific antics.

Jackson, whatever.

None of these guys are great. Zu was the greatest there ever was, and will be and it'll be nothing but disappointment if you're expecting a replacement to grab that torch any time soon.
mjkvol
Rookie
And1: 728

Post#302 » by mjkvol » Sun Jan 9, 2022 3:32 pm

GutUNC wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
Black Mage wrote:Fire Alaa, he's straight trash and Zumoff covered up just how bad he is.

I'll give Kate one more year to see if it's having to work with Alaa that is causing her issues.

Wish Jackson could take over for Alaa, reminds me of when we had Malik Rose who was awesome.

After hearing McGinnis and Jackson, it's pretty clear that they had the perfect team already in house. They wanted a woman, simple as that, which is their prerogative. Malik Rose was great at least partly due to working with a pro like Zumoff. Put Jackson with Kate and unless she settles down the clowning and shouting, it will be much of the same. The PBP announcer sets the tone of the broadcast.

I really don't have any strong feeling one way or another about Kate but why is the assumption that "they wanted a woman"? Why can't they have just made a bad hire instead of believing she's an affirmative action hire?

You may very well be correct. That's just the feeling I had from the moment Zumoff announced his retirement.
mjkvol
Rookie
And1: 728

Post#303 » by mjkvol » Sun Jan 9, 2022 3:43 pm

stormi wrote:Unpopular opinion:

McGinnis is nothing special.
Kate is also nothing special, indifferent on her. Not sure about this war on words.

I like Alaa actually, he's jovial and seems like an oaf but maybe I've just gotten used to him and his lame jokes and glaring homerific antics.

Jackson, whatever.

None of these guys are great. Zu was the greatest there ever was, and will be and it'll be nothing but disappointment if you're expecting a replacement to grab that torch any time soon.

Agree somewhat with this except I think much more of McGinnis than you do and believe he would have eventually grabbed that torch - he's a local guy, highly thought of, and already had a good rep doing radio.

Kate just reeks of the typical ESPN PBP characteristics, and is much more suited to doing games on that network where you're not hearing her on a nightly basis and hyping every game and moment and being part of the broadcast is part of the job. She seems like a very nice person, but professionally she and McGinnis couldn't be further removed.
GoSixersBro
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,160

Post#304 » by GoSixersBro » Sun Jan 9, 2022 4:10 pm

McGinnis is great. I think he's had to be over the top on radio because he's solo. He's essentially having a conversation with himself as opposed to say Merrill Reese who has Mike Quick to bounce his calls, emotions, etc. off of.
2021-2022 Floppers
M. Brogdon | D. Garland | T. McConnell | A. Dosunmu
D. Booker | Z. LaVine | J. Harris | C. White
L. James | J. Butler | A. Coffey | D. Hunter
G. Antetokounmpo | D. Green | A. Horford
W. Carter Jr. | M. Bamba | S. Adams

Return to Philadelphia 76ers