ImageImageImage

PBP announcer Kate Scott will replace Marc Zumoff

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,481

Re: PBP announcer Kate Scott will replace Marc Zumoff 

Post#241 » by GoSixersBro » Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:13 pm

Eyeamok wrote:Zumoff was good. But I will never forget when Ben made a 3 to start the season last year or the year before. And he basically said...he made one now leave him alone ! WTF really ! No announcer is perfect. I think because Zumoff was there for so long he was like a comfortable chair. This is what you know this is what you are used to enjoy it. It's hard for anyone to come in and just replace basically a legend. As other have said give Kate some time let her find her groove. Let's see how she is next season or the season after that.

Lmao loved Zoo, but that "leave him alone" line was baffling. Not how basketball works, and he should be the first guy to know that. Guess he let his personal feelings sneak out on that one.

As for Kate, I think she is what she is, but the network should know after one season, not two or three. Alaa is just as bad if not worse. I'd start fresh next year.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,898

Post#242 » by mjkvol » Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:19 pm

Eyeamok wrote:Zumoff was good. But I will never forget when Ben made a 3 to start the season last year or the year before. And he basically said...he made one now leave him alone ! WTF really ! No announcer is perfect. I think because Zumoff was there for so long he was like a comfortable chair. This is what you know this is what you are used to enjoy it. It's hard for anyone to come in and just replace basically a legend. As other have said give Kate some time let her find her groove. Let's see how she is next season or the season after that.

I don't disagree with the idea of giving her time, but it was more than the 'comfort' thing with Zumoff. It was the use of dynamics, the way the classic announcers called the game, with histrionics saved for really special moments, if then.

Kate is from the school that feels people need to be entertained every moment, thus every play is a huge play. She's far from alone, as that is the rule today, with few exceptions.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,527

Post#243 » by 76ciology » Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:28 pm

I could be wrong, but I think Zumoff is just kidding.

Zumoff is a legend, his role is to make every action be animated. Something Kate struggles with, while Alaa on the other hand couldn’t carry Kate with her struggles so it accentuates both their flaws.

My complain about Alaa or Kate is since both guys will never be as good as Zumoff, they may focus on giving more in game or current NBA insights like from the coaching or player’s perspective of seeing the game instead kind of like how other teams would cover it.

Right now for me, its like two guys who covers collegiate basketball are covering the game which isn’t a good idea IMO because there are a lot of international viewers who does have any idea or don’t care what they’re talking about (like what coach K’s first name) such as me.

If it’s Malik Rose and Kate Scott, that could work for me. Where Malik would give his insights on the game from a player’s perspective and tell the viewers of his experience while Kate Scott doesn’t have to give her limited insights on the game and just focus on animating the game. And Im thinking Marc Jackson could be that guy if we can’t get Malik.

And if Alaa stays, then McGinnis should replace Kate where McGinnis would be able to carry Alaa’s weak commentary skills. Just as how much better the coverage of the game if McGinnis does Kate’s spot when she cover for college football
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#244 » by mjkvol » Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:53 pm

76ciology wrote:
I could be wrong, but I think Zumoff is just kidding.

Zumoff is a legend, his role is to make every action be animated. Something Kate struggles with, while Alaa on the other hand couldn’t carry Kate with her struggles so it accentuates both their flaws.

My complain about Alaa or Kate is since both guys will never be as good as Zumoff, they may focus on giving more in game or current NBA insights like from the coaching or player’s perspective of seeing the game instead kind of like how other teams would cover it.

Right now for me, its like two guys who covers collegiate basketball are covering the game which isn’t a good idea IMO because there are a lot of international viewers who does have any idea or don’t care what they’re talking about (like what coach K’s first name) such as me.

If it’s Malik Rose and Kate Scott, that could work for me. Where Malik would give his insights on the game from a player’s perspective and tell the viewers of his experience while Kate Scott doesn’t have to give her limited insights on the game and just focus on animating the game. And Im thinking Marc Jackson could be that guy if we can’t get Malik.

And if Alaa stays, then McGinnis should replace Kate where McGinnis would be able to carry Alaa’s weak commentary skills. Just as how much better the coverage of the game if McGinnis does Kate’s spot when she cover for college football

I'm no fan of Alaa, but just listen to how much better he is with McGinnis, when the focus is on the game instead of the goofy talk that he and Kate are always engaging in. The PBP person sets the tone, and the tone Kate sets is an unserious one, that of a fan carrying on over every play, almost hi-fiving each other, comments like "now we're talking!" after a basket, and always making themselves a part of the broadcast instead of just calling the damn game, which is sadly a lost art.
bball4life
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,263

Post#245 » by bball4life » Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:30 pm

TTP wrote:I like Alaa and have never had an issue with him like so many others have. He seems extremely friendly and personable, seems to do his homework, and occasionally says some funny things like when he's brutally honest about someone doing something terrible on the court.

I can confrim Alaa is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet in person. Through a connection I have my son and I were down on the court before a Sixer's game a couple years ago. We got to meet Alaa and Zu (who is also one of the nicest guys ever) and Alaa took several minutes to talk to us, ask my son questions and then opened his phone and showed us pics of the thanksgiving turkey he had made a couple days before.

I personally would prefer a little less joking between Kate and Alaa, and I could definitely live with less college references (I would be fine if I never have to hear Duke on Duke crime again in my life). But overall there are definitely worse commentary teams out there. Boston's is atrocious for example. I hope Kate takes it down a notch or two, they cut the jokes in about half and I think they will be fine.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,965

Post#246 » by ankle420breaker » Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:17 pm

Thoughts on MJ in the chair last night?? Have to say I enjoyed his commentary.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
76ciology
RealGM

Post#247 » by 76ciology » Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:27 pm

ankle420breaker wrote:Thoughts on MJ in the chair last night?? Have to say I enjoyed his commentary.

As good as how i thought it will be. No crystal ball needed!

Just cant pair up Kate and Alaa. Kate will be ok with MJ. But you need McGinnis if you want to keep Alaa.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#248 » by mjkvol » Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:03 pm

ankle420breaker wrote:Thoughts on MJ in the chair last night?? Have to say I enjoyed his commentary.

Better than Alaa (not saying a lot, I know), but he's got work to do if this is going to be a full time gig. He's a sharp guy with good insights (for the most part), but he really needs to clean up his diction and slow down a bit and take a breath.
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#249 » by agiaco » Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:02 am

mjkvol wrote:
76ciology wrote:I kind of realize why I dont enjoy Kate Scott and Alaa, while I understand why they paired them together.

Alaa likes to associate anything with Duke. Like he can describe McDonalds as a fast food chain that is owned by his former teammate who has a son who is a friend of coach K and coach K being a Duke coach.

While Kate Scott also likes to say this random player comes from this college.

Im not a local guy and Philly sounds like a place where there are a lot of prestigious universities. So maybe its more of a local taste while people like me who doesnt have background to US colleges gets lost?

I dont mind the college references but I hope they can volume it down a lot more and talk more about the game so it can cater to a broader international audience.

BTW, Marc Jackson, a former NBA player, is he any good on TV?

My dislike of Kate and Alaa has nothing to do with Alaa's Duke ties or any college talk, it's the incessant joking and cackling and Kate's complete lack of dynamics, ala virtually every broadcaster today. Nothing whatsoever to do with being a woman, she just has the tendency of the new breed ESPN broadcaster of making every play sound like it's a game deciding basket, always shouting. She leaves nothing in the bag for the really important moments - a nice play in the 2nd quarter of a blowout game vs. Minnesota is treated the same as a critical big play against the Warriors or Bucks.

I wasn't expecting another Marc Zumoff, but I have little hope of her toning it down. If my wife walks through the room when she's carrying on, she looks at me like "what the hell is that?"

That's exactly it. She is constantly shouting. We don't need every moment to seem as if it's holding the same importance as the final seconds in a tie game. There are instances where it's more applicable early game when something incredible actually happens, but she needs to really relax. I honestly think part of the reason I don't watch the Sixers as intently on league pass this year is because her announcing is really brutal.
Lou_23
Bench Warmer
And1: 725

Post#250 » by Lou_23 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:33 pm

Serena Winters the new Cavs sideline reporter
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#251 » by mjkvol » Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:42 pm

76ciology
RealGM

Post#252 » by 76ciology » Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:37 pm

Lou_23 wrote:Serena Winters the new Cavs sideline reporter

Who’s our sideline reporter? I always thought it was her :lol:
76ciology
RealGM

Post#253 » by 76ciology » Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:39 pm

Why isn’t Marc Jackson having that role Alaa has? He’s clearly better, with or without Zumoff. While I dont think Alaa-Kate Scott works.

Like I said, we need someone who knows the game more than Alaa with Kate. And if we want to stick with Alaa, then we have to replace Kate with someone like McGinnis
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#254 » by mjkvol » Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:30 pm

76ciology wrote:Why isn’t Marc Jackson having that role Alaa has? He’s clearly better, with or without Zumoff. While I dont think Alaa-Kate Scott works.

Like I said, we need someone who knows the game more than Alaa with Kate. And if we want to stick with Alaa, then we have to replace Kate with someone like McGinnis

Networks don't work like sports teams where you just replace people on the fly - other than if someone violated a behavior clause, changes like that aren't made.

Alaa or Jackson, the issue is still Kate. Trust me, let Jackson get the gig and spend a while with Kate, and I promise the joking and non-game talk will be there. She sets the tone, and that is her style, like it or not.

I'm not a fan of any of them, and would love a completely fresh start, but I think we are stuck with Kate unless she hopefully leaves for a better offer. I could see them moving Jackson into the analyst chair, but he has some work to do on his diction and technique if he wants that kind of gig.
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#255 » by agiaco » Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:22 pm

mjkvol wrote:Image

Miss that crew
76ciology
RealGM

Post#256 » by 76ciology » Sat Jan 1, 2022 2:40 am

mjkvol wrote:
76ciology wrote:Why isn’t Marc Jackson having that role Alaa has? He’s clearly better, with or without Zumoff. While I dont think Alaa-Kate Scott works.

Networks don't work like sports teams where you just replace people on the fly - other than if someone is violated a behavior clause, changes like that aren't made.

Alaa or Jackson, the issue is still Kate. Trust me, let Jackson get the gig and spend a while with Kate, and I promise the joking and non-game talk will be there. She sets the tone, and that is her style, like it or not.

I'm not a fan of any of them, and would love a completely fresh start, but I think we are stuck with Kate unless she hopefully leaves for a better offer. I could see them moving Jackson into the analyst chair, but he has some work to do on his diction and technique if he wants that kind of gig.

I think I can live with Jackson and Kate.

I dont think its easy to replace Kate. Problem if Jackson replaces Alaa is it will expose the fact that Kate knows very little about the game. But I think it Jackson can carry their TV duo
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#257 » by mjkvol » Sat Jan 1, 2022 4:05 pm

76ciology wrote:I dont think its easy to replace Kate. Problem if Jackson replaces Alaa is it will expose the fact that Kate knows very little about the game. But I think it Jackson can carry their TV duo

It would be quite easy to replace her, but it won't happen. Only if she leaves for another opportunity.

Kate's knowledge of the game isn't the issue, she knows the game as well as most PBP announcers - that's actually one of the few things I like about her. Is Jackson better than Alaa? Sure, but that's the definition of a back handed compliment.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#258 » by 76ciology » Sun Jan 2, 2022 3:27 am

mjkvol wrote:
76ciology wrote:I dont think its easy to replace Kate. Problem if Jackson replaces Alaa is it will expose the fact that Kate knows very little about the game. But I think it Jackson can carry their TV duo

It would be quite easy to replace her, but it won't happen. Only if she leaves for another opportunity.

Kate's knowledge of the game isn't the issue, she knows the game as well as most PBP announcers - that's actually one of the few things I like about her. Is Jackson better than Alaa? Sure, but that's the definition of a back handed compliment.

I like Jackson, he’s almost as good as it gets for tv analyst for us. Alaa, on the other hand is as worst as it can get except if you have some legend like Zumoff who can carry the team.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#259 » by 76ciology » Tue Jan 4, 2022 8:43 am

Maybe third’s time not the charm..

I was right when I said I feel Zumoff is gonna replace by a female tv person.

I was right when I said it will be better if Marc Jackson replaces Alaa.

I’ll push it further.

We will see Marc Jackson and McGinnis covering the games permanently by this season and by the latest not after next season.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#260 » by mjkvol » Tue Jan 4, 2022 1:19 pm

76ciology wrote:Maybe third’s time not the charm..

I was right when I said I feel Zumoff is gonna replace by a female tv person.

I was right when I said it will be better if Marc Jackson replaces Alaa.

I’ll push it further.

We will see Marc Jackson and McGinnis covering the games permanently by this season and by the latest not after next season.

It was pretty clear that the Sixers and Comcast were determined to hire a woman, that is the prevailing trend and it makes the organization appear 'enlightened' - hell, the Nets have a woman doing analysis on their broadcasts with Ian Eagle.

Other than some sort of behavior clause, announcers are generally not replaced in season, and I still think it's unlikely Kate is replaced unless she leaves on her own. I don't do Facebook or Twitter - is she unpopular among the fan base aside from this forum?

Return to Philadelphia 76ers