PBP announcer Kate Scott will replace Marc Zumoff

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,422

Re: PBP announcer Kate Scott will replace Marc Zumoff 

Post#261 » by 76ciology » Tue Jan 4, 2022 2:06 pm

mjkvol wrote:
76ciology wrote:Maybe third’s time not the charm..

I was right when I said I feel Zumoff is gonna replace by a female tv person.

I was right when I said it will be better if Marc Jackson replaces Alaa.

I’ll push it further.

We will see Marc Jackson and McGinnis covering the games permanently by this season and by the latest not after next season.

It was pretty clear that the Sixers and Comcast were determined to hire a woman, that is the prevailing trend and it makes the organization appear 'enlightened' - hell, the Nets have a woman doing analysis on their broadcasts with Ian Eagle.

Other than some sort of behavior clause, announcers are generally not replaced in season, and I still think it's unlikely Kate is replaced unless she leaves on her own. I don't do Facebook or Twitter - is she unpopular among the fan base aside from this forum?

I have nothing against Kate. She was put in a really bad position in replacing Zumoff. I dont think Kate would have been in a bad spot if she replaces Alaa instead. While people who follow my posts knew for the longest time that i dont enjoy Alaa. I actually felt Marc Jackson and Kate Scott was good or atleast a lot better.

To answer your question, people were very vocal about their dislike on Kate on comment sections in facebook where it showed a highlight and Kate trying to raise her voice to animate the action. People are less vocal now. And I dont believe this rotation of McGinnis and then Marc Jackson and then McGinnis and Marc Jackson was a coincidence.

I watch a lot of games. And the way our team cover the game with Alaa and Kate is the weirdest or the most unique to say it politely, ive seen all over the league in my 3 decades of watching the league. It may be OK for a small group of viewers but I dont think its OK for a larger and more international audience with very little background on the different college and universities in the NBA.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,850

Post#262 » by mjkvol » Tue Jan 4, 2022 2:58 pm

76ciology wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

I’ll push it further.

We will see Marc Jackson and McGinnis covering the games permanently by this season and by the latest not after next season.

It was pretty clear that the Sixers and Comcast were determined to hire a woman, that is the prevailing trend and it makes the organization appear 'enlightened' - hell, the Nets have a woman doing analysis on their broadcasts with Ian Eagle.

Other than some sort of behavior clause, announcers are generally not replaced in season, and I still think it's unlikely Kate is replaced unless she leaves on her own. I don't do Facebook or Twitter - is she unpopular among the fan base aside from this forum?

I have nothing against Kate. She was put in a really bad position in replacing Zumoff. I dont think Kate would have been in a bad spot if she replaces Alaa instead. While people who follow my posts knew for the longest time that i dont enjoy Alaa. I actually felt Marc Jackson and Kate Scott was good or atleast a lot better.

To answer your question, people were very vocal about their dislike on Kate on comment sections in facebook where it showed a highlight and Kate trying to raise her voice to animate the action. People are less vocal now. And I dont believe this rotation of McGinnis and then Marc Jackson and then McGinnis and Marc Jackson was a coincidence.

I watch a lot of games. And the way our team cover the game with Alaa and Kate is the weirdest or the most unique to say it politely, ive seen all over the league in my 3 decades of watching the league. It may be OK for a small group of viewers but I dont think its OK for a larger and more international audience with very little background on the different college and universities in the NBA.

I can't speak for the international audience, but I don't believe the college thing is a big issue here. Why would Kate replace Alaa when he is an analyst and she does PBP? That makes no sense.

I have nothing against Kate, either, other than I don't like the modern ilk of the 'ESPN school' of PBP broadcasters that are all about 'more is more', and she is a classic example. In other words, hype every moment as if it's game changing, treat audiences as if they need to be entertained every single second, and inject yourself into the broadcast instead of letting the game be the thing.

Kate is trying way too hard to ingratiate herself to the local audience, to be a 'Philly guy', so to speak, thus the constant references to local towns and the endless inside jokes - I can see why a national or int'l audience would be turned off.

Replacing a legend was going to be difficult for anyone, but being accepted as an 'insider' is earned and only comes with time, it isn't something you can fake or force. People here can smell a phony a mile away - not that Kate is a phony, but if she doesn't cool down and accept that only time will get her accepted, her time here may well be short.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,476

Post#263 » by GoSixersBro » Tue Jan 4, 2022 3:00 pm

mjkvol wrote:

I’ll push it further.

I turned the Nets-Grizzlies game on after the Sixers-Rockets ended and the woman on the YES network was fantastic. Excellent knowledge, quick, and knew how to keep the commentary flowing without being overbearing. Granted she was a color commentator, but still great at her job.

The fact is, many people called for Kate's job the moment it was announced, which mostly all came from the sexist, mouth-breathing mob. However, this further discredited any criticism of her from anyone AT ALL in the vocal Twittersphere once she took the mic from Game 1, which is also moronic and doesn't promote equality, but instead puts her performance in a bubble of safety because her gender.

The proof is in the pudding and whether Kate was a woman, a man, or a big blue dog in basketball shorts, she's just not it.

Tom McGinnis and Marc Jackson are the duo to go with.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#264 » by mjkvol » Tue Jan 4, 2022 3:13 pm

GoSixersBro wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

I’ll push it further.

I turned the Nets-Grizzlies game on after the Sixers-Rockets ended and the woman on the YES network was fantastic. Excellent knowledge, quick, and knew how to keep the commentary flowing without being overbearing or annoying. Granted she was a color commentator, but still great at her job.

The fact is, many people called for Kate's job the moment it was announced, which mostly all came from the sexist, mouth-breathing mob. However, this further discredited any criticism of her from anyone AT ALL in the vocal Twittersphere once she took the mic from Game 1, which is also moronic and doesn't promote equality, but instead puts her performance in a bubble of safety because her gender.

The proof is in the pudding and whether Kate's was a woman, a man, or a big blue dog in basketball shorts, she's just not it.

Tom McGinnis and Marc Jackson are the duo to go with.

I fell into the instant criticism thing, although I don't believe I'm a "mouth breather". I've just not yet heard a woman PBP announcer that I've liked, although to be honest there are very few modern announcers (I call it the ESPN school), man or woman, that I have any use for, as they tend to be shouters and inject themselves into every broadcast, which goes against everything a PBP pro would ever do.

After being justly called out here, I decided to sit back and give her a shot, but she has turned out to be right out of that 'ESPN school' - shouting, hyping every moment, and annoyingly injecting herself and a willing Alaa into the broadcast trying so hard to be accepted by the local audience. It has zero to do with her gender, she is just more suited to calling national games on ESPN. Her knowledge of the game is actually really good, but that is about her only attribute as far as being a local PBP person here.

By the way, I agree on the Nets announcer, and it helps that she is working with a solid pro like Ian Eagle.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#265 » by 76ciology » Wed Jan 5, 2022 4:03 am

mjkvol wrote:
76ciology wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

I can't speak for the international audience, but I don't believe the college thing is a big issue here. Why would Kate replace Alaa when he is an analyst and she does PBP? That makes no sense.

I have nothing against Kate, either, other than I don't like the modern ilk of the 'ESPN school' of PBP broadcasters that are all about 'more is more', and she is a classic example. In other words, hype every moment as if it's game changing, treat audiences as if they need to be entertained every single second, and inject yourself into the broadcast instead of letting the game be the thing.

Kate is trying way too hard to ingratiate herself to the local audience, to be a 'Philly guy', so to speak, thus the constant references to local towns and the endless inside jokes - I can see why a national or int'l audience would be turned off.

Replacing a legend was going to be difficult for anyone, but being accepted as an 'insider' is earned and only comes with time, it isn't something you can fake or force. People here can smell a phony a mile away - not that Kate is a phony, but if she doesn't cool down and accept that only time will get her accepted, her time here may well be short.

But she can’t run away with it because she can only respond with depth when Alaa talks about non-Sixers stuff with her (college or local). Its something Zumoff can respond naturally with (being a local guy and broad general knowledge because of experience) and can quickly brush it off if corny.

What I dont understand is why is Marc Jackson not replacing Alaa. Jackson is clearly better. I think this will happen by next season.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,750

Post#266 » by Negrodamus » Wed Jan 5, 2022 11:01 am

Negrodamus wrote:Oh boy, I'm sure the Sixers fan base will be accepting this hire with grace and enthusiasm.

Update:

Read on Twitter
?s=21
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#267 » by mjkvol » Wed Jan 5, 2022 11:50 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:Oh boy, I'm sure the Sixers fan base will be accepting this hire with grace and enthusiasm.

Update:

Read on Twitter
?s=21

An unfortunate after effect of that kind of garbage is that any criticism is seen as 'sexist', and thus null and void. Kate gets "mean messages", which only idiots would send (sadly, there are more and more of them), but it also insulates her from any legitimate criticism.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#268 » by Negrodamus » Thu Jan 6, 2022 3:06 am

mjkvol wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

Update:

Read on Twitter
?s=21

An unfortunate after effect of that kind of garbage is that any criticism is seen as 'sexist', and thus null and void. Kate gets "mean messages", which only idiots would send (sadly, there are more and more of them), but it also insulates her from any legitimate criticism.

I know we can offer her “legitimate criticism”, but should we?

And there’s a difference between offering constructive criticism and have a dip **** 23 year old with their ape nft profile pic ripping on her because it’s funny to be an edge lord. That shouldn’t be conflated.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#269 » by mjkvol » Thu Jan 6, 2022 3:25 am

Negrodamus wrote:

And there’s a difference between offering constructive criticism and have a dip **** 23 year old with their ape nft profile pic ripping on her because it’s funny to be an edge lord. That shouldn’t be conflated.

Obviously.

So you're saying that she should be above legitimate criticism?

Any new announcer taking over a gig, be it locally or nationally, who is replacing an icon, is going to be scrutinized and criticized and should expect it. And being that there are a lot of idiots on the internet there will naturally be some of that. But Kate should get a free ride? Sounds a bit sexist.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#270 » by Negrodamus » Thu Jan 6, 2022 4:20 am

mjkvol wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

Obviously.

Any new announcer taking over a gig, be it locally or nationally, who is replacing an icon, is going to be scrutinized and criticized and should expect it. And being that there are a lot of idiots on the internet there will naturally be some of that. But Kate should get a free ride? Sounds a bit sexist.

I don’t know what you’re talking about. I never said she should be above criticism. She should not be harassed because she’s a woman announcer. I know you said “obviously” but I don’t think you’ve made the distinction.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#271 » by mjkvol » Thu Jan 6, 2022 4:30 am

Negrodamus wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

Obviously.

I don’t know what you’re talking about. I never said she should be above criticism. She should not be harassed because she’s a woman announcer. I know you said “obviously” but I don’t think you’ve made the distinction.

I've made the distinction very clearly in multiple posts throughout this thread, but you have parachuted in with an agenda and I'm not about to feel as if I have to defend myself.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#272 » by Negrodamus » Thu Jan 6, 2022 4:50 am

mjkvol wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
Obviously.

I've made the distinction very clearly in multiple posts throughout this thread, but you have parachuted in with an agenda and I'm not about to feel as if I have to defend myself.

If you can believe it, my initial post wasn’t directed towards you. So you can take the advice of my response to you and post nothing at all leaving nothing for you to “defend”.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#273 » by mjkvol » Thu Jan 6, 2022 5:11 am

Negrodamus wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

If you can believe it, my initial post wasn’t directed towards you. So you can take the advice of my response to you and post nothing at all leaving nothing for you to “defend”.

Whatever that means. Listen, if we were talking about a man replacing a legend, there would be no discussion of whether or not his performance should be scrutinized. If women are to be treated as equals with regard to getting these positions, shouldn't they be treated as equals with regard to judging their performance? The question is rhetorical, because any answer other than 'yes' is absurd.

Have a nice night.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#274 » by 76ciology » Thu Jan 6, 2022 5:18 am

If you want to be shielded from criticisms, then don’t be a public figure. This also applies to Ben Simmons.

Just be understanding that everyone conveys messages differently. Most of it are said out of negative emotions like jealousy, frustration or anger, so they won’t be formally constructed to consider how you feel. And if you think the criticisms are irrelevant or lack merit, then disregard it.

Im also in the service industry. And my golden rule in service has always been about putting the people you serve above yourself. And anytime you put yourself (your emotion) above the ones you serve (their emotion), then you’re not giving a good service.

And like it or not, as a TV announcer your performance depends on how well you serve the viewers.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#275 » by Negrodamus » Thu Jan 6, 2022 5:34 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21

This is the “criticism” that prompted her tweet. That doesn’t get sent to a man taking over for a legend.

The insertion of legitimate or normal criticism to this iteration of the conversation is a mechanism to detract from the original point: some Philly fans, unsurprisingly, have an issue with a woman (not just anyone) taking over for Zumoff.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#276 » by 76ciology » Thu Jan 6, 2022 5:47 am

Negrodamus wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

This is the “criticism” that prompted her tweet. That doesn’t get sent to a man taking over for a legend.

The insertion of legitimate or normal criticism to this iteration of the conversation is a mechanism to detract from the original point: some Philly fans, unsurprisingly, have an issue with a woman (not just anyone) taking over for Zumoff.

Then consider that it’s really an issue and not something that people will just overlook and forget then adjust your performance accordingly.

The more you try to tell people to not make it a gender issue, the more it will be a gender issue. If I tell you to not think of an elephant, your brain will not stop thinking of an elephant. And the more I tell you not to think about an elephant, the more you will think about the elephant. Thats just how our brain works.

Like I said, some people are just more informal or emotional on how they convey their messages. And that’s what you signed up for once you become a public figure that gets the attention of a wide variety of audience.

You can’t tell people that “hi, this is the format i want you to send me in case you want to criticize me.” And if they can’t handle it, then just dont look at their messages. Even most of the NBA players don’t browse social media to not hurt their feelings.

And lastly, If Doris Burke replaced Zumoff or Doris Burke was in place of Mines, I dont think they also would get those kind of criticisms. And if Alaa replaces Doris Burke, I think he will also get way worse criticisms.

It’s not a gender issue. It’s a performance issue.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#277 » by Negrodamus » Thu Jan 6, 2022 7:35 am

76ciology wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Then consider that it’s really an issue and not something that people will just overlook and forget then adjust your performance accordingly.

The more you try to tell people to not make it a gender issue, the more it will be a gender issue. If I tell you to not think of an elephant, your brain will not stop thinking of an elephant. And the more I tell you not to think about an elephant, the more you will think about the elephant. Thats just how our brain works.

Like I said, some people are just more informal or emotional on how they convey their messages. And that’s what you signed up for once you become a public figure that gets the attention of a wide variety of audience.

You can’t tell people that “hi, this is the format i want you to send me in case you want to criticize me.” And if they can’t handle it, then just dont look at their messages. Even most of the NBA players don’t browse social media to not hurt their feelings.

And lastly, If Doris Burke replaced Zumoff or Doris Burke was in place of Mines, I dont think they also would get those kind of criticisms. And if Alaa replaces Doris Burke, I think he will also get way worse criticisms.

Incorrect. If you think Doris Burke didn’t slogs through endless pits of garbage reaction from men when she started covering NBA games, you’d be naive. Search “Doris Burke sexism” for some leisure reading.

Additionally, this is the first time I’m seeing her reference sexism during this position. This isn’t a constant cry for help on her end, in spite of what the current thread would suggest. I don’t think it’s fair to dismiss her now just because she has brought it up or to finger wag since she didn’t shut up and announce.

I don’t know, wouldn’t you find it annoying, or at the very least weird, if half your posts were replied dismissing your opinion because you’re not American? Wouldn’t that be a silly qualifier to constantly have to address?
76ciology
RealGM

Post#278 » by 76ciology » Thu Jan 6, 2022 7:49 am

Negrodamus wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Incorrect. If you think Doris Burke didn’t slogs through endless pits of garbage reaction from men when she started covering NBA games, you’d be naive. Search “Doris Burke sexism” for some leisure reading.

Additionally, this is the first time I’m seeing her reference sexism during this position. This isn’t a constant cry for help on her end, in spite of what the current thread would suggest. I don’t think it’s fair to dismiss her now just because she has brought it up or to finger wag since she didn’t shut up and announce.

I don’t know, wouldn’t you find it annoying, or at the very least weird, if half your posts were replied dismissing your opinion because you’re not American? Wouldn’t that be a silly qualifier to constantly have to address?

I didn’t say Doris Burke didn’t received Sexism comments.

I was pointing out a hypothetical case where I dont think Doris Burke would be receiving sexism comments if she was replacing Kate Scott or Zumoff.

And to point it further im saying i dont think it would be that case because I believe Burke is far better than both Mines and Scott. And even said Alaa will receive worse criticisms if he replaces Doris Burke given how much inferior Alaa is as an analyst to Doris Burke.

Yes, Burke received Sexism comments back then but it doesn’t mean she will continue to receive it on all situations. And I dont think it will be that if she was replacing Kate Scott or Zumoff.

bottomline, McGinnis and/or Marc Jackson are doing a better job than Alaa and/or Kate Scott. Not because of their gender but because of their peformance.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#279 » by Negrodamus » Thu Jan 6, 2022 7:56 am

76ciology wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
76ciology wrote:

I didn’t say Doris Burke received Sexism comments.

I was pointing out a hypothetical case where I dont think Doris Burke would be receiving sexism comments if she was replacing Kate Scott or Zumoff.

And to point it further im saying i dont think it would be that case because Burke I believe Burke is far better than both Mines and Scott.

Yes, Burke received Sexism comments back then but it doesn’t mean she will continue to receive it on all situations. And I dont think it will be that if she was replacing Kate Scott or Zumoff.

And lastly, bottomline, McGinnis and/or Marc Jackson are doing a better job than Alaa and/or Kate Scott. Not because of their gender but because of their peformance.

So, by that logic, Burke received sexist comments earlier in her career because she was performing poorly? I suppose Kate Scott will eventually improve her craft till she’s at Burke level and then, and only then, will she be relieved of sexist criticism.

Meanwhile, Alaa’s comment box is “you talk too much about Duke” or “you go off on too many silly tangents”.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#280 » by 76ciology » Thu Jan 6, 2022 8:23 am

Negrodamus wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

I didn’t say Doris Burke received Sexism comments.

And to point it further im saying i dont think it would be that case because Burke I believe Burke is far better than both Mines and Scott.

And lastly, bottomline, McGinnis and/or Marc Jackson are doing a better job than Alaa and/or Kate Scott. Not because of their gender but because of their peformance.

So, by that logic, Burke received sexist comments earlier in her career because she was performing poorly? I suppose Kate Scott will eventually improve her craft till she’s at Burke level and then, and only then, will she be relieved of sexist criticism.

Meanwhile, Alaa’s comment box is “you talk too much about Duke” or “you go off on too many silly tangents”.

Burke received sexist comments earlier in her career because she was performing poorly?

Very likely yes this is given that her career trajectory has gone up since she first started and she pointed those sexist comments only during her early years.

I suppose Kate Scott will eventually improve her craft till she’s at Burke level and then, and only then, will she be relieved of sexist criticism.

Yes, same with Doris Burke. And if she would be strong enough and view things constructively on how to improve his career then she may one day be as good as Doris Burke, who IMO is one of the greatest ones who has covered the game.

I dont wish the critisms to be sexists but I do acknowledge that not everyone is formal or educated enough to convey their thoughts or how they feel.

Which is OK if he’s covering Duke Basketball on TV. But i’d rather have Marc Jackson or Malik Rose who knows more on NBA, which is the league he is covering.

We may agree to disagree but all i can say is just look at the results. Its the first time we discuss displeasure over someone covering the game here nor is the first time I saw so much displeasure from viewers (even local guys) in how the game is covered.

These are also just my subjective opinion and I could be wrong with all these

Return to Philadelphia 76ers