ImageImageImage

PBP announcer Kate Scott will replace Marc Zumoff

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 10,034

Re: PBP announcer Kate Scott will replace Marc Zumoff 

Post#61 » by Murray_17 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:35 pm

Iverson Armband wrote:Since none of us have heard her call a full game, nobody can say how she’ll perform with any degree of certainty either way. I mean, that’s pretty obvious stuff.

Which is why no one is outright saying she's gonna be amazing at it....

Iverson Armband wrote:From what I have heard, I’m not a fan and it has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that she is a woman. Now with that being said, it certainly doesn’t mean she won’t be great when she starts in the fall, but folks are allowed to have an early opinion without being chastised or labeled for it. It’s a message board.

You have a right to have an opinion and i have a right to make fun of it if i found it funny. It's a message board.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#62 » by Sixerscan » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:52 pm

GoSixersBro wrote:I think most Sixers fans would be disappointed with even any male that succeeded Zumoff. He was that good.

I think she deserves a chance. I also don’t think it’s bad if you prefer a sports commentator to be a male.

Half joking, but would I be sexist to walk out of a massage because a male masseuse was assigned to me? Idk why, but I’d much rather be given a massage by a woman. There’s just a preference when it comes to some professions.

Sure, there's a preference, I would say the larger issue is more that society has conditioned people to consider some professions/roles male and some female, and the male positions are disproportionately superior to the female ones. Like I bet fewer people have issues with male doctors than male masseuses, even if the doctor is touching the same stuff.

I don't get the inherent benefit being male gives you when it comes to announcing what happens during a basketball game. Like it's not manual labor or something. It just seems pretty obvious that people prefer men doing it because they're used to men doing it and as women do it more it will seem less weird. Like there was a time when it was weird for a woman to be on a local news show and stuff like that and now it's considered normal. Obviously all this stuff evolves over time, people are more ok with female doctors now, etc.
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,480

Post#63 » by GoSixersBro » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:07 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
GoSixersBro wrote:I think most Sixers fans would be disappointed with even any male that succeeded Zumoff. He was that good.

I think she deserves a chance. I also don’t think it’s bad if you prefer a sports commentator to be a male.

Half joking, but would I be sexist to walk out of a massage because a male masseuse was assigned to me? Idk why, but I’d much rather be given a massage by a woman. There’s just a preference when it comes to some professions.

Sure, there's a preference, I would say the larger issue is more that society has conditioned people to consider some professions/roles male and some female, and the male positions are disproportionately superior to the female ones. Like I bet fewer people have issues with male doctors than male masseuses, even if the doctor is touching the same stuff.

I don't get the inherent benefit being male gives you when it comes to announcing what happens during a basketball game. Like it's not manual labor or something. It just seems pretty obvious that people prefer men doing it because they're used to men doing it and as women do it more it will seem less weird. Like there was a time when it was weird for a woman to be on a local news show and stuff like that and now it's considered normal. Obviously all this stuff evolves over time, people are more ok with female doctors now, etc.

I agree with all your points. As for sports commentators, sometimes I get annoyed with any of them. I wish there was an option to just listen to the sounds of the players, refs, coaches, etc. like how it is when you're at the arena. I can tell you it doesn't matter which gender you are, there are plenty of people who's voice I can't stand. Ryan Ruocco for some reason is one of them. Maybe he will grow on me, but I doubt it.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,886

Post#64 » by mjkvol » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:49 pm

Careful, logic and common sense are dangerous attributes. This is my viewpoint perfectly put.

Although I'm not sure anyone deserves anything - you earn a position and then if you are competent the feedback will reflect that.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#65 » by mjkvol » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:58 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
Murray_17 wrote:

I mean, none of you have give any reason for she being bad outside of being a women.... What do you expect we're gonna guess?

I'll admit to being old school with regard to preferring a guy, but to this day I've yet to hear a woman PBP announcer that's even okay.
Truth be told, there are only a small handful of announcers, period, that I enjoy any more. The emphasis on non-stop talk has ruined the industry IMO.

Guys like Nantz and (shockingly) Buck were excellent in the early part of their careers, learning from Summerall and Jack Buck the art of allowing the game to breathe, to let the picture and the setting tell the story, not to beat everything to death. They're all calling TV games as if it's radio today, and not even doing that very well.

Zumoff was brilliant, one of the last of a rare breed of PBP guys that knew how to paint a picture without suffocating it, and with a true sense of humor. He was always going to be impossible to ever replace.

This is the equivalent of getting mad at people for calling you obese but admitting you weigh 300 pounds... what do you think the word sexism means? Like if you think that's ok or justifiable for whatever reason fine, I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise and I agree whether or not a professional announcer is enjoyable is mostly subjective, but you're literally saying you discriminate on the basis of sex here.

And I don't know you and I'm certainly not saying anyone that prefers male announcers over female announcers are bad people or anything, I'm just asking you to consider for a moment why that might be.

Why does it have to be 'sexist' to have a preference based on a lifetime of watching sports and hearing it done a certain way? Why does 'discrimination' come into it? The analogy to a masseuse is a good one, but it could be a doctor, lawyer, accountant, whatever - why can't people have a right to a preference any more without being labeled as an -ist or -phobe?

For what it's worth, I prefer sideline reporters to be women, okay? The position itself might be absurd, and just a way to add even more blather to already over-blathered broadcasts, but I find that women seem to do a better job. Is that reverse sexism?
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#66 » by mjkvol » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:03 pm

GoSixersBro wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:

I agree with all your points. As for sports commentators, sometimes I get annoyed with any of them. I wish there was an option to just listen to the sounds of the players, refs, coaches, etc. like how it is when you're at the arena. I can tell you it doesn't matter which gender you are, there are plenty of people who's voice I can't stand. Ryan Ruocco for some reason is one of them. Maybe he will grow on me, but I doubt it.

Similar point to the one I made earlier. Most of them are over-talking shouters, but that seems to be what the networks want in an age of short attention spans, to make every moment into an "epic" one. There's no such thing as great calls of big moments any more, as every moment is now a big one.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#67 » by Sixerscan » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:52 pm

mjkvol wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
I'll admit to being old school with regard to preferring a guy, but to this day I've yet to hear a woman PBP announcer that's even okay.
Truth be told, there are only a small handful of announcers, period, that I enjoy any more. The emphasis on non-stop talk has ruined the industry IMO.

Guys like Nantz and (shockingly) Buck were excellent in the early part of their careers, learning from Summerall and Jack Buck the art of allowing the game to breathe, to let the picture and the setting tell the story, not to beat everything to death. They're all calling TV games as if it's radio today, and not even doing that very well.

Zumoff was brilliant, one of the last of a rare breed of PBP guys that knew how to paint a picture without suffocating it, and with a true sense of humor. He was always going to be impossible to ever replace.

This is the equivalent of getting mad at people for calling you obese but admitting you weigh 300 pounds... what do you think the word sexism means? Like if you think that's ok or justifiable for whatever reason fine, I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise and I agree whether or not a professional announcer is enjoyable is mostly subjective, but you're literally saying you discriminate on the basis of sex here.

And I don't know you and I'm certainly not saying anyone that prefers male announcers over female announcers are bad people or anything, I'm just asking you to consider for a moment why that might be.

Why does it have to be 'sexist' to have a preference based on a lifetime of watching sports and hearing it done a certain way? Why does 'discrimination' come into it? The analogy to a masseuse is a good one, but it could be a doctor, lawyer, accountant, whatever - why can't people have a right to a preference any more without being labeled as an -ist or -phobe?

For what it's worth, I prefer sideline reporters to be women, okay? The position itself might be absurd, and just a way to add even more blather to already over-blathered broadcasts, but I find that women seem to do a better job. Is that reverse sexism?

Are you asking me why words mean what they mean? Sexism mean discrimination on the basis of sex. If you want your doctor to be a man you are discriminating on the basis of sex. You have a right to make your choices and people have a right to label you accordingly just like you are labeling the female doctor inferior because she is a woman.

Again your question is "why are people allowed to call me obese if I weigh 300 pounds?"

The announcer/sideline reporter is a great example of my point above, isn't it just so convenient that the announcer job is a "male" job and the sideline reporter is a "female" job and the announcer job is much bigger, higher profile and gets paid more. Why do you think those respective jobs evolved in that way?
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,753

Post#68 » by Sixersftw » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:59 pm

mjkvol wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

Its the text book definition of an "ist" as you put it. You took a negative view of her ability to be the PBP based purely on her sex. As Sixerscan said, no one is trying to change your mind but I just wanted point it out.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,753

Post#69 » by Sixersftw » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:59 pm

Sixerscan wrote:Sexism mean discrimination on the basis of race.

Sir, you got me **** up.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#70 » by Sixerscan » Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:14 pm

Sixersftw wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:Sexism mean discrimination on the basis of race.

Sir, you got me **** up.

Lol I’ll fix that
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,859

Post#71 » by Stanford » Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:55 pm

Stanford wrote:uh oh
Iverson Armband
Starter
And1: 1,589

Post#72 » by Iverson Armband » Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:59 pm

Murray_17 wrote:
Iverson Armband wrote:Since none of us have heard her call a full game, nobody can say how she’ll perform with any degree of certainty either way. I mean, that’s pretty obvious stuff.

Which is why no one is outright saying she's gonna be amazing at it....

Iverson Armband wrote:From what I have heard, I’m not a fan and it has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that she is a woman. Now with that being said, it certainly doesn’t mean she won’t be great when she starts in the fall, but folks are allowed to have an early opinion without being chastised or labeled for it. It’s a message board.

You have a right to have an opinion and i have a right to make fun of it if i found it funny. It's a message board.

Sure, if a simple difference of opinion is that funny to you and you want to operate like a middle schooler, that’s certainly within your right.
always a jump shot away.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#73 » by mjkvol » Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:05 am

Sixerscan wrote:The announcer/sideline reporter is a great example of my point above, isn't it just so convenient that the announcer job is a "male" job and the sideline reporter is a "female" job and the announcer job is much bigger, higher profile and gets paid more. Why do you think those respective jobs evolved in that way?

Too predictable. I used that example precisely because it was inevitable that would be the response. Everything in life is about what group is being 'victimized' in any situation? Everything must be 'racism' or 'sexism', or some other victim group, even a discussion about the damn PBP announcer for a basketball team? Damn, I'd hate to go through life where every discussion came back to which victim group was being aggrieved.

You got me, okay? I'd prefer that the PBP announcer for my basketball team is a male. But hey, on the bright side, the skin color doesn't matter.
GoSixersBro
Head Coach

Post#74 » by GoSixersBro » Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:26 am

mjkvol wrote:
GoSixersBro wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:

Similar point to the one I made earlier. Most of them are over-talking shouters, but that seems to be what the networks want in an age of short attention spans, to make every moment into an "epic" one. There's no such thing as great calls of big moments any more, as [b]every moment is now a big one.[/b]

Holy ****, I think you just unintentionally helped me realize what I can't stand about Ruocco. Dude would act like it was Game 7 of the Finals while calling an AND1 in the first quarter of a Christmas day afternoon game between the Nets and Celtics.

Thank you.
Here Lies The Process
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#75 » by Sixerscan » Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:31 am

mjkvol wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:The announcer/sideline reporter is a great example of my point above, isn't it just so convenient that the announcer job is a "male" job and the sideline reporter is a "female" job and the announcer job is much bigger, higher profile and gets paid more. Why do you think those respective jobs evolved in that way?

Too predictable. I used that example precisely because it was inevitable that would be the response. Everything in life is about what group is being 'victimized' in any situation? Everything must be 'racism' or 'sexism', or some other victim group, even a discussion about the damn PBP announcer for a basketball team? Damn, I'd hate to go through life where every discussion came back to which victim group was being aggrieved.

You got me, okay? I'd prefer that the PBP announcer for my basketball team is a male. But hey, on the bright side, the skin color doesn't matter.

Well yeah it was basically exactly what I already said in the post you quoted before this, congrats on “predicting” that.

You’re the one asking why discriminating for one sex over the other is sexism man. Like this isn’t “everything” you’re literally doing what the word means.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#76 » by mjkvol » Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:47 am

Sixerscan wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

Well yeah it was basically exactly what I already said in the post you quoted before this, congrats on “predicting” that.

You’re the one asking why discriminating for one sex over the other is sexism man. Like this isn’t “everything” you’re literally doing what the word means.

No, I simply prefer a male PBP announcer for a basketball team, nothing more and nothing less. You're the one needing to put labels on everything in life and deciding who is being victimized, so knock yourself out.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#77 » by BullyKing » Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:59 am

mjkvol wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

No, I simply prefer a male PBP announcer for a basketball team, nothing more and nothing less. You're the one needing to put labels on everything in life and deciding who is being victimized, so knock yourself out.

I don't suppose there's any chance you see the irony of decrying victimhood why acting like you're being victimized for not being able to hold sexist beliefs without being called a sexist.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
jotachase
Freshman
And1: 96

Post#78 » by jotachase » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:00 am

you have to do be doing a bit at this point. its like your doing everything you can to describe what you're feeling exactly as sexism but getting upset about the word being used
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#79 » by Sixerscan » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:03 am

mjkvol wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

This is a dumb semantics argument so we don’t have to go further here but I’ll just point the irony of you saying I “put labels on everything in life” because I explained to you what a word means.
GoSixersBro
Head Coach

Post#80 » by GoSixersBro » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:50 am

Hard pill to swallow: Everyone in this thread and on Earth is or has been sexist, by definition. It's the societal connotation of this age that elevates its perceived severity. And if you claim otherwise, I don't believe you.

I'm at the gym watching a random 5 v 5 pick-up game. There's 5 guys and 5 girls playing. Teams are picked. One team has 4 guys and 1 girl. The other team has 4 girls and 1 guy. Who am I putting my money on? Which team is everyone on the sideline expecting to win?

By definition, my prejudged assumption the team with 4 girls will lose based on their sex, is sexist. It doesn't mean I believe all women should wear a burqa and not be allowed to show their face in public or shouldn't have the right to vote.

There are levels to everything.
Here Lies The Process

Return to Philadelphia 76ers