Re: PBP announcer Kate Scott will replace Marc Zumoff 

Post#81 » by 76thBearCub » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:53 am

Ffs I'd rather read the entire Simmons thread than this ****
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,912

Post#82 » by mjkvol » Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:10 am

GoSixersBro wrote:Hard pill to swallow: Everyone in this thread and on Earth is or has been sexist, by definition. It's the societal connotation of this age that elevates its perceived severity. And if you claim otherwise, I don't believe you.

I'm at the gym watching a random 5 v 5 pick-up game. There's 5 guys and 5 girls playing. Teams are picked. One team has 4 guys and 1 girl. The other team has 4 girls and 1 guy. Who am I putting my money on? Which team is everyone on the sideline expecting to win?

By definition, my prejudged assumption the team with 4 girls will lose based on their sex, is sexist. It doesn't mean I believe all women should wear a burqa and not be allowed to show their face in public or shouldn't have the right to vote.

There are levels to everything.

Thank you. This dead on nails it.

My issue was the idea of it somehow being seen as wrong (thus the immediate label 'sexist') to have a preference of a male PBP announcer. My mistake. This is how people are being programmed to think about everything now, so you guys were simply doing what comes naturally.

If I was doing the hiring for the job and only interviewed men, now you have something. I'm a fan with an opinion. As you say, very different levels.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#83 » by Sixerscan » Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:20 am

GoSixersBro wrote:Hard pill to swallow: Everyone in this thread and on Earth is or has been sexist, by definition. It's the societal connotation of this age that elevates its perceived severity. And if you claim otherwise, I don't believe you.

I'm at the gym watching a random 5 v 5 pick-up game. There's 5 guys and 5 girls playing. Teams are picked. One team has 4 guys and 1 girl. The other team has 4 girls and 1 guy. Who am I putting my money on? Which team is everyone on the sideline expecting to win?

By definition, my prejudged assumption the team with 4 girls will lose based on their sex, is sexist. It doesn't mean I believe all women should wear a burqa and not be allowed to show their face in public or shouldn't have the right to vote.

There are levels to everything.

Completely agree with the first paragraph. That said, discriminating based on sex in a situation where obvious differences in physical attributes between the sexes is relevant like in a sport is completely different from discriminating in something where they are not relevant. Obviously physical attributes aren't very relevant when it comes to announcing basketball games, see Marc Zumoff.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,756

Post#84 » by Sixersftw » Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:53 am

Sixerscan wrote: Obviously physical attributes aren't very relevant when it comes to announcing basketball games, see Marc Zumoff.

Marc Zumoff is Jacked. not only that but he wears the freshest clothes, eats at the chillest restaurants and hangs out with the hottest dudes.

What a weird thread. This dude is totally cool being a sexist but just wants to be called something else. its weird. Everyone has some views that are imperfect. If it isn't systemically **** or hurting someone, just own it.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#85 » by mjkvol » Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:50 pm

Sixersftw wrote:
Sixerscan wrote: Obviously physical attributes aren't very relevant when it comes to announcing basketball games, see Marc Zumoff.

What a weird thread. This dude is totally cool being a sexist but just wants to be called something else. its weird. Everyone has some views that are imperfect. If it isn't systemically **** or hurting someone, just own it.

If this is your passive aggressive way of referring to me without quoting me, I'm "totally cool" with being able to freely express an opinion or preference, not fitting into whatever label you feel this bizarre need to apply. That's the only thing I'll "own", and very happily, thank you. I'm done here.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#86 » by Sixerscan » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:43 pm

mjkvol wrote:
Sixersftw wrote:

If this is your passive aggressive way of referring to me without quoting me, I'm "totally cool" with being able to freely express an opinion or preference, not fitting into whatever label you feel this bizarre need to apply. That's the only thing I'll "own", and very happily, thank you. I'm done here.

You're allowed to have an opinion about other people and other people are allowed to have an opinion about your opinion.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,756

Post#87 » by Sixersftw » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:45 pm

mjkvol wrote:
Sixersftw wrote:

Nothing passive aggressive, I was definitely referring to you. I don't think anyone has tried to stifle your opinion. I just don't understand why the definition is so offensive when the action (opinion) is congruent with that definition.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 10,079

Post#88 » by Murray_17 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:46 pm

Iverson Armband wrote:Sure, if a simple difference of opinion is that funny to you and you want to operate like a middle schooler, that’s certainly within your right.

Sorry if i find hilarious that people who like to complain about sensitivity and stuff, throw a tantrum the minute they get confronted about their opinions.

Specially hilarious if you talk about how message boards are not to be take seriously.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,837

Post#89 » by Negrodamus » Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:13 pm

GoSixersBro wrote:I'm at the gym watching a random 5 v 5 pick-up game. There's 5 guys and 5 girls playing. Teams are picked. One team has 4 guys and 1 girl. The other team has 4 girls and 1 guy. Who am I putting my money on? Which team is everyone on the sideline expecting to win?

The thread is talking about a job where there is no inherent physiological advantages (on avg), like size and strength, and the only difference between her and every other PBP announcer is the pitch of their voice. Is a lower, deeper voice inherently better or are we conditioned to only like male commentary for men's sports?
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,494

Post#90 » by GoSixersBro » Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:43 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
GoSixersBro wrote:I'm at the gym watching a random 5 v 5 pick-up game. There's 5 guys and 5 girls playing. Teams are picked. One team has 4 guys and 1 girl. The other team has 4 girls and 1 guy. Who am I putting my money on? Which team is everyone on the sideline expecting to win?

The thread is talking about a job where there is no inherent physiological advantages (on avg), like size and strength, and the only difference between her and every other PBP announcer is the pitch of their voice. Is a lower, deeper voice inherently better or are we conditioned to only like male commentary for men's sports?

Huh? My pick-up game scenario was only to demonstrate casual sexism. It wasn't written to compare whether Kate Scott or any female can be successful as a PBP.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
Iverson Armband
Starter
And1: 1,594

Post#91 » by Iverson Armband » Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:01 pm

Murray_17 wrote:
Iverson Armband wrote:Sure, if a simple difference of opinion is that funny to you and you want to operate like a middle schooler, that’s certainly within your right.

Sorry if i find hilarious that people who like to complain about sensitivity and stuff, throw a tantrum the minute they get confronted about their opinions.

Specially hilarious if you talk about how message boards are not to be take seriously.

Lol, nice goal post shift. I’m out.
always a jump shot away.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#92 » by BullyKing » Thu Oct 7, 2021 11:18 pm

MJKVOL AND THE PROCESS - FIND A SAFE SPACE

I kind of like her so far. Pretty natural, stays within the flow of the game. Still developing chemistry with Alaa obviously and can be a little overly descriptive (like she was calling on the radio) but overall seems really smooth.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,844

Post#93 » by XtremeDunkz » Thu Oct 7, 2021 11:24 pm

BullyKing wrote:MJKVOL AND THE PROCESS - FIND A SAFE SPACE

I kind of like her so far. Pretty natural, stays within the flow of the game. Still developing chemistry with Alaa obviously and can be a little overly descriptive (like she was calling on the radio) but overall seems really smooth.
First thing I thought was she talks too much like she has a radio audience. Will get annoying real quick.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#94 » by mjkvol » Fri Oct 8, 2021 12:49 am

BullyKing wrote:MJKVOL AND THE PROCESS - FIND A SAFE SPACE

Not sure how to respond to that. Didn't have a chance to catch the broadcast tonight.

Listen, I just prefer a male calling the games. If having that opinion based on too many years of hearing sports a certain way must come with a label, fine. Carry on and enjoy. And go Sixers.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,866

Post#95 » by Stanford » Fri Oct 8, 2021 1:14 am

XtremeDunkz wrote:First thing I thought was she talks too much like she has a radio audience. Will get annoying real quick.

Yeah, those announcer affectations are mega annoying
TheBallsDeeper
Starter
And1: 2,114

Post#96 » by TheBallsDeeper » Fri Oct 8, 2021 7:50 am

GoSixersBro wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

Huh? My pick-up game scenario was only to demonstrate casual sexism. It wasn't written to compare whether Kate Scott or any female can be successful as a PBP.

You're pick up game analogy made no sense.

The probability of a male being able to beat a female in basketball is high, it's based on average physical traits. It's not sexist, it can be proved scientifically. To try and compare that back to someone sitting courtside talking about basketball is pretty stupid. There is a lot of casual sexism going around, and a lot more straight-up blatant sexism, but your example is neither.
GoSixersBro
Head Coach

Post#97 » by GoSixersBro » Fri Oct 8, 2021 1:53 pm

TheBallsDeeper wrote:
GoSixersBro wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

The probability of a male being able to beat a female in basketball is high, it's based on average physical traits. It's not sexist, it can be proved scientifically. To try and compare that back to someone sitting courtside talking about basketball is pretty stupid. There is a lot of casual sexism going around, and a lot more straight-up blatant sexism, but your example is neither.

Incorrect. Both examples are sexism by definition. Any scientific conclusion doesn't change that. The assumption of who would win does.
Here Lies The Process
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#98 » by Sixerscan » Fri Oct 8, 2021 2:41 pm

GoSixersBro wrote:
TheBallsDeeper wrote:
GoSixersBro wrote:

Incorrect. Both examples are sexism by definition. Any scientific conclusion doesn't change that. The assumption of who would win does.

Maybe by some strict definition of the word but I don't think most rational people care about discriminating based on sex when there's a well founded reason for it like physical differences when you are doing a physical activity.

And yes if you are given literally no other information other than gender then you have to make decisions based on what you have available, but I'm not sure what real world situation someone would be in where they have to make a decision of any kind of importance based on nothing other than gender unless there's a well founded reason for it that outweighs any kind of detriment to the gender you are discriminating against.

In your example you can see the players, so you're not really picking them based on their reproductive organs you are picking them based on their physical attributes that you can see and what you know about the players. If the guys are 3rd graders and the women are UConn you're probably picking the women.

It's just kind of a silly example compared to what we are talking about here.
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,546

Post#99 » by SixthStreet » Fri Oct 8, 2021 3:13 pm

I thought she was pretty solid. I think she'll grow into the role just fine. Most new PBP men/women on any network in any sport sound rough around the edges in the beginning. I don't know how much basketball PBP she's done but it looks like she's got raw talent to mold.

It's not an apples to apples comparison, but Taryn Hatcher was worse than awful when she started on Flyers pre and post game live. I couldn't believe they elevated her from her ice-level role on the Flyers broadcast. Those shows were simply unwatchable for the first half year or so. Her predecessor, I forgot who was unremarkable, but was still much better. But as Hatcher got more comfortable she started to develop good chemistry with Hartnell and Jones and those shows now are pretty funny and informative (often moreso than the Flyers themselves). It's now the best studio show on NBCSP by a mile, IMO.

I can see a similar path with Scott on the broadcast.
GoSixersBro
Head Coach

Post#100 » by GoSixersBro » Fri Oct 8, 2021 3:37 pm

Levels to everything. Remove emotion and move on.
Here Lies The Process

Return to Philadelphia 76ers