ImageImageImage

Joel: unchained.

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,848

Re: Joel: unchained. 

Post#321 » by mjkvol » Sun Jan 9, 2022 1:47 am

SixthStreet wrote:I think the front office needs to be careful and not dive into this overwhelming fan mindset of Joel's 2-3 year window. I think he's going to just evolve over time and remain a player you can build a contender out of into his mid 30s health permitting.

Embiid's window is a lot longer than most think.

Agreed. Embiid is not only getting better, he is getting smarter as a player. This guy has clearly studied other players and understands that longevity as an elite player will only come by maintaining his health, which will require being more intelligent and versatile as a player. That includes learning from and applying the way HOFers like Hakeem and Dirk went about their business.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 9,984

Post#322 » by Murray_17 » Sun Jan 9, 2022 2:11 am

With his jumpshot and frame Embiid will probably be an impactful player into his 33 or 34 years. If you look at him right now, he only need to jump on his fade aways.

At that age he obviously will not have superstar impact but still a starting center on a great team, specially if you need a center that can space the floor.
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,536

Post#323 » by SixthStreet » Sun Jan 9, 2022 4:42 pm

I have no doubt that the player Joel will take from as he ages is Duncan. Duncan didn't have superstar raw numbers towards the end but he was still clearly their best player until Kawhi took the mantle at the very end of run. I see that as Embiid's trajectory.

He's going to make the game easier for the next generation of Sixers.
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#324 » by VDT » Sun Jan 9, 2022 7:59 pm

SixthStreet wrote:I think the front office needs to be careful and not dive into this overwhelming fan mindset of Joel's 2-3 year window. I think he's going to just evolve over time and remain a player you can build a contender out of into his mid 30s health permitting.

No, even Hakeem, who was shorter, more athletic and extremely skilled kept his superstar impact until 32-33. The position is quite taxing, and the bigger you are the harder it is to keep up as you age. Shaq was in steep decline in his early 30s, Robinson was more of a roleplayer after his injury. Duncan's last year that he scored above 20 ppg (barely) was when he was 30. And that's if they are no injuries. The time to win is now and for the next 2-3 years. Embiid is turning 28 this March, that's the age tha most players peak (Jordan in 1991, Shaq in 2000 etc). The pressure to make a move is huge and the only reason Morey hasnt done anything yet is because he knows that Simmons is his last somewhat major trade asset, so he has to get the trade right.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,692

Post#325 » by rzzzzz » Sun Jan 9, 2022 10:54 pm

Keeping in mind that Sam sent Jo to some high tech PT joint in Qatar to strengthen that navicular, I think the move is to get him into quality yoga, to get limber and prevent wear and tear as long as possible. (He really should show up on Kareem’s doorstep.)
TheBallsDeeper
Starter
And1: 2,114

Post#326 » by TheBallsDeeper » Sun Jan 9, 2022 10:55 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:
TheBallsDeeper wrote:

???

Most here are saying his prime may be short due to health concerns. You say you don't agree, may have a long prime if his health is ok.

Makes sense........

He will be around longer than Simmons and Kyrgios, that's for sure.

Probably the dumbest comment I've ever read on this site.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,000

Post#327 » by Bum Adebayo » Sun Jan 9, 2022 11:14 pm

TheBallsDeeper wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:
TheBallsDeeper wrote:???

Most here are saying his prime may be short due to health concerns. You say you don't agree, may have a long prime if his health is ok.

Makes sense........

You think I'm wrong? Simmons is a nobody without his athleticism, Kyrgios will retire around or even before the 30 yo mark, he doesn't give a **** about tennis and he will have enough money. Embiid with a bum knee will have much better longevity than healthy Simmons and healthy Kyrgios, prove me wrong.
Horrible takes since 2016
TheBallsDeeper
Starter

Post#328 » by TheBallsDeeper » Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:35 am

Bum Adebayo wrote:
TheBallsDeeper wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:

You think I'm wrong? Simmons is a nobody without his athleticism, Kyrgios will retire around or even before the 30 yo mark, he doesn't give a **** about tennis and he will have enough money. Embiid with a bum knee will have much better longevity than healthy Simmons and healthy Kyrgios, prove me wrong.

What the hell has Kyrios got to do with the NBA, and why are you obsessed with him?
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,732

Post#329 » by Mik317 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:52 pm

he's Australian and Bum hates them because he hates Ben and his fans.

it weird
#NeverGonnaBeGood
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,898

Post#330 » by kuclas » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:14 pm

VDT wrote:

No, even Hakeem, who was shorter, more athletic and extremely skilled kept his superstar impact until 32-33. The position is quite taxing, and the bigger you are the harder it is to keep up as you age. Shaq was in steep decline in his early 30s, Robinson was more of a roleplayer after his injury. Duncan's last year that he scored above 20 ppg (barely) was when he was 30. And that's if they are no injuries. The time to win is now and for the next 2-3 years. Embiid is turning 28 this March, that's the age tha most players peak (Jordan in 1991, Shaq in 2000 etc). The pressure to make a move is huge and the only reason Morey hasnt done anything yet is because he knows that Simmons is his last somewhat major trade asset, so he has to get the trade right.

With “load management” nba players can still play at elite levels 2-3 extra years.

I prefer sixers rest embiid Vs Houston tonight. That gives him 5 full days rest.

Play Wednesday/Friday. Rest Saturday.

We are playing him too much like 2017-2018 first half of the season. And his knees acted up second half of the season.

Obviously want to avoid 7-10 seeds. So it’s tricky. But I’m comfortable we will be in the top 6 even if we rest embiid 6-8 games. And hope he doesn’t get injured longer term. Play him less minutes.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager

Post#331 » by Bum Adebayo » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:14 pm

Mik317 wrote:he's Australian and Bum hates them because he hates Ben and his fans.

it weird

Not really, I like Kyrgios because he always speaks his mind. Most Aussie fans are delusional about Simmons though, always trying to diminish Embiid to prop up Simmons, you do get fed up after a while.
I don't even hate Simmons, just huge disappointment with his historically paltry level of play/talent ratio, I only hate Chokovic.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,746

Post#332 » by Negrodamus » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:48 pm

Kyrgios is a fraud.
Tomjas
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,173

Post#333 » by Tomjas » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:42 am

Negrodamus wrote:Kyrgios is a fraud.

I have met him

He’s actually a really nice guy and very genuine

Hewitt is a **** tho
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,183

Post#334 » by ProcessDoctor » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:41 pm

Joel Embiid has led us to be 11th in NET RTG, 10th in ORTG, and 15th in DRTG without having a 2nd banana.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Batum/Oubre/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
Bum Adebayo
General Manager

Post#335 » by Bum Adebayo » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:55 pm

Imagine what Embiid has had to endure playing with Bum Simmons, he has made a huge leap in terms of passing and clutch play, Bum Simmons is a huge hindrance when it matters. The only time he had an actual star alongside him was 2019 Butler and only for half a season, and yet we almost beat the champions. Simmons is just an afterthought.
erving4ever
Ballboy
And1: 24

Post#336 » by erving4ever » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:00 am

When are we gonna trade this bum?
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,692

Post#337 » by rzzzzz » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:30 pm

erving4ever wrote:When are we gonna trade this bum?

Daryl wants the perfect trade. Either bringing back an all star, or cleaning the books of bad contracts. Personally, I just want a really good point guard. Along with another useful player or two. Someone who has a natural knack for delivering, shooting, and can play a little defense. Joel is playing so well this season, it would be criminal not to give him enough to compete.
TheBallsDeeper
Starter

Post#338 » by TheBallsDeeper » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:56 am

Embiid right now is clearly the best player in the league. He is dominating on both ends of the floor.

Without him the Sixers would be playing for the number one pick. The current roster is terrible, they are prime process bad. I do not consider Simmons as part of the roster anymore, which leaves Tobias Harris as the second-best player. Would Harris be the second-best player on any other team in the league?
Players like Curry, Green, Thybulle and Maxey would not start on any contender, but are regular starters for the Sixers. Korkmaz started yesterday, and he probably would not get picked up if he was waived tomorrow, Milton is probably the same (outside of covid ravaged teams top-ups).

Embiid is carrying them to a mid-seed in playoffs - I don't think there is another player in the league right now that could do that.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,014

Post#339 » by eyeatoma » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:50 am

TheBallsDeeper wrote:Embiid right now is clearly the best player in the league. He is dominating on both ends of the floor.

Without him the Sixers would be playing for the number one pick. The current roster is terrible, they are prime process bad. I do not consider Simmons as part of the roster anymore, which leaves Tobias Harris as the second-best player. Would Harris be the second-best player on any other team in the league?
Players like Curry, Green, Thybulle and Maxey would not start on any contender, but are regular starters for the Sixers. Korkmaz started yesterday, and he probably would not get picked up if he was waived tomorrow, Milton is probably the same (outside of covid ravaged teams top-ups).

Embiid is carrying them to a mid-seed in playoffs - I don't think there is another player in the league right now that could do that.

Jokic stans would say Jokic, but I'm not very impressed with their record and I think our roster is just as bad if not worse than theirs. They tend to disagree on that part as well lol.
TheBallsDeeper
Starter

Post#340 » by TheBallsDeeper » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:48 am

eyeatoma wrote:
TheBallsDeeper wrote:Embiid right now is clearly the best player in the league. He is dominating on both ends of the floor.

Jokic stans would say Jokic, but I'm not very impressed with their record and I think our roster is just as bad if not worse than theirs. They tend to disagree on that part as well lol.

I think Jokic is fools gold.

Everyone gets way too excited about a 7 foot player making fancy passes, but Denver are not going to win a championship with him at center. Everyone dismisses Ben Simmons because he can not do one of the main skills needed for a guard, but Jokic has a similar issue as a center.

He's basically a 7 foot slow point guard, who can not really defend any position on the floor at a decent level. Teams need a good a defender at center, play-making can come from every position, but rim-protecting and elite defense come from the center. I don't care what his box scores look like, I think he is the most overrated player in the league and would take about 20 centers before him.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers