ImageImageImage

Joel: unchained.

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

TeamHigh
Junior
And1: 173

Re: Joel: unchained. 

Post#141 » by TeamHigh » Tue Dec 7, 2021 3:19 am

syntax wrote:Jokic leads the league this season in defensive box plus minus. He was 4th last year. He might not block shots but he is an 'anchor'.

He was also 10th in the league in steals last year.

Denver don't block a lot of shots but they get steals and boards. They average the lowest 2nd chance points of any team.

I should be amazed that people still don't know what DBPM is. It's literally in the term: box. BPM is a box score-based stat. And DBPM is especially egregious because it essentially is your total BPM subtracted by your OBPM, since the box score offers almost no stats that accurately assess a player's defensive impact (steals, rebounds, and blocks totals are not a fair reflection of your defense), so a player that has immense offensive impact (in ways beyond the box score) will actually have good DBPM just through leftover difference. It is decided NOT an impact-based stat.

This year Jokic seems committed to defense and is playing better than he ever has, but the last few seasons the Nuggets literally had a better defense with Jokic off the floor than on. Anchor, my foot.
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,909

Post#142 » by Wilfried » Tue Dec 7, 2021 9:46 am

Joel is averaging a career high 4.4 assists while averaging a career low 2.9 to's at the moment.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,035

Post#143 » by Bum Adebayo » Tue Dec 7, 2021 1:56 pm

Yeah his ast/to improves when Bum Simmons is not playing with him, as expected.
Great takes since 2024-04-20
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,975

Post#144 » by ankle420breaker » Wed Dec 8, 2021 1:47 pm

Wouldn't surprise me if he sits out tonight and rests up for Utah tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,878

Post#145 » by Stanford » Wed Dec 8, 2021 1:52 pm

He should be averaging more assists than that considering how much they run the offense through him. His passes are terrible. Shooters are catching them above their heads most of the time.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager

Post#146 » by Bum Adebayo » Wed Dec 8, 2021 1:56 pm

That's Simmons fault, he never teached him how to pass the ball, if we had a real PG all these years then Embiid would be a better passer.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#147 » by Sixerscan » Wed Dec 8, 2021 2:58 pm

Stanford wrote:He should be averaging more assists than that considering how much they run the offense through him. His passes are terrible. Shooters are catching them above their heads most of the time.

His usage rate is down compared to last year and his assist rate is up over 20, which only him and Jokic are doing from the starting center spot. He's never going to be Jokic in that regard but otherwise I think he's improved there.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,858

Post#148 » by Negrodamus » Wed Dec 8, 2021 3:01 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:That's Simmons fault, he never teached him how to pass the ball, if we had a real PG all these years then Embiid would be a better passer.

I’m willing to blame Ben for quite a few things, but this ones a stretch. Unless you’re joking, which I assume you are not.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager

Post#149 » by Bum Adebayo » Wed Dec 8, 2021 3:04 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:That's Simmons fault, he never teached him how to pass the ball, if we had a real PG all these years then Embiid would be a better passer.

I’m willing to blame Ben for quite a few things, but this ones a stretch. Unless you’re joking, which I assume you are not.

Yes his passing has improved a lot, ast% way up and tov% down this year it's because Simmons was holding him back.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,878

Post#150 » by Stanford » Wed Dec 8, 2021 3:08 pm

Sixerscan wrote:His usage rate is down compared to last year

I don't really know how usage rate works, but doesn't it matter when and how that usage is being generated? Seems like that number would be higher last year because he was given the ball in the post and asked to score more. This year he's being asked to pass and initiate offense more.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#151 » by Sixerscan » Wed Dec 8, 2021 3:09 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

Yes his passing has improved a lot, ast% way up and tov% down this year it's because Simmons was holding him back.

Well, that aside, overall Embiid is having a notably worse statistical season so far than he did last year, so I'm not sure if that line of logic is really accomplishing what you want it to.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager

Post#152 » by Bum Adebayo » Wed Dec 8, 2021 3:15 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

Well, that aside, overall Embiid is having a notably worse statistical season so far than he did last year, so I'm not sure if that line of logic is really accomplishing what you want it to.

Yes it does, he has worse percentages because he had covid, but ast% up is because Simmons is not there anymore, because passing is not really impacted by having low form from injury but from having ballhog Simmons refusing to attack the rim and ruin spacing.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#153 » by Sixerscan » Wed Dec 8, 2021 3:16 pm

Stanford wrote:

I don't really know how usage rate works, but doesn't it matter when and how that usage is being generated? Seems like that number would be higher last year because he was given the ball in the post and asked to score more. This year he's being asked to pass and initiate offense more.

Well his turnover rate is also at a career low. Generally you are more prone to turnovers when you are passing more. When you are shooting more your turnover rates tend to be lower because crappy shot attempts don't count as turnovers but crappy passes do.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#154 » by Sixerscan » Wed Dec 8, 2021 3:21 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:

Yes it does, he has worse percentages because he had covid, but ast% up is because Simmons is not there anymore, because passing is not really impacted by having low form from injury but from having ballhog Simmons refusing to attack the rim and ruin spacing.

Nope, he also had worse shooting percentages before he had covid this year.
Wilfried
Assistant Coach

Post#155 » by Wilfried » Wed Dec 8, 2021 3:25 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
Stanford wrote:

Well his turnover rate is also at a career low. Generally you are more prone to turnovers when you are passing more. When you are shooting more your turnover rates tend to be lower because crappy shot attempts don't count as turnovers but crappy passes do.

True but his assists are up too

Painfull to see Embiid has the second highest assists per game on our team, seems like a recipe for disaster
Wilfried
Assistant Coach

Post#156 » by Wilfried » Wed Dec 8, 2021 3:27 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:Well, that aside, overall Embiid is having a notably worse statistical season so far than he did last year, so I'm not sure if that line of logic is really accomplishing what you want it to.

Correct, but a lot of players started the season bad at shooting (new ball?)

Think it's also logically that he has less good and open shots now Simmons isn't playing.
And his 2 very bad (post-Covid) duds against Orlando and Boston haven't helped his %'s
Let's judge at the end of the season
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#157 » by Sixerscan » Wed Dec 8, 2021 3:31 pm

Wilfried wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
Stanford wrote:

Painfull to see Embiid has the second highest assists per game on our team, seems like a recipe for disaster

By career "low" with the turnovers I mean that in a good way. Assists are up turnovers are down, both good signs for him as a passer.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager

Post#158 » by Bum Adebayo » Wed Dec 8, 2021 3:42 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:Well, that aside, overall Embiid is having a notably worse statistical season so far than he did last year, so I'm not sure if that line of logic is really accomplishing what you want it to.

Bro it's the new Wilson ball, it clealy affects shooting percentage. So shooting percentage and scoring down because Wilson ball and covid, passing improved because there is no Simmons around, easy to understand.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#159 » by Sixerscan » Wed Dec 8, 2021 3:49 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:

Bro it's the new Wilson ball, it clealy affects shooting percentage.

His shooting percentages are lower relative to the league average too. You can come up with 20 different explanations or maybe just accept that not having a very good passer playing with him all the time has some impact on his scoring. It's ok.
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#160 » by kuclas » Wed Dec 8, 2021 3:49 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
Wilfried wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:

By career "low" with the turnovers I mean that in a good way. Assists are up turnovers are down, both good signs for him as a passer.

Embiid assists are up simply cause he has another shooter to hit the open jumper. I always knew embiid could get his assist rate up to 4 maybe 5 one day.

Unless Simmons is in the dunker spot. Simmons is not gonna to get embiid an assist.

Like if Jokic played with Simmons. Jokic is a very good passer. But Jokic assist rate would go down by 2 if he was passing the ball back out to Simmons to shoot. Which we all know Simmons won’t shoot.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers